IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

42 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I'm doomed, then. I don't even own a pair of high heeled shoes. I vacuum in my Converse All Stars if I wear any shoes at all. :?

But I could wear a string of pearls, a la June Cleaver. Maybe that would somewhat mitigate the unladylike Converse (hey, they're pink, so they're kind of ladylike!).

Your post has made me reflect on that fact that I don't believe I've ever vacuumed wearing shoes in my entire life. I'm not sure what sort of mouth-breathing troglodyte this makes me. 

Maybe I wore Doc Martens while running a shop vac in a garage or something. Somehow I don't think this passes muster with Catholic Lady.

I do wear heels out a lot. But I'm 5'11" so this makes me look down on most men. Catholic Lady would fucking hate me. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kate11 said:

Does she know that men have worn shoes with heels for a few hundred years?! Some of the first men who wore heels wore them to keep their feet from coming out of the stirrups when riding horses! So elegant and extremely civilized!

Nah, historical tidbits can only be true when they support the correct narrative! :special-snowflake1:

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/on-trends.html

Someone attempts to explain to her that Steampunk is a blend of Victorian and science, and isn't about Satanism at all. Her response:

"Maybe not technically, but the resemblance is there. Try looking up steampunk zombie or heavy metal steampunk... It's often mixed with creepy things. I bet this Halloween we will see a lot of creepy steampunks."

Try looking up catholic zombie or heavy metal catholic!

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I'm doomed, then. I don't even own a pair of high heeled shoes. 

Me neither(weak ankles and major balance issues).  I'm certainly not going to risk falling on my ass and possible broken ankles just to look "civilized."

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Your post has made me reflect on that fact that I don't believe I've ever vacuumed wearing shoes in my entire life. I'm not sure what sort of mouth-breathing troglodyte this makes me. 

Maybe I wore Doc Martens while running a shop vac in a garage or something. Somehow I don't think this passes muster with Catholic Lady.

I do wear heels out a lot. But I'm 5'11" so this makes me look down on most men. Catholic Lady would fucking hate me. 

This post caught my eye and now I have to read back and find out what kind of crazy people vacuum in shoes.  

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This post caught my eye and now I have to read back and find out what kind of crazy people vacuum in shoes.  

Not just shoes -- heels.  Elegant high heels, to remember one's femininity at all times.  

On 5/20/2016 at 9:32 AM, dairyfreelife said:

Woman is naturally called to nurture her family, to provide a loving ambience for her children and her husband, to excel in the domestic arts such as sewing, cooking, cleaning, music, singing, and the overall management of a household. In short, everything the Holy Ghost mentions in Proverbs 31. Ideally she should not have to do outdoor work or activities outside the home that might brutalize or erode her femininity.

<snip>

Swimming, like bathing, is by nature a very intimate activity. There is something about the nature of swimming that makes it very easy for a person to forget their normal decorum, inhibitions, manners, propriety, and modesty in demeanour, to just let themselves go. Women have a special role in setting the example for their families and society in all these things. Why is it that we often associate the word "frolic" with beaches? Is that how children should see their mother? 

The word "beach" is so linked to modern neo-pagan immodesty that a counter-Revolutionary Catholic lady could not tell someone "We went to the beach last weekend" without causing him or her to imagine that they went in a bikini, like everyone else. You have to qualify it in order not to give scandal: "We went to a deserted beach with just the family" or "Just the children swam." Our world has taken impurity and immodesty to levels never seen before in history. Going to the beach during the summer is not just a common practice but is practically obligatory If you live within driving distance of the ocean and say "I don't go the beach" you are looked at as strange. 

<snip>

No. A Catholic lady should not swim.

So much crazy!  I have to line item the wtf:

1. If being able to sing is a requirement for motherhood then I should have been sterilized.  I come from a long line of women who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket...yet we were still able to procreate?
  2. I'll agree with this one - not wanting to erode my femininity is my reason for avoiding yard work.  
  3. I don't swim...but yes, I do think it's great for kids to see their mom's frolic.  And play.  And be silly sometimes.  Beats the hell out of being raised by a dour old killjoy.
  4. I have no idea what a counter-revolutionary Catholic is (I'm of the lapsed and lazy variety) but if someone is going to picture you in sexy mode from a comment like that...they already are.
  5. As a non-swimming Catholic (kinda) lady (kinda) I am afraid she would think i was one of her own...but I don't swim because giant squid attacks top my list of ways I'm most afraid to die, don't know how, and don't like to get my face or hair wet outside of the controlled environment of my bathroom.  

She does not speak for all non-swimming Catholics.

She sounds like a nightmare.

16 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They were obviously channeling that 1949 Singer bit I found that said you need lipstick for sewing.

1 minute ago, clueliss said:

They were obviously channeling that 1949 Singer bit I found that said you need lipstick for sewing.

I'm at work, amongst other people who can see me, and I'm wearing neither heels nor lipstick.

Why do I have a feeling Catholic Lady and the Singer people would have me locked away in a belltower if they could?

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

image.png

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!   Wearing high heels adds grace to vacuuming! 

Well motherfucker, I was just complaining to myself how inelegant vacuuming was. I sure don't want to look like a dirty cunt whilst doing my feminine chores. I'm running to my fucking closet to put those little bitches on my feet now!

