IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

There is only ONE utterly batshit Caroline allowed in this world and I AM SHE!!!

The Catholic thing...I knew some like that once upon a time during my brief flirtation with uber-Traditional Catholicism. It didn't last long, it ended about the same time the marriage did.

Now I'm a semi-heathen liberal Christian who's serious about faith but utterly opposed to bullshit rules.

THIS!! You speak right from my soul. I can't stand all these rules and sometimes I get the feeling that most fundies don't really read the gospel and what is said there. A majority of them has a bible boner for Paul and all the rules he put into his letters.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

@laPapessaGiovanna I agree. I feel like she just uses being Catholic to uphold her extremely superficial beliefs about modesty and whatever else she decides to care about.

Yep. I definitely get the feeling she cares much more about her modern June Cleaver aesthetic than she does the actual tenets of Catholicism.

It's kind of absurd to think God would be like "eh whatevs about you trying to be a nice person and being kind to others, you once wore a mini skirt!!"

I am admittedly a wildly liberal Christian but my own understanding of modesty is that it's a quality of the soul.. it strikes me that such fixation on the letter of the rules instead of the spirit is a strange type of vanity.

12 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

The Catholic Lady is too Catholic even for the Vatican.  This gem from her blog.  

"Catholic NFP" is another attack on the dignity of Christian motherhood.  This drastically overused method of avoiding pregnancy has infiltrated Catholic families like a plague."  

NFP is ok'ed by the Catholic Church.  The Catholic hospital that I worked at many years ago actually had workshops teaching how NFP worked. 

I've heard that there are those in the traditionalist Catholic movement who believe NFP can be used for the wrong reasons(i.e., to prevent pregnancies altogether rather than space them out).

Inspired by the latest Staddon thread, I Googled "courtship questionnaire" and came across a Catholic wife who is on medication that can cause birth defects, and although she and her husband practice NFP, she asks if they can back it up with condoms.

Of course not. 

:pb_rollseyes:

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Yep. I definitely get the feeling she cares much more about her modern June Cleaver aesthetic than she does the actual tenets of Catholicism.

Honestly if she didn't declare her supposed Catholicism in her blog's heading I would have had a hard time distinguishing her from the other fundies obsessed with the fifties (or better an hypothetical time in the past when everything was fine and dandy, in spite of history of course), homeschooling, quiverfull and patriarchy upholding sahm. You need to read a good number of posts before stumbling on a sentence that qualifies her statement of faith. And then you find a post where she bashes NFP as of the devil. Catholic Church has never been contrary to birth control through abstinence, it just opposes all the more efficient forms of bc because heaven forbids people enjoy the sex freely without worrying about unwanted pregnancies, sex being a way for God to saddle you with some more "blessings" and you can't say no to God's plan! Her "reasoning" is, imho, more typical of the quiverfull movement than of Catholic fundieism.

57 minutes ago, BlessedMajorNeglect said:

I am admittedly a wildly liberal Christian but my own understanding of modesty is that it's a quality of the soul.. it strikes me that such fixation on the letter of the rules instead of the spirit is a strange type of vanity.

I still struggle to understand how posting endless pics of yourself to show the world how you are dressed and how your clothing make you so much more feminine and holier than anyone else should be considered a modest behaviour. Maybe it's because I am an ebil pants wearing heathen that I can't see any difference in attitude between this

20160327_183755%25280%2529.jpg

and this

14.jpg

and it wouldn't be a problem if she weren't threatening every woman who doesn't espouse her narrow beliefs with eternal damnation because THEY are immodest.

I'm screwed then...I'm wearing a VERY comfortable pair of cotton pants that are almost like pajama or yoga pants (but a little dressier), a sleeveless top that sorta shows my black bra under it and flip flops...but then again, it's like 110 degrees today...and I'm at that evil place called work.

8 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

@laPapessaGiovanna I agree. I feel like she just uses being Catholic to uphold her extremely superficial beliefs about modesty and whatever else she decides to care about.

It's like Lori the Godly Mentor and "Christianity."

On 6/8/2016 at 5:17 PM, refugee said:

Well, unless he's a Mormon (and I could be wrong about Mormons, not being one), his belief is unbiblical. Jesus himself said there is no marriage in heaven.

I knew a teen who wrote fanfic -- his favorite scene to write was two females fighting over a male...

