IGNORED

Breaking Amish

Maude

I'm curious as to why someone that young is already wearing a full set of dentures lol. Do some of them end up with bad teeth due to the inbreeding that goes on? I was kind of disappointed, there was never an explanation on the need for the false teeth at 20 years old.

Yeah, it was strange. Maybe it's from her mother not taking care of her well - it sounds like she had moved in with her grandparents because her mother was so hostile. I've known some people that lost their teeth REAL early, like that early, mostly from diet but also in combination with REALLY sucky teeth genes.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few sites which have talked about these cast emmbers they have all ben out for some time. Jeremiah for at least 14 years he is divorced with 3 kids. Abe has been in trouble with the law and (possibly) has a child with Rebecca. It was so obviously staged in a lot of scenes. When the "Bishop's Wife" spots Jeremiah she is wearing a Lancaster kapp yet he is from the Ohio sect which wears kapps like Rebecca. None of the men have Amish hairstyles so they have been out long enough to cut their hair. Also the girls are way to accomlished with makeup to be as fresh as Rebecca makes out she is. Sabrina has had pics up on Facebook but the profile has been removed same with Jeremiah's. There is word that they were all recruited from their Facebook pages. http://xamishatheist dot com/2012/09/11/ex-amish-unite-in-vicious-protests-against-tlcs-breaking-amish/

I have met many Mennonites and Amish and while we have some pretty progressive Mennonites in my region they tend to be quite shy. Most of the time you won't be shunned unless you have already joined the church the whole Amish way is about forgiveness even those who step out from the more severe sects which do not have Rumspringa will welcome you back as long as you confess before the Church and give up your Englisch ways.The "school" has books open in glass cabinets that is too vain and an Amish school would not display the books in such a manner. I could go on and on

I would put the reason for a full set of dentures on a young person more on poor hygiene or lack of good water rather than on inbreeding. Inbreeding will cause more common occurrences of genetic diseases, but not usually gum disease etc.

I didn't watch the second epi, but someone said earlier that one of the boys had fathered kids before????

Yeah, it was strange. Maybe it's from her mother not taking care of her well - it sounds like she had moved in with her grandparents because her mother was so hostile. I've known some people that lost their teeth REAL early, like that early, mostly from diet but also in combination with REALLY sucky teeth genes.

malnutrition, meth mouth, bad diet lots of reasons...teh Maish have a lot of issues many get involved with alcohol and drugs when they participate in Rumspringa and many end up in trouble with the law with underage drinking

I don't think I'll be watching again either, even though I'm a junkie for Amish-related stuff. At first I felt sorry for them being exploited by TLC but not after the second episode -none of it makes sense. Why did Kate land at Grand Central Station when trains from Pennsylvania come into Penn Station? And why did the others take a plane from Philly to New York--just so Rebecca could freak out on camera? Why are the girls so mean? Kate already had a DUI and supposedly had been kicked out before, which is why she went to Florida, so how did she manage to be living at home in order to be kicked out again? With the possible exception of Abe, these are some very unlikeable people, and how does Abe take one walk around one part of Manhattan and decide that almost all of the women in New York are "skanks." Where did they get the money they were spending--did TLC give them a budget? I'm not convinced they are even ex-Amish--they could just be actors. This show is one hot mess.

I hope the girl with the bad teeth can use the $$ from the show for dental work. A friend of mine got implants for some lost teeth, and they are beautiful.

Not sure it would work for a full mouth... but at least she could get a real smile back.

I feel bad for her.

The show is scripted and fake. A close personal friend goes to the same church Sabrina did and her parents still do. My kids went to the same Mennonite school she did for a number of years. Her story as presented is totally false, except the part about being adopted. She has not been "plain" Mennonite for at least 3 years.

The producer got SO MUCH wrong it's hard to know where to start. The clothes are wrong, the coverings are wrong (Sabrina never wore strings on her covering--why did the producers think she needed them now?), and as far as the things Sabrina says about the Mennonites...almost everything is false.

Thanks for the info.

I feel bad for the participants, it sounds like they are trying to find their way in the world. Are the families still supportive?

When they started with the adopted and estranged theme across the participants - it looked like they all have family issues to work out.

I do know that Sabrina is not estranged. I give the cast the benefit of the doubt--while they are apparently lying, I expect TLC is to blame. The cast have contracts and their hands are essentially tied...they have to do/say what they're told.

There are two facebook pages about that deal with the lies and inconsistencies in Breaking Amish...Breaking Amish the Truth and Breaking Amish Expose. There are lots of people posting there who personally know cast members and their families.

