IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

OK, now I have something more to be PO'd about. I just saw a "Red Door" TLC commercial that included a brief clip of the Browns and a a voice-over of Christine saying either "an open book" or "a complete open book". What a crock of shite (as JFC would say).

The Browns have repeatedly said that their sect, the AUB, is different from the FLDS and other fundamentalist Mormons in that they do NOT permit underage marriage. However, Christine revealed in their book that Meri and Kody started courting an underage girl from their congregation who Christine had introducted to them as a prospective wife #2. Apparently, as long as Meri and Kody did not actually marry this girl until her 18th birthday, they weren't doing anything wrong by merely courting her (or should that be meri-ly). As it turns out the wedding fell through a few weeks before it was scheduled to occur. At first I thought that this girl had a lucky escape from the Brown trainwreck and then quickly realized that she may have been destined for something worse, polygamy being what it is.

IMHO this is almost as sleazy as FLDS forced underage "placement" marriages because it hides behind the technicality of the bride having just become "of legal age", but still contains the elements of power differentials due to age. The only thing that may be missing is coercion and lack of choice.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Times Three is about the Darger family. Joe Darger gives me the serious creeps. Any time I have seen him on video / film or anything he has written that I have read (the family has a blog) gives me the serious patriarchy / controlling vibe. And for those of you into the "unusual", he married identical twins and their first cousin. My spidey sense tingles off the map about him.

Isnt that just par for the course in polygamy? I mean, how many of these people are there out there? They spawn millions of kids each... Eventually, you're going to end up with a relation of some kind.

Not saying that that's right...

]

Love Times Three is about the Darger family. Joe Darger gives me the serious creeps. Any time I have seen him on video / film or anything he has written that I have read (the family has a blog) gives me the serious patriarchy / controlling vibe. And for those of you into the "unusual", he married identical twins and their first cousin. My spidey sense tingles off the map about him.

That's really totally creepy. It sounds like the guy wasnt quite over his first wife... IMHO. (I say this as a widow.)

Btw, damn you, Terrasola. Now you have me all distracted at work reading your Sister Wives blog!!! Like I needed another snarky distraction!!

Since we all know you can absolutely believe everything you read on the Internet, especially items posted by anonymous commenters on blogs, FJers may be interested to know that the new SW season may include a divorce (as per a recent SWB comment). If this is true it would be nice to know that not all the sister wives have drunk the proverbial AUB fundamentalist mormon kool-aid.

This would "truely" (pun intended) upset the Brown apple cart. Everyone's money seems to be on Christine; I think if this were true she would simply find another poly marriage / man given her personal convictions, and she and her children would be no better off in the long run. Her emotional health tells me that she is not suited to polygamy regardless of her religious convictions. I would prefer to see Janelle be the one to leave, if indeed anyone is leaving. She has so much potential but is so beaten down, her kids are amazing and would do well out of that "lifestyle", and she has the skills to support her family. Such a move could be the best thing for her and her kids.

The thought just occurred to me that TLC producers could possibly have encouraged someone to leave to create a storyline, knowing that there were cracks in certain relationships (this is just speculation on my part). We've seen that type of behaviour / interference before on reality shows . Sure hope I am wrong on that score because there are relationships, feelings, peoples' lives and children involved.

The comment, however, is probably a troll, or a plant from a Brown insider (as has happened before).

Oh, now that would be cool. My bets would be on Janelle. She's the odd ball in that picture because she really seems too smart for this polygamy crap.

I know everyone hates Meri... But I kind of like her... I'd like to see her leave, but that's never gonna happen.

Isnt that just par for the course in polygamy? I mean, how many of these people are there out there? They spawn millions of kids each... Eventually, you're going to end up with a relation of some kind.

Not saying that that's right...

Hi FJ,

One of the older daughters from this family was on Dr. Keith show a while back, I recognized her face from a talk show discussing polygamy with teens from poly family's. The brunette, Laura, is the oldest(?) daughter. She is now married, her wedding photos are on the pubic family FB page.

Just discovered some GOOD NEWS, the caption on one of the wedding photos is: "Happy day for my family as Alina and I celebrated our daughter Laura's marriage to a great guy — and by the way, it's a monogamous marriage!"

http://youtu.be/o2yPzAnoUO8

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 7241_n.jpg

Since we all know you can absolutely believe everything you read on the Internet, especially items posted by anonymous commenters on blogs, FJers may be interested to know that the new SW season may include a divorce (as per a recent SWB comment). If this is true it would be nice to know that not all the sister wives have drunk the proverbial AUB fundamentalist mormon kool-aid.

