IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Janelle and Meri have been in the working world. I think Robyn also worked, not sure if she has a higher education.

Christine would be the least able to be out on her own financially. Then again, Cody isn't bringing in all of the income... Christine and Meri are, from what I can tell. I don't think that if Cody was to die that they would suddenly disband. I'm pretty sure that they feel some responsibility towards each other and the kids seem to truly care for all their moms. I'd be shocked if their adult children didn't take over financially for the moms. It seems that most of their kids will aim for monogamist marriages, so they should have the funds to support her. I'd also be surprised if the others don't all chip in to support mom in some way.

I wouldn't want to be a polygamist. But, I can see the appeal. If you are a woman who wants a profession and education and your sister-wife is a SAHM then you can pursue your dreams, have children, and always know that they have another mom to take care of them like her own when you're off at work/school. If you're not the jealous type, not needing cuddles and/or sex from your husband on a regular basis, or the type who likes her alone time then it wouldn't be a bad situation. In some respects this could be a very functional relationship. I know a few women friends who don't want to deal full time with a man's needs. They make it clear that they are single because they want their space and their own time. Some want kids more than a husband. I'd never in a million years suggest polygamy to them, but if it was more mainstream I think that a few of them would be into it. Like a more official version of an open marriage (I know some folks into that, it seems complicated to me with all the different arrangements etc.... but works for them).

What is bothersome is the religious component and the idea of heaven only being completely open to polygamists with 3 or more wives. That's where it seems manipulative because you then really don't have a choice and you do it because your soul depends on it.

I definitely think if less people had "taboos" about sex in general, plural marriage would be no big deal. I personally am OK with it, as long as ALL parties involved are consenting- ie none of this "using it as a liscense to cheat". I have friends in "open" marriages, and everyone involved is a'ok with the circumstance.

Incidentally, I told my husband the other day I wanted a sister wife. He looked at me, and without missing a beat said "sweetheart, I love you but one of you is more than enough. " :lol: :lol: :lol:

I joke about it, but I can see the appeal. Not just career wise, but lets just say you had a baby, and you're exhausted and your husband has to go back to work. There's someone who can take care of the kid for you. I'd never be OK with it as I'm the jealous type, but I don't see anything wrong with consenting adults entering into a relationship like that. However, expecting your children to do it? that's a not reasonable. That's like, a person in a monogamous marriage weeping and pissing and moaning that their child has decided to stay single, or not to have children.

I definitely think if less people had "taboos" about sex in general, plural marriage would be no big deal. I personally am OK with it, as long as ALL parties involved are consenting- ie none of this "using it as a liscense to cheat". I have friends in "open" marriages, and everyone involved is a'ok with the circumstance.

Incidentally, I told my husband the other day I wanted a sister wife. He looked at me, and without missing a beat said "sweetheart, I love you but one of you is more than enough. " :lol: :lol: :lol:

I joke about it, but I can see the appeal. Not just career wise, but lets just say you had a baby, and you're exhausted and your husband has to go back to work. There's someone who can take care of the kid for you. I'd never be OK with it as I'm the jealous type, but I don't see anything wrong with consenting adults entering into a relationship like that. However, expecting your children to do it? that's a not reasonable. That's like, a person in a monogamous marriage weeping and pissing and moaning that their child has decided to stay single, or not to have children.

I totally agree with you. I can barely take care of myself. I wonder how on earth I'll take care of a baby and not let my career suffer. A sister wife would really help things (although our house is pretty small!) Then again, I'm also terrible at sharing :-)

anybody else think that madison is turning into a really pretty young lady? i love her as a blonde.

i cant believe robyn missed logans graduation because she intended to be late and come last minute. im even more shocked that kody almost missed it because he left to look for her. he really is an ass.

why cant meri pick a floorplan that doesnt include 5 bedrooms? cant she pick one for 4, or 3? she could get a plan for a one story and have an open floorplan with a kitchen, dining room, and a great room. it would leave space for her to have the family over, and would also be ideal if she plans to retire in that home. building a 5 bdrm when u only need 2 is a ridiculous waste of money.

They kept talking about Meri's craft room wtf. If you have yourself and one child in a four bedroom house can't one of the extra bedrooms be a craft room?? Or a basement?

Okay, from what I saw, the stupidity is overwhelming...oh no, Meri can't get her fucking wet bar unless she wants a 5th bedroom? I turned it off after watching this and seeing a bit about the graduation and the bs about not knowing what time everything was (yeah, ok, so with texting no one can send a general text)....

They kept talking about Meri's craft room wtf. If you have yourself and one child in a four bedroom house can't one of the extra bedrooms be a craft room?? Or a basement?

They don't build houses in Vegas with basements, but beyond all the unnecessary bedrooms, I want to understand why the wet bar complete with wine rack would be such a big freakin' deal to a teetotaler like Meri.