Does she not realize that queens and princesses and great ladies had housekeepers to do the vacuuming and nannies to pick up the babies?  The only "TV mom who wears high heels and also has little ones" I can think of is Gloria on Modern Family.  Guess what?  She has a nanny.

On 5/22/2016 at 2:51 PM, Petrel said:

Ain't no such thing as "adrenal fatigue"... Alt medicine might misdiagnose someone with lupus as having "adrenal fatigue", but it's not an actual medical condition. 

Unfortunately I'm afraid she was suffering from chronic depression, which can cause all sorts of physical symptoms, but is not on the fundie-approved list of acceptable medical conditions. 

I'm guessing "adrenal fatigue" is pretty much just fatigue from taking care of a family, running a business, and growing a whole new person every couple of years!  I think there's the idea that she should be able to do all of that while feeling vibrant and energetic instead of drained and exhausted.   

The only time I've heard the term 'adrenal Fatigue' it came out of Mark Driscoll's mouth during a sermon claiming he had it because he worked so so hard (at plagiarizing)

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I'd bet $500.00 cold hard cash right now that she's Latin mass only. 

Do we know what state she lives in?

there is a parish near me that is notoriously conservative and women wear veils to mass. They have been trying to get approved to hold Latin Mass for a while now. Apparently it needs to be approved and it's not that common. Only 2 churches in my diocese have LM. I would like to sleuth this out now.

There is a church near me that has LM but apparently they are SSPX or whatever it is. And some weird French nuns who sell pastries are in conflict with with the community and they are not legitimate Catholic nuns. I learn odd stuff from google everyday.

The Crazy Catholic Lady despises little girls playing sports or dressing like they do- "When I see cute little girls wearing tennis shoes and sports apparel I cringe.  They are on a certain path to despising their own femininity and becoming sad unfeminine creatures."  

Oh,  Bat-Shit Crazy Catholic Lady, I am a woman who lifts weights, runs, rows and swings a 35 pound kettle bell.  I love what exercise has done for my body.  I'm strong with amazing curves.  I'm secure enough in my own femininity that I can wear leggings + a tee, jeans, or a dress + heels, or nothing at all.  I also shop at Target and support GBLT rights.

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Does not speak for all non-swimming Catholics.

New post count title. 

And yeah, maybe I've got a squeaky clean brain (doubtful) but if someone says they went to the beach last weekend I don't picture them in their bathing suit. When people even say "beach" the first images that come to mind are big umbrellas and sand castles.

Maybe Catholic Lady and her commenting dude should get their minds outta the gutters. 

35 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Do we know what state she lives in?

No, but I can start sleuthing...

I thought perhaps she mentioned her location on her blog or FB. I wanted to see what LMs would be near her.

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

New post count title. 

And yeah, maybe I've got a squeaky clean brain (doubtful) but if someone says they went to the beach last weekend I don't picture them in their bathing suit. When people even say "beach" the first images that come to mind are big umbrellas and sand castles.

Maybe Catholic Lady and her commenting dude should get their minds outta the gutters. 

No, but I can start sleuthing...

Pennsylvania.

36 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Pennsylvania.

Yep. I found the church they attend too--it offers a Latin mass. :tw_glasses:

7 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Yep. I found the church they attend too--it offers a Latin mass. :tw_glasses:

that's probably why she thinks God told her women shouldn't swim.  She doesn't speak Latin so she misinterpreted the message.  

Isn't this stuff cryptic enough in English?

6 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Try looking up catholic zombie or heavy metal catholic!

You had to say that, didn't you? Sigh. I googled. I have no self control. 

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

On 5/20/2016 at 10:34 AM, mango_fandango said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I thought they weren't, just that when you google "Mosiah" lots of LDS links appear. 

Mormons love those weird names. I'm from Western CO near Utah so lots of LDS.

13 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Me too, me too! I get married on Friday in 3.5-inch heels, and I dgaf if I'll be taller than most men at my wedding! :)  High five, fellow tall FJer!

11 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She does not speak for all non-swimming Catholics.

#notallnonswimmingcatholics

16 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

image.png

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!   Wearing high heels adds grace to vacuuming! 

Well motherfucker, I was just complaining to myself how inelegant vacuuming was. I sure don't want to look like a dirty cunt whilst doing my feminine chores. I'm running to my fucking closet to put those little bitches on my feet now!

Sorry about the mess, my brain just exploded.

Since I can't even handle the stupidity of the whole 'let's intentionally mess up our backs so we look feminine' thing, what kind of heels is she talking about?

I'm five foot six, and I would need to wear five or six inch heels to be on the same eye level as most men I know.  Does she mean that we should be wearing six inch heels, or do I just know tall men?

16 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

Sorry about the mess, my brain just exploded.

Since I can't even handle the stupidity of the whole 'let's intentionally mess up our backs so we look feminine' thing, what kind of heels is she talking about?

I'm five foot six, and I would need to wear five or six inch heels to be on the same eye level as most men I know.  Does she mean that we should be wearing six inch heels, or do I just know tall men?

Agreed about messing up your back with heels, not to mention the damage heels can do to feet and legs hammer toes,bunions, and shortened achilles tendons.  

Archived