This would "truely" (pun intended) upset the Brown apple cart. Everyone's money seems to be on Christine; I think if this were true she would simply find another poly marriage / man given her personal convictions, and she and her children would be no better off in the long run. Her emotional health tells me that she is not suited to polygamy regardless of her religious convictions. I would prefer to see Janelle be the one to leave, if indeed anyone is leaving. She has so much potential but is so beaten down, her kids are amazing and would do well out of that "lifestyle", and she has the skills to support her family. Such a move could be the best thing for her and her kids.

The thought just occurred to me that TLC producers could possibly have encouraged someone to leave to create a storyline, knowing that there were cracks in certain relationships (this is just speculation on my part). We've seen that type of behaviour / interference before on reality shows . Sure hope I am wrong on that score because there are relationships, feelings, peoples' lives and children involved.

The comment, however, is probably a troll, or a plant from a Brown insider (as has happened before).

I read some at your blog, though I haven't read the book yet. I'm not really surprised that the relationships between the wives are the way they are. I mean, it's not what is portrayed on T.V., but I think polygamy (whether FLDS or not) fosters competition among women all vying for the man's attention. Often their only currency is their fertility, so I'm not surprised Mary..er Meri is unhappy and mean to the other ones. Christine always seems very nice, but I think she's someone with a low sense of self-worth and because of religion thinks she needs to find herself through Kody. She could be much happier without him.

All of those women would be much happier without Kody.

Except maybe Robyn. She's one of those chicks who always needs a man lavishing her with attention.

I watched this craptastic nightmare of a show. These people make me want to scream. So you know I'll be watching the rest of the season!

Loved TLC's editing tonight. Janelle disciplining her two boys while Kody ignores it and keeps putting Christmas tree on top of car. With the wives saying it was better that way instead of saying "You wait til your father gets home (wagging finger)." (Like that might be a while, hahahaha) Christine having to cook dinner for everyone while Kody slept (priceless). Christine saying "You always seem late to arrive to my house and in a hurry to leave." Kody kissing her on the forehead and saying "I love you" and then walking away. Geesh.

Okay, is it bad that I loved that one of Janelle's boys punched the other in the face?! LOL!

They claimed if Kody had been present to discipline, he'd have been harder on them. Ha.

Oh, also: looks like Meri is going to check out this whole surrogate parent thing... if you go by the preview snippets.

I watched. The Hanukkah thing was hilarious. Couldn't help but wonder if they did it because they think they are descendants of Jews who came to America in giant boats :|

I watched. The Hanukkah thing was hilarious. Couldn't help but wonder if they did it because they think they are descendants of Jews who came to America in giant boats :|

I figured they were trying to appear as if they are open-minded and accepting of other faiths. Cuz, you know, they are just like everyone else...

TLC seems to be heavily suggesting that Christine and Kody are going to go through some serious stuff and may not make it, so I'm going to assume it's a ploy for ratings and nothing is actually going to happen.

TLC seems to be heavily suggesting that Christine and Kody are going to go through some serious stuff and may not make it, so I'm going to assume it's a ploy for ratings and nothing is actually going to happen.

Yeah. You're probably right. Part of me just wants someone in that group to see the light and get out. Permanently. But I suppose everyone has too many children invested (minus Meri who only has one child because she has problems in that area).

I figured they were trying to appear as if they are open-minded and accepting of other faiths. Cuz, you know, they are just like everyone else...

I love how Kody justified it. "I have Jewish friends, and my church won't mind". Really? Plus, celebrating Hanukkah instead of Joseph Smith's birthday seemed like "throwing a bone" to Christine, since apparently, she's the only one who wanted to honor Smith. I'm just not so sure Christine is really the only one who wanted to have a blow out bash to celebrate Smith's b-day.

Robyn's bracelet design made me laugh because that's how Margene on Big Love ended up gaining her independence (selling jewellery on HSN). I actually thought they were quite pretty. Certainly nicer than a lot of stuff I've seen.

Do you think the cul de sac dream will come true?

Robyn's bracelet design made me laugh because that's how Margene on Big Love ended up gaining her independence (selling jewellery on HSN). I actually thought they were quite pretty. Certainly nicer than a lot of stuff I've seen.

If TLC pays...

They have a lot of similarities to BL. Robyn is so the Margene of the bunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't know what the big fuss is. Polygamy is not for me personally, but, if that's how GROWN ADULTS want to live their lives, and it makes them happy, what do I care? It's the same with gay marriage! I'm not gay and do not desire to marry anyone of the same sex. But if a grown man or woman wants to marry someone of the same sex, what do I care? In fact, I wish the best for them.

Their "polygamist arrangement" seems a lot better than many of these patriarchal fundie marriages. And it seems the wives want their kids to choose their own paths in life, which is also a lot more than I can say for many patriarchal marriages, such as the Maxwells. Gotta give them kudos for that.

So, while I don't want to be in a polygamist marriage myself, or a gay marriage, I do want to support these people in making lifestyle choices, as long as they are not hurting their children or other people.

Archived