IGNORED

Mad Men

xDreamerx

Guest Anonymous

In regards to the "cleaning up" scene..last season Don was seeing a prostitute who slapped him around during sex and he liked it. Something tells me that that whole scene with Megan was like a role playing and it got Don all riled up.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What'd you all think of last night's (4/1) episode? I tuned in about 20 min. late only to find an overweight Betty (almost didn't recognize her) with a bandage on her neck, talking about possibly dying? That was something!

Someone pointed out, we didn't hear the doctor's end of the conversation during the call when Betty found out her tumor was benign. Is it possible she is sicker than we know? Both Don and Betty's current spouses seem jealous of the exes, don't they?

Is Don still in love with Betty? And she with him?

Guest Anonymous

I liked the episode. I'm glad Betty is ok. I kind of loved that she called Don first and he calmed her down. There will always be a connection between those two. I don't understand why Henry didn't tell Betty that Don called to ask about her. There's some kind of jealousy there that I don't get. Betty and Don have 3 kids together so he needs to get over it but I did like that he told Betty that he didn't "see" her weight gain. I thought that was sweet.

A lot of people have speculated that Betty may have lied about her tumor being benign. Others think she might tell Don that she has cancer to get his attention (since she's clearly still got feelings for him), not knowing that Don already heard from Henry that she's okay. That would certainly make things interesting!

What do you guys think of the new guy at the office? I liked him immediately, and I hope he sticks around. He'll either be a new love interest or a nemesis for Peggy. I hope it's the former, though.

As a younger second wife, I've totally had "she's just trying to get your attention" fly out of my mouth. Of course, my husband's ex-wife has had a series of OMG so serious oh wait not actually health scares since their divorce.

Oh, and I've also totally said "But he was divorced/seperated/I didn't break them up" when trying to explain how my husband and I met. From another place I read, people found that sort of unrealistic, but as a person living it, it was oh so true.

I so loved the new episode! Don was a jerk about the song and dance at party but everyone else seemed to like it..especially the men :)

I think it betrayed the fact that Megan really doesn't know her husband very well (not very shocking). I felt embarrassed for Don, zou bisou bisou or not.

• 1 month later...

I think it betrayed the fact that Megan really doesn't know her husband very well (not very shocking). I felt embarrassed for Don, zou bisou bisou or not.

She also knows him better than anyone else since she knows his back story/secret identity thing and is able to both makes light of it and use it to smack him down "Why don't you call your mother?"

I know I constantly recommend these guys, but does anyone else here read Tom and Lorenzo's Mad Men recaps? They are amazingly spot on about things on the show and it takes you to a whole new level if you rewatch after reading their blog posts. They also go over all the clothes (and how the clothing ties people/stories together) and some of the sets in their "Mad Fashion" posts.

It is SO weird to see Larisa Oleynik grown up as Ken's wife.

She also knows him better than anyone else since she knows his back story/secret identity thing and is able to both makes light of it and use it to smack him down "Why don't you call your mother?"

I know I constantly recommend these guys, but does anyone else here read Tom and Lorenzo's Mad Men recaps? They are amazingly spot on about things on the show and it takes you to a whole new level if you rewatch after reading their blog posts. They also go over all the clothes (and how the clothing ties people/stories together) and some of the sets in their "Mad Fashion" posts.

It is SO weird to see Larisa Oleynik grown up as Ken's wife.

Oh, I'm a regular at TLo. I get a lot out of reading not only TLo's original posts but all the comments, too. Those are some really smart people there -smart enough to be FJians.

I loved the Betty maybe having cancer thing. It really seemed to make her act like an actual human being toward her daughter and it showed us that it's really Don who understands her, not Henry. I wouldn't be surprised if they have an affair (with each other who would've thought).

The Megan thing. She's new and pretty and exciting...but I think Don's Generation Gap is showing. There have been little reminders of it and the last episode really clinched it in the conversation with her father. Maybe Megan is more radical than she's showed us so far?

