IGNORED

Kids Never need Milk! Or juice!

AddieBelle

Guest Anonymous

I presume you can buy a whole block of Aero too.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/sho ... late-block

I have been known to get through the whole block in one sitting.

They currently cost £1 for a 105g bar in Asda supermarket. And a 147g easter egg, including 1 chunky aero bar is £1.50. I prefer those old style bars to the chunky individual bars you get nowadays. Sometimes the chunkier bars are 4 or 5 for £1 in the Pound shop though, so can't really complain at that price. :D

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't give up my orange juice. You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I don't care if it's good for me or not, I have to have my OJ like an addict needs a fix. I can't stomach plain milk. It makes me nauseous. But, I do cook with it and pour it over my cereal.

Milk is for going in tea and orange juice is for drinking in pubs when, like me, the medication you're on is a. extensive, and b. not friendly to alcohol. At all other times, they should be avoided like the plague. :evil:

OKToBe, I don't think it's hypocritical not to comment on blogs but to snark here instead. I don't comment on their blogs, what's the point? Here we have a debate and if one of the fundies came here, people would debate and argue points with them. At their blogs they delete all comments they don't agree with and even change the wording of posts they let through. You'd have more luck convincing your local branch of the SWP to convert en masse to the delights of Objectivism (well...anyway, moving swiftly on...;))

So it's not like the two things are the same. If there was a chance you could convince them that fundieism is a crock of old shite and they could experience a glorious awakening in the real world if they threw off their shackles etc etc, and they listened to comments on their blogs, then yeah. But there isn't and they don't so it's not hypocrisy to stay over here.

I was really excited at first, because I thought that was an actual FJ smilie. I'm ashamed of how long I spent looking for it.

I would like to suggest that a "beating a dead horse" emoticon be added.

Back to the juice topic- why is everyone assigning "fruit" automatically to juice? My son is a terrible eater (he was great before he got his mitts on daycare/school food; I should have always packed a lunch). The only way to get vegetables in him is via juice. He will drink the vilest combination of vegetables in juice form - even the greens that resemble old stomach bile.

Guest Anonymous
what, middle-to-late age?

PSA: early 40-somethings are still YOUNG, these days! Please don't steal my youth from me for the sake of an FJ argument. :)

Guest Anonymous

And, while I'm feeling cranky, who the fuck just changed my user title to "Gave Birth on the Toilet"?

Have you no respect for your elders, eh, FJ admin?! :whistle:

PSA: early 40-somethings are still YOUNG, these days! Please don't steal my youth from me for the sake of an FJ argument. :)

LOL, my sincere apologies, anniec. I just didn't know how old Ok is and wanted to cover my bases.

OKToBe, I don't think it's hypocritical not to comment on blogs but to snark here instead. I don't comment on their blogs, what's the point? Here we have a debate and if one of the fundies came here, people would debate and argue points with them. At their blogs they delete all comments they don't agree with and even change the wording of posts they let through. You'd have more luck convincing your local branch of the SWP to convert en masse to the delights of Objectivism (well...anyway, moving swiftly on...;))

So it's not like the two things are the same. If there was a chance you could convince them that fundieism is a crock of old shite and they could experience a glorious awakening in the real world if they threw off their shackles etc etc, and they listened to comments on their blogs, then yeah. But there isn't and they don't so it's not hypocrisy to stay over here.

I'd hate to be accused of reviving the dead horse just to beat him some more but what the hell, I have nothing better to do- my claim of hypocrisy didn't have anything to do with whether or not Ok commented on the fundie's blogs or not.

Ok's position was that if we disagree with someone's bad behavior (her original hypothetical was someone who abuses their spouse, child, and animals), we have an obligation to disagree kindly and gently, in an attempt to persuade them to change said behavior. I do find it hypocritical to take this stance, yet still snark (which, by definition, is not kind or gentle) on a place where we know fundies read and sometimes even visit.

If you're saying people have an obligation to be kind to try to get people to change, it shouldn't matter whether you're doing it on their blog or a third party blog that they read (a similar comparison to, in real life, talking to someone in their house versus standing on the sidewalk outside and yelling at them) Nor did Ok's position state that our obligation to be kind changed based on whether or not the person we disagree with is likely to change their ways (and, in fact, her hypothetical directly contradicts this line of thinking as someone who abuses their spouse, child(ren), and animals would probably be just as unlikely to change their ways as a Maxwell or a Pearl)

I am doing that annoying thing and responding before I read the whole thread, but kids don't actually need milk. What they need is calcium and vitamin d (which is often added to milk) but there are lots of other ways you can get that.

I am terrible about drinking water, so when tree boy was wee I wanted to encourage water as the drink of choice so milk and juice was available but water was offered.

I nursed until he was two though so I didn't really need to transition at the breast milk/formula stage. (Not a judgement, I completely regret nursing that long...I was Internet bullied into it)

If you don't give milk you need to make sure they are getting calcium and fat in other ways.

