IGNORED

Breaking Amish

Maude

Okay, I still watch this despite myself. On Sunday's episode, Rebecca came home to an empty house. The grandparents apparently moved, except they forgot to take their buggy and their horse, which were right outside the house. And they didn't shut off phone service to the shed. Aren't they farmers? How do you move a farm?

I was under the impression that you only moved out when you gave the house to your eldest child to take over the farm. Unless they sold out to a gas station, I call bullshit.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering about the where the baby is as well. The show seems to be doing well in the ratings but even if it wasn't after the show airs didn't TLC or Abe or Rebecca know the baby will be found out. Were or Are Rebecca and Abe going to stay in hiding for the next 16 years? Has anyone checked the closing credits? Maybe TLC has a disclaimer about the show being a reinactment.

Im most disappointed that Jermiah was picked as well. TLC couldn't find anyone better from Moses group featured on NatGeo(I remember seeing lots of 20 something young man that were roofers)? The best they could pick is a 32 year old divorcee with tons of domestic violence issues

I like the NatGeo Amish show much better than Breaking Amish. The NatGeo show participants seem likable. Mose Gingerich does have some enemies and I remember TWOP posters ripped on him after that episode in which an ex-Amish died and they were mad that Mose didn't do anything to help with funeral expenses. The NatGeo ex-Amish subjects seemed honest in their interviews, I recall of them said she had been out of the Amish for several years. Another subject was a guy who was 19 or 20 and had been looking into getting into college.

My guess is that TLC couldn't find good ex-Amish or about to leave Amish subjects and so they had to go with this batch and they decided to lie about a lot of things. I bet the cast probably wasn't honest with TLC on certain things. Some of them probably didn't realize that old MySpace and twitter accounts can be found through Google cache or other sources. I think part of the reason the ratings are high is because people want to see how and if TLC addresses some of the things that have already been exposed.

My guess is that TLC couldn't find good ex-Amish or about to leave Amish subjects and so they had to go with this batch and they decided to lie about a lot of things. I bet the cast probably wasn't honest with TLC on certain things. Some of them probably didn't realize that old MySpace and twitter accounts can be found through Google cache or other sources. I think part of the reason the ratings are high is because people want to see how and if TLC addresses some of the things that have already been exposed.

While the participants probably did lie not realizing the permanent nature of the Internets, there is no excuse for TLC not vetting them. Very basic background checks would have uncovered all of this shit.

I stopped watching the show early on, but it turns out a number of my teenage daughters' friends are big fans. When my older daughter told them what I told her about the blatantly false picture TLC is painting about these people, the other kids refused to believe it. So I'm not sure the ratings are high because people are on to them. I think they might be high because people are in the dark about the truth and actually believe the wild soap operas that unfolded with each passing episode really happened

It is scary how clueless people remain about the truth of reality TV.

While the participants probably did lie not realizing the permanent nature of the Internets, there is no excuse for TLC not vetting them. Very basic background checks would have uncovered all of this shit.

I stopped watching the show early on, but it turns out a number of my teenage daughters' friends are big fans. When my older daughter told them what I told her about the blatantly false picture TLC is painting about these people, the other kids refused to believe it. So I'm not sure the ratings are high because people are on to them. I think they might be high because people are in the dark about the truth and actually believe the wild soap operas that unfolded with each passing episode really happened

It is scary how clueless people remain about the truth of reality TV.

I agree it possible that people are in the dark about the truth and that is why the ratings are high. I first found about the scandals through Twitter. I saw that Breaking Amish was one of the trending topics and I saw tweets from people who said stuff like "I'm mad that Breaking Amish is staged". After that I did research I found articles and that FB page that someone posted here. Some viewers are always in the dark because they sometimes don't frequent certain Internet sites. It is kind of the same thing with the Duggars, Josh has been a douche on twitter and instagram, and some of the Parentables articles Michelle writers are BS and sometimes state things that aren't true. Some 19kac viewers don't know about this because they don't check out certain online sites.

The reason I've kept watching some of the episodes is to see how fake it can get. It is a trainwreck that I can't completely turn away from. I hate to say this, but I wonder if Abe is encouraged to act very dumb for the show. I think Breaking Amish has gained fans through some of the people who liked Jersey Shore, The Hills etc. I admit I liked watching The Hills and I always got the vibe that it was mostly staged or scripted.

I also agree, TLC should have done background checks on the participants. But I kind of wonder about background checks, since Jeremiah's ex wife has claimed TLC offered her money to keep quiet about Jeremiah's past.

Regarding the Abe and Rebecca wedding:

1. If their familes and friends are all gonefrom their lives, why use a wedding planner and plan a huge deal?

2. Are they at least pretending where they are getting the money to pay for the wedding? The planner estimated modern weddings to cost an average of $25k and just listed a few things that "add up". No way a wedding with 5 ppl - since they are all "shunned - will cost that.

Oh man, even Jeremiahs Amish girlfriend isn't Amish

http://xamishatheist.com/

According to the FB pages, Jeremiah (early 30s) has been dating

https://www.facebook.com/kymberlie.nicole.77?fref=pb

who is 18 years old, both of them have confirmed in on FB, she was even arrested/mentioned in a police report of his, something about lying for him.

Something I wondered: Obviously Jeremiah's exgf Iva isn't/is no longer Amish. But is TLC just not trying? When they showed the scene of Jeremiah visiting her and her closing the door on him there was a window unit AC in the window of her trailer. If she was Amish living in an Amish community wouldn't she not have electricity?

