IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

35 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Now that's a scene that would fit right into HIMYM.... 

If was HIMYM it'd be first name Major, last name Package or some dirty combo like that haha

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Last names as first names can sound pretentious. Not always, but often enough. 

Back when yuppies were a thing I met a couple who named their baby Chancellor. Not a family name or anything, 

they felt it made him sound important. Ok.

That's taking the Senator/Supreme Court Justice Test for names waaaayyyyy too literally.

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Nevaeh is Heaven, backwards. Fundy "I'm not worthy" type naming... not as pushy as "heistheway" but still makes a point.

At first I thought of the lotion/creme brand "Nivea"...

8 hours ago, anotherone said:

Bit o' trivia:

The founder of the Hallmark card company was named Joyce C. Hall. His mother named him after a Methodist preacher, Isaac W. Joyce, who she was impressed with.  He, not surprisingly, hated his name.  Eventually he took the middle name Clyde. 

So Ben wasn't the first to name a kid after a preacher's last name.  And like Joyce, I'm guessing Spurge will go on to hate his name as well.

I thought this was interesting because I never knew it was a thing to name your kid after a preacher.  Why they didn't just use Charles and Isaac, who knows...

There have been others named Spurgeon also.  In addition to real people, there was even a character in a movie named Spurgeon.

As for why they don't name the kids after the first name of their hero, the last name is more associated with the preacher than the first name, and the namerd don't want any confusion about whom they are honoring.

Jessa posted a new video of Spud sitting in his Bumbo on top of the couch. Someone told her to stop sitting Spud on the couch in his Bumbo because he could fall & get hurt. Clearly, this lady doesn't realize Spud & his parents have Jayzus on their side. Safety first.... Nah, the Seewalds have Jayzus first ( others second, themselves third... Remember it's all about J.O.Y.) 

22 minutes ago, divadivine said:

Jessa posted a new video of Spud sitting in his Bumbo on top of the couch. Someone told her to stop sitting Spud on the couch in his Bumbo because he could fall & get hurt. Clearly, this lady doesn't realize Spud & his parents have Jayzus on their side. Safety first.... Nah, the Seewalds have Jayzus first ( others second, themselves third... Remember it's all about J.O.Y.) 

since I don't have kids - and don't know these things - thanks for informing me :D

My college sociology professor used to work in social services in WVa. She had a mother come in with a daughter names sweetbaby cherrygirl. 

1 hour ago, Yaoichan12 said:

My college sociology professor used to work in social services in WVa. She had a mother come in with a daughter names sweetbaby cherrygirl. 

My sister taught in the Bronx. She had a child whose legal name was Princess Baby.

An acquaintance of mine has grandchildren named Archer, Minister and Shepherd. I am a part of a group where one woman has a grandchild whose name is Abcde - pronounced Absidy.

Abcde is particularly cruel. Kind of like L-a (pronounced Ladasha) But I knew a girl whose name was Sparkle, her last name was Cash. 

1 hour ago, Purrl said:

An acquaintance of mine has grandchildren named Archer, Minister and Shepherd. I am a part of a group where one woman has a grandchild whose name is Abcde - pronounced Absidy.

No grandchildren for me yet - but I do have a grand dog named Archer & a mighty fine name it is too...for a dog.

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My former foster daughter just named her baby Nevaeh Willow.

Isn't that a game you play at sleepovers? Nevaeh willow evah?

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Abcde is particularly cruel. Kind of like L-a (pronounced Ladasha) But I knew a girl whose name was Sparkle, her last name was Cash. 

That is an urban legend. And a really racist one at that.

8 hours ago, divadivine said:

Plus, there's the whole "we are so pro-life, we are on a mission to save and protect babies!" but then once the little suckers are born, it's totally fine to let them gnaw on running electrical appliances, improperly use restraining devices so that one fender bender or fall can render them disabled or brain-dead, utterly neglect their education, refuse to give them proper therapy when they display aggressive sexual behaviors/are the victims of said aggressive sexual behaviors, allow a full camera crew into the NICU where they are fighting for their lives, and neglect getting proper prenatal care/delay going to the hospital when your birth starts to go wrong because JEEBUS.

8 hours ago, Yaoichan12 said:

I think I actually like that one.  Though I hope she goes by Cherry, like Cherry in The Outsiders (I know she's really Sherri, but I like cherries more than sherry ;)

I have an unusual first name though and usually like unusual names.  But Spurgeon is two sounds that should not go together.  My lips don't want to do it.  Maybe I'd like it more if Jessa had seemed more enthused from the beginning.  I come from a "mama has the baby, mama has 100% of the naming rights and ultimate veto power" culture.

34 minutes ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

I think I actually like that one.  Though I hope she goes by Cherry, like Cherry in The Outsiders (I know she's really Sherri, but I like cherries more than sherry ;)

I have an unusual first name though and usually like unusual names.  But Spurgeon is two sounds that should not go together.  My lips don't want to do it.  Maybe I'd like it more if Jessa had seemed more enthused from the beginning.  I come from a "mama has the baby, mama has 100% of the naming rights and ultimate veto power" culture.

I had a friend in China whose English name was Cherry. I think it really fit her personality (sweet, but not sugary or sappy).

I also like unusual names with interesting stories behind them, but Spurgeon just sounds awkward and un-melodious.

17 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Last names as first names can sound pretentious. Not always, but often enough. 

Back when yuppies were a thing I met a couple who named their baby Chancellor. Not a family name or anything, 

they felt it made him sound important. Ok.

haha, like the head of a university? There are laws in Australia against giving your child a title as a name - so no Dames, Princess, Lord, Sir, Doctor, etc. I'm not sure about Duke but i wouldn't be surprised if that's out too... but Chancellor might scrape through!

The worst baby names I have personally heard were:

Vanity - her mom thought it meant beauty

Marshal Courage [Surname] - any part of this separately would be fine, but the combination is a bit much

MJ [Surname] - just initials, not short for anything. The child's legal name is two letters plus the last name. To make matters worse, the mom copied the idea off another mom in the same small town, so there will be two of these (using the same letters) in a school class together. MJ is fine as a nickname, but at least give your kid an actual name to fall back on!

Nurses come across funny (odd) names.. I've cared for males with first names Captain, Major, Sergeant, Junior. Legal first names.I have seen the naming of a babe Female, pronounced Feh-moll-ee", and other, less pronounceable or spell-able names. I don't get the ones with apostrophes. 

Now I feel lame and uncreative for picking Anna and Brandon,

I suppose I can try to convince hubby that Velociraptor Barbarian or Magenta Royalty would be better options. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Nurses come across funny (odd) names.. I've cared for males with first names Captain, Major, Sergeant, Junior. Legal first names.I have seen the naming of a babe Female, pronounced Feh-moll-ee", and other, less pronounceable or spell-able names. I don't get the ones with apostrophes. 

Those male first names are what they used to name German Shepherds.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Now I feel lame and uncreative for picking Anna and Brandon,

I suppose I can try to convince hubby that Velociraptor Barbarian or Magenta Royalty would be better options. :pb_lol:

I love Magenta Royalty. Maybe for a secret name. 

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Apostrophes sometimes represent glottal stops (like when a person with a Cockney accent says "bah-ull" instead of "boTTle", or a lot of transliterated words in Arabic and Polynesian languages) or a very short/elided vowel (like in "l'amour" or "D'Andrea"). *linguistics student hat off*

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived