IGNORED

Breaking Amish

Maude

Abe said in the first episode the last time he had had fun was 2 years ago. Could that have been when he and Rebecca got pregnant? Part of me thinks that the two of them signed up for this show to get the funds to start their life outside of the Amish community. Obviously somebody is caring for that baby now. Rebecca badly needed new teeth. And all they had to do was pretend to fall in love on tv. That seems like a small price to pay to be free of that lifestyle and still have money to start their lives with a child without educations.

Abe doesn't seem interested in drinking, only in wooing Rebecca. She is focused on impressing him. I think they were both in the Amish community but outcasts, and this seemed like the best option. I find them both the most likable characters on the show, FWIW

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So do I, LS. My dad's lived with dentures for almost as long as I can remember, and when they're wrong, it really is as bad as what Rebecca said. I'd fake a relationship on TV if I were getting properly-fitted dentures out of it -- and they don't even really have to fake it if they've had a baby. They really do like each other enough. Well, I hope they do.

Anyway, at least they're not Kate the trainwreck or Jeremiah the jackhole.

i have had veneers put on 18 of my teeth, and in order to do that you have to drill the natural teeth down to pinpoints. It hurt so much they had to divy up the procedure into several different appointments. ANTM makes it seem like it takes a day, but really it takes much more than that. mainly, bc, if they fix your front teeth, they have to build up your back teeth in order to make them match up to the porcelain ones. I thought when i got mine replaced i could just get the front ones, but it is really much more complicated than that. I actually have all my natural 6 bottom front teeth, and two on each side up top, but the rest are fake.

I can't even imagine the pain of having implants. Since she grew up probably with an aching mouth and horrible dentition, it probably was best in her circumstances to get all of her teeth pulled. Dentition can go really wrong really fast

FWIW in order to fix my front teeth i had to replace the back ones and completely re-arrange my bite to accomodate that.

Rebecca said her teeth were pulled when she was 19 but she's only 20 on the show. So I'm thinking that they were pulled after the photo with the baby. But why though? She wouldn't have still been with the Amish at that point.....

I think she still was Amish at that point. I think that her getting pregnant, tbh, was not an accident. I believe her and Abe liked each other, but he was getting pressure from his family because she is the product of premarital sex. The episode tonight he makes a point to say her past isn't important and doesn't make her who she is. I had a cousin who got pregnant because her parents didn't like her boyfriend, and they wanted to get married. It worked.

Does anyone else get the impression that Kate might be bipolar and never diagnosed? I am bipolar and I can tell you, her mood swings mimic mine to a t.

Guest Anonymous

What the Amish can't do is take videos of their kids' dance recitals and recreational activities. But they can use electricity and even be on video and use phones when it's in the course of making money that's needed to support the family and financially help their communities. Look at how many country Amish shops have electric and phones, but then they go home to none of it.

Wouldn't it be amazing if all this scandal was deliberate and the show turned out to have a twist ending where only one of the cast members was leaving home for the first time and all the others were planted there for some nefarious and dramatic reason...

Sabrina is the only one who has shown something resembling real emotion and personal struggle over leaving. She's cried more than once when talking about her family. The others all act like it's nothing, probably because they've all been separated for so long already. She's really the only one who seemed believable as someone leaving their home and potentially facing a lifelong separation from them.

An ex-Amish woman named Mary Byler says that she had all her teeth removed as punishment for "blabbing" about being sexualyl abused by family members. So it's not unheard of. I don't think there's just one standard for "the Amish"--there are five major different groups, subgroups within them, different ordnungs even within the same district, and probably just some families that are crazy as hell. I do hope that Rebecca had her teeth removed for medical reasons--as someone mentioned, if you have gum disease they will pull them out and give you dentures if implants aren't an option--and not because of some sadistic discipline plan. But even with that, TLC is getting it wrong, because there are some things "the Amish" have in common and one is that you don't get shunned for life, just until you change your ways.

I also find the total lack of thought about religion among these 5 odd for people who were raised Amish.

In central part, in the horse carriage, Abe says to Rebecca "I think mom, she would love this place here." Rebecca says "I think so too. I don't know if I'd bing her here because she probably wouldn't leave."

Abe then says she "opened up more" but in the scene immediately before they cut out she clearly was changing position to snuggle him.

Bullshit! They can't even edit the fake out!

It's odd that Rebecca puts the Amish garb back on to do the talking head commentary on the video segments showing her wearing modern clothing with her hair down.

Once she switched into modern clothes, the talking head segments should show her in her new look.

Despite the fact that I started this thread, I actually haven't watched beyond the first episode (it was a little too fake for me). It doesn't sound like I've missed a whole lot.

I was in Lancaster today and picked up an Amish County News. There's an article about the show that may answer when it was filmed (he says August - this year I assume?) and includes a spoiler that I think is about Rebecca and Abe.

digital version here - http://issuu.com/amishcountrynews/docs/acn_october2012_digital/51

He ends the article with a "stop the presses!" update about the internet chatter.

Dentures are never ideal. Especially with someone so young. I have a hard time believing that ALL of her teeth were bad enough to pull them, unless it was a money issue, or for punishment. There are multiple ways to try and salvage teeth, from implants, to bridges, to partials. I would bet that not one person with dentures wouldn't go back and try to save teeth if they could. Dental work doesn't come cheap though, so being poor is would totally factor in...

The latest episode was the worst one yet. Anyone else feel like reaching through the TV screen and strangling Jeremiah? What a chauvinist pig.

I want him to meet some rough new york chick and have her throttle him.

Does anyone else get the impression that Kate might be bipolar and never diagnosed? I am bipolar and I can tell you, her mood swings mimic mine to a t.

She freaked me out when she was filming herself in the bathroom mirror saying "Finally" over and over again. I don't know what is wrong, but there's something worth seeing a doctor about.

Yeah, the bathroom scene was weird. It was especially bizarre because Sabrina was outside the door knocking for like ten minutes, asking to use the bathroom, which Kate had apparently been in for an hour. That really weirded me out. That goes beyond regular selfishness... I mean you can actually hear Sabrina on Kate's tape. What the fuck was she doing in there for a whole hour?

Yeah, the bathroom scene was weird. It was especially bizarre because Sabrina was outside the door knocking for like ten minutes, asking to use the bathroom, which Kate had apparently been in for an hour. That really weirded me out. That goes beyond regular selfishness... I mean you can actually hear Sabrina on Kate's tape. What the fuck was she doing in there for a whole hour?

Putting on makeup with Amanda Bynes?

The last episode was really bizarre, with Sabrina and Jeremiah accusing Kate of using witchcraft and putting something in Sabrinas drink. Kate got all hysterical. What was weird was her interview (why are they in their Amish clothes for the interviews??) where the producer "broke" the news to her that they were accusing her of these things. It was so weirdly staged and the timing for the interview and the confrontation seemed way off.

On the facebook pages it has been confirmed that Jeremiah has an 18 year old (hes in his thirties) girlfriend, who was 17 when they started dating which was before he even started filming. The ENTIRE show is staged, not even "scripted" but completely fake.

Yet I still watch.

I haven't watched or DVR'd the last two episodes, i'll have to get caught up somehow. I'm curious to see how this show will end. I don't see it getting renewed for second season because there is a lot of negative publicity attached to the show. In the episodes I watched the only people that come off as ok are Rebecca and Abe. Something about Sabrina is really annoying, I can't pinpoint what it is.

Archived