IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

Good grief, with the way she writes, I thought she was at least sixty.  Such a pearl clutcher!  But she got married at eighteen, and the oldest of her (four) kids is four, so... 23?  Is she another Courtney?  And I'm really surprised she didn't post something about the Pope's visit last year.  She's in Pittsburgh, and it's a quick hop onto I-76 to Philly.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Good grief, with the way she writes, I thought she was at least sixty.  Such a pearl clutcher!  But she got married at eighteen, and the oldest of her (four) kids is four, so... 23?  Is she another Courtney?  And I'm really surprised she didn't post something about the Pope's visit last year.  She's in Pittsburgh, and it's a quick hop onto I-76 to Philly.

Her oldest is 10/11. At one time I knew how old she was, it was near my age. So I think between 27-30. 

2 hours ago, Shiny said:

Her oldest is 10/11. At one time I knew how old she was, it was near my age. So I think between 27-30. 

Her kids are way younger than 10/11.  Here they are last Easter: http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/happy-easter.html

And here's their ages (though I don't know when she wrote the "about me" section):  http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/p/about.html

Good God that Catholic Lady blog looks dull. Endless "Feminine Weekend" posts with occasional opinion posts.

Snore. 

Man they really stress the whole Feminine thing

Is there an emoji that is dying of boredom or someone screaming "Who cares???" 

Because that's how I feel right now.

I'm not sure why upholding super strict feminine/masculine ideals is now the forefront of these people's minds. Who gives a shit? And swimming is now a solely masculine hobby? That's new.

2 hours ago, JMarie said:

Her kids are way younger than 10/11.  Here they are last Easter: http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/happy-easter.html

And here's their ages (though I don't know when she wrote the "about me" section):  http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/p/about.html

You guys are talking about different people. You are talking about The Catholic Lady and @Shiny is talking about Modest Mom (who this thread is originally about).

13 hours ago, Petrel said:

I think my daughter should definitely see me frolicking.  I make a point to frolic with her daily.

I was thinking the same thing. My mother was not given to frolicking, but I am made of much sillier stuff and love dancing around like a fool to make my toddler laugh. The Catholic Lady must be a real trip to be around. :my_rolleyes:

Also, I am pretty sure no one of sound mind would picture my chunky, pale, 38-year-old body in a bikini if I mentioned I went to the beach or pool. 

So I'm a woman who loves the outdoors and is active - am I gender confused? Wth? Talk about black and white thinking.

And agreed with the exception of the uber wealthy most women in history worked in the home and in the fields. My great grandmothers on my mom's side were farm wives and sharecroppers wives. When it came to planting and harvesting you better believe they were out in the fields as well.

I'm always stunned at how ill informed these fundie anti-feminists are about how most women lived even in their grandma's lifetimes.

This little gem from The Catholic Lady Blog:  "  The apostolate of the Catholic lady is more important than ever.  We must work to enrich society with pearls and swishing skirts, tea parties, and every unique and beautiful custom."

This former Catholic is going to put on her ugly clothing and go to the gym to lift heavy weights and then go to Target to buy groceries.

Ideally she should not have to do outdoor work or activities outside the home that might brutalize or erode her femininity.

Her femininity is so fragile...

I think I'm now obsessed with this woman...

6 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

So I'm a woman who loves the outdoors and is active - am I gender confused? Wth? Talk about black and white thinking.

And agreed with the exception of the uber wealthy most women in history worked in the home and in the fields. My great grandmothers on my mom's side were farm wives and sharecroppers wives. When it came to planting and harvesting you better believe they were out in the fields as well.

I'm always stunned at how ill informed these fundie anti-feminists are about how most women lived even in their grandma's lifetimes.

I guess I must be gender confused as well, since I love the outdoors, especially camping and I'm pretty active. All I know is that my Irish Catholic great great grandma was a rancher's wife, so there were times when she was helping with the ranch itself, outside of the house.

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I think I'm now obsessed with this woman...

I had a small obsession with her a few years ago.  I read up as much as I could, as I wasn't on FJ at the time and she just sounded crazy to me (sadly, now I've seen many who are far crazier, thanks to FJ).  But it's also a very self-limited style that she has; it all seems internally imposed in a way that is distressing.  She's clearly a capable woman (even if limited by homeschooling and whatnot), but prefers to lock herself away and spend all her time on "modesty," as if it were the most important thing in the world.  Something about her potential and her sad-looking wedding (to me, at least -- she seemed happy with it), her gaggles of babies (the eldest is now 12, I think), perhaps some health problems (I last followed her when she was at 4 babies, so I could be mixing her up with someone else), her mom's early passing, and their poverty as her husband went through school...it all added up to sad for me.  She's not as hateful as others, but she seems to have just decided to shut herself up in the home as a Tits2* woman, and that's it! The waste of potential depressed me.

