IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should a Catholic woman vacuum? Isn't using machinery a bit unfeminine? It's noisy, and involves subduing and dominating dust with an apparatus that has vaguely phallic parts.

Nowhere in the Bible does any woman vacuum.

17 hours ago, Kate11 said:

Does she know that men have worn shoes with heels for a few hundred years?! Some of the first men who wore heels wore them to keep their feet from coming out of the stirrups when riding horses! So elegant and extremely civilized!

I thought butchers were the first to wear them, in order to keep from standing in the blood on the floor. So very feminine! 

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Nowhere in the Bible does any woman vacuum.

That's a brilliant observation.  If you ever start a religion I'll follow you.  The holy church of the non-vacuuming.

6 hours ago, JillyO said:

Me too, me too! I get married on Friday in 3.5-inch heels, and I dgaf if I'll be taller than most men at my wedding! :)  High five, fellow tall FJer!

#notallnonswimmingcatholics

Yes! I have you on my mental list of awesome tall FJers! High (HIGH) five! And congrats on your wedding. Rock those heels! 

21 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This post caught my eye and now I have to read back and find out what kind of crazy people vacuum in shoes.  

I totally should not admit this, but, as a small child, with the terrifying 2 piece 70's vacuum my parents had, my (tiny--like my kid, I was small for my age) foot got stuck in the vacuum, and it tried to suck it up and I screamed and panicked and it was kinda black and blue and hurt like hell.

HOuse rules then stated you had to vacuum in shoes.  I still can't bear to vacuum without shoes on.  (I bet I could do it in heels and look awesome.  I vacuum so little that I"m reasonably sure that the Mr. would find anything I wore while vacuuming lovely :-P )

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That's a brilliant observation.  If you ever start a religion I'll follow you.  The holy church of the non-vacuuming.

I'm in!!   :my_angel:

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Can we also be non-dishwashing and non-laundry washing? With holy accolytes to do those things instead of us? :my_biggrin:

17 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Can we also be non-dishwashing and non-laundry washing? With holy accolytes to do those things instead of us? :my_biggrin:

Yes! All of that is an abhorrence in the sight of...wait, who is the big cheese we are worshipping in this new religion?

Nevermind--we also don't do windows! :my_smile:

34 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

Yes! All of that is an abhorrence in the sight of...wait, who is the big cheese we are worshipping in this new religion?

Nevermind--we also don't do windows! :my_smile:

No bathrooms either!   

7 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

No bathrooms either!   

Now wait--I have to do my bathrooms. Don't want to start living like the Nauglers! :my_sick:

Oh, wait, someone mentioned holy acolytes. Problem solved.:my_angel:

@Loveday  I HATE dirty bathrooms too and have to clean them too, but I would never turn down a holy acolyte with a toilet  brush.

15 hours ago, JillyO said:

Me too, me too! I get married on Friday in 3.5-inch heels, and I dgaf if I'll be taller than most men at my wedding! :)  High five, fellow tall FJer!

#notallnonswimmingcatholics

I'm 6' 3" #tallgirllife

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Now wait--I have to do my bathrooms. Don't want to start living like the Nauglers! :my_sick:

Oh, wait, someone mentioned holy acolytes. Problem solved.:my_angel:

You beat me to it - I'm with you...if I don't do bathrooms my whole family will have cholera.

12 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Wish I'd seen this post a few hours earlier! I would've joined. Just deep cleaned my whole place and now my back's aching. 

Can't stand the sort of cherrypicking as to what is feminine, and deciding some things are needed to be a Biblical woman despite those things being totally out of place in anything but the last century. There's no such thing as timeless fashion... You're still emulating the trend of some era. But I guess it's more fun to come up with arbitrary lady rules to judge others by. 

Slightly OT since we haven't talked about the modest mom blog during the last few pages of this thread ;-) ;-) ;-) but in Caroline's (that's her name, isn't  it??) blog post she explains how immodest maxi skirts can be. If you wear them the wrong way they cause just as much ungodly attention to your butt like miniskirts or jeans do. I must have been wearing maxi skirts wrong all my life. I always look like a frumpy baptist girl. I would have loved some attention to my bottom.

