IGNORED

fundie dad offended by Kwanzaa, Jamie Fox, and yoga

Emme

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I once had a woman in a bank respond to my “Merry Christmas†with a “Happy Holiday to you†and a clear sneer. I looked at her and shot back, “And Merry Celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ to you too.†I didn’t say it because I wanted to be mean or to not take the high road. I said it because my world and my government may stretch boundaries, but I personally am drawing a line in the sand. It’s my right. And I hope you take it too.

Oh, he's drawing a line in the sand. I'm gonna file this under "shit that never happened", just saying.

See before I even started reading, my first thought was, here we go again another fundie bloke with a teeny penis.

Lo and behold..

Loved having The Fetching Mrs. Salem all to myself. Thank you, honey, for a great time.

P.S.: Did I tell you that we slept in?

It is only the small of penis who have to tell you all about it.

I'd call him a wanker but unless he has tiny hands, bit of a problem.

Ah, what a great Christian he is to tell off that bank employee. I'm sure she ran right out and became a Christian after that great example.

Oh, he's drawing a line in the sand. I'm gonna file this under "shit that never happened", just saying.

Yeah, I definitely have doubts about that happening. I worked in retail for many years (and am returning this Christmas because I am a masochist but also because I need some extra money to buy presents for my friends and family. And the staff discount doesn't hurt!). We were never banned from saying Merry Christmas. We'd tend not to say it to every customer (mostly because we have so many other things to ask before the transaction is done: "did you find everything ok? do you have a loyalty card? do you want one? do you need a bag? would you like to donate to our charity? etc.) , but if the customer said Merry Christmas to us first, we'd always, always say Merry Christmas back. That being said, if a customer wished me a happy Hanukkah (or other religious holiday) I'd wish the same back.

Many times those working in service or retail jobs don't have the luxury of choosing what greeting to use. My husband worked for a big box electronics store for several years and employees were trained to say "Happy Holidays" in the time period between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. That particular store was located in a diverse area with a large Jewish population but it was a corporate-wide thing. Many restaurants, banks, etc. have the same policy. His manager told them if a customer said "Merry Christmas" they could return that greeting but otherwise it was to be "Happy Holidays".

So there's a decent chance that the bank teller in question said Happy Holidays because she's supposed to say it that way. And this guy was an ass because he thinks that a low-paid service employee saying Happy Holidays is somehow an insult to his Christian faith. Nice, really winning a lot of hearts and minds there! :roll:

Having just returned from a brief shopping trip to the local Target, there is no fucking War on Christmas, fundies.

These people dont seem to understand, its the thought that counts, whatever people say, whether its for a religious holiday, or just happy holidays in general, it means exactly the same thing-theyre wishing the best for you.

I’m offended by Kwanzaa. It’s a made up holiday that was created because Santa is too white. An African professor at Cal State Long Beach created it in 1966 as a response to the Watts riots to, in his words, “bring African-Americans together as a community.†Kwanzaa doesn’t “bring togetherâ€; it separates. And why haven’t we heard about it until the past five years? And why does it just happen to be at the same time as Christmas? It's an alternative to the true celebration of Christ’s birth. And I’m offended by it.

Listen, d-bag, I've known about Kwanzaa literally my whole life, and I'm nearly 30 years old. I was raised primarily in white majority, rural communities. Shit, I was even home schooled for a little bit. So I call bullshit on some sort of Kwanzaa uptick in the past five years. I think you've magically noticed it more in "the past five years" because now our president is Black.

Furthermore, Kwanzaa is not a religious holiday - many Christian families elect to celebrate both. So untwist your knickers.

Lolol. Talk about getting worked up over nothing. I don't get how the yoga rant came in...wtf?

Actually, the idea of a class based on Charismatics getting drunk on the holy ghost kind of sounds fun. :think:

Alecto, can I volunteer to lead a Charismatic Holy Ghost workout at FJCon?

These people dont seem to understand, its the thought that counts, whatever people say, whether its for a religious holiday, or just happy holidays in general, it means exactly the same thing-theyre wishing the best for you.

Exactly! It's not a personal attack. To me it serves the same purpose as saying "have a nice day" during the rest of the year.

To be honest I don't really care whether someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". I'm just happy that someone said something nice to me.

Some gems

I’m offended by Kwanzaa. It’s a made up holiday that was created because Santa is too white.

Um, no, it wasn't. It was created to be a celebration of community in response to the Watts riots. Which he said in the next sentence but he seems hung up on Santa.

This one seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrell for being offended. It tells me he must have a good life if he has the energy to worry over this.

I’m offended by every magazine I see where there are ads for everything from car insurance to body lotion with the central theme of the ad being a woman meditating in a lotus position.

And I don't really care if someone says Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Have a Cool Yule or Have a Nice Day. I know what I believe and it takes more than a sentiment from a shop clerk to shake my personal beliefs.

Yeah, I definitely have doubts about that happening. I worked in retail for many years (and am returning this Christmas because I am a masochist but also because I need some extra money to buy presents for my friends and family. And the staff discount doesn't hurt!). We were never banned from saying Merry Christmas. We'd tend not to say it to every customer (mostly because we have so many other things to ask before the transaction is done: "did you find everything ok? do you have a loyalty card? do you want one? do you need a bag? would you like to donate to our charity? etc.) , but if the customer said Merry Christmas to us first, we'd always, always say Merry Christmas back. That being said, if a customer wished me a happy Hanukkah (or other religious holiday) I'd wish the same back.

Yeah exactly!

