IGNORED

"Today for the first time in my life I saw one" Muslim

emmiedahl

There are some nice, open minded people here.

...About five of us.

I will let you know if I ever decide to visit, so you can chaperone me!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, among the vile nastiness, the few people trying to be less vile, and some possible Poes, there is a bit of humor:

You don't have the urge to throw beef at the hindus?

And they have several "crossing oneself" smilies -- I'm tellin' ya, there's a smilie for everything!

prayer.gif

prayer3.gif

If anyone ever does that to me, he'll regret it. IF he really has done that, I doubt the Muslims even knew what it meant, unless they've seen it in a movie or have Catholic friends who have done it in front of them.

If he is doing it repeatedly, they might be rushing off to get help for the man on the playground they assume is having a seizure.

I love that these people are freaking out about Muslims being the decline of Western Civilization ... while hanging out at the