I think the issue has been misunderstood.

If a woman bares her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to emphasize her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to hide her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body (what is she hiding under that thing?!?)

A butt is immodest. If a woman has one, she must repent.

17 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

If a woman bares her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to emphasize her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to hide her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body (what is she hiding under that thing?!?)

For only the buttless shall enter the kingdom of Heaven...

I have only once in my life seen a maxi skirt that could be considered immodest - in an Ikea, on a young Muslim woman.  There's a high population of Muslims here and most of the younger women cover their heads but also wear western clothing, usually stylish jeans and boots.  This girl was wearing a head covering, a high necked sweater, one of those wide belts and a maxi-skirt...everything just *clung* to her, and she was also one of the few people I've ever seen actually *sashaying*.  She was just stunning.  Made my day.  And yet, despite her clothing, and my love for girls, I did not picture her naked or fantasize about her or make rude judgements about her character.  I have also never once pictured someone in a swimsuit after they mention swimming or going to the beach and would be concerned if I started to, not because they were being immodest but because I'd be concerned about my brain.  

Going to go vacuum now, barefoot, like a man.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Perhaps a simple frame-like apparatus resting on the shoulders would allow fabric to be draped around a woman's body without actually touching it, so as to avoid any possible clinging? Or a big cardboard box with holes for the head, arms and legs? Just don't forget the heels and lipstick!

Bonus: frolicking in a box and heels is very, very difficult.

image.jpg

Erika Shupe mentioned once how she didn't usually wear heels (or, as she called them, 'heals') because they're not very practical, especially if you're carrying a toddler/baby and going downstairs. I hate heels. I'm not tall, they're just painful. There was a whole thing in Britain recently about a woman who was dismissed from her job for not wearing heels, and she started a petition against being forced to wear them at work.

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

Slightly OT since we haven't talked about the modest mom blog during the last few pages of this thread ;-) ;-) ;-) but in Caroline's (that's her name, isn't  it??) blog post she explains how immodest maxi skirts can be. If you wear them the wrong way they cause just as much ungodly attention to your butt like miniskirts or jeans do. I must have been wearing maxi skirts wrong all my life. I always look like a frumpy baptist girl. I would have loved some attention to my bottom.

Oh jeez, you can't win for losing.

Maybe "naked and unashamed" is the way to go.

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

You're right, I've never looked at it that way before.

Thanks for getting the bottom of the source of sin. ;) 

4 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

For only the buttless shall enter the kingdom of Heaven...

I have only once in my life seen a maxi skirt that could be considered immodest - in an Ikea, on a young Muslim woman.  There's a high population of Muslims here and most of the younger women cover their heads but also wear western clothing, usually stylish jeans and boots.  This girl was wearing a head covering, a high necked sweater, one of those wide belts and a maxi-skirt...everything just *clung* to her, and she was also one of the few people I've ever seen actually *sashaying*.  She was just stunning.  Made my day.  And yet, despite her clothing, and my love for girls, I did not picture her naked or fantasize about her or make rude judgements about her character.  I have also never once pictured someone in a swimsuit after they mention swimming or going to the beach and would be concerned if I started to, not because they were being immodest but because I'd be concerned about my brain.  

Going to go vacuum now, barefoot, like a man.

When I was in Egypt the young women there wore long skirts with fishtail hems that dragged behind them. They would sashay so that the hem flicked back and forth as they walked. It was ridiculously sexy. 

Skimming the catholic lady blog. There's a whole post about how the Girl Scouts are liberal and pro abortion etc. Fuck's sake. Some commenter was praying that her future husband wouldn't make their potential daughters go to Girl Scouts. 

My best friend from school is Catholic. She dresses casually a lot of the time and wears jeans, trousers etc (although I've learnt a lot of American slang through FJ pants will always be underwear to me). I had no idea that being Catholic meant you dressed smartly all the time.

ETA: Oh my God. Just found the most horrific paragraph ever. See if you can guess which it is. http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/on-stading-out-like-sore-thumb.html?m=1

I am afraid I carelessly abused my femininity by vacuuming in sock feet this morning.  :5624798d10d1f_nayIsayno:  What can I do to repair it?

Archived