I'm Mormon and we have "sealings" that are performed in the temple, which seals husband and wife (and children) for eternity. Both parties have to be a member and able to get into the temple. to be sealed. My husband is not a member so we're married "for time", meaning during this life. Sealings can be cancelled if requested, I don't know what is required to have a sealing cancelled. I've heard of people doing it because they wanted to be sealed to their new partner but there could be more to it than that.

On 6/7/2016 at 0:13 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

ETA after the divorce my ex went fundy-lite (some flavor) and has repeatedly reminded me that because I was the one who left him he was free to remarry but my entire second marriage is adultery because in the eyes of God I'm still married to him.  And when we die he's convinced we'll be married again in Heaven.  To each other.

I thought Heaven was supposed to be everlasting happiness?  No pain?  No anger?  No suffering?  Well which is it?  Because if his whackado idea is correct I'm in for a eternal life of wishing I'd developed a taste for brimstone...because if Heaven is peaceful now it won't be once we get back together.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. The only time that the Bible deems remarriage as being acceptable is in the event of someone dying. So, unless your ex is secretly plotting your untimely demise, he's living in just as much sin as you are (if you read the Bible that way). 

20 minutes ago, JesusCampSongs said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. The only time that the Bible deems remarriage as being acceptable is in the event of someone dying. So, unless your ex is secretly plotting your untimely demise, he's living in just as much sin as you are (if you read the Bible that way). 

I know nothing about the bible, but even I knew he was making that up.  He's never been one to let the facts get in the way of what he wants to be true.

If he'd found a woman like Teri Maxwell he'd be Stevehova 2.0...and darkness would descend upon us all. :) 

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I know nothing about the bible, but even I knew he was making that up.  He's never been one to let the facts get in the way of what he wants to be true.

If he'd found a woman like Teri Maxwell he'd be Stevehova 2.0...and darkness would descend upon us all. :) 

@HerNameIsBuffyI just have to tell you, every time I see your name and icon, I think of a young Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (I'm thinking the Buffy pic is from an old sitcom, though, isn't it? Family Affair or something like that?)

10 minutes ago, refugee said:

@HerNameIsBuffyI just have to tell you, every time I see your name and icon, I think of a young Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (I'm thinking the Buffy pic is from an old sitcom, though, isn't it? Family Affair or something like that?)

@HerNameIsBuffy explained her avatar beautifully in this thread:

(I'm sorry, but I can't link to a specific post, only a page. Buffy's post is about 5 up from the bottom.) 

Buffy did use a vampire slayer avatar for a little while, but it was nice when she switched back. It meant things were back to more or less normal. :my_biggrin:

22 hours ago, ophelia said:

THIS!! You speak right from my soul. I can't stand all these rules and sometimes I get the feeling that most fundies don't really read the gospel and what is said there. A majority of them has a bible boner for Paul and all the rules he put into his letters.

Ugh, Paul went to a lot of trouble explaining how grace works, and the danger of thinking righteousness can come from following rules, but nooooooo, people go and ignore all that... :(

3 hours ago, refugee said:

Yep, it's a paraphrase from a quote of hers episode 1 of family affair.   she was s tiny little badass.  

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@HerNameIsBuffy explained her avatar beautifully in this thread:

(I'm sorry, but I can't link to a specific post, only a page. Buffy's post is about 5 up from the bottom.) 

Buffy did use a vampire slayer avatar for a little while, but it was nice when she switched back. It meant things were back to more or less normal. :my_biggrin:

Thanks!  I used to have that in my profile 'about me' but when I went to look just scared the crap out of myself.  Didn't rememeber changing that till it woke me up.

i typically go slayer when I feel I need defensive weapons around here...metaphorically of course.  Only because family affair provided me so few photos of Anissa Jones heavily armed.

On June 9, 2016 at 2:59 AM, sophie10130 said:

Agreed she is a fashion/lifestyle blog under the guise of Catholicism.  This gem From the Catholic Lady "There's no time like Summer to flaunt promiscuity, or so secular society likes to make us think."  Yup summer is here- all the harlots are coming out.  I'm wearing a tank and shorts while reading FJ this morning, it's already a toasty 84 in my house.  

Agreed she is a fashion/lifestyle blog under the guise of Catholicism.  This gem From the Catholic Lady "There's no time like Summer to flaunt promiscuity, or so secular society likes to make us think."  Yup summer is here- all the harlots are coming out.  I'm wearing a tank and shorts while reading FJ this morning, it's already a toasty 84 in my house.  

