IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP?): Erika Shupe pt. 10

December

4 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I've never heard of cream in it. When I make homemade guac, I use avocado, tomato, lime juice, cilantro, SEA salt and pepper (I'm not into spicy foods) but I probably go a little heavy on the cilantro. I love cilantro!

ETA: I'm from the US

I use avacado, chopped fresh tomato, crushed coriander, fresh lime juice, ground black pepper, sea salt, red onion, one small red chilli  and fresh chopped garlic.

No cream or olive oil. 

Everything is finely chopped then mashed together with a potato masher.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sour cream, mayo, oil, etc does not belong in guacamole. The store bought tubs are gross. 

Guacamole recipes are so easy: get an avocado or three or ten. Cut them in half, remove the pit, scoop the "meat" out into a bowl. Mash with a fork, add a lime (or three or ten) to prevent browning and give it that zing (You cut the lime in half and squeeze it over the avocado mash). Add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, and some cilantro (coriander). Chop up a jalapeno (use gloves and wash your hands after. Discard the seeds if you don't want the bitterness.) Add that. Serve with chips.

I find any time it says "guacamole dip", that's a hint they've put the dreaded sour cream in it. 

My daughter and I can eat two avocados worth at a time - I like to make it in small batches so it doesn't turn.  Avocado, sea salt lemon or lime juice, chili powder and shallots.  Done.

So Erika is still food stingy. While I like that she feeds her kids healthy food, I just don't think it's in any way enough. 

But I've always seen that the more one clamps down, the greater lengths one will go to for any food. I experienced this as a teenager, and then frantically ate all I could when I was out of the house or living on my own at first.

Now, my wife does most cooking and usually isn't stingy with food; I find when she's split leftovers into too many meal portions, eats something I was saving for myself, or is on a weight loss kick, or says in any context "don't eat the entire whatever," I get anxious that there isn't enough to eat, or someone will take my food. This makes me eat more and faster, and seek out other things to eat.

But, hearing or feeling that it doesn't matter and I can eat as much as I like actually makes me eat less. Because there will still be more later if I need it.

Again, Erika is going about food ALL wrong.

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Sour cream, mayo, oil, etc does not belong in guacamole. The store bought tubs are gross. 

Guacamole recipes are so easy: get an avocado or three or ten. Cut them in half, remove the pit, scoop the "meat" out into a bowl. Mash with a fork, add a lime (or three or ten) to prevent browning and give it that zing (You cut the lime in half and squeeze it over the avocado mash). Add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, and some cilantro (coriander). Chop up a jalapeno (use gloves and wash your hands after. Discard the seeds if you don't want the bitterness.) Add that. Serve with chips.

As a Hispanic I approve, it's the only way! Jalapeno is optional, but yes. My sisters ex once bought some guacamole seasoning pack and it went straight in the trash. Also love the "or three or ten" thing cause that's how it usually goes down. lol

18 hours ago, Jellybean said:

I use my brother's recipe - no idea where he got it, but it is just avocado, lime juice, red onion, red chilli, olive oil and coriander (cilantro). Not quite as easy as Erika's version, but pretty close, especially as we keep coriander in the freezer all chopped and ready to go - no defrosting required.

@Jellybean do you put your coriander in anything or do you just freeze it as is?

I tried to freeze mint and the leaves crumbled. Though I go through a lot more coriander than mint.

21 minutes ago, Thunder said:

As a Hispanic I approve, it's the only way! Jalapeno is optional, but yes. My sisters ex once bought some guacamole seasoning pack and it went straight in the trash. Also love the "or three or ten" thing cause that's how it usually goes down. lol

Jalapeno is optional but not in my house, lol. Of course I make a separate batch if my friend who think bell pepper is too spicy comes over for eating. 