How happy am I that Joan ditched her rapist husband finally?! The LSD trip was great, really added a layer and sensitivity to Roger. I think Peggy will ditch her current Jew for Ginsberg maybe.

I loved when Harry ate the White Castle sandwiches and Don says, "I thought they were for your family." :) great.

Watched a couple of S1 episodes and FF'ed thru this week's -- somebody, did Rory Gilmore get it on with Pete Campbell? I really don't wanna watch Alexis Bledel and Vincent Kartheiser pretend-bump uglies ... will be indebted for quite some time to anybody who can confirm or deny that there's more than just kissing between the two #majorlyunhappy characters.

Thxbai!!!

Watched a couple of S1 episodes and FF'ed thru this week's -- somebody, did Rory Gilmore get it on with Pete Campbell? I really don't wanna watch Alexis Bledel and Vincent Kartheiser pretend-bump uglies ... will be indebted for quite some time to anybody who can confirm or deny that there's more than just kissing between the two #majorlyunhappy characters.

Thxbai!!!

If Rory Gilmore was the dark haired wife of his train buddy, yes, they got it on. Although they don't show it- just the kissing and then the after.

I'm loving this season like crazy, but I really want Pete to snap the hell out of whatever funk he's in. Maybe the problem is that his wife is too far away, off in the burbs. He's always needed her close at hand as a stabilizing influence.

I'm not looking forward to the day that the new guy is promoted over Peggy. It's going to happen. There's no way she'll ever replace Don, either at SCDP or another agency. The glass ceiling is just too low.

Guest Anonymous

Totally loving this new season too. I don't know what's going on with Pete. I hate that he is cheating so much on Trudy! I love her! Something tells me that Don is not all that thrilled at Megan's new "job" as an actress.

I loved Alexis. I thought she was great. Both her character and Pete seem lost and helpless in some way. Is she going to be in some of the rest of the season? I loved that he was reading The Crying of Lot 49 on the train. One of my all time favourite books.

Thanks, xDreamerx!

Somebody over at Tom and Lorenzo has asked about the book Pete was reading. I'll have to reply with the info if no-one else has answered.

I have to admit that I'm a little traumatized at seeing my little Rory like that! LOL. But I thought Alexis Bledel did great.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler!!!!!

:lol:

Aieeeeeee!!!! I am *so *happy Peggy took the other job!!!!

Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler!!!!!

:lol:

Aieeeeeee!!!! I am *so *happy Peggy took the other job!!!!

Hane: I yelled, "You GO, girl!" when that happened.

Spoiler #2:

And I actually moaned, "Oh, Joan--NO!!!" when she did what she did to ensure becoming partner.

A lot of viewers were confused, but it's not the same baby:

All season long, fans of the show have been speculating about whether Peggy’s sister is raising the baby that Peggy had with Pete. And that was intentional, creator Matthew Weiner said. “I mislead the audience all over the place, and that’s the fun of the show. I give out little bits of information at a time and then play on that,†he said in an interview on Monday.

I asked him if Peggy’s sister is raising Peggy’s baby, and he said, no, that is not the case. Peggy’s sister was pregnant when Peggy had her baby, and the sister gave birth around the same time. Her youngest child is her own child; the sister is not raising Peggy’s offspring.

Again, just to be clear: Peggy’s baby is not being raised by her sister. That child was given up for adoption.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/10/mad-men-peggy-b.html

Thanks for this! I thought I was either stupid or insane.

And who else actually LOLd when Paul came back as a Hare Krishna--with a Star Trek script to sell, no less?

Chieftess of the Anachronism Police here LOVES examining the clothes and making sure they're accurate. Megan wears the kinds of things I wore as a teen in the late '60s (I'm SO glad they have her in blunt-toed, chunky heels instead of stilettoes!), and makes me wish she'd take Peggy shopping for a new look.

I like Peggy's clothes. I thought the purple dress was nice.

