IGNORED

Kids Never need Milk! Or juice!

AddieBelle

I didnt say had the same contraceptive abilities. It has the same affect on your estrogen hormones, as I stated in the previous sentence. BC pills are a mixture of estrogen and progestin. To have a contraceptive ability, you need the progestin, which is similar to progesterone.

Do you have any scientific studies to prove this? I did a quick google, but didn't look too hard, and all I found was really biased sites including one that claimed soy products are making your sons gay. :roll:

We drink juice occasionally and sometimes chocolate milk. None of use here are huge fans of milk. But I hardly think milk and juice are the worst things in the world. I'm just cheap and don't feel like buying juice. I do have a juicer so I'll make juice sometimes. But I'm also lazy and it is a hassle, so I don't do it that often.

Is milk the new peanut butter?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any scientific studies to prove this? I did a quick google, but didn't look too hard, and all I found was really biased sites including one that claimed soy products are making your sons gay. :roll:

We drink juice occasionally and sometimes chocolate milk. None of use here are huge fans of milk. But I hardly think milk and juice are the worst things in the world. I'm just cheap and don't feel like buying juice. I do have a juicer so I'll make juice sometimes. But I'm also lazy and it is a hassle, so I don't do it that often.

:lol:

I don't think anything will surpass that thread/war. Kind of glad I was not posting then my only contribution would have been 'Seriously? People really do eat that gloopy stuff?' It's not a huge food stuff here although my partner loves it. What is worse is he actually puts real butter on the bread first. To each his own heart attack :lol:

I do like a bit smeared on a stick of celery sometimes. Is it super cheap in the US? Is that why it seems to be a go to food for kids as per that thread?

...Is milk the new peanut butter?

Exactly. (Juice hasn't quite made the list yet).

This is one of the things I hate on FJ. The unwritten-but-definitely-exists list of topics not to be touched with a ten foot pole.

Iron helps us play!!!

Isn't Kia Ora that super cheap watered down orange stuff? It vaguely rings a bell, but I don't think we have it in Australia anymore.

I'd be highly impressed if there are any (reputable) studies backing this up. Also I'd love to know how it can be healthier to eat hemp seeds, if they're removing things like mercury from the soil? Usually when a plant does that it is because the mercury is now accumulating in the plant. I don't know about anyone else, but eating mercury isn't my thing.

Iron helps us play!!!

Isn't Kia Ora that super cheap watered down orange stuff? It vaguely rings a bell, but I don't think we have it in Australia anymore.

:lol: :lol: YES YES Around in the 70s ..I must check and see if it is still available.

:lol: :lol: YES YES Around in the 70s ..I must check and see if it is still available.

I wasn't born until 84 so its been available here until at least the 90s.

This is one of the things I hate on FJ. The unwritten-but-definitely-exists list of topics not to be touched with a ten foot pole.

Meh. You can bring them up but that doesn't mean anyone else has to discuss them, or hold back from pointing out that discussing those topics rarely brings about anything but disagreement and thread gridlock.

I wasn't born until 84 so its been available here until at least the 90s.

Oh my. I'll look next time I'm shopping. Had no idea it was around that recently.

Guest Anonymous

Kia Ora was/is a cordial not a juice, I think. It was "too orangey for crows" if I remember rightly? :lol:

:lol:

I don't think anything will surpass that thread/war. Kind of glad I was not posting then my only contribution would have been 'Seriously? People really do eat that gloopy stuff?' It's not a huge food stuff here although my partner loves it. What is worse is he actually puts real butter on the bread first. To each his own heart attack :lol:

I do like a bit smeared on a stick of celery sometimes. Is it super cheap in the US? Is that why it seems to be a go to food for kids as per that thread?

It is pretty cheap here and things like WIC cover peanut butter. I love peanuts and peanut butter. Peanuts are pretty cool to watch grow because the flowers start up above the ground and then dive below to produce peanuts. My grandparents used to grow them and my grandma used to make and can her own peanut butter. Now they realize home canned peanut butter can kill you, but we managed to not die. :lol:

Life can kill you, too ;)

The fixation on being healthy, eating healthy and all this makes me think people want to die healthy. But what do we die of then? Boredom? :D

It is pretty cheap here and things like WIC cover peanut butter. I love peanuts and peanut butter. Peanuts are pretty cool to watch grow because the flowers start up above the ground and then dive below to produce peanuts. My grandparents used to grow them and my grandma used to make and can her own peanut butter. Now they realize home canned peanut butter can kill you, but we managed to not die. :lol:

:lol: It is amazing any of us survived our childhoods. I remember going to get butter from a dairy for my Nana, the guy cut some meat, then patted the butter into shape with his hands he wiped on his manky apron, wrapped it in paper and tied it with string he bit with his teeth. A rather unique health and safety moment :D