I have a capsaicin intolerance, so jalapeños are out for me (as is almost every other spicy food on the planet, unfortunately). I make my guacamole with avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, onion, and lime juice with a little sea salt. Most store brands have jalapeños in their recipes so I rarely eat any guacamole that isn't homemade. Even at restaurants or potlucks, someone else always has to test the guacamole before I touch it (yes, I know it's sad and inconvenient). 

I don't bother making guac...I head over to Roberto's Taco Shop and buy a container full of it. Don't know what's in it, don't really care...that is the good shit...carne asada chimi slathered in cheese, sour cream and guac...Oh God...I'm having tonguegasms just thinking about it. I think I need to hit Roberto's tomorrow...yeah...and maybe some carne asada fries...with queso blanco, pico, sour cream, guac, more pico, more guac, more queso blanco...

Can you tell I'm hungry????

13 hours ago, keen23 said:

You need to find yourself a Hispanic market. The avocados (and produce and meat) are cheaper than at regular grocery stores. Food City is our local chain. And guac does NOT have sour cream in it. When I make it, I generally cheat and use premade, fresh pico de gallo (because I don't have time for onion chopping nonsense), avocados, lime, salt, vinegar and cilantro.  There's a tomatillo version too, that my husband makes that's fantastic.

Unfortunately I am not American and there are no ethnic stores that carry avocados at a lower price than supermarkets here but I love the general suggestion, I have bought for example teff flour for a fraction of the price in a store that cater to North Africans and Middle Eastern customer mainly. Bulghur wheat is also cheap at that store and very high quality too. The owner of the store has started to recognize us now and we feel we are part of the "in crowd" there now since they know we buy stuff and we are not just curious and walking around in there just looking at "weird food".

My SIL had an interesting experience in an Ethnic store mostly for Thai food. She had been taught a recipe by a Thai friend and  needed some special ingredients and came into that store to buy them. She had been there before and the other person working there had no problem with her and had been very helpful so she assumed the other clerk there would be too. Not so much. She got told off that "people like her" ie people who are not Thai cannot make that dish and they refused to sell her the stuff because "she would just make a mess with it". Her Thai friend went back with her and told them off and told them to not only sell her whatever she wanted but that they should treat her like a queen from now on. It worked. It was a little weird that in a small town like the one my SIL lives in that someone would ever want to exclude a customer from buying that was not rude or anything since the Thai community only in that town would simply not be enough customers for a profitable business so any new customer should be welcome.

I did this one time.  Easy to grow, just choose a pit from an avocado that tastes good.  I didn't get any fruit because I set the tree on a table on the deck to get sun and either the wind or a cat knocked it over and the stem broke.  But with care you can grow your own avocados.  

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/avocado/indoor-avocado-plant-care.htm

On 4/19/2017 at 8:27 AM, ChunkyBarbie said:

I can't stand food stingy people, I have an aunt who is food stingy and the food police. Not surprisingly, she is a control freak bitch.  Both of her girls developed eating disorders and her sons bailed on her in elementary school to go live with their dad. 

Yeah, I understand things like avocados can get pricey (though getting them in bulk at a warehouse store would be economical for a large family). But surely there has to be some healthy snack that kids could enjoy in larger portions that wouldn't break the bank. I've seen people develop similar dietary issues, too, when their parents didn't let them have any choice over their food/portions. 

Also, now I need to go make some guacamole stat. 

Well, for healthy snacks that are pretty chap to make, hummus is the way forward, especially if you buy the chickpeas dried in bulk, and rehydrate them. 

On 4/19/2017 at 1:46 PM, lawlifelgbt said:

So Erika is still food stingy. While I like that she feeds her kids healthy food, I just don't think it's in any way enough. 

But I've always seen that the more one clamps down, the greater lengths one will go to for any food. I experienced this as a teenager, and then frantically ate all I could when I was out of the house or living on my own at first.

Now, my wife does most cooking and usually isn't stingy with food; I find when she's split leftovers into too many meal portions, eats something I was saving for myself, or is on a weight loss kick, or says in any context "don't eat the entire whatever," I get anxious that there isn't enough to eat, or someone will take my food. This makes me eat more and faster, and seek out other things to eat.