I am doing that annoying thing and responding before I read the whole thread

Do yourself a favor and get out while you can!

Here be clusterfucks.

Do yourself a favor and get out while you can!

Here be clusterfucks.

REALLY? I thought it was a really entertaining thread. There again with me being middle-aged and all, easily amused :lol:

REALLY? I thought it was a really entertaining thread. There again with me being middle-aged and all, easily amused :lol:

Meh. It got kinda bogged down with gridlock in the middle and while our part was slightly entertaining, it felt like watching a re-run. Maybe it just felt new to you, what with that senility I hear affects people your age ;)

Meh. It got kinda bogged down with gridlock in the middle and while our part was slightly entertaining, it felt like watching a re-run. Maybe it just felt new to you, what with that senility I hear affects people your age ;)

It's the milk it is addling my braincells :?

It's the milk it is addling my braincells :?

Ha- wrong again! It's obviously the sugar in the juice combined with florinated soy additives in Aero bars. They're rotting your brain AND your womb!

Ha- wrong again! It's obviously the sugar in the juice combined with florinated soy additives in Aero bars. They're rotting your brain AND your womb!

Ya I'm fucked. They can take the womble though, nae use to me :lol:

Do you guys like each other or not? I can't tell WTF is going on here.

:eusa-shifty:

:lol:

I would find this board a duller place without Valsa's perspective.

(I do recall she once asked me to dress up in some kinky bridal wear, that was..........a unique moment :lol: )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Think of it like two weary, grizzled veterans from opposing sides, who’ve developed a certain not-quite-fond familiarity with each other after a long history of conflict.

Except far, far less dramatic than that because... well... internet.

:lol:

I would find this board a duller place without Valsa's perspective.

(I do recall she once asked me to dress up in some kinky bridal wear, that was..........a unique moment :lol: )

I'm just gonna go with this answer. Thanks, that's all I needed!

:whistle:

And to go along with one of the other subplots of this thread. I am now eating a mint Aero bar that I picked up at Safeway today.

In my defense, I believe the agreement was that IF we were going to get married, you had to be in a kinky wedding dress.

I think it's very healthy to add some kink to your life, as long as no animals are harmed. And there are no added chemicals! :mrgreen:

P.S. That was my first Mr. Green smile.

Whilst I can see we have gone somewhat off topic, I wanted to add my 2p. I've been lactose intolerant my whole life (yay, preemie!) but didn't find out until I was 21, by which time it had got so bad I could barely study/work.

I hated the taste of soy milk, but after doing some research I discovered the joy of goat's milk (which has not been mentioned here so far). I can have as much goat's dairy as I like and I don't get any symptoms.

Because of acid reflux, I rarely drink juice. When I'm bad I might overload on the fizzy energy drinks, but I can easily substitute with sparkling water, maybe with a splash of cordial if it's a Friday night, lol! (I don't like my cordial strong, most people complain that I just wave the bottle near my glass and I'm happy!)

I breastfed, then formula fed my son and he's had no issues. I did have him on goat's milk at home until he complained about the taste earlier this year, and switched him to cow's milk, but he'll only drink a pint in a week (he's 5). He likes his cereal without milk and rarely drinks a cup. He's asked I stop buying school milk for him because it's "yukky!" - I don't blame him, I was the same age when I asked my Mum to stop getting it for me, after my teacher made me sit in the corner and drink all my milk until I yakked it back up again. I should have aimed for her shoes, but oh well...

I'm really lucky that my kiddo loves fruit and veg. He loves broccoli and fruit such as apples, plums and various berries. I've recently allowed him to start having nuts (not because of allergy worries, but because of the choking hazard for young kids). It costs a fortune on my limited budget, but I won't refuse him his daily fresh fruit and veg. Breakfast is usually yoghurt and fruit, and has been since he was around 2 (although today he discovered the joys of waffles and maple syrup). He loves juice, but I know about the sugars in the ones he likes (as they're often 'juice drinks' rather than 'pure juice', although he gets the latter at my parents' house) and restrict it to 1 cup a day. He is allowed fizzy drinks on special occasions, but mostly he just wants water. His school makes them bring a sports bottle of water to drink throughout the day, year round. The teachers refill it as and when needed. It was a similar set up at his nursery, so he pretty much knows that water is for when you're thirsty, other drinks are treats.

I know I'm really lucky with him. He's gone through picky phases where he'll only eat Heinz tinned macaroni cheese for every meal etc., but I just let him get on with it. I believe in a very relaxed attitude to food, and moderation. I don't diet. Ever. My Mum's eating is quite disordered (she's on a permanent crash diet) because she used to be a dancer and tiny, although she's by no means big now. It's just that from what I've studied at Masters level, I know that a relaxed attitude is the best when it comes to food.

When you think about it, we don't need much more than a very limited diet that covers the basic needs. But where's the fun in that? We have access to yummy things, that in moderation will do little harm and will have other benefits from boosting a sense of wellbeing/satisfaction.

Archived