IGNORED

"Today for the first time in my life I saw one" Muslim

emmiedahl

I hate to say this, but I am sure that a considerable number of Americans would be on board with the kind of measures Hitler used regarding. Jews I can see Santorum doing shit like that and probably calling for a death penalty for being Muslim, as it's 'un-American' or something.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a cheery little post from that discussion:

Just insert Germany for Montana and Jews for Saudis and what does it sound like?

I went to a Jesuit University, and these people would have fallen over seeing how many people in the student body wre Muslim. I would estimate about a quarter of the student body while I was there were Muslim. Sheesh, even where my parents live in rural Nebraska there are Muslims (Iraqi asylum seekers) and women who wear hijabs.

Fisheaters is a nasty place with nasty people. I got their via the catholic.com forum, which is already pretty conservative and traditionalist, but for some, still not enough.

It is the usual fundie mixup of neo-conservative political views, religion, racism, misogyny and stupidity.

cathinfo dot com makes Fisheaters look flamingly liberal.

Actually, Jews are not liked at all in that forum. Someone else brought up a yarmulke as a sign of an anti-Christ religion and, like I said, videos made by David Duke are treated as credible sources about Jewish history.

For some reason, I thought that fundie Christians admired Jewish customs and traditions because of the Old Testament, because like OMG Jesus was Jewish! (Please forgive me if I'm incorrect) :oops:

Some do, some don't.

They don't because THE JEWS KILLED JESUS!!!!!

Funny, one might think an argument that has been overused since 35 AD should get old at some point, especially with the role the Romans played in the trial, but they are so conservative that they're stuck in the middle ages, so no surprise there.

I read through some that thread and some of the comments made my blood boil. I think have visited the fisheaters forum before. That forum is worse that catholic.com or the catholicanswers.com forum

I think you shoulda punched her in the face, Josh. That's what any traddie man with balls woulda done. Just sayin.

That comment is fucked up. Advocating violence against women.

The OP in that thread is from Texas. I hope he and the other posters in that thread realize that some Protestants in Texas loathe Catholics quite a bit and even some KKK and white supremacist groups there probably call Catholics "creatures" or "a threat to America". I was raised Catholic, but most of the people at the parish my family attended weren't extremely conservative and they were ok with Muslims. I have also encountered extremely conservative Catholics over the years who call Muslims by derogatory terms.

You know what really really worries me? these people, the language they use, is similar to the language that a certain mass murdering fuckhead 60 years ago in Germany used against my people.

This bothers me INTENSELY on a really really deep level.

ALL the Muslims I know are wonderful, kind individuals and i've drawn my conclusion that MOST Muslims in the world must be like them.

We may not agree theologically, but I don't agree w/ my Catholic relatives and friends whom I love very much as well.

This!

"Nuns aren't degraded like Muslim women are. At least nuns choose to accept a greater spiritual discipline - Muslim women have no choice."

Oh, fucking BS. The reason nuns dress the way they do is because back when the habits were being designed ALL women dressed that way. Except with fancier embroidery because, y'know, they didn't all take vows of poverty first, just the nuns.

Let's all sincerely hope it's a particularly nasty troll. Kinda makes me never EVER want to go to Texas.

Like we say in my family, if you think it's hot in Hell, just wait till you get to Texas! (I'm so enamored of my bad joke I feel the need to say it every chance I get.)

Thus allowing him to die for our sins and be our salvation and all that good stuff. If Jesus dying on the cross was ultimately a good thing, doesn't that make the Jews and Pilate the heroes of the piece?

Just cruising their forum, they are just as hard on Jews. Jeez, these people are xenophobic idiots. Mossad caused 9/11 and Jews put infant blood in Passover matzot. Shit like that.

eta: and several favorable mentions of a documentary made by David Duke :roll:

Holy crap, it's 2012! Don't they know it's all about putting aborted fetuses in food now? Infant blood is sooooo 20th century. :D

Some do, some don't.

Funny, one might think an argument that has been overused since 35 AD should get old at some point, especially with the role the Romans played in the trial, but they are so conservative that they're stuck in the middle ages, so no surprise there.

And yet where, precisely, is their capital headquarters? ROME. And I dont' see them boycotting or slandering pizza and pasta either.

And come on, if WE really had anything to do with the killing of their lord and savior, we would have used stoning NOT crucifixion. Crucifixion was considered less humane than stoning. O_o

Furthermore, didn't um, Jesus HAVE to die in order for their religion to exist?

Edited because Girl fetus and low blood pressure are making me really woozy today.

Iirc, crucifixion was invented by the ancient Britons and the Romans adopted it from them - so nothing to do with Jews at all.

