IGNORED

Breaking Amish

Maude

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to say, Kate appears to be the most honest of all the players on this show. She was up front about the DUI since the beginning. She also had the least come out about her past. Abe and Rebecca were beyond pissy tonight. I wonder she's going through a custody battle and cannot mention her child on tv. Jeremiah is just too creepy; I wouldn't trust him. Don't know if Sabrina is just shy or permanently guilty about everything because she always looks away from the camera and they person she is talking to. No real eye conduct. I liked the interviewer pushing them for their answers.

I'd have to say, Kate appears to be the most honest of all the players on this show. She was up front about the DUI since the beginning. She also had the least come out about her past. Abe and Rebecca were beyond pissy tonight. I wonder she's going through a custody battle and cannot mention her child on tv. Jeremiah is just too creepy; I wouldn't trust him. Don't know if Sabrina is just shy or permanently guilty about everything because she always looks away from the camera and they person she is talking to. No real eye conduct. I liked the interviewer pushing them for their answers.

I agree Kate is the most honest one. For awhile, I didn't like her. Abe and Rebecca were both annoying and pissy. Abe looks older than his age. Jeremiah is the worst one out of the bunch. He talked about the DV case was dismissed and he had proof that he wasn't stalking his ex. But there is still a creep factor attached to him and he doesn't seem trustworthy. I also got the feeling that Sabrina felt guilty about everything. The only I wish the best for is Kate.

I wonder if they're keeping mum about the truth in order to get a renewal for the show for season 2. If they came clean about everything, nobody would be willing to watch it and would brush it off as scripted "reality" tv series. I think TLC was trying to compete with Nat Geo's "Amish: Out of Order" but failed to realize how quick it is to find information on someone on the internet nowadays. So much of that show was fake yet they wouldn't own up to it. TLC is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for more reality shows to gain audiences if they're hiring ex-Amishs to pretend as if they just left the compound in order to show the world how they adjust to the "English World."

I only watched bits and pieces of the reunion episodes but I noticed how out of it Jeremiah looked. I wonder how much pot he smoked before joining the rest of the cast on the sofas.

I've only watched this sporadically while at the gym, but while I wasn't head over heels for any of them, I tended to like Kate and Sabrina the best.

There's no excuse for Kate's DUI, and she did have her "mean girl" moments, but generally I liked her. She had a spark about her that the others lacked. Sabrina seemed a little lost in her personal life, which is probably understandable given the situation in which she grew up, but I found myself hoping she sorts stuff out.

Abe and Rebecca both came off as judgmental right off the bat, which turned me off, and well, what hasn't been said about Jeremiah? He's a dim, abusive neanderthal.

I wonder if they're keeping mum about the truth in order to get a renewal for the show for season 2. If they came clean about everything, nobody would be willing to watch it and would brush it off as scripted "reality" tv series. I think TLC was trying to compete with Nat Geo's "Amish: Out of Order" but failed to realize how quick it is to find information on someone on the internet nowadays. So much of that show was fake yet they wouldn't own up to it. TLC is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for more reality shows to gain audiences if they're hiring ex-Amishs to pretend as if they just left the compound in order to show the world how they adjust to the "English World."

I only watched bits and pieces of the reunion episodes but I noticed how out of it Jeremiah looked. I wonder how much pot he smoked before joining the rest of the cast on the sofas.

I'm wondering about a show renewal. I hope the show doesn't renewed. But on the other hand, the reunion shows might have turned people off. There were some viewers that were in the dark about the participants. The ones that were in the dark might be looking at those FB pages or the previous articles about the show. If the show does get renewed, it is possible that some of the viewers might not tune in. I did chuckle at the beggining when they said they didn't act for the camera. I don't think the show was completely staged or scripted, but I think there were a lot of times Abe acted dumb for the cameras.

Abe and Becky really have pissy faces in the previews when it appears the interviewer asks if he's the father. I say put 'em on Maury. :mrgreen:

This.

I'd wager we'll never see them again.

TLC was forced to do damage control with those Q&A shows. They threw the "kids" under the bus, making it seem as though TLC was duped by them, when it's actually TLC's fault for either not doing any homework whatsoever about these people or, and I think this is more likely, assuming the audience wouldn't look into their internet and public information histories.

I'd wager we'll never see them again.

TLC was forced to do damage control with those Q&A shows. They threw the "kids" under the bus, making it seem as though TLC was duped by them, when it's actually TLC's fault for either not doing any homework whatsoever about these people or, and I think this is more likely, assuming the audience wouldn't look into their internet and public information histories.

I could be completely off on this, but I think TLC bought a bridge on this one. For some reason I remember reading that this wasnt a TLC produced show but one they bought from an independent production company. Not that it matters all that much because they still aired it, but I think if TLC had actually produced it soundman Jim or his equivalent would have alerted them after he first week...

I could be completely off on this, but I think TLC bought a bridge on this one. For some reason I remember reading that this wasnt a TLC produced show but one they bought from an independent production company. Not that it matters all that much because they still aired it, but I think if TLC had actually produced it soundman Jim or his equivalent would have alerted them after he first week...