Also, when I have served genuinely religious people, they usually just say "God Bless" not “ Merry Celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ to you too.†:roll: even though it just rolls off the tongue so well... :?

Okay, so I'm working in a toy store over the holiday season and I wished some people a happy Hanukkah the other day because they were a cute older Jewish couple buying Hanukkah presents for their granddaughters. Otherwise I just thank customers and maybe tell them to have a good day. Of course, I don't think I'll run to any crazy war on Christmas types because I live in a pretentious, liberal, university town in the northeast.

Yeah exactly!

Also, when I have served genuinely religious people, they usually just say "God Bless" not “ Merry Celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ to you too.†:roll: even though it just rolls off the tongue so well... :?

That's actually a really good point.

I call bs on what he said about Kwanzaa. It's been in the public eye for years. I taught at a Christian preschool back in the late 90's and we did crafts for Christmas, Hannakah, Kwanzaa and Yule!

Listen, d-bag, I've known about Kwanzaa literally my whole life, and I'm nearly 30 years old. I was raised primarily in white majority, rural communities. Shit, I was even home schooled for a little bit. So I call bullshit on some sort of Kwanzaa uptick in the past five years. I think you've magically noticed it more in "the past five years" because now our president is Black.

Furthermore, Kwanzaa is not a religious holiday - many Christian families elect to celebrate both. So untwist your knickers.

What bugs me is people who claim that somehow Kwanzaa is "less legitimate" or "not a real holiday" because it was "just made up recently," of course acting as if the people who are celebrating it or the general public don't know the origin of the holiday, as if this is some great secret or something.

(And yeah, five years ago? Maybe SHE heard about it five years ago...)

It's okay to have holidays that started recently. It's even okay to have traditions that started in your own lifetime, perhaps even by YOU!!

I really want to send this dipshit this link http://www.edulang.com/blog/is-%E2%80%9 ... etymology/ where a linguist explains that holidays originates from the old English words for Holy days. By wishing someone happy holidays you are essentially wishing them happy holy days.

I wish you would! Except we all know not to feed the fundies... it just makes them more righteous.

Guest Anonymous
And why haven’t we heard about it until the past five years?

Add me to the list of people who had heard of Kwanzaa more than five years ago. As far as gripes go, that is so weak.

More fun things:

Uh…He-LLO!

This is brilliant. I've been looking for this usage of 'hello' since the word was brought up in the Spiritual Bowel Syndrome thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14112).

Yoga is part and parcel of, indistinguishable from, and the central form of worship of, wait for it…HINDUISM!

It's the 'wait for it...' that makes me laugh. I don't know why.

It means “gayâ€â€¦which will CERTAINLY be acceptable.

Passive aggressive much?

Add me to the list of people who had heard of Kwanzaa more than five years ago. As far as gripes go, that is so weak.

Hell, Sandra Lee's infamous Kwanzaa cake episode is at least 8 years old.

we2iWTJqo98

I really want to send this dipshit this link http://www.edulang.com/blog/is-%E2%80%9 ... etymology/ where a linguist explains that holidays originates from the old English words for Holy days. By wishing someone happy holidays you are essentially wishing them happy holy days.

This is why some Quakers do not celebrate Christmas, Easter and such...because every day is a Holy Day!

If you follow the logic of the distant skier, then a shopper in Target who hears the Christmas song, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, should demand it be unplugged. ANY Christmas song that makes any vague reference to a Savior being born or even three kings should not be piped into any public arena.

Technically, Target is a private business opened to the public. As such, they can play any music they want imo. I don't have to like or agree with it, but they aren't infringing on my rights to play their choice of music. I really don't listen to the music when I shop anyway.

whatever happened to these loud people putting decent people in their place when the decent ones complain about too much sex and vulgarity on prime time TV? If we complain, they say, “Just change the channel. No one’s forcing you to watch and hear it!â€

I'll play devil's advocate and say in a way, he's right about the fact that what does for one group goes for another as well, but that's all I'll say to that. But I take great offense that atheists are "loud" and christians are "decent" implying that christians never are "loud"about their beliefs and atheists are not "decent people". :obscene-birdiedoublegreen:

And why haven’t we heard about it until the past five years? And why does it just happen to be at the same time as Christmas? It's an alternative to the true celebration of Christ’s birth. And I’m offended by it.

I heard about in primary school, back in the early to mid 1990s. I haven't heard about it more in the past five years. It happens the day after Christmas and It's never been related to Christmas or "Christ's birth". I'm offended by his ignorance.

I’m offended by a photograph winning an award that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of urine.

That's...nice. I don't feel offended, more like disgusted by the mental picture in my head of that.

I’m offended by every magazine I see where there are ads for everything from car insurance to body lotion

Issues much?

Then why don’t we adapt the “exercise†of charismatics waving their arms and running around during a church service? Just sayin’

Um...that's different.

And finally, I’m offended by the world taking “Christ†out of “Christmas.†That’s MY holiday. That’s my brothers’ and sisters’ in Christ holiday.

Christ was never in Christmas. It was a pagan holiday turned Christians. Merry just means happy. Merry Holidays could work, but Happy means the same thing and Happy Holidays has a nicer ring to it I think.

It means “gayâ€â€¦which will CERTAINLY be acceptable.

What a genius!

I heard about Kwanzaa in elementary school in the 90's. The school was a public school in suburbia Utah so I consider it to be sheltered. There was not any african american students in my class the year I learned about it. There were a few in the school but they were bussed in from the air force base.

Archived