Does this mean she won't be in the show anymore? I'll be disappointed if that's the case. She's my favourite. I was disappointed with Joan. I don't understand why she did that?

Also Peggy getting $19k...is that a realistic number for a woman in the period (or even a man)? It seemed quite high to me considering you could buy a new car for a few thousand in those days or go to college out of state for only a few thousand. In the early seasons they talk about being paid three thousand a year (well that was Pete. Peggy talked about making 40 dollars a week) and now all of sudden she's making 19k a year? It just doesn't seem realistic to me.

I am 60, worked in publishing & advertising for 24 years in the '70s, 80's and '90s, and the $19,000 number for a copy chief in 1965 surprised me, too.

My thoughts are that - presuming the showrunners have done their homework and the figures are accurate - it's a reflection of a New York City salary, as well as Peggy shooting for the moon in her opening request. She almost certainly expected the dude to counter with less money and some promise of a bonus or a physical perk.

Toward the end of my working days, we saw adverts for entry-level pr positions in NYC/DC starting at close to what some of us were making - and we knew we were wise to stay in the Midwest making about the same thing, after decades in the biz, as our purchasing power was much greater. Salaries, rents, etc., seem always to be higher on the coasts, and especially in NYC.

Back to the '60s/'70s. My dad was making about $20,000 in 1970 in the Midwest, but in engineering, not in ad/pr.

*blush* I've never discussed salaries before in my life! :lol:

So Peggy's $19k tells me a couple of things: It's NYC, --also, it's with a firm that might be as shaky as SCDP, and a promise of $19k doesn't necessarily mean she'll have an employer in a year, much less have grossed $19k in pay. She doesn't have a contract, just an employment-at-will arrangement.

Her beginning salary of $40 or $35 a week in 1960 as a secretary also doesn't surprise. Secretaries were necessary but despised, where I worked (again, it was a crappy firm, but still...). Things were better when I left the crapshack for a job wtih a leading firm and women's lib was taking hold; female supervisors and executives tended to treat their female support staff with way more respect.

But I"m digressing. Guys, have you looked at Tom & Lorenzo's Mad Men site? Man...those two gays have got it w/r/t feminism and what it's meant for us ladeeze.

I was about to say "You need to look at Tom and Lorenzo!", but I'm glad MamaJB and StarrieEyedKat beat me to it. Several posters (maybe many, by now) have commented that Pete lied to Joan about what the other partners had said. He didn't tell her that Don had said NO most defintely and that Roger wasn't sold on the idea either. She felt that she had already been sold out by the partners. Joanie took the deal suggested by Layne to ensure a better life for herself and Kevin. It was so sad to see her do it, though.

Peggy's going to be around. (How, though, we'll just have to wait and see.) Matt Weiner has said in interviews that MM is really about Peggy so she'll be there -maybe not at SCDP, but she'll be there.

I LOATHE Pete!! He doesn't have one redeeming quality as far as I can tell.

Just finished the episode. Watching how Joan's night played out while Don pitched the idea made my heart drop. I knew what was going to happen, but I didn't realize Don showed up to stop her after she had already gone through with it. That was amazingly well done.

Guest Anonymous

Peggy's $19 000 was not the only interesting number that came up in the episode. When Joan was offered $50 000 to sleep with that creep she said that it was 4 times what she makes in a year. So Joan makes approximately $12 500 pa as the office manager / administrator.

I don't know if these numbers are good or bad for the 1960s. I can't help but think that Peggy should be worth a lot of money as she is already a successful copywriter and is the protege of Don Draper.

I'm going to be a bit of a devil's advocate here, and say I don't find what Joan did sad, bad, or anything but practical, if a little cold and calculating.

Joan was trading on the one thing she can count on, her sexuality. Joan could have an I.Q. higher than Einstein, who at the company would ever have noticed?

Don has certainly traded on his looks over the years (the female department store owner for one, the nasty comedian's wife).

Joan did what she felt she had to do.

Archived