That makes sense. But if anything, TLC should then have used even more caution, and not assume just because someone sometimes appears in Amish garb that she's never posted photos of herself in a bikini online and isn't hiding an out-of-wedlock (or not) baby with her grandparents.

Next time TLC should hire a 14 year old background investigator to make sure they get all the intel in advance of buying or starting a series.

Next time TLC should hire a 14 year old background investigator to make sure they get all the intel in advance of buying or starting a series.

Or just ask us! People started screaming about that show in the previews that the attire was wrong. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall at whatever meeting happened after the first episode aired and they knew they were duped. Someone didnt use Dr. Google...

Hey TLC - I propose you do a show on former aliens attempting to fit in on Earth. I, myself, am a former martian. Seeing how you dont need to actually be a martian to be on your show how about you come film me for a month? I'll take 50k.

It's possible that any discussion of Rebecca's baby could have legal consequences for possible custody or child support claims.

I think that TLC could have clarified right from the beginning that these were 5 people who had been born into these communities, but who had been in the process of acting out for a while, even though they hadn't yet made a final, clean break. They could have focused more on that push and pull and the dynamics of rebellion in the Amish/Mennonite communities, instead of doing this stupid "walk through NYC in Amish garb as if you've never been away from the farm" thing.

If TLC bought the show from an independent production company and aired the show knowing that a lot of things were staged that is messed up. A part of me thinks TLC thought that no one from the subjects' lives would ever come forward. Sabrina was pissed last night and she said a so-called friend of hers was the one who leaked the twitter wedding picture. I think that friends or relatives of the subjects got pissed at the big lies and decided to expose them. Sabrina seemed to be dodging her responsibility. Even if that pic hadn't been leaked, there were also public records about her marriage.

I'm looking at the Breaking Amish The Truth FB page and one woman is trying to defend them.

I don't thnk that anyone should say anyhting negative about those kids I give them a lot of credit for leaving their present situation, at leat now the ones that want to g to school and get an education has now got that chance and now they have oportunities that they would have never had in the Amish community.

Good for all of u u all keep up the wnderful work I wish all 5 of u the very, best of the best now and always.

Brightest Blessings.

She sounds really stupid. The cast left the Amish and Mennonite communities years ago. Jeremiah had been out for 14 years. Sabrina had stopped being Mennonite after getting married. Rebecca, Abe, and Kate have been out for a few years. That woman totally ignores the point of the FB page and she ignores the fact that the cast lied on the show.

Even if supposedly the cast had never left the farm until now, this show isn't realistic. Not all Amish trying to break free go to NYC and live in nice hotels and drink cocktails. They probably struggle to just keep a roof under the heads and food in their bellies. The gang didn't struggle at all to keep afloat and to just survive. Everything was pretty much paid for. They lived in a nice hotel, drank, went to nice restaurants, shopped....not realistic at all. They weren't trying to get their GEDs or looking for a permanent house or a job. Their time in NYC wasn't a good way to show them how things would be in the "English show".

This was more like "The Real World: Amish Style" than the Nat Geo Amish show. No matter what the cast say, this show isn't realistic about the Amish. If it was, they would have spent less time at sex museums and more time at stores filling out applications and they would have lived in a cheap motel instead of a nice hotel.

There is some interesting kerfuffle going on on the "Breaking Amish The Exposé" Facebook page. Either Rebecca's ex-husband (or someone impersonating Rebecca's ex-husband) is making some noise about the Rebecca-Abe baby thing, and some folks have posted screencaps from Abe's brother's facebook (dated July 2011) that depict the brother with a baby, whom he says is "my bro Abe's."

I have to admit, I'm fascinated by this show - but mostly the trainwreck it's created.

Even if supposedly the cast had never left the farm until now, this show isn't realistic. Not all Amish trying to break free go to NYC and live in nice hotels and drink cocktails. They probably struggle to just keep a roof under the heads and food in their bellies. The gang didn't struggle at all to keep afloat and to just survive. Everything was pretty much paid for. They lived in a nice hotel, drank, went to nice restaurants, shopped....not realistic at all. They weren't trying to get their GEDs or looking for a permanent house or a job. Their time in NYC wasn't a good way to show them how things would be in the "English show".

This was more like "The Real World: Amish Style" than the Nat Geo Amish show. No matter what the cast say, this show isn't realistic about the Amish. If it was, they would have spent less time at sex museums and more time at stores filling out applications and they would have lived in a cheap motel instead of a nice hotel.

I agree with everything you said. The Nat Geo Amish show did focus on some of the financial and career struggles that go on with ex-Amish. I remember on the Nat Geo show there was an episode focused on a young man who wanted to attend college and paying for it was a huge concern. Breaking Amish was definitely set up as a trashy The Real World type show. The BA cast got spoiled and it was obvious at times that they really loved the perks. I have a feeling that the dentist who worked with Kate was secretly paid by TLC or the production company.

It also would have been interesting for the show to focus more on the whole idea of keeping values when you leave a really tight community.