It's probably being stoked by TLC, but my take is that Meri is just trying to pull a power play on the non-legal wives by demanding space she'll never need.

Frankly, none of the wives - save maybe Robin who will probably pop out another three or four Kody Kids - need a huge house. Their kids are all getting older and odds are the first three wives are done having babies. So double the kids up in bedrooms until space frees up as the older ones move out. Unless you are truly wealthy, a bedroom for every kid in families that size is a ridiculous notion.

Slightly off-topic, but why does every new house I see in Vegas look like it was designed circa 1999? White walls, peach colored carpets, generic kitchens. Not an ounce of warmth or charm or character in any of them. Blech.

They don't build houses in Vegas with basements, but beyond all the unnecessary bedrooms, I want to understand why the wet bar complete with wine rack would be such a big freakin' deal to a teetotaler like Meri.

It's probably being stoked by TLC, but my take is that Meri is just trying to pull a power play on the non-legal wives by demanding space she'll never need.

Yup, that's my guess. I probably sound incredibly ignorant but I've also wondered if she would've done IVF/Surrogacy many years ago if she weren't the legal wife. Paper's paper, but I can't help wonder if in cases like this it makes a difference.

I don't think Meri or anyone deserves a big house when they can't pay for it. None of these women have any business buying or trying to buy five-bedroom McMansions when they can't pay their bills. In Meri's case, she doesn't even have a case for needing that much space, but many families raise three or four or five kids in three and four bedroom homes. Plus many of those kids will be leaving home in the next couple of years, anyway.

These people are nothing short of ridiculous.

Completely agree.

Realistically, in a pinch you can pile small children like cordwood in a bedroom and they will love it. It is not ideal, but nothing about this situation is ideal. From looking at the makeup of the families, Meri could easily do with a two bedroom, Robyn with a three bedroom, Janelle and Christine each with a four bedroom. That is without putting more than two people in a bedroom. If they put more of the smaller children in each bedroom or had a mother without a baby sleep on a pull-out sofa, they could go even smaller. Also, they did not even look at normal, kinda run-down homes last time I watched.

Honestly, when your net worth is in the negative six- or seven-figures, it is not time to feel entitled to more house than you absolutely need.

I so don't believe Meri actually wants another kid. :think: Her daughter will soon be off to college. I also don't think she want to give up the "whoohh is me because I can't have another child". Robin made her the offer while still in the hospital having her last baby. Look how big he was last night! He's got to be 6-9 months already. And Meri STILL can't give a straight answer?! She needs another 5-6 months to decide?! I think she realises if she says "no", the sympathy is OFF and she's not ready to deal with that.

If she does go through with the IVF, she could wind up with 2-6 babies. She'd better be prepared. IVF is expensive! Guess they can pick the money off that tree in the back. Or, have TLC foot the bill....

Those ARE some very nice family shots on their page. One immediate thought that came to mind when I viewed the first one (and carried through for every single one as I went on) was - what in hell is Kody's objection to washing that mop of hair he insists on having?? And I refuse to believe that at least some of his wives and kids didn't think the same thing, especially for a photo shoot.

And let's not even get into his choice of shirt. I mean - seriously! :shock:

Completely agree.

Realistically, in a pinch you can pile small children like cordwood in a bedroom and they will love it. It is not ideal, but nothing about this situation is ideal. From looking at the makeup of the families, Meri could easily do with a two bedroom, Robyn with a three bedroom, Janelle and Christine each with a four bedroom. That is without putting more than two people in a bedroom. If they put more of the smaller children in each bedroom or had a mother without a baby sleep on a pull-out sofa, they could go even smaller. Also, they did not even look at normal, kinda run-down homes last time I watched.

Honestly, when your net worth is in the negative six- or seven-figures, it is not time to feel entitled to more house than you absolutely need.

I completely agree. I have 2 small kids and I wouldn't want a 5 bedroom house, that's too much space to clean! For 2 people though, 5 bedrooms is insane! Especially given their negative financials, unless TLC is really footing all of the bill. I don't understand why Meri wouldn't be thrilled with a nice 2 bedroom and college tuition paid in full for her kid....

I just took a gander at their jewlery line. I found it tacky and I hope they are not pinning all of their hopes and dreams onto that puff of smoke.

Those houses are gigantic. We have 6 kids, we live in a 2 story brick home in an area where that is feasible. Our home has a finished walk out basement for the bottom story. It has 4 bedrooms, and the kids are not even *close* to crowded. 2 kids per bedroom works fine. And when we have our 7th baby in a few months she will room with us, and then move into one of her sisters' rooms. The rooms are big b/c the house is older, and there is plenty of room for 3-4 beds per room. (and yes, we make sure everyone gets privacy at times.)