USA has such a diverse climate it can support such a variety of crops. Nuts of all kinds are really quite expensive here :( Not so much peanuts we call them monkey nuts for some reason. In their shells they are quite inexpensive. I use a lot of pine nuts in cooking salads etc. Really expensive :(

Not your grandparents and parents. All of our grandparents ate real food 'cause that's what there was. They didn't have Kraft Mac & Cheese yet. The last couple of generations. From about the 70s to now. People born during the last 40 years. The Betty Crocker times. I don't think they had nachos and Cool Whip in the early 1900s. Milk wasn't as readily available and inexpensive as it is now. In urban populations, poor and middle-class families used canned and powdered milk. And nobody liked it.

Our food supply changed. Shipping and availability. We got mega-supermarket chains with instant product on the shelves. Convenience foods. And very little public education on nutrition disseminated the way it is now.

The US Department of Agriculture tracks this data. Tons of great information in science-based academic papers.

I think that this is going to be limited to some groups, because it's certainly not true among the people I know, or grew up with. Pretty big generalization.

Kraft Mac and Cheese was invented in 1914 and was widely available for home use in 1937.

Velveeta was available in 1928.

Cool Whip was available in the 1960's.

Nachos were in the 1940's.

Wonder Bread was 1920.

Yoo-Hoo was 1923.

Kool-aid 1927.

Betty Crocker time has actually been since the 1930's.

So, yeah, people were eating "fake food" before the 1970's. :lol:

You really need to be careful with soy products. Soy creates a hormone very similar to estrogen and actually slows, and if consumed enough, stops your natural production of estrogen. Drinking a glass of soy milk has the same affect on your hormones as taking 10 BC pills.

Those of us who had estrogen dependent breast cancer cannot have soy, for exactly that reason.

Yep, you're right. Economic data/buying habits of American consumers/market trends/supply chain statistics tracked in the US in the last 50 years are all wrong. It's a conspiracy by universities and the government.

Every American family ate like they lived on a farm, drank fresh milk and ate cheese. But also at the same time, cooked boxed meals and every grandpa ran down to the convenience store for nachos when he returned from serving in World War II.

Must be why Shaun White is so popular, when he's really not...

I've been trying to come up with a generous kind rational organic explanation for everybody's milk "allergies." I guess there isn't a reason. I guess my household is unique - we drink milk and eat dairy every day. We just eat food. Apparently we're the only ones. Brilliant! Who knew?

Yep, now it's soy.

Somebody's gonna have to connect the dots for me on how everyone is so goddamned fat when they can't eat anything!

I was just pointing out that our grandparents did actually have Kraft Mac and Cheese and processed foods. They were more expensive, for sure and not eaten as often, but those things were available.

My mom, raised during the 40's and 50's never drank milk or ate cheese. Yogurt was like unheard of in her house.

We actually eat fresh, local food here in my house too, but we don't like milk.

And going into everyone being fat, well, we are a society that sits more than we used to. I would think that plays into it a lot.

ETA: My dad actually did eat the farm way, well because he was being raised on an actual farm. My mom, they gardened some, but both parents worked full time and had to try to care for elderly relatives, so they went for more processed meals during the week. It was the 70's when my grandparents(and parents) started really growing and canning their own foods. And that was because my grandparents retired. My parents were back to the land hippies before they turned into religious cult followers.

I think I must be strange, I do like drinking milk but only skimmed, or semi-skimmed sometimes in hot drinks or on cereal. Full-fat is too creamy for me! The other day I got a coffee from Costa and forgot to specify a skinny one, and it was like drinking a dessert! And this was just a simple coffee with a single shot of vanilla syrup, not one of the dessert-in-a-cup frap type drinks.

Just chiming in to agree with everyone else: the standards for cows milk in this country are abysmal, I don't drink it and neither will my children.

Which country? We don't all live in the same country.

Full fat milk makes me feel sick to my stomach, like I ate a super rich desert.

Which country? We don't all live in the same country.

This.

And if they are in the US, they are misled by the animal rights groups again. And if they don't want conventional milk, there are many other options.

I just don't get everyone's obsession with what other people are eating. The only time it should matter is if a child is being malnourished. Otherwise mind your own business. If billy bob wants to bath in a tub of liquid gold velveeta, good for him. If jimmy thinks killing animals is terrible and wants to eat an all organic raw vegan diet, more power to him.

Worry about what you feed yourself, not what every other Tom, Dick and Harry are doing.

I'm going to regret this.

What is Wonder Bread?

It is seriously soft, white bread that is gummy if you smash it up. It is made from flour that has most of it's nutrients removed in refining and then had a bunch of vitamins added back in.

Archived