Jeremiah seemed to have clung to this Amish stereotype that the "English" are all immoral party animals with no sexual boundaries - it's just that he was no longer Amish and figured that there was no problem with the stripper and with having sex with Sabrina while she was drunk.

Rebecca seemed to be the opposite - she didn't want to stay in her community, but still pictured life with certain standards.

I also worry a bit of Sabrina and Kate in terms of sexual boundaries and assertiveness. Since the rules in their communities were so strict, they really hadn't learned how to negotiate life as a woman in the outside "English" world. Kate doesn't seem to react to being treated like a product by the modelling agency or being told to lose weight when she was already so thin. Sabrina had issues with Jeremiah, but didn't seem to be able to recognize the full extent of his creepiness and downright abusive personality. I honestly felt sick for her as I was listening to how she had to push him off when he started to have sex with her while she was drunk.

I also worry a bit of Sabrina and Kate in terms of sexual boundaries and assertiveness...... Sabrina had issues with Jeremiah, but didn't seem to be able to recognize the full extent of his creepiness and downright abusive personality. I honestly felt sick for her as I was listening to how she had to push him off when he started to have sex with her while she was drunk.

Yes, it was very unsettling. I seem to recall Jeremiah saying something like "we both enjoyed it", when of course, as it was described, that couldn't have been the case. It sounded like he was trying to deflect any notion that what happened was possibly rape.

I'd like to think TLC has finally jumped the shark with this piece of filth masquerading as “realityâ€, but I fear they may have even further yet to fall.

There are rumors circulating that Kate wants her own show and that she hates the rest of the cast. US weekly and several sites are talking about it. I do believe that Kate no longer likes her cast mates.

There are rumors circulating that Kate wants her own show and that she hates the rest of the cast. US weekly and several sites are talking about it. I do believe that Kate no longer likes her cast mates.

Well, Kate and I are on the same page then.

I, too, would like my own show and I don't like her cast mates either.

Yes, it was very unsettling. I seem to recall Jeremiah saying something like "we both enjoyed it", when of course, as it was described, that couldn't have been the case. It sounded like he was trying to deflect any notion that what happened was possibly rape.

I'd like to think TLC has finally jumped the shark with this piece of filth masquerading as “realityâ€, but I fear they may have even further yet to fall.

2xx1xy1JD - I felt nauseous watching that also. I turned the TV right off at that point. The skeevy predator vibe is strong in Ole Jeremiah. I hope never to see his creepiness showcased again, unless it's on CourtTV.

Jennifer Juniper - I agree, it's well-past time that TLC put a period to this crap. Sadly, I also agree that they will find more depths to plumb.

• 5 months later...

Breaking Amish is back - this time they are catching up with the cast and embarking on a set-up trip to Sarasota Florida to look for new opportunities.

Besides Kate, it looks like the cast is struggling to gain employment and stability. Sabrina's boyfriend is in jail, Abe and Rebecca are living in a 1 room apartment (with her Daughter? there was a pack-n-play) along one wall, and Jeremiah has an all new girlfriend who appears willing to stir things up (One of the previews shows her starting a fight).

It is sad they continue to struggle, but a lot of the details are pretty murky (fabricated?) . Some stories said there would be another season with a whole new set of "recently Amish"

The cast looks like they need help, and I am not sure what kind of social services are available to help them connect with Jobs and training. I was surprised that Abe's mother agreed to be on the show, made a statement and called out some specific issues the Amish Bishop had with comments on the show. Like a lot of things with this series, it all seemed "sufficiently vague" and I am just waiting to see if the series will actually go for some authenticity this time around.

Anyone know? Any links to real FB pages or sightings out there?

- A

AnnC, the only fb page I know about is the Breaking Amish The Truth page. That was my gateway to fb. It has sucked me in. I haven't watched the new show yet, but I did DVR it. Just haven't had enough alcohol to watch it yet :D

I don't get why Abe couldn't do something besides construction. There are plenty of jobs out there that don't require a job. McDonalds is a prime example. Sure, it may have worse pay than construction, but wouldn't it be better than having no job at all? Especially when you have a kid? Also, why couldn't they move an hour away. They would be able to find a job easier while still living in a good driving distance away. You can't be picky when you need to make a living.

Also, why aren't they trying to get their GED? Have they never heard of it? I'm sure they had to after they left the Amish ( but before the show ).

If Jeremiah is such a pain in the butt, why do they have to deal with him? Is it probably because of the contract?

Finally, what does going to NYC and going on a road trip have to do with learning to live outside the Amish. My dad left home when he was 15 and no way was he doing all that stuff. He was living in ok to bad neighborhoods and working jobs where ever he could ( he even worked in a floral shop one time because he was that desperate ). He still did dumb things when he was young, but he wasn't doing anything like the Breaking Amish stars did. Also, he was smart enough to know that if he wanted to get further in life that he should get a high school diploma at the least. I'm proud to say that he managed to juggle school and work and was able to graduate from high school, becoming first in his family to do so.

But yea, what they do in Breaking Amish is not what Amish people do when they leave the Amish!

Archived