When you have no money you make do. You don't whine about a wet bar and insist on a 5th bedroom. I have to say I agree with whoever said earlier 'they say they want to be a family, families live TOGETHER. (usually)' The house in Lehi was perfect, everyone lived together (until Robin) and yet had their own space. They should have built another house similar to that. If city codes wouldn't allow that, then move outside the city, or....here's a novel idea... now that Utah isn't going to throw them in jail, move back to the house they still own there in Lehi and add on a wing for Robin.!! It is utterly ridiculous to go on and on about how they have no money and are in a 'desperate' financial situation and then take out loans for FOUR 1/2 million dollar homes.

Those houses are gigantic. We have 6 kids, we live in a 2 story brick home in an area where that is feasible. Our home has a finished walk out basement for the bottom story. It has 4 bedrooms, and the kids are not even *close* to crowded. 2 kids per bedroom works fine. And when we have our 7th baby in a few months she will room with us, and then move into one of her sisters' rooms. The rooms are big b/c the house is older, and there is plenty of room for 3-4 beds per room. (and yes, we make sure everyone gets privacy at times.)

When you have no money you make do. You don't whine about a wet bar and insist on a 5th bedroom. I have to say I agree with whoever said earlier 'they say they want to be a family, families live TOGETHER. (usually)' The house in Lehi was perfect, everyone lived together (until Robin) and yet had their own space. They should have built another house similar to that. If city codes wouldn't allow that, then move outside the city, or....here's a novel idea... now that Utah isn't going to throw them in jail, move back to the house they still own there in Lehi and add on a wing for Robin.!! It is utterly ridiculous to go on and on about how they have no money and are in a 'desperate' financial situation and then take out loans for FOUR 1/2 million dollar homes.

This is what I keep wondering. Why don't they go back to Utah since they know they will not be prosecuted? Adding on a "house" to the house that still exists would be much more rational. But maybe it doesn't make for good tv?

Meri needs to give up on the IVF already. It's clear she doesn't want a baby now, and just wants the attention and sympathy from Kody et al. I also think she might be delaying the decision because, if you think about it, she's effectively keeping Robyn from having anymore arrows until she decides, since Robyn's womb is on hold for Meri until further notice. I wonder if that's part of the reason Kody wants her to hurry up and decide; he said, "I'LL have more children ..." but he can't easily do so until Robyn's womb is off the hook.

I remember reading on another board that the Lehi house is rented out because some of the locals (and there were quite a few) who shared their lifestyle didn't appreciate the heat the Browns were bringing to the area. I'll see if I can find it, but I'm an awful one for following links willy-nilly, and can't always find where I've been. :roll: That may explain why they don't go back just yet.

Or Klever Kreepy Kody has an angle to play. Yeah, that's probably it.

Does Meri even have a diagnosis? Robyn's uterus is irrelevant if Meri's issue is an egg issue and so is IVF if she's not going to be willing to use donor eggs, which she made fairly clear in a previous episode she would not be. She's in her 40's now. IVF without donor eggs regardless of having a surrogate is not very reasonable.

Her diagnosis is infertility for unknown reasons. In short, there is no good reason she should be infertile.

That's really sad for someone who really wants more babies and is unable to have them and there is no explanation as to why. The not knowing would drive me bonkers.

This is what I keep wondering. Why don't they go back to Utah since they know they will not be prosecuted? Adding on a "house" to the house that still exists would be much more rational. But maybe it doesn't make for good tv?

I also think they should live in the Lehi house (with additions for Robyn's family) or purchase land and build another plyg house. Personally, I think TLC is exploring/exploiting the fact that Browns live a lifestyle that devalues Meri because of her infertility through this ridiculous, never ending house discussion. As a childless woman, I do not think I "deserve" less of a house because of my childless status. I don't think women who have many children "deserve" more of a house because of their large brood. I don't even think "deserve" is the correct term to use here. But, I do think that the head of a family with four wives has a responsibility to treat each woman equally, which can really only be resolved through sharing one home.

Agreed that they should move back to Lehi and add to the house there - they could just add a two-bedroom addition for Meri and daughter right now if finances are THAT strapped - or build another multi-family house (since that's what they are, basically).

As far as logistics go, we have three small children and they share one bedroom. A bunk bed with a trundle underneath works perfectly and all their toys fit in there with playing room too. Nobody is crowded although a larger main living area would be nice if I had umpteen children through sister wives who would be visiting regularly.

We drink and we don't have a wet bar! Nor have we ever lamented the lack of one... the uppermost shelf in the pantry suffices just fine, thankyouverymuch.

I also don't understand the appeal of a McMansion in general unless you can afford a housecleaner because those things are huge! And you have to clean it all!

Archived