*Tits2=intentional ;)

1 hour ago, refugee said:

Adrenal fatigue seems to be very popular these days in the alternative medicine area.

I bet it can be cured with essential oils--and not just ANY oils, *MLM* essential oils!

Man oh man. Which rabbit hole to explore first: Catholic lady or modest mom?!

Quote:   bet it can be cured with essential oils--and not just ANY oils, *MLM* essential oils!

The Modest Catholic had a post up about some essential oils being tied to the occult.  The Modest Mom and the crazy Catholic lady are my two new rabbit holes.  

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, 19 cats and counting said:
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:34 AM, JillyO said:

You guys are talking about different people. You are talking about The Catholic Lady and @Shiny is talking about Modest Mom (who this thread is originally about).

She is as fundie as they come.  She courted, not dated her husband, married at 19 and saved her first kiss for the wedding. 

She refused to use terms like boyfriend before they were married.  

I will admit to wanting one of those.  (I use those bandeau bra type tops for layering).  I lost a lot of weight and of corse my boobs were the first to go.  A lot of dresses that once fit me are very lose at the top.  This could help in that situation.  (I've considered forever 21 crop tops too).

Sorry, I get so excited when there's a new fundie blog to discuss.  Especially if it's a younger fundie.  I feel so bad for them, because they've got so much potential that they choose not to use.

4 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Quote:   bet it can be cured with essential oils--and not just ANY oils, *MLM* essential oils!

The Modest Catholic had a post up about some essential oils being tied to the occult.  The Modest Mom and the crazy Catholic lady are my two new rabbit holes.  

Also, Steampunk, though it's technically modest, is associated with zombies, and therefore Satanic. 

This woman...

19 hours ago, amandaaries said:

Ah! The health problems were "adrenal fatigue," around 2011 and before.  Here's a link: http://www.themodestmomblog.com/category/health/page/12/  

She does Plexus now, which seems like a total scam. I think she also does something with essential oils, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't sell them.

Her mom had lupus, which I remember reading could be connected to adrenal fatigue, so I wonder if there's a connection there. 

In her 2-part post about being diagnosed and all that, there's a bit that really stood out to me:

"For the next 8 months I struggled more than I ever have in my life, trying to just keep everything together during those intense anxiety attacks. Well meaning friends tried to tell me that I didn’t have enough faith in the Lord because I was having these anxiety attacks. My husband and I wrestled over those statements, and I was prayed over by elders in our church several times trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally I told my husband I couldn’t go on like this anymore, and we went to a MD that specializes in natural medicine. After spending a huge amount of money in her office for visits and different tests, I was diagnosed with having really low adrenal glands. The diagnose took a huge load off of my mind. Finally I had something to work with!"

That just sounds so depressing. Fuck those kinds of friends.

I recall the horror of eternal damnation that will someday meet immodest women and often remind myself of the glorious reward awaiting those who love modesty.

:pb_eek:

If God is sentencing women to eternal damnation for wearing a skirt above the knee, wouldn't he be equally draconian about his other rules, such as "judge not lest ye be judged"? Just something to think about, Catholic Lady. 

I mean, lady, we get it. You like Grace Kelly and want to dress like her. More power to you. But why do you have to take a personal aesthetic preference and make it into something moral? 

24 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

Her mom had lupus, which I remember reading could be connected to adrenal fatigue, so I wonder if there's a connection there.

Ain't no such thing as "adrenal fatigue"... Alt medicine might misdiagnose someone with lupus as having "adrenal fatigue", but it's not an actual medical condition. 

Unfortunately I'm afraid she was suffering from chronic depression, which can cause all sorts of physical symptoms, but is not on the fundie-approved list of acceptable medical conditions. 

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

:pb_eek:

If God is sentencing women to eternal damnation for wearing a skirt above the knee, wouldn't he be equally draconian about his other rules, such as "judge not lest ye be judged"? Just something to think about, Catholic Lady. 

I mean, lady, we get it. You like Grace Kelly and want to dress like her. More power to you. But why do you have to take a personal aesthetic preference and make it into something moral? 

Yep. Fuck off, judgy Catholic bitch. I'd far rather party away in Hell in my tank top and shorts than bore myself to tears in Heaven listening to your sanctimonious asshole-y-ness. Who's with me? :dance:

Archived