I hope the girl with the bad teeth can use the $$ from the show for dental work. A friend of mine got implants for some lost teeth, and they are beautiful.

Not sure it would work for a full mouth... but at least she could get a real smile back.

I feel bad for her.

I think it could be used for a full mouth. My understanding is metal posts are implanted in the gums and the full dentures are snapped onto the posts. The teeth are now permanent, and don't come out. It's also my understanding that performing this procedure on the elderly depends on the condition and amount (meaning the bones have not degenerated too much with age) of the bones in their jaw.

If this is the case, someone young like Rebecca (is that her name?) would be good candidate.

Please correct me if someone else knows more about this procedure...

Apparently TLC has taken a page from the truTV, alla (operation repo) and HGTV (House Hunters), and decided to create scripted reality shows.

Oh, and sorry to burst any HH fans bubble (the DH felt betrayed), but the whole thing is fake, fake, fake. The contestants don't even start filming until they are in escrow with the "chosen" house. The crew works with their agent and friends to find other houses to show, houses they never toured.

I'm highly suspect of it. It's entertaining, but . . . I'm from Pennsylvania originally, and actually did a small college study on the Amish. Unless they're from very strict old-order, there is still the idea of Rumspringa, meaning they get to go run around and try life. And even if they leave, when they come back, they're not shunned, they're welcomed, forgiven, etc.

Good books to read on the subject: Amish Grace by Donald Kraybill.

Oh, and sorry to burst any HH fans bubble (the DH felt betrayed), but the whole thing is fake, fake, fake. The contestants don't even start filming until they are in escrow with the "chosen" house. The crew works with their agent and friends to find other houses to show, houses they never toured.

I can confirm this. One of the house hunters featured on the show was my daughter's soccer coach a few years back. Although she did look at one of the "runner up" houses before filming, the other house she'd never seen before and they were already in escrow.

If things fall through before closing, they must scrap the episode, because unlike the Canadian show Property Virgins, they never end on a down note. At least on PV, mortgages would fall through, or the owner wouldn't fix the problems found during the inspection, or the perspective buyer would just back out of everything and end up back in Mom's Mum's basement.

I guess the notion is that Americans must have everything tied up neatly in a little bow by the end of the show or they won't watch. But I think the perpetual - and implausible - happy endings are ridiculous and far less interesting than real life.

If things fall through before closing, they must scrap the episode, because unlike the Canadian show Property Virgins, they never end on a down note. At least on PV, mortgages would fall through, or the owner wouldn't fix the problems found during the inspection, or the perspective buyer would just back out of everything and end up back in Mom's Mum's basement.

I guess the notion is that Americans must have everything tied up neatly in a little bow by the end of the show or they won't watch. But I think the perpetual - and implausible - happy endings are ridiculous and far less interesting than real life.

I agree with the bolded. I loved watching Buy Me because the drama was more interesting to me than watching spoiled people complain about paint colors and finishes on HH.

I agree with the bolded. I loved watching Buy Me because the drama was more interesting to me than watching spoiled people complain about paint colors and finishes on HH.

If I hear one more person whine "But I really wanted granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances", I may pull an Elvis on my TV. Which I imagine would be less dramatic than during the picture tube days, but still.

Seriously, what is the big attraction of granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances? My parents put them in their remodeled kitchen in 1998. Shouldn’t they have gone the way of Formica and Harvest Gold by now?

The show is scripted and fake. A close personal friend goes to the same church Sabrina did and her parents still do. My kids went to the same Mennonite school she did for a number of years. Her story as presented is totally false, except the part about being adopted. She has not been "plain" Mennonite for at least 3 years.

The producer got SO MUCH wrong it's hard to know where to start. The clothes are wrong, the coverings are wrong (Sabrina never wore strings on her covering--why did the producers think she needed them now?), and as far as the things Sabrina says about the Mennonites...almost everything is false.

Oh good - could you answer something that's been bugging me? I'm on space-out-inducing meds right now otherwise would be ashamed to even act like I care :lol: but - why does Sabrina always where the same orange dress? I guess I am confused because if she were plain, isn't orange a hugely non-plain color? And also, if you only wear one dress, orange seems like something that wouldn't be the one to wear. The reason I noticed is because I wore peach/orange for like two years straight, but I'm not plain Mennonite :D

Oh good - could you answer something that's been bugging me? I'm on space-out-inducing meds right now otherwise would be ashamed to even act like I care :lol: but - why does Sabrina always where the same orange dress? I guess I am confused because if she were plain, isn't orange a hugely non-plain color? And also, if you only wear one dress, orange seems like something that wouldn't be the one to wear. The reason I noticed is because I wore peach/orange for like two years straight, but I'm not plain Mennonite :D

LOL, I don't know why she wears the same dress! I wondered too. I figured maybe because that's the only Mennonite dress she has anymore? Remember, she hasn't worn that type of dress for at least a few years.Maybe her mother made her a cape dress for the show, or she may have made it herself.

