IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Also, as to finding crazy Lutheran modesty blog...Challenge Accepted!! 

Oh, it won't be a challenge at ALL. :) We've got the modesty crew, too.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

Reading these blogs makes me really glad to be Lutheran...:beer:

I'm currently thankful for my Quakerism, personally. :whitewine:

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

To me, posting pictures of your outfits on the internet and talking about how great they are is the opposite of modesty. I don't have a problem with it, because for me modesty is far from the be-all and end-all, but... it just isn't modest because it draws attention to her appearance to gain praise and approval. True modesty isn't quite so self-congratulatory.

This, exactly!

Friends (Quakers) place high value on modesty and simplicity, but not in an affected, self-aggrandizing sense. To most of the Friends at my Meeting, modesty and simplicity mean not wearing flashy, ostentatious clothing, and either buying clothes secondhand, making them for yourself, or purchasing them from ethical sources...but not talking about it ever, because that would show that you lack humility and could also be unjustly shaming to those who do not have the time, financial resources, or ability to thrift/purchase ethically/diy their clothing, which is very unFriendly. 

I'm going to be honest ,out of all the fundie bloggers I like Caroline. She seems sweet and actually seems to pay attention to her kids. I feel like she takes on a lot though. Running her own business,blog, 3 MLM businesses and homeschooling 6 kids. I agree with previous posters about her health issues actually being depression or at the very least anxiety.

Came lurking for the Naugler train wreck, signed up for the snark! 

I was socialized in a pretty conservative catholic diaspora parish in east Germany on the coast of the Baltic Sea. There it's quite common to go bathing in the nude - and that is exactly what our coed student's group would do, including my virginal 20 year old self. I think that was actually very modest in terms of not making a fuss. We were just a bunch of friends enjoying the beach, "dressed" liked everyone else.

Take that, Crazy Catholic Lady!

But I guess, I'm going to hell, anyway, this being my first post.

5 hours ago, SrMaryEloquentia said:

I was socialized in a pretty conservative catholic diaspora parish in east Germany on the coast of the Baltic Sea. There it's quite common to go bathing in the nude - and that is exactly what our coed student's group would do, including my virginal 20 year old self. I think that was actually very modest in terms of not making a fuss. We were just a bunch of friends enjoying the beach, "dressed" liked everyone else.

Welcome! I for one always live to hear an international perspective.

13 hours ago, SrMaryEloquentia said:

Welcome!

I think you made a very good point that modesty can be as much about not drawing attention to oneself as it is about how much skin is covered.

Personally, I love many of the fashions from the 1930s-50s, but I recognise that society has moved on since then. It is by no means perfect now, but things were pretty awful for people with disabilities, people of colour, LGBTQI people, and women. These bloggers who seem so enamoured of one bygone era or another seem to forget that the norms were much narrower, and that the lifestyles they promote may have been enjoyed only by the most privileged members of society. The Vision Forum lot seemed to forget that their precious Victorian era was pretty brutal for the majority. 

I am perfectly happy for people to resurrect and adapt any fashions that they choose, but let's hang on to our hard-won modern equality and tolerance, no?

55 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Welcome!

I think you made a very good point that modesty can be as much about not drawing attention to oneself as it is about how much skin is covered.

Personally, I love many of the fashions from the 1930s-50s, but I recognise that society has moved on since then. It is by no means perfect now, but things were pretty awful for people with disabilities, people of colour, LGBTQI people, and women. These bloggers who seem so enamoured of one bygone era or another seem to forget that the norms were much narrower, and that the lifestyles they promote may have been enjoyed only by the most privileged members of society. The Vision Forum lot seemed to forget that their precious Victorian era was pretty brutal for the majority. 

I am perfectly happy for people to resurrect and adapt any fashions that they choose, but let's hang on to our hard-won modern equality and tolerance, no?

This.  Even most of the white Christian males from the Victorian and other eras didn't live the lifestyle these people envision.  It wasn't because they faced discrimination or oppression, but because they were poor and uneducated and had few opportunities to become otherwise.  Sure, some people worked really really hard up from nothing to great wealth, but most people worked just as hard and went from rags to more rags.

PS: The clothes of the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s are my favorite!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I actually started my fundy fascination by looking at some fashion advice...

Personally, I love my dirndl dress https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirndl 

and wear it regularly for summer festivals in Bavaria, it is actually quite comfortable and versatile.

This style originated in 18th century as a rather simple rural dress worn by working women, so I can totally hear some people go: "Ah, those were the good old days of beautiful maidens in modest dress and feminine braids, right?"

Except they weren't. People were dirt poor, and could not afford to get married. A lot of them were hardly more than indentured servants. Therefore, about 50% of the children in this particular region of Bavaria were born out of wedlock - we know this from a letter a rather shocked young priest wrote back to his bishop.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:05 AM, laPapessaGiovanna said:

still struggle to understand how posting endless pics of yourself to show the world how you are dressed and how your clothing make you so much more feminine and holier than anyone else should be considered a modest behaviour.

Well, you've got it exactly.  

This modesty talk reminds me of a movie I saw the other day (Maggie's Place).  It was set in present day but the main character (a Quaker) was dressed like she was dressing modestly for religious reasons (it was never clarified why she dressed the way she did in the movie).  Movie is set in present day NYC and she's late 20s/early 30s.

She was wearing either turtlenecks or button-down collared blouses buttoned all the way to the top.   And never anything but a knee-length or slightly longer skirt.  At one point she had a plaid jumper on.  Her costumes reminded my mom of how a (female) teacher dressed in the 80s/early 90s.  

(THe movie wasn't good).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading Caroline's blog for a few years. The thing that always struck me as kind of funny is that the prices of her skirts and other modest clothing are too high for her target audience to be able to afford. 

• 2 months later...

A dose of reality on the latest blog post of the modest mom
themodestmomblog.com/2016/09/im-still-here

Just a few random quotes from her post:

...After we started our new school year, I realized I just needed that one day a week break right now...

...One of the biggest reasons I need the one day a week break, is because I’m worn out by our youngest...

...We enrolled the children in a one day a week homeschool co-op that feels more like a private school to me...

And her daughter seems to be wearing jeans in the first schoolday picture!

Archived