Rebecca's grandparents house had power outlets and a sink too, and yet on the show she pretended to have never seen a freaking LIGHT TURN ON or running water.

There an article that says she and Abe lived together in a friends trailer, they used their washer/dryer, and this was when she was pregnant with their child.

I dont think anything on the show was actually real. Every little bit of it was scripted.

A lot of things like fridges, stoves, heat/air are run on old Kerosene generators so they can use them. So they get the use of them, but not with electricity.

Okay, I still watch this despite myself. On Sunday's episode, Rebecca came home to an empty house. The grandparents apparently moved, except they forgot to take their buggy and their horse, which were right outside the house. And they didn't shut off phone service to the shed. Aren't they farmers? How do you move a farm?

I watched about 10 minutes of the first episode, then just caught this little bit last night flipping through channels; hysterical. :lol: Yeah, right. The grandparents move out and "abandon" Rebecca, but leave the phone hooked up so that she can make a desperate call to see where they've gone and "receive" a call where she mournfully relays this news on camera for dramatic effect. I was thinking, "Geez, guys. At least give her her own cell phone so that viewers aren't wondering why there's a working phone in a supposedly abandoned house." :lol: :lol:

For the last three episodes I thought each one was the finale because of the way they advertised them. Really only reason I watch anymore.

I've been trying to watch this show but the last few weeks I just can't manage to finish the episodes. It reminds me a lot of Jersey Shore honestly, Jeremiah reminds me a lot of "The Situation" or whatever that guy's name is.

I recently returned from my husband's hometown in buttfucknowhere, Australia...a place with no fluoride in the water. The ramifications of not having fluoride is abundantly clear.

Um, my dad grew up in a town without fluoride, my mom grew up in a town with fluoride- yes in the 50's. My dad has crappier teeth than my mom, but he still has all his own teeth. I grew up without fluoride at home, but we had it at my grandparents and we took vitamins daily. I ended up with mild fluoridosis, and yet, I have crappy teeth like my dad's, though I still have all my own teeth- I suspect that there is one I may loose in the next decade, though. (my siblings were taken off the fluoride vitamins when my issues became apparent and did not have the fluoridosis)

While I do not think that fluoride in water is poison, I do not think it's the greatest thing in the world. I think that access to good dental care is much more important.

Breaking Amish does remind me a bit of Jersey Shore. Jersey Shore was probably staged/scripted quite a bit, but some of the people from JS are bit likable than the BA cast. I thought Snooki and The Situation were the worst ones from JS. On BA, for awhile I thought Rebecca and Abe were likable, but now I really don't find any of them to be likable. Jeremiah is the definitely worst one.

• 2 weeks later...
is anyone watching tonight?

No, I had some drying paint that needed to be watched instead.

But I am curious - did they ever explain the Abe/Rebecca/Baby situation or did they just skip over it?

Yes, she admitted to the marriage, the divorce in July and the baby. BUT they both refused to name Abe as the father. Abe went so far as to threaten the producer asking questions with walking off the set if they pursued that line of questioning. The baby bit was hilarious since it made Jeremiah speechless for a couple of seconds.

Abe and Rebecca got married. It looked real, but who knows. The blurbs at the end said they joined a Christian church and are in contact with their families, but we know Abe has a brother and tonight they revealed a cousin who left, so maybe that's the family. They can be quite disingenuous with those "where are they now" bits.

Haven't watched the aftershow yet; not even sure what they're going to cover.

Apparently, from the commercial on it, part two of the aftershow will feature questions on Breaking Amish being fake. I heard Jeremiah saying that people should do their research. The host then said people have done research and Abe and Rebecca started to get angry. I smiled a bit at that.

I watched a good chunk of it.

My kids had been following it, and I had a bad mommy moment when I realized where some of the questions were going. There was a pretty graphic description of drunk sex between Sabrina and Jeremiah (from the description, it sounded suspiciously close to rape, but Sabrina was not calling it that), and then a discussion about the prevalence of bestiality in the Amish community.

So far, there was less fighting than a typical Housewives reunion show. Sabrina and Rebecca exchanged apologies - Rebecca realized that her comments about Sabrina's constant eating were wrong, esp. since Sabrina said that she had previously had an eating disorder, and Sabrina realized that her comments about Rebecca's teeth were also wrong.

I tried to watch the finale and the reunion episode. Guess Rebecca's family move was all fake, since Rebecca would be concerned about the whereabouts of her 19 month old.

Anyone think the true story will come out in the second part of the finale?

I've only watched a few episodes of this show. The fact so much of it is fake turned me off. Does anyone know if they are doing another season of this? Is this it for the show?

I tried to watch the finale and the reunion episode. Guess Rebecca's family move was all fake, since Rebecca would be concerned about the whereabouts of her 19 month old.

Hopefully.

I think they will mainly address Jeremiah's divorce and 3 kids and and huge DV record how he hasn't been Amish in over a decade. And obviously Abe and Rebecca weren't living an Amish lifestyle either.

He really looked like he was on drugs, btw.

Abe and Becky really have pissy faces in the previews when it appears the interviewer asks if he's the father. I say put 'em on Maury. :mrgreen:

I'm watching part 2 now. They are addressing the FB pages that exposed them. They are saying that those people are jealous of them. Jeremiah is saying that he left the Amish multiple times.

Archived