IGNORED

Mormonism in America

MandyLaLa

Guest Anonymous

Sadly *most* organized religions do not openly accept homosexuals. The only 2 protestant groups I can come up with are the Episcipalian (sp) and Unitarian (types)... I am no expert but the general view of the "major" religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) is not favorable on homosexuality. You can find churches that are more liberal in all of those. That being said, I doubt you can find a mainstream mormon church that is accepting, but you won't find a main stream baptist, catholic, CoC, CoG,methodist, islamic, etc church that is either... they may exist, but they aren't in-line with the mainstream doctorines (sp).

OK, so I'm petty. I don't think you're going to find an 'islamic' church.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reform Jews are very accepting of gay people. I am sure there are many Christian denominations that also are, because I was in Seattle during Pride Week and gobs of gorgeous old churches had rainbow banners.

I do work for several synagogues in my freelance graphic design business and every reform congregation not only welcomes gays but runs outreach programs as well. The assistant rabbi in one synagogue is a lesbian, her spouse--also a rabbi--teaches in both the preschool and religious school, and both frequently run programs to promote acceptance. Another synagogue has a very active Gay and Lesbian Inclusion Committee. There's also an organization called Big Tent Judaism whose mission is "to engage, support and advocate for all those who would cast their lot with the Jewish people." So while I certainly can't speak for other branches of Judaism or other faith, Reform Jews are very welcoming.

OK, so I'm petty. I don't think you're going to find an 'islamic' church.

I agree petty and probably not, but I think you knew what I meant...

One of the thinks about Mormonism that makes it less than respectable, IMHO, is the fluidity of their beliefs. Because they always have a "prophet" to re-interpret doctrine or get testimonies directly from SkyCaptain, they can remain palatable/profitable to a large & growing audience.

Ok see this I can get behind. It is as equally fucked up as a lot of things we discuss here. But sometimes I think others (not you FG) focus on the Mormon insanity while ignoring the insanity of lots of out mainstream faiths.

For myself, I'm interested in bringing the cult of Mormonism to light more at this present time because of the impact it could have on our country if Romney is elected. I just think it's vital that people realize how phony he and his church are. I realize I'm probably tilting at windmills, but I gotta follow my conscience. As a side note, I got reamed out on a feminist blog for bringing his religions into the commentary. I guess I just don't see how you can show what a poor candidate he is without that information.

I also have a personal stake in it, I admit. My sister's conversion was hard on our whole family.

Guest Anonymous

I agree petty and probably not, but I think you knew what I meant...

I wish there was a smiley face that adequately represents my disgust at your reaction to being confronted with your own ignorance and laziness.

This? :roll:

This one? :lol:

This? :?

Your strange mixture of condescension and (apparently) "missing the point" is just stunning to me.

Edited: Wording, of course.

I realize I'm probably tilting at windmills...

I originally read this as saying tithing at windmills, being that it's a thread about Mormonism and all. It seemed like a clever turn of phrase. But, apparently I simply can't read. :oops:

As a person who still goes to church, I have to admit there is something that doesn't sit right with me calling one religion over another a cult. You can list all the irrational claims in Mormonism, and we also listed Christianity. Does anyone want to try and explain Judaism, Islam and the Hindu pantheon from a completely rational perspective?

I can knock Romney down a few thousand pegs in any debate I have ever had about him with a supporter. Never does his religion even enter the calculus. Sorry, I have simply read too much creepy conspiracies around both Judaism and Islam based soley on their scriptures to think it's any better an idea with a Mormon.

Look at Kennedy. No matter how rational a Catholic he was, you could have definitely pointed out a lot of less than stellar behavior of the Vatican as an institution of the time to bash him with.

As a person who still goes to church, I have to admit there is something that doesn't sit right with me calling one religion over another a cult. You can list all the irrational claims in Mormonism, and we also listed Christianity. Does anyone want to try and explain Judaism, Islam and the Hindu pantheon from a completely rational perspective?