If she thinks i wear shorts and tanks to be immodest, she is dead wrong - it's practical when it is 90 degrees outside!

C'mon, you all know we would be much cooler and sweat less from fear of our eternal damnation if we were covered neck to elbows to knees.  Ladies always used to be properly covered!  They would never wear just underwear and slips, or take off their nylons at home.  We need to acknowledge that we're doing it to show off or bodies and lead the godly Catholics, ATI'ers, etc off the path of righteousness at the behest of Satan.

I was checking out book giveaways on Goodreads, and came across Meant to Be Modest by Nicole Crone. This eventually led me to her blog, childrenareablessing.org, which has some really great advice about how you have to be happy all the time and if you ever want a break from your children you're a horrible person. Not sure if she's been mentioned before (I did a quick search and didn't see anything), but she seems pretty batshit. She also writes Christian romance novels.

3 minutes ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

Reading these blogs makes me really glad to be Lutheran...:beer:

Hey, I'm Catholic. Like a going to mass every week teaching confirmation class Catholic.  It's hot here and it's date night, so I am planning to wear a short sundress tonight that would give the Catholic Lady a case of the vapors. 

Also, as to finding crazy Lutheran modesty blog...Challenge Accepted!! 

40 minutes ago, General Jinjur said:

I was checking out book giveaways on Goodreads, and came across Meant to Be Modest by Nicole Crone. This eventually led me to her blog, childrenareablessing.org, which has some really great advice about how you have to be happy all the time and if you ever want a break from your children you're a horrible person. Not sure if she's been mentioned before (I did a quick search and didn't see anything), but she seems pretty batshit. She also writes Christian romance novels.

Yeah. *sigh* Sounds all too familiar.

There's always hope that she'll find out there's a great, big, wide, wonderful world out there. Or maybe her children will.

The author of children are a blessing apparently didn't talk to her publisher about that cover photo for her new book, that dress looks strapless and low-backed to me which is definitely against her modesty standards. 

She goes on in one post about not being too flashy, not wearing bright and/or mismatched prints, because that's immodest too. High heels are immodest.  Her boys though just have to wear a t-shirt while swimming and that's modest enough. 

My eyes have rolled so far back in my head that I can see my brain. 

So this is entirely too easy...

Lutherans on Modesty: 

This man uses the old chestnut that the verse about men not looking at a woman with lust or he has committed adultery with her in his heart means the woman is responsible because of the preposition "with":

http://www.lutheranlayman.com/2013/06/a-christian-man-whos-missing-modesty.html

This one includes a very odd translation from Timothy, not sure her source for that. Googled the verse and didn't find that translation. Not saying it doesn't exist, just that it is not a common one: 

http://www.lutheransforlife.org/article/modesty-in-dress-and-behavior/

And this site apparently educates women on all things Titus 2 including modesty (wouldn't Lori be happy!). It does not say it is specifically Lutheran, but does recommend a Lutheran Study Bible: 

http://titus2-4life.org/so-now-what/

There are more. There were also some good articles in which Lutherans deconstruct the modesty teachings and explain that the word in scripture is not about (or not only about) clothing and skin. 

My point is not to dis Lutherans (I actually attended Lutheran churches at various points in my life prior to converting to Catholicism). It has been my experience that this purity/modesty culture has invaded many Christian denominations even if it is not the denomination's viewpoint as a whole. I attribute some of this to the vast marketing of evangelical sub-culture. I have friends and family who are members of fairly liberal denominations like the ELCA or the United Methodist Church who have, nonetheless, absorbed this stuff as well as questionable theology (that does not match up to their church's teachings) from Christian radio, music/musicians, publishing, etc...

52 minutes ago, mallallory said:

The author of children are a blessing apparently didn't talk to her publisher about that cover photo for her new book, that dress looks strapless and low-backed to me which is definitely against her modesty standards

She goes on in one post about not being too flashy, not wearing bright and/or mismatched prints, because that's immodest too. High heels are immodest.  Her boys though just have to wear a t-shirt while swimming and that's modest enough. 

My eyes have rolled so far back in my head that I can see my brain. 

Right? Those shoulders are seriously defrauding.

To me, posting pictures of your outfits on the internet and talking about how great they are is the opposite of modesty. I don't have a problem with it, because for me modesty is far from the be-all and end-all, but... it just isn't modest because it draws attention to her appearance to gain praise and approval. True modesty isn't quite so self-congratulatory.

Archived