IGNORED

Kids Never need Milk! Or juice!

AddieBelle

Don't know if they've been discussed here before but at Graceful-homesteading she explains how her kids don't ever get glasses of milk because they don't need it. She also never buys juice because kids don't need that either. Yet another fundie denying her kids nutritional basics.

"Here are the ladies that are giving me milk right now. We buy two gallons a week for now. Yes, it lasts us because I don't give glasses of milk out (unless we have cookies). "

Granted, they do use milk if they have cereal and for cooking but two gallons a week does not seem like much for a family of that size, especially with small children. We go through at least that much and there are three of us. When we have my nephews its double that.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't fault her on the juice part, cause some juices do have absurd amounts of added sugar, but saying kids don't need milk? That's just stupid.

They don't need milk. No humans need cows milk, no other species drinks milk after they are weaned. (Except domestic house cats, and you really shouldn't. Cats are lactose intolerant.)

The milk lobby is the reason everyone thinks that kids need milk. Big money to promote their product + advertising = people drinking way more milk than they need.

EDIT: I sound like Zsu. Um, I don't think it's bad if anyone else gives their kids milk, but I don't think it's doing 1/2 of what people claim it does, and the milk you buy at the store is jam packed with chemicals. Americans drink more milk than other countries, and we still have a really high rate of osteoporosis. I don't think it's horrible - it does have a lot of things that are good for people - but I don't think that it's required.

Don't know if they've been discussed here before but at Graceful-homesteading she explains how her kids don't ever get glasses of milk because they don't need it. She also never buys juice because kids don't need that either. Yet another fundie denying her kids nutritional basics.

"Here are the ladies that are giving me milk right now. We buy two gallons a week for now. Yes, it lasts us because I don't give glasses of milk out (unless we have cookies). "

Granted, they do use milk if they have cereal and for cooking but two gallons a week does not seem like much for a family of that size, especially with small children. We go through at least that much and there are three of us. When we have my nephews its double that.

We don't really drink milk. I might occasionally buy some for baking, but that's it. I don't think it's that weird to not give your kid cups of milk or juice.

Meh. Kids who are beyond the stage where they need breastmilk or formula should really only get two to three servings of dairy a day, including milk, cheese and yogurt. And juice should really be a treat and not a staple. No one of any age actually needs it. Two gallons seems light, but it is by no means proof of inadequate nutrition.

Yup. Nobody needs milk or dairy at all for that matter. It is not for human consumption. However, if you don't consume dairy you have to make sure you get your calcium elsewhere. Somehow I doubt she is preparing big bowls of leafy greens for them every day.

They don't need milk. No humans need cows milk, no other species drinks milk after they are weaned. (Except domestic house cats, and you really shouldn't. Cats are lactose intolerant.)

The milk lobby is the reason everyone thinks that kids need milk. Big money to promote their product + advertising = people drinking way more milk than they need.

EDIT: I sound like Zsu. Um, I don't think it's bad if anyone else gives their kids milk, but I don't think it's doing 1/2 of what people claim it does, and the milk you buy at the store is jam packed with chemicals. Americans drink more milk than other countries, and we still have a really high rate of osteoporosis. I don't think it's horrible - it does have a lot of things that are good for people - but I don't think that it's required.

QFT. The cow's milk that most of us grew up with is not the cow's milk of today. rGBH was approved for use in 1993, and there are some frightening facts out there about what that does to humans, not to mention the cows.

There are plenty of other ways to get calcium into your diet without dairy-collard greens, tofu, oranges, almonds.

Yeah, I've heard that juice is the new no-no, even 100% juice with no added sugar. I believe they even have rules in my state about the amount of juice that can be given at state-run pre-schools.

Every single thing I read lately makes me feel like I am 100, I swear. Is it just me, or does anyone else who is a little older feel like everything.single.thing. is very, very extremely regimented now ? Food, birth, etc. etc.

Yeah, I've heard that juice is the new no-no, even 100% juice with no added sugar. I believe they even have rules in my state about the amount of juice that can be given at state-run pre-schools.

Every single thing I read lately makes me feel like I am 100, I swear. Is it just me, or does anyone else who is a little older feel like everything.single.thing. is very, very extremely regimented now ? Food, birth, etc. etc.

It seems to me like everything old is new again. I am mid 30's, and I honestly was never given juice as a child, except an occasional small cup of orange juice with breakfast. I never really knew that juice was a huge thing until my friends began lugging juice boxes everywhere when they had toddlers. I don't plan on giving the offspring much juice, It just seems like an expensive way to give him extra sugar.

Kids definitely don't need juice, even the 100% kind. It's a major reason for the childhood obesity epidemic - people giving toddlers and up juice to drink all the time to sip. I'm assuming this blogger is in the US, where we all have access to clean water. If your kid is thirsty, that's what he should be drinking. Children and adults should be obtaining their daily recommended servings of fruit as actual fruit, complete with fiber.

Per the ADA: http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=8055 (see section on Fruit)

Yeah, as long as you get calcium from another source, I don't see anything wrong with not eating dairy/drinking milk. Same with whole fruit vs. juice.

That being said, I love both milk and juice.

I see nothing wrong with children NOT consuming a mountain of dairy. It depends on the family's tastes and preferences and while milk tastes good to a lot of people it's not necessary for good nutrition past weaning. We go through 1-1.5 gallons of milk a week but that's because I'm pregnant and absolutely crave milk so most of it is from me (I'm only a milk drinker when pregnant). Our 2.5 year old daughter likes milk but she also eats yogurt daily and cheese frequently so her other dairy consumption offsets milk drinking to an extent. My husband was lactose intolerant from birth until his teens so has never really been a milk drinker, even on cereal.

Most doctors and dentists are of the opinion that juice should be consumed only sparingly, if at all, by young children. Our pediatrician, pediatric dentist, and a pediatric nutritionist have all recommended that juice should be an occasional treat only. Juice contributes to childhood obesity and early childhood caries (cavities). Our daughter has had juice a literal handful of times in her life and is no worse for wear.

All of our dairy purchases are organic or at a minimum rGBH- and antibiotic-free. The extra expense is worth it to our family, both to avoid exposure to our kid(s) and because I drink so much milk while pregnant. We're fortunate to have the means to pay for this milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. We send organic milk to daycare for our child to drink, rather than the conventionally-produced milk that is included in daycare tuition. Her daycare center doesn't offer juice at all; after the age of 1 year the children have free access to water throughout the day and are offered milk at breakfast and lunch time.

I love milk. I drink about 100 gallons of it a day (no exageration). Having said that, I think the benefits of milk are over rated for a lot of the world's population. Most of the world is lactose intolerant. Really, the only populations that can digest milk on a large scale after they are babies have ancestors that drank a lot of milk. This is pretty much limited to northern Europeans and people descended from pastoralists who raised milk baring animals in dry climates who would have used milk instead of water. Otherwise, people can get their calcium elsewhere.

Anyway, if you like milk and want to drink it's not bad for you. And if you don't drink milk, more for me :)

Most of the time, my kids drink water. Juice is too sugary, so I save it for breakfast smoothies which are blended with whole fruits.

Milk has some protein and calcium, but it's not essential if there are other sources of calcium and vitamin D.

When you consider that it takes several pieces of fruit to make one cup of juice, you are getting all of the sugar from the equivalent of 5 or six oranges every time you have a small cup with none of the fibre etc. I had gestational diabetes and one of the first things I was told by my OB was no juice.

I love milk and juice (I live in an area with seriously awful-tasting tap water, and I'm not a big soda fan, so I like milk and juice for cold drinks) but I agree, neither are essential for children. It's not like never giving your kids vegetables. I'd rather kids not drink juice or milk than eat tater tot casserole....

I eat cereal for breakfast just about everyday so I have to have milk, usually skim or 1 percent.

I already knew that a big chunk of the world do not drink milk past a certain age. However, during one of my med school lectures, one of our profs shocked a portion of the class when he explained that most of the world was lactose intolerant and do not drink milk after they were weaned. It was quite a cultural shock for some as we live in the milk and corn part of the country. It was assumed milk was just something people give kids to drink. That was a conversation starter after class....

Of course, I was not immune either. My surprise came when I learned that fruit juice was a big no-no for young kids. I knew it was sugary but I didn't realize that even 100% fruit juice was not recommended for children. Growing up not too long ago, I remember parents were told soda was a no-no, but juice was ok (although water was always best). I guess that was revised with a raising childhood obesity epidemic in our country.

I love milk and juice (I live in an area with seriously awful-tasting tap water, and I'm not a big soda fan, so I like milk and juice for cold drinks) but I agree, neither are essential for children. It's not like never giving your kids vegetables. I'd rather kids not drink juice or milk than eat tater tot casserole....

That's basically why I drink milk and juice. Except I don't drink a lot of water because for some reason, I can't drink water on an empty stomach (it makes me feel sick to my stomach) - doesn't matter if it's tap or distilled. I will drink it with meals or bring a water bottle with me when I'm doing something active, though. My other digestive quirk is that dairy is often the only thing I can tolerate when I have some type of digestive/stomach thing going on. LOL. I have a friend who doesn't drink a lot of water for the same reason so I guess it's not that uncommon.

I use milk for cooking, tea, and to drink by itself. I usually prefer dry cereal.

And yeah, I think my parents were also told the juice is OK but pop is not thing. We rarely had pop in the house but we always had juice and my parents still always have juice. I don't like carbonation, though, so I have never been into pop. I remember one of my friends being surprised when her French teacher explained that they don't regularly drink milk in France.

Well I am sorry. But I love juice and I love milk. So I guess I am totally fucked. I also love butter and I could give a rat's arse how bad it is because I am not putting anything else on my bread.

I can't keep up with what I am supposed to to be doing or not doing. By the time I probably take the time to catch up it will all have changed anyway. Or have a new name.

A little of everything in moderation.

I agree that kids don't need juice but I think low-fat dairy is important, for those who can drink/eat it. While you can get calcium from other sources, iirc, the amount of calcium absorbed from dairy sources is higher than from sources like leafy greens. Plus, it's easier to get most kids to drink one cup of low-fat chocolate milk or a cheese stick versus eating a huge spinach salad.

Well I am sorry. But I love juice and I love milk. So I guess I am totally fucked. I also love butter and I could give a rat's arse how bad it is because I am not putting anything else on my bread.

I can't keep up with what I am supposed to to be doing or not doing. By the time I probably take the time to catch up it will all have changed anyway. Or have a new name.

A little of everything in moderation.

I love butter too. I really shouldn't. It's expensive and i'm already overweight.

You may be right...but my concern is that this family is not giving their kids the necessary calcium, protein, etc. from other foods that most people get from milk.

Archived