I can knock Romney down a few thousand pegs in any debate I have ever had about him with a supporter. Never does his religion even enter the calculus. Sorry, I have simply read too much creepy conspiracies around both Judaism and Islam based soley on their scriptures to think it's any better an idea with a Mormon.

Look at Kennedy. No matter how rational a Catholic he was, you could have definitely pointed out a lot of less than stellar behavior of the Vatican as an institution of the time to bash him with.

I think the church exerts a level of authority over members that bumps it into cult territory. The home visits, the daily attendance of classes by teens, the meetings in which you must prove you have given 10% of your income, etc.

Very cult-like.

I originally read this as saying tithing at windmills, being that it's a thread about Mormonism and all. It seemed like a clever turn of phrase. But, apparently I simply can't read. :oops:

I only wish I were that clever. :lol:

I think the church exerts a level of authority over members that bumps it into cult territory. The home visits, the daily attendance of classes by teens, the meetings in which you must prove you have given 10% of your income, etc.

Very cult-like.

This is what sets it apart for me too, EmmieDahl ... the corporate control.

One lesson from my father: never participate in any group that shows up uninvited on your doorstep and tries to control any aspect of your life.

I have a particular issue with Mormons and Scientology I'll admit. Maybe it's wrong, but they both seem to take particular advantage of gullible people especially financially.

One lesson from my father: never participate in any group that shows up uninvited on your doorstep and tries to control any aspect of your life.

I have a particular issue with Mormons and Scientology I'll admit. Maybe it's wrong, but they both seem to take particular advantage of gullible people especially financially.

Except Mormons aren't at all like $cientology really. Yes you have to tithe to be a member. But they will send you their book o' secrets for free.

Of course it helps that the copyright has expired.

:lol: :lol: Yes, their philosophies are different, but the expectation of financing the "church" one way or another is heavily there in both. I see other similarities in that they are both very easily debunked, they're difficult to leave for many people, etc.

Scientology is in a league of its own as a money scam. The 10% tithing is practiced by a lot of Protestant sects. Lots of churches use peer pressure to get their members to cough up their tithes, like an altar call for offerings etc. Granted I've yet to hear of any of them having an "accounting squad" to visit your house and take a look at your W-2 the way Mormons do... :?

Yeah, the book is free and is used as a ruse to get into your home. After all, the Mormons can't have you reading the Book of Mormon without having two missionaries there to help you interpret it correctly.

Yeah, the book is free and is used as a ruse to get into your home. After all, the Mormons can't have you reading the Book of Mormon without having two missionaries there to help you interpret it correctly.

Yeah I know that....but it does separate it from $cientology.

And at least where I grew up Jews had to buy tickets to services for major holidays.

You have to do that here too. You also have to pay to be a member of a synagogue which I'd like to do but I can't afford it. You have to be poorer than I am to get a free membership or assistance though.

Guest Anonymous

Where I am, you do need tickets but the tickets are free. You just need to apply for them, i.e. fire off a quick email to the admin department.

Scientology is in a league of its own as a money scam. The 10% tithing is practiced by a lot of Protestant sects. Lots of churches use peer pressure to get their members to cough up their tithes, like an altar call for offerings etc. Granted I've yet to hear of any of them having an "accounting squad" to visit your house and take a look at your W-2 the way Mormons do... :?

My childhood RCC church had home visits during 'pledge' month. Families discussed finances with the priest (who drove a big black Lincoln, lived in a huge house with a housekeeper and had no expenses). Family 'heads' interacted with the priest about the amount of the annual donation and were supposed to come to agreement.

My childhood RCC church had home visits during 'pledge' month. Families discussed finances with the priest (who drove a big black Lincoln, lived in a huge house with a housekeeper and had no expenses). Family 'heads' interacted with the priest about the amount of the annual donation and were supposed to come to agreement.

And lots other churches use prosperity theology or shame to get it happening.

Archived