IGNORED

Mormons Plan Resignation From LDS Church

dawn9476

Dozens of mormons are planning a mass resignation from the church tomorrow. The reason why they are doing it comes from the church's political activism against gay marriage, teachings that conflict with science or are perceived to be racist or sexist, and inconsistencies of explaining their own history especially when it comes to polygamy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 37877.html

I think that takes a lot of guts. The Mormon church explicitly teaches that you need to keep its approval, or you lose your family ties. Even if you unpack it as an adult and disregard it, being raised in that must have an effect.

I hope they are able to actually get thier name off the record if they want to. I know plenty of inactive mormons who have tried and usually the bishop comes by and says we wont bother you anymore(and the bishop is being honest, no one will come by again) but the church hates to take people off the record. You have to beg not just write the letter. They want the numbers. My husband is LDS and hasnt been to church in since college, my kids have never gone to lds church(my son did attend scouts at an lds church) and both my unbaptised over 8 year olds are listed as members. I tried to get them removed without luck with 3 different bishops and since no one ever bothers me from the church I let it go for now.

I hope they are able to actually get thier name off the record if they want to. I know plenty of inactive mormons who have tried and usually the bishop comes by and says we wont bother you anymore(and the bishop is being honest, no one will come by again) but the church hates to take people off the record. You have to beg not just write the letter. They want the numbers. My husband is LDS and hasnt been to church in since college, my kids have never gone to lds church(my son did attend scouts at an lds church) and both my unbaptised over 8 year olds are listed as members. I tried to get them removed without luck with 3 different bishops and since no one ever bothers me from the church I let it go for now.

This is what I've heard. Go over to ex-mormon.org. This pretty much sums up all the stories on that site of people trying to leave the LDS church. They make it an exceptionally difficult and frustrating process. It's definitely about the numbers in order to attract new members to the True Church.

The trick is not to go through the Bishop but through membership records or whatever they are called in SLC. They did try to refer me to my Bishop, I just wrote back that I consider that a violation of my rights, referring to the judgement that makes it compulsory for them to delete me from records.

exmormon.org has a very nice resignation letter.

I think that takes a lot of guts. The Mormon church explicitly teaches that you need to keep its approval, or you lose your family ties. Even if you unpack it as an adult and disregard it, being raised in that must have an effect.

It only applies to eternity. The forever families teaching is one that attracts a lot of people, but eventually the eternal family unit doesn't really make a difference when your family unit is 12 billion people because everyone is related to everyone in Heaven.

The concept of re-baptism is actually a good one with the LDS, because families are encouraged to keep normal ties with wayward children, just in case they decide to rejoin. And practice contrary to that is sad and against regular practice.

It only applies to eternity. The forever families teaching is one that attracts a lot of people, but eventually the eternal family unit doesn't really make a difference when your family unit is 12 billion people because everyone is related to everyone in Heaven.

The concept of re-baptism is actually a good one with the LDS, because families are encouraged to keep normal ties with wayward children, just in case they decide to rejoin. And practice contrary to that is sad and against regular practice.

Sorry, should have been clearer: the eternal celestial kingdom family ties. I'm not aware of any LDS community that practices family shunning for apostates.

Dozens of mormons are planning a mass resignation from the church tomorrow. The reason why they are doing it comes from the church's political activism against gay marriage, teachings that conflict with science or are perceived to be racist or sexist, and inconsistencies of explaining their own history especially when it comes to polygamy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 37877.html

:clap: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl::romance-heartsthree:

I applaud those who are resigning. My aunt(uncle's ex) and her parents left the LDS church back in the 80's, after one of her uncles came out of the closet. Some of my aunt's relatives remained in the LDS church and they still kept in touch and visited with my aunt's family. I've also read some of the threads on exmormon.org and there was an ex-Mormon blogger that I came across a couple of years back who discussed the difficulties of getting his name removed from records. I've haven't spoken with my aunt in several months and I've never asked if her name was ever removed from the records.

Yeah, that's a great practice, because what other reason would a parent have to keep ties with their "wayward" children? Certainly not the fact that they're their children and they love them no matter what. :roll:

Yeah, that's a great practice, because what other reason would a parent have to keep ties with their "wayward" children? Certainly not the fact that they're their children and they love them no matter what. :roll:

Well, the love is there in those as well, who are forced to shun their kids more often than not. But the church actually encourages keeping normal family relations instead of doing the JW or certain other fundie sects. They also want them to rejoin the church because they want to spend eternity with them. My adoptive mother is still praying for her other kids (5 out of the 7 of us have left the LDS church, one was excommunicated and one is inactive), because she loves them (not me) and wants them to have the eternal life they are promised together.

Is LDS even a church? I've always believed that Mormonism is a cult. (most members of my step-family were Jack-Mormon's)

Is LDS even a church? I've always believed that Mormonism is a cult. (most members of my step-family were Jack-Mormon's)

In my personal experience they tie with the Roman Catholics on the cult ranking.

In my personal experience they tie with the Roman Catholics on the cult ranking.

As a lifelong Catholic turned UU, I must respectfully disagree. It is not standard practice for Catholics to be assigned Church duties (teaching catechism, for example) and be told that the assignment was "divinely inspired," and that you decline at the risk of losing your standing in the Church community. If you decide to stop attending Mass, no one is going to order you into a meeting to demand why. If you aren't Catholic, or drop out, no one is going to deny you attendance at a Catholic wedding. Your standing as a Catholic isn't dependent on your coughing up 10% of your gross income to the Church.

Hevcoh, I suspect you've been hanging out with some pretty hardcore Traditionalist Catholics.

Archived