IGNORED

Kids Never need Milk! Or juice!

AddieBelle

They are insanely overpriced. You might have better luck off amazon.

Never tried amazon, will do that. I just saw a storeowner here. She has a very cool store that sells a fair amount of vintage stuff including all the old popular candies. She's going to a trade show next week and will look for them.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never tried amazon, will do that. I just saw a storeowner here. She has a very cool store that sells a fair amount of vintage stuff including all the old popular candies. She's going to a trade show next week and will look for them.

I just ordered 4 of the chocolate mint bars for slightly over $10.00. I'm a prime member so got free shipping. $2.50/bar is expensive but for a special treat it's worth it.

I'm curious: where do you live that your juice has extra sugar added? In the UK we have labelling requirements and so it is easy to tell the difference between products that are labelled, say, "100% pure orange juice" and "Orange Juice Drink". Is it not the same with the suppliers you use?

Not that I think juice is a necessity, but it can play a pleasant part of a balanced diet.

Yes, 100% juice is labeled as such where I am .... However, if one is in the grocery store, in the juice aisle ... The vast majority of juices are of the sugar-added variety.

Strictly speaking for the daycare, I prefer the cook serve fruit when possible rather than juice to teach healthy habits young. Even 100% apple juice isn't better than eating apple slices.

I'm curious: where do you live that your juice has extra sugar added? In the UK we have labelling requirements and so it is easy to tell the difference between products that are labelled, say, "100% pure orange juice" and "Orange Juice Drink". Is it not the same with the suppliers you use?

Not that I think juice is a necessity, but it can play a pleasant part of a balanced diet.

Yes: This label distinction is also required by US regulation.

I just ordered 4 of the chocolate mint bars for slightly over $10.00. I'm a prime member so got free shipping. $2.50/bar is expensive but for a special treat it's worth it.

If I recall correctly, the price in stores is around $2-$3 as well. The ones around me have mint as well, so when you're out east this summer, you can get a bunch! :)

DD is the only one who will drink straight milk. Hubby doesn't, I can't. *shrug* I get my vitamins, eat leafy greens... I'm doing juuuuuust fine. :)

ETA: And juice still will um... not do good things for dd's tummy. No matter WHAT kind it is. I prefer straight fruit to fruit juice. I believe it's just better for you. *shrug*

I have never been a milk drinker. Blech. My daughter isn't either, though she will sometimes get chocolate milk in restaurants, and she does love milk on her cereal. We do juice in moderation.

I am just happy that people are catching on that you're not OMGz The WORST Parent EVAH!!!1!! if you don't try to push milk on your kid. I've had some people act like it. My kid nursed 'til she was just shy of 2, eats yogurt and cheese like nobody's business, and has loved leafy greens in salad form since she got the teeth in to chew them. I don't care if other people drink 10 gallons a day, but milk is absolutely not necessary in our diets; It's one of a million ways to get those certain vitamins and calcium.

I do agree with commercial juice. You may as well drink Pepsi or Coke. Juice is better made at home with a blender. My concern isn't that they don't drink milk especially but are deficient in other nturients. Fundie types mostly live off cholesterol ladened Ramen noodles and cream of no telling what soup because it's cheap and quick.

I drink milk for the same reason I drink pop or wine, because it tastes good.

I buy 100% fruit juice with no added sugar. We recently discovered it mixes very nicely with Whipped Cream Flavored vodka.

Just chiming in to agree with everyone else: the standards for cows milk in this country are abysmal, I don't drink it and neither will my children. Commercial juice is the same- it's just sugar water. Milk is not the only source of calcium, despite those omnipresent Got Milk campaigns, and if you're paying attention to your child's diet milk is totally unnecessary. Not judging anyone who gives this to their kids or drinks it themselves, but its certainly not cruel to forego it.

It tastes better to you.

So, I should really tack on "in my opinion" or "personally" to everything because you don't understand that it is implied?

Love milk! I have one guy at home - we go through 2 gallons in 3-4 days. We drink tons of water, too. Every meal. Hydration.

Love being able to drink my vitamins. Vitamins come in chocolate, too!

~~ Adult women need milk more than children do.

Juice, on occasion. A six-pack of frozen OJ lasts a couple months. Never sports drinks. Ever. No sugared cereals. No white bread.

Three children: zero cavities into adulthood, zero orthodontia. No weight issues, although we're crazy active and do chores, so maybe it doesn't count.

Juice is juice. Read the label. Some of 'em are sneaky, like Sunny Delight. It's not orange juice; it's basically Tang mixed up for you in a bottle.

I do agree with commercial juice. You may as well drink Pepsi or Coke. Juice is better made at home with a blender. My concern isn't that they don't drink milk especially but are deficient in other nturients. Fundie types mostly live off cholesterol ladened Ramen noodles and cream of no telling what soup because it's cheap and quick.

Weird. I always thought of them as the holistic type, brown bread and organic eggs. Raising chickens and growing their food.

As someone who was raised on super health food of the 60's ( although I'm sure it wouldn't cut it by today's standards ) - there are pluses to organic everything, whole wheat bread, carob ice cream etc etc.... BUT - whenever I went to a friends or got my own money I would eat every single bit of junk food I could get my hands on. I was more moderate with my kids - basically healthy food, organic / no artificial chemicals preferably, but we also had "junk" sometimes --- and they seem to make healthier choices overall now as adults.

Weird. I always thought of them as the holistic type, brown bread and organic eggs. Raising chickens and growing their food.