BTW, her dress looks typical of the group of Mennonites she comes from--that part they got right.

About the color, her group of Mennonites really have no restrictions on colors that I know of. They wear all colors. The more conservative groups, though, would stay away from very bright colors and true red.

Maybe she just likes orange. :)

Guest Anonymous
There are two facebook pages about that deal with the lies and inconsistencies in Breaking Amish...Breaking Amish the Truth and Breaking Amish Expose. There are lots of people posting there who personally know cast members and their families.

Can I get links for these Facebook pages?

LOL, I don't know why she wears the same dress! I wondered too. I figured maybe because that's the only Mennonite dress she has anymore? Remember, she hasn't worn that type of dress for at least a few years.Maybe her mother made her a cape dress for the show, or she may have made it herself.

BTW, her dress looks typical of the group of Mennonites she comes from--that part they got right.

About the color, her group of Mennonites really have no restrictions on colors that I know of. They wear all colors. The more conservative groups, though, would stay away from very bright colors and true red.

Maybe she just likes orange. :)

That may explain why she looks so uncomfortable in it. I thought it was because she just wanted to wear other clothes but they sure didn't make a beeline for new clothes once they got to NYC so that was confusing - although now of course it all makes sense, since apparently it's just pretty much a scripted show.

Orange is nice!!! It's so happy!

Articles are popping up about how fake this is

http://starcasm.net/archives/174744

Breaking Amish is a fun new TLC reality show (I saw fun because it has an unexpected and captivating Real Housewives-type drama brewing between the girls,) but there are murmurs online that the truth of the show doesn’t exactly line up with the reality television they’re presenting. This is par for the course, but in this case it’s a little more intriguing because these young people are supposed to be leaving their insulated Amish (and in one case, Menonite) communities and discovering the outside world for the first time.

The first indication that this may not necessarily be the case is pretty straight foreward on the show, Kate was busted for a DUI, so she obviously drives and drinks, unfortunately she did both at the same time.

But the curiosities go a little further with Jeremiah.

An ex-Amish blogger has outed Jeremiah Raber as having left the Amish communities many years ago, and claims that he is also divorced with three kids!

Click here to see a screenshot of Jeremiah’s cached 2007 MySpace page where he isn’t dressed in Amish clothes. Here’s another link to the cache itself, notice a child in the profile photo, and here are his photos.

Jeremiah married his ex-wife February 27, 2005, they had three kids, and she filed for divorce from him February 10, 2011.

The ex-Amish blogger says he met Jeremiah about five years ago, but a lot of commenters are claiming he left as long as 14 years ago.

There are also rumors that Abe and Rebecca, who are portraying an innocent flirtation on the show, have been together for a while, and have a kid together!

Here’s a comment left on a Breaking Amish photo on Yahoo!

'TLC… You failed at this one! Abe and Rebecca left the Amish community years ago and have a baby together. Jeremiah Raber is divorced with children and hasn’t been Amish for years. Not sure he ever was… As for him wanting to drive a car, lmao… He drives a truck!!! Sabrina Lavon High is married.'

Wow, this is so strange. Reality shows usually don’t go to these lengths to fake out the audience.

None of this answers the question of what happened to Rebecca’s teeth? Please comment if you know what happened to Rebecca’s teeth!

xamishatheist.com/2012/09/14/update-on-breaking-amish-the-scandal

This person also has a decent summary of how fake it is. One commenter is claiming the show was filmed years ago. Anyone still have the show on their DVR and can pause in the times square shot? That should show an idea of when it was filmed.

Abe and Rebecca and their supposed child:

abe-rebecca-child-2011.jpg

If anything, they look a little younger here than they do on the show. Maybe it's her bottom teeth that are missing, because only one or two uppers are missing here, and they appear to be her natural teeth.

Following the links, there's also a mugshot of Abe from 2008 for a second drunk and disorderly arrest. He is sporting a more Amish style haircut in it.

As for the DUI girl, seriously, are we supposed to suspend all disbelief and accept that she's a total novice in the English world? Take her out of the clothes and no one would even ever imagine she'd been Amish.

Archived