Also, do these people really not know how respected Jesus is in Islam? The Gospels are repeated in quite some detail in the Qu'ran (even naming the disciples and other people featured in the Gospels), and Muslims believe in the Second Coming of Jesus. Many Muslims in the UK attend church schools with no problem.

This looks like the breakaway "Traditional Catholic" group. I first heard of them when I found out that this was Mel Gibson's church - and we know that he is just a paragon of tolerance and sanity.

I don't care if someone wants to pray in Latin (hey, I pray in an obscure ancient language too!), but rejecting Vatican II can also mean rejecting statements that the Jews today shouldn't be blamed for killing Christ and that Muslims should be respected. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostra_Aetate

Iirc, crucifixion was invented by the ancient Britons and the Romans adopted it from them - so nothing to do with Jews at all.

Also, do these people really not know how respected Jesus is in Islam? The Gospels are repeated in quite some detail in the Qu'ran (even naming the disciples and other people featured in the Gospels), and Muslims believe in the Second Coming of Jesus. Many Muslims in the UK attend church schools with no problem.

How is it that they believe in the Second Coming? I've never heard this before. Wouldn't they have to believe that Jesus is divine for that to be possible?

Oh, wait--I get it: Fisheaters are the REAL Catholics, and my family and friends are just poseurs.

Convo re the veil between two non-veiled young women in my ESL class:

Latina: Doesn't your husband make you wear it?

Lebanese: No! You only wear it if you want to!

Oh, and a couple of decades back, the Grand Dragon of the Connecticut KKK said he was a Catholic, and that his organization "welcomes" Catholics. They had a funny way of welcoming some of my relatives when they burned a cross on their front yard during the Depression. This was in upstate New York, and scared many of the Italian Catholics there into Anglicizing their surnames.

Seriously having to remind myself that not all Catholics are like this. I went to 2 Catholic schools as a kid, one was amazing, the other prolly had these people as students though. I don't remember any sort of hatred being taught at the good school. This really saddens me because the people posting on that forum are no better than terrorists. They see a religion and culture that is different and decide to villify it. :( That really makes me sad. These are prolly the same types of people that scream at Muslim women (or men, if they are obviously Muslim) and spit at Muslim women, and assault Muslim women, and just generally make life unpleasent. :(

On behalf of my people -- the sane half --, I apologize.

I'd like to proudly admit that I'm a bleeding heart, pro-choice, anti-republican and idiocy type of Catholic.

PS: Hey batshit Catholics... Love thy neighbor. Thanks.

I was about to post about how this is a site for freaks that are part of the breakaway group of Traditional Catholics - but there is a larger, scarier part to the story.

Pope Benedict has been reaching out to the Traditional Catholics. See http://www.catholiceducation.org/articl ... re0920.htm

Now, it happens that one of the four bishops that he brought back from ex-communication is a holocaust denier and and 9/11 conspiracy theorist. IOW - the same freaky hate-filled mindset that we see on the fisheaters site! What does it mean when the Pope is courting and welcoming these people?

The divisionsin our world are positively frightening. We really are bent on destroying ourselves over who has the best invisible friend.

Not surprised. Didn't the Pope call Islam an 'innately violent' religion or something along those lines a few years ago? He back peddled after the fact, but he said it.

On behalf of my people -- the sane half --, I apologize.

I'd like to proudly admit that I'm a bleeding heart, pro-choice, anti-republican and idiocy type of Catholic.

PS: Hey batshit Catholics... Love thy neighbor. Thanks.

This.

:shock:

I wonder if the ignorant, bigot knows that pork is verboten to Muslims, or s/he just happened to have a package of thick-cut bacon hand.

And I share your :shock:

I wonder if the ignorant, bigot knows that pork is verboten to Muslims, or s/he just happened to have a package of thick-cut bacon hand.

And I share your :shock:

They seem to know, because one of them gloats that they tricked a Muslim into eating scrapple. And another bitches that Muslims in his area wanted a pork processing plant moved out of the neighborhood.

I think Benedict has created a new path for the Catholic Church. Under JPII, the church was hardly tolerant but it was trending that way. I was working for the Catholic Church at the time he died and we were offered a day off to watch the funeral (which was at night because of time difference). My husband loved JPII, we had his framed picture in our home even. I felt like he accepted Jews as friends and was more tolerant of Jewish-Catholic marriages (which, btw, seem common; at my temple, all of the Christian intermarriages are with Catholics). But Benedict is Bad News and my husband knew it as soon as he saw the guy. Once he started talking, it became much more clear that he is an evil, power-hungry man. I fear for what will happen if he lives much longer.

Although, the fact that he was made Pope seems to suggest that a lot of Cardinals were secretly unhappy with John-Paul's progressiveness.

Archived