Three words: Tater-tot casserole. (duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30458/duggar_s_tater_tot_casserole )

And quite a few fundies proudly post recipes of what they feed their families. It seems to consist of an awful lot of convenience foods thrown together to create something new. Surely some fundies are different, but as per the online recipes, I think roddma's assessment seems fair enough.

I am just happy that people are catching on that you're not OMGz The WORST Parent EVAH!!!1!! if you don't try to push milk on your kid. I've had some people act like it.

I just wish people wouldn't immediately hop over to the other extreme and act like you are committing a long, slow, creamy suicide if you so much as stand next to a milk jug! :lol: Okay, that is a bit OTT, but people do look at me like I've made some kind of grave error if I say I happen to like milk (and full fat, no less). And most of the time they have nothing but vague non-science claims to back up their opinion*. Same as the people who think not giving your kids milk will kill them. A lot of people are convinced that there are Right Answers in the world of nutrition, and further, want to evangelize to others that their way is the One True Path to Health. Until it isn't. Then it's on to the next big diet craze.

I don't really see why this is such a huge deal for people. I can have milk. You can have some other drink. And then we will both be hydrated, and can move on with our lives. :D

*One person even, very gravely, informed me that every adult is actually lactose intolerant and that pretty much every illness I have ever had would be cured if I stopped drinking milk. And then couldn't even properly explain what lactose intolerance was. :roll:

I cant handle too much milk/cream/yoghurt and one of the children is the same. When little my older ones didn't drink milk so I was very surprised when #4 asked for milk to drink when he could talk. I do not agree with forcing children or tricking them or adding sugar and flavours to foods to make children eat things sometimes children do not like something for a reason.

And the parents that complain that their children do not eat their dinners but force/allow them to fill up on milk/juice/flavoured drinks/soft drinks is insane. A childs stomach is only so big and giving them a 200ml drink and expecting them to clean their plate is silly.

If I recall correctly, the price in stores is around $2-$3 as well. The ones around me have mint as well, so when you're out east this summer, you can get a bunch! :)

If anyone has a Meijer's - I'm not sure about other areas of the country (I'm in southern OH) but that's where I get mine, and they are only 99 cents! And sometimes they go on sale. They have both the chocolate and the mint versions. I love Meijer's. LOL. The Aero bars are in the international aisle, along with Jaffa Cakes - not my favorite but I think people have mentioned liking those on here before.

The Hershey version someone mentioned upthread was so bad!

Do they have World Market where you are? That's a good place to try.

Do they have World Market where you are? That's a good place to try.

No, I'm way up north in Wisconsin. But I will look in the Twin cities the next time I'm there.

I just wish people wouldn't immediately hop over to the other extreme and act like you are committing a long, slow, creamy suicide if you so much as stand next to a milk jug! :lol: Okay, that is a bit OTT, but people do look at me like I've made some kind of grave error if I say I happen to like milk (and full fat, no less). (snip)

As a fellow full-fat milk lover, I am so penning "long, slow, creamy suicide" onto every container I get from now on. :lol: I don't know anything about whether or not anyone needs cows' milk, but I'm an addict.

I drink milk( full-fat, and when i can found it fresh from the cow, is the best!) and orange juice made with a juice squeezer daily, since i was a child, fresh juice is good and healthy because of the vitamines, is like eating fruit, but i understad that in a big family doing the juice at home will be too much work.

I heard that milk is not good for humans, and there are people who is lactose intolerant, for me milk is fine, and i cant pass a day without eating milk, or cheese or cream or something.. i really like it, so im not going to stop..but i heard that it might be related whit cancer and things like that, well we have to die of something :lol:

... informed me that every adult is actually lactose intolerant and that pretty much every illness I have ever had would be cured if I stopped drinking milk. And then couldn't even properly explain what lactose intolerance was.

Funny, it's the exact opposite. A genuine milk "allergy" is extremely rare and life-threatening. An endocrine issue that would come with a bunch of other problems. There's really actually no such thing.

There's a reason it's called "lactose intolerance." Because it's not an allergy. There's no antigen/antibody response. It's about the presence of certain enzymes in the gastrointestinal system. Enzymes break down proteins.

Some people have lower levels of that enzyme. Here's the thing - the human body adjusts for it, based on what you eat. In the presence of milk products, the body will increase the level of that enzyme. If your diet has little or no dairy, the body reduces the level or even stops producing it, because it's not needed.

The last couple of generations of Americans were raised with little or no dairy and milk. They don't drink milk as adults. They avoid cheese, because it makes them gassy. They don't like cottage cheese. The cheese and dairy they do eat is artificial. Not really the real deal. Like coffee creamers, Cool Whip dessert topping, nacho cheese products, Velveeta and American cheeses. Not really dairy, folks. Whey. Made from soy, wheat and flour and lard. If there's no demand for that enzyme, it will naturally taper off.

Human beings supplemented diet with animal milk as long as we've been on this planet. Because food wasn't easy to come by; you had to work hard looking for food and there were natural cycles of famine. Now we have easy plentiful food in consistent supply, that nobody has to chase down to eat. : )

I also do not drink milk. I don't like the taste, and I have to have chocolate milk to be able to drink it. Dairy products also give me headaches, so I limit my dairy intake. I to however like to eat cheese and yogurt, but again I don't eat a whole lot of those.

I LOVE Aero bars, especially the chocolate mint ones. I always bring a bunch back from Ireland. I would love to find a source for them in the U.S. I normally don't even like chocolate or candy but I'd just about kill for an Aero bar.

Are you near a Safeway? The larger ones in my area have had them in with the international food lately.

Archived