But, hearing or feeling that it doesn't matter and I can eat as much as I like actually makes me eat less. Because there will still be more later if I need it.

Again, Erika is going about food ALL wrong.

Yes! This is me exactly! My mother actually kept the food under lock and key. Both the pantry and deep freezer. I understand her reasoning, there were a lot of kids and not a lot of food but it lead to weirdness around food. 

Even when I'm on my own weightloss kick, if my husband says anything along the lines of questioning "If" our "should" I eat something I get hostile and want to deliberately eat it ALL. 

It's like when I see banner ads that say "Never eat these 5 foods," my gut instinct is to stock up on those 5 foods on my next grocery run.  WAY up.

I feel like I developed some unhealthy food habits when my older brother hit puberty/had growth spurts and ate all food insight. I get that sounds silly, but my mom would go grocery shopping on a Monday and by Tuesday most everything I'd want as a snack was just gone, poof! I think now I get a little territorial with food, because I'm afraid if I don't eat it right away it'll be gone (I know it's silly. You can always get more at the shop!). I think I also over indulge with snacking for the same reasons. I wish I was better with self control :(

One of my friends grew up in a large-ish family, five kids. Her mom kept the food under lock and key, both for financial and controlling bitch reasons. The parents had snacks of soda, chips, snack cakes etc., while the kids were allowed one glass of milk after school. That was it. Mommie Dearest also was notorious for sending them to school with little to no lunch once they reached Jr. High and lunches weren't monitored.  No one escaped that house normal.  It is very sad. 

I grew up in a big family and there was nothing that was locked up but mom definitely hid food she didn't want us to eat. Canned peaches and pineapple, cooking chocolate, cookies, candy and other sweet stuff mostly but we knew where she usually hid it so if we were "naughty" we ate it anyway. She usually didn't do much more than ask us to go out and buy more once we were old enough and if she got really mad we had to use our own money to replace it. If she was going to cook something special she usually told us that we were not allowed to east certain things which is reasonable in a family, but otherwise we were allowed to have a snack or even bake things once we were old enough to use the stove. We learned what was reasonable to eat and not make all the rest of the family be without dinner. 

So, I was recently thinking on why Erika stopped sharing schedules after she put the younger ones in public school. The theory I've seen a lot of as to "why school?" is that she couldn't hack it, and possibly mental illness.

What if she didn't give out her schedule initially after putting the kids in school, because by scheduling everything she would have to admit doctor/counseling appointments? She may even have undergone a partial hospitalization or intensive outpatient, which is about 6 hours a day or so, I think. So she could still get off/out in time to take and pick up kids from school.

• 4 weeks later...

So has FLOP flopped? Doesn't look like she blogs a lot. Is she keeping the FB page going with info about her life? 

Holy crap, she just posted two videos of the kids, all wearing shorts or pants dancing before school. As a sidenote her voice is really strange, absolutely not what I was expecting out of Erika!

43 minutes ago, themothership said:

Holy crap, she just posted two videos of the kids, all wearing shorts or pants dancing before school. As a sidenote her voice is really strange, absolutely not what I was expecting out of Erika!

I've never heard her speak, so I am suddenly hopeful she sounds just like Possessed!Reagan from the Exorcist.

36 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

So has FLOP flopped? Doesn't look like she blogs a lot.

She wasn't writing much on the old blog before the switch, either, and there were a lot of reposts. 

1 hour ago, December said:

She wasn't writing much on the old blog before the switch, either, and there were a lot of reposts. 

True. But why start a new blog if you're not gonna post on it?

3 minutes ago, JillyO said:

True. But why start a new blog if you're not gonna post on it?

To hide all the anti-public school, no shorts posts since their practices have changed (even if she wants to say the beliefs are the same).

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived