IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

Yikes, Christine was laying it on pretty thick last night. Like she really didn't "know" that these abuses were going on in the FLDS? Uh-huh. She came off like a total dingbat.

She sure did ... especially since we have heard Kody and the other wives mention Warren Jeffs and underage marriage specifically in past seasons. I call total bshit that she didn't know.

I thought she was pretty annoying when trying to bond with the former FLDS girls at dinner, too. "OMG you pierced your ears secretly while skipping church? What a HILARIOUS story! Escaping the FLDS is FUN and SILLY!"

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She sure did ... especially since we have heard Kody and the other wives mention Warren Jeffs and underage marriage specifically in past seasons. I call total bshit that she didn't know.

I thought she was pretty annoying when trying to bond with the former FLDS girls at dinner, too. "OMG you pierced your ears secretly while skipping church? What a HILARIOUS story! Escaping the FLDS is FUN and SILLY!"

Ugh. I agree with you. The bolded kind of attitude annoys me so much. Sometimes a seemingly small thing can have so much meaning to someone who didn't get to make the choice beforehand. It may sound silly to others, but it can be so reaffirming to the self. After I left my abusive relationship, I bought a new pair of jeans, wide and comfy ones, because comfortable clothes were "forbidden". I loved that pair of jeans with a passion, which sounds silly to others, who don't know the background. From my present perspective, I can smile at it, but I still remember how much it meant to me to get to be "me". So, I fully agree with you; if the FLDS girl thought it was worth mentioning, it probably meant something to her. And it goes to show just how restricted her life was.

I'm irritated that they'd dismiss an example of how oppressive a situation can be, on the basis of something that doesn't seem like a big deal to them. Anyone can buy jeans, well, hell, I couldn't. Anyone can get their ears pierced, only, she couldn't! Says an awful lot about the circumstances she fled. That they'd find that funny, says all about them.

ETA: I haven't seen the show, so I'm going on what I'm told.

Ugh. I agree with you. The bolded kind of attitude annoys me so much. Sometimes a seemingly small thing can have so much meaning to someone who didn't get to make the choice beforehand. It may sound silly to others, but it can be so reaffirming to the self. After I left my abusive relationship, I bought a new pair of jeans, wide and comfy ones, because comfortable clothes were "forbidden". I loved that pair of jeans with a passion, which sounds silly to others, who don't know the background. From my present perspective, I can smile at it, but I still remember how much it meant to me to get to be "me". So, I fully agree with you; if the FLDS girl thought it was worth mentioning, it probably meant something to her. And it goes to show just how restricted her life was.

I'm irritated that they'd dismiss an example of how oppressive a situation can be, on the basis of something that doesn't seem like a big deal to them. Anyone can buy jeans, well, hell, I couldn't. Anyone can get their ears pierced, only, she couldn't! Says an awful lot about the circumstances she fled. That they'd find that funny, says all about them.

ETA: I haven't seen the show, so I'm going on what I'm told.

Yes, Christine was laughing off the story like it was hilarious, even though the girls weren't really laughing, just giving nervous giggles. It IS a pretty big deal to make a visible statement of your rebellion against an oppressive regime like the FLDS. The Browns just don't get ... it.

(snip)Yes, Christine was laughing off the story like it was hilarious, even though the girls weren't really laughing, just giving nervous giggles. It IS a pretty big deal to make a visible statement of your rebellion against an oppressive regime like the FLDS. The Browns just don't get ... it.

Thanks for confirming. I'm disgusted with that family now, and just want to cry for the girl. What a horrible thing to do! :evil:

Well, except for Janelle, I can't say I'd consider the rest of them particularly intelligent. Janelle seems to have some sense and she does seem more fed up recently.

I think Janelle has fantasies of escaping. Not this last episode but the episode before when she said "I sometimes wonder what they would do if I just left and then my sense of responsibilities kicks in." I think she was at a low point after her divorce and managed to get confinced this would be a great life style, but then after being in it for a few years may have gone oh crap I'm trapped, because we have all these kids.

Anybody else notice Mariah is the same age if not older than two of the kids who went to help, but did not participate. At least Christine let her daughter go, though she wasn't comfortable with it. Meri didn't mention anything about the trip at all I noticed. Or why Mariah didn't go when all her like aged siblings were included. Mayhaps Meri, the silent one in this episode, is the one we should really be analyzing. She is really showing her true colors lately, and I think much differently about her than I did the first season.

Benefit of the doubt...maybe Mariah did not want to go?

Anybody else notice Mariah is the same age if not older than two of the kids who went to help, but did not participate. At least Christine let her daughter go, though she wasn't comfortable with it. Meri didn't mention anything about the trip at all I noticed. Or why Mariah didn't go when all her like aged siblings were included. Mayhaps Meri, the silent one in this episode, is the one we should really be analyzing. She is really showing her true colors lately, and I think much differently about her than I did the first season.

Benefit of the doubt...maybe Mariah did not want to go?

This is my best guess. I posted about this back when it happened, but I ran into Meri when she ran a 5K for the Holding Out Hope thing. So, I would think that Mariah is the one who jumped ship.

I think Janelle has fantasies of escaping. Not this last episode but the episode before when she said "I sometimes wonder what they would do if I just left and then my sense of responsibilities kicks in." I think she was at a low point after her divorce and managed to get confinced this would be a great life style, but then after being in it for a few years may have gone oh crap I'm trapped, because we have all these kids.

How could she NOT feel that way? I see a tired, lonely, dragging middle-aged woman with no real hope for things to improve. She and Christine depress me.

Well, except for Janelle, I can't say I'd consider the rest of them particularly intelligent. Janelle seems to have some sense and she does seem more fed up recently.

True, and even Janelle must be pretty dim to have married Kody.

Anyone have a "keep sweet" headboard on their holiday shopping list?

How can something so simple be so horrifying?

I also dislike Meri more each time. The first season I liked her, less when she got so int Robyn and talked about how she never had closeness with the other sister wives,more as she has become a whiny B*&ch. In the teaser for the next episode, they are talking about how to streamline the McMansions to save money and she is whining because she HAS to have French doors. She can't live with sliding doors. Guess they don't go with a wet bar.

I wonder if since Robyn put her on the spot with her "generous" offer to be a surrogate Meri has changed her deep love for that sister wife. She and her daughter are just awful.

I also dislike Meri more each time. The first season I liked her, less when she got so int Robyn and talked about how she never had closeness with the other sister wives,more as she has become a whiny B*&ch. In the teaser for the next episode, they are talking about how to streamline the McMansions to save money and she is whining because she HAS to have French doors. She can't live with sliding doors. Guess they don't go with a wet bar.

I wonder if since Robyn put her on the spot with her "generous" offer to be a surrogate Meri has changed her deep love for that sister wife. She and her daughter are just awful.

I had to laugh when she said, "Kody, I am just not having sliding doors - I NEED the French doors".

She needs to grab the handrail.

Lots of info about the houses on Sister Wives blog.

sisterwivesblog.blogspot.ca/2012/12/whats-happening-with-those-houses-part.html

Christine is the one who was heard saying that they didn't get the houses (in October) and then shortly afterward houses were under construction. $2 M. If they finally wrangled houses or even large enough down payments out of TLC I wonder how long after the show they will keep them. Perhaps houses were the only story line they could hold consistently and TLC kicked in more money?

Poor Mariah, she is going to use all of the second floor by herself. She will be cleaning all the time!

Poor Mariah, she is going to use all of the second floor by herself. She will be cleaning all the time!

I don't get that. A 4k square foot house for 2 people?! Even with lots of guests that's insane. IT will feel empty and lonely in there. I would hate to have a house that required so much cleaning and dusting and that I pay insane utility bills every month and the feeling of emptiness in the house.

Then again, if TLC was buying me that house and giving it to me completely free I'd fight for every upgrade and improvement so that once they left the scene I could extract as much money from the house sale as I could....

I have a 1200 sq ft house with a finished basement and that is too much space for me. I only have one kid still at home. I wish Mr Precious would agree to downsize.

I had to laugh when she said, "Kody, I am just not having sliding doors - I NEED the French doors".

That was hilarious. What with the wet bar, "hobby room" and French Doors, Meri sure has a lot of necessities. I wonder if she was like this before they were "famous."

I think Christine was at a loss. She didn't know how to handle these broken, abused individuals. She's been firmly indoctrinated to the lifestyle, and there is no way she does NOT know these sorts of abuses happen. She's convinced herself that it doesn't happen, or that is rare. Then a bunch of escapees show up and she doesn't know what to do with her feelings, not to mention that she has to face her great big dysfunctional family history.

How many times haven't we heard the story of how her grandfather's family was torn apart and they never got back together again? Wasn't her grandfather murdered by a rival FLDS group?

I think she was trying to relate to the former FLDS girls on ANY lever because she was so uncomfortable. They were raw, especially Kollene, and maybe just a little too real for the Browns. In the light of such pain and suffering, it's not a surprise that she was a flake and jumped on whatever light-hearted bit she could. Look how affected Aspyn and Maddie were--their eyes were peeled wide open in this experience.

That was hilarious. What with the wet bar, "hobby room" and French Doors, Meri sure has a lot of necessities. I wonder if she was like this before they were "famous."

Not to mention all of the unnecessary bedrooms. And I'm not sure she was kidding when she said she wanted the tennis court for Mariah either.

I honestly don't know how the other three can stand her.

I don't get that. A 4k square foot house for 2 people?! Even with lots of guests that's insane. IT will feel empty and lonely in there. I would hate to have a house that required so much cleaning and dusting and that I pay insane utility bills every month and the feeling of emptiness in the house.

Then again, if TLC was buying me that house and giving it to me completely free I'd fight for every upgrade and improvement so that once they left the scene I could extract as much money from the house sale as I could....

Good luck selling it depending on the prices in the area especially if its in a neighborhood that's still building. I stand to lose about 40 grand on the house I'm trying to sell. It's nicer and bigger than most with some great upgrades but none of that matters when the builder drops the base price on new homes by 25 grand. All those McMansions will put them into bankruptcy when the tlc money dries up

Good luck selling it depending on the prices in the area especially if its in a neighborhood that's still building. I stand to lose about 40 grand on the house I'm trying to sell. It's nicer and bigger than most with some great upgrades but none of that matters when the builder drops the base price on new homes by 25 grand. All those McMansions will put them into bankruptcy when the tlc money dries up

I am assuming that TLC is paying for the houses 100 percent. There's no way those dingbats got mortgages considering their credit. And if they did no way it was for 500k each with even a remotely reasonable interest rate. I had a hard time getting a 150k mortgage and I was single making twice the national average, no bankruptcy. My funds for a downpayment only totaled 10k so I had a very hard time until I met my FH who had saved up more. They don't even seem to have the money for a DP which, if we assume 20 percent would be 100k each. I'll eat my shoe if they have that kind of cash or if they actually got approved for loans.

Those houses are either owned by TLC or they are paid for in part (or in total) by TLC and then sold to the Browns at rock bottom prices.

If someone was paying for my house and giving it back to me as a gift then I'd probably extract everything I can. Even if they lose 50k on the value that could still be 450k in revenue... They could sell it for even less and undercut their neighbors and walk away with a nice fat paycheck in addition to whatever else they get from TLC.

I want to hear how she explains her need for French doors is due to her infertility.

I am assuming that TLC is paying for the houses 100 percent. There's no way those dingbats got mortgages considering their credit. And if they did no way it was for 500k each with even a remotely reasonable interest rate. I had a hard time getting a 150k mortgage and I was single making twice the national average, no bankruptcy. My funds for a downpayment only totaled 10k so I had a very hard time until I met my FH who had saved up more. They don't even seem to have the money for a DP which, if we assume 20 percent would be 100k each. I'll eat my shoe if they have that kind of cash or if they actually got approved for loans.

Those houses are either owned by TLC or they are paid for in part (or in total) by TLC and then sold to the Browns at rock bottom prices.

If someone was paying for my house and giving it back to me as a gift then I'd probably extract everything I can. Even if they lose 50k on the value that could still be 450k in revenue... They could sell it for even less and undercut their neighbors and walk away with a nice fat paycheck in addition to whatever else they get from TLC.

I'd like to know how anyone can get a huge mortage without a job. It's got to be TLC money. It's hard to even get your house refinanced right now with a long-term job and a regular income stream, and really hard to get a mortgage without 20% cash down, which they would not have.

Archived