IGNORED

Maxwell Conferences

Justme

Sprocket,

Did you get the impression that none of them will ever leave the cult of Steve? That is what i walked away with, but I was there for a much shorter period of time.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your the woman, Sprocket. I'm sorry you cried. :(

So, I am thinking of emailing my platonic guy friends and telling them we are going to have to pencil in some shag time. Cause Steve Maxwell says there is no way our hormones could have been together and not mixed, so we might as well. :shhh:

I agree that the Maxwell family is one of the most damaging families cults out there. The twisted, downright sick thinking that Steve has imposed on that family, the absolute control he wields over them and the absolute dreariness of it all is just astounding. I cannot fathom living such a life. I am even more relieved for Elizabeth Munck not marrying into that family cult. That life would be my idea of hell.

Thanks, Sprocket, for sharing your observations and thoughts.

Sprocket,

Did you get the impression that none of them will ever leave the cult of Steve? That is what i walked away with, but I was there for a much shorter period of time.

Probably not until Steve dies. I don't think they will ever let the girls marry either unless the would-be husband is willing to live under Steve's thumb, as others point out. But the way he spoke, it was evident that you could do NOTHING without your family and there would be no enjoyment in anything whatsoever. Enjoyment = sin. I think it will be hard to find a man who is willing to fill the Steve Maxwell mold.

Thanks for going, Sprocket! I'm sorry it was so hard for you. :cry: I hope you lots of fun things the rest of the week to get yourself feeling better, and also to rub it in the Maxwells' faces!

You don't build memories by "doing fun stuff".

This makes me so sad. Only a monster would think that way! :character-oscar:

Oh, and I left a FJ calling card. I'll post pictures later unless someone else wants to do it first. I contributed two dollars to the FJ cause in hopes that the Maxwell offspring would see it and wonder.

Good job! I would love to know what their reaction was to seeing those, and also what they are thinking about FJ now.

Hang in there, Sprocket! Love on your kiddos and think what a wonderful life you are giving them, complete with memories of fun and happy things! :romance-caress:

Thanks for sitting through that Sprocket. It must have been hard to listen to.

Yes, we really do need a male volunteer to sit in on Steve's talk.

One thing that always struck me about the Maxwells—and it's a major factor, I think, in what makes them more dangerous—is that unlike many fundies, their hate is well hidden. Outwardly, they seem wholesome, godly and generally harmless. They're handsomely packaged to appeal to on-the-bubble fundies. But scratch just a little below the surface and their (Steve's really) true colors show. He's a dictator and not a benevolent one either. Pol Pot, Stalin, definitely. He's exercised a level of mind-control, and physical control, that would have him under watch by Amnesty International if he ran a country. No one will EVER convince me that his family went along with his vision based on free will. No. Fucking. Way. Underneath his bland exterior lurks an evil being. He is truly dangerous and I seriously doubt his family will ever escape, even after he's dead. They're that broken.

Thanks, Sprocket. And I'm with you. I just want to cry.

Thank you for the recap. That is so sad to hear. I feel for Terri. My husband has been my support throughout my depression, I cannot imagine if I had to be married to Steve. :cry:

Well Jessica and Jezebel, you're in luck.

titus2.com/conferences.html

Resurrecting this thread because after our two recent conference visits, I was curious if they had posted their schedule for the west coast yet (since I live there)... and this is what I found (and sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I searched and looked but didn't see it:

2013 Conferences

We are planning a trip to Canada in the Spring. We will be scheduling dates soon. Please contact us if you're interested in coordinating a conference for that trip.

So... no more comment about AZ, CA, or ID. I thought that was interesting.

This just makes me sad. Sad for Teri, his children, his grandchildren. I am a pacifist but I don't think I would be sad if he died. It doesn't have to be murder or a painful death, I just feel it's the only solution. And I hate that, I hate having to say it and think it but it's the only solution to all the brainwashing.

This just makes me sad. Sad for Teri, his children, his grandchildren. I am a pacifist but I don't think I would be sad if he died. It doesn't have to be murder or a painful death, I just feel it's the only solution. And I hate that, I hate having to say it and think it but it's the only solution to all the brainwashing.

I agree. It is a really disturbing situation. I feel like our site does a bit to help because we keep information on them in a public area, and recently we have began pushing back a bit. We can at least keep more families from becoming Maxwell families.

Resurrecting this thread because after our two recent conference visits, I was curious if they had posted their schedule for the west coast yet (since I live there)... and this is what I found (and sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I searched and looked but didn't see it:

So... no more comment about AZ, CA, or ID. I thought that was interesting.

Steve, Steve, Steve,

Don't you realize that Free Jinger is in Canada, too?

Canadian FJer chiming in to say that I am up for crashing a Maxwell conference in the northern GTA. Where I live, we have a fairly active homeschool group, so it could happen. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;)

Of course! We need someone in the teen group and my daughter will not do it. I was demgirls mentor last time, I think I was her "married mentor",she had a whole story...

If anyone is considering the Pittsburgh one, PM me. Its in Beaver(not Pittsburgh at all)at an Evangelical Church and I am too scared to go alone. I can do 1 day only,not sure of kids schedule that far in advance, but I can get one day off for sure. :clap:

Clibbyjo, can you PM me? I tried to PM you but I'm too new. I'm in Pittsburgh area too, but I'm too chicken to go by myself...

One thing that always struck me about the Maxwells—and it's a major factor, I think, in what makes them more dangerous—is that unlike many fundies, their hate is well hidden. Outwardly, they seem wholesome, godly and generally harmless. They're handsomely packaged to appeal to on-the-bubble fundies. But scratch just a little below the surface and their (Steve's really) true colors show. He's a dictator and not a benevolent one either. Pol Pot, Stalin, definitely. He's exercised a level of mind-control, and physical control, that would have him under watch by Amnesty International if he ran a country. No one will EVER convince me that his family went along with his vision based on free will. No. Fucking. Way. Underneath his bland exterior lurks an evil being. He is truly dangerous and I seriously doubt his family will ever escape, even after he's dead. They're that broken.

Thanks, Sprocket. And I'm with you. I just want to cry.

This x 100 :clap:

To add to this, all of his sons will likely become carbon copies of Steve himself and maybe even worse. Because they have the pompous attitude that they always made the right choice, thy were raised in a godly home, they guarded their hearts, they never went in debt, they were homeschooled, they're godly leaders, they have submissive wives, they're letting God plan their families.... Blah blah blah, they're ultimately entitled to a superior life because they're just so perfect. Not that I hope ruin on their lives but seriously, I hope their image crumbles and people stop flocking to them thinking they have the perfect family.

I don't even think this is really about God. Steve just uses God as a tool to exert control over his family. It's all about how he can control people. I can only assume he has very low self-esteem if he feels this type of compulsion to dictate every little aspect of his family's lives. He might do well to get some counseling.

Thank you for sitting through that, Sprocket, and I'm sorry it made you upset. It's all just so, so sad. :( Just one thing for FJ-ers who might attend future conferences and want to leave messages like your dollars - in addition to writing 'Freejinger is watching you' and the URL, would it be a good idea also to say something about how many of us sympathise with the 'children' and would be happy if they left the cult? I think that if we just say 'Freejinger is watching you' then they can easily just dismiss us as being of the devil (particularly as the 'children' have been taught explicitly that the outside world is literally evil), whereas if we say something about how some FJ-ers are sympathetic to those caught in the cult of Steve, then it might make things sink in a bit more?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there, really. It's the end of a long day so I might not be thinking very coherently.

Thank you for sitting through that, Sprocket, and I'm sorry it made you upset. It's all just so, so sad. :( Just one thing for FJ-ers who might attend future conferences and want to leave messages like your dollars - in addition to writing 'Freejinger is watching you' and the URL, would it be a good idea also to say something about how many of us sympathise with the 'children' and would be happy if they left the cult? I think that if we just say 'Freejinger is watching you' then they can easily just dismiss us as being of the devil (particularly as the 'children' have been taught explicitly that the outside world is literally evil), whereas if we say something about how some FJ-ers are sympathetic to those caught in the cult of Steve, then it might make things sink in a bit more?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there, really. It's the end of a long day so I might not be thinking very coherently.

I think it's a good idea. Someone with some time to search for them (all right, all right, I can do it) might include some Bible verses that contradict what Steve is force-feeding them. And just let them know that they can love their 'Daddy' and disagree with him.

Thanks for taking one for the team Sprocket.

My impressions have been confirmed by your field work. Steve Maxwell is a cult leader and the rest of the family has Stockholm syndrome/been brain washed. It is all just sad.

I think it's a good idea. Someone with some time to search for them (all right, all right, I can do it) might include some Bible verses that contradict what Steve is force-feeding them. And just let them know that they can love their 'Daddy' and disagree with him.

Yes, yes, YES! Also, I'd absolutely love it if a Christian FJ-er could have a conversation with some of them and ask penetrating, knowledgeable questions about theology, showing how the Maxwells' interpretation of the Bible is twisted. I think having a normal Christian ask them questions about that sort of thing would make the message sink in more than if it was an ebil heathen.

Steve must have figured out that we have Arizona and both northern and southern California covered. I'm happy that it looks like he won't be contaminating anyone out west, but I was giving it more than a passing thought of going to counter him in some way. Spreading anit-Maxwell tracts is probably my style.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, Sprocket. I feel very sad and pessimistic about the future of this family. I agree with others that he 'best' possible outcome for the majority of the family would probably only come from Steve's demise. Even then, it would be a long, hard road for the survivors, and I would expect that some of the "children" may already be in too deep to re-evaluate, even after his death.

It must also be fucking awful for poor Gigi, living next door to them, seeing her daughter devastated by depression, her grandchildren afraid of anything resembling real life, and all the while watching Grandpa die a slow death from dementia.

Thank you, Sprocket, but I'm sorry also for how draining & depressing it was for you.

I really like the idea of the dollar bill messages -- at least a couple of layers of meaning there -- and agree that it would be good to work in a succinct message of support for children.

Steve must have figured out that we have Arizona and both northern and southern California covered. I'm happy that it looks like he won't be contaminating anyone out west, but I was giving it more than a passing thought of going to counter him in some way. Spreading anit-Maxwell tracts is probably my style.

Yeah. I'm kinda sad. I hope they still come, because I desperately want to say hello. Steve, I've visited several groups with whom I disagree and I am always polite.

I'm not (usually) this dramatic but reading this gave me chills. And thinking that the people that attend these conferences might come away thinking that this is the way to raise their kids, just breaks my heart. I feel so so so bad for all the Maxwell "children". It's horrifying. I think Steve's death would have terrible consequences for this family, because... well... sometimes when a cult leader dies, the rest of the cult cannot function. At all. And so... they end up dying too. It scares me to think what kinds of things have been brainwashed into them regarding this idea. And seriously, Steve upped the creep factor with the Daddy tapes and with the youngest girl's "I love my Daddy" with the heart-hand thing... ugh there go the chills again.

And to lighten it a little: Steve! Dude! JESUS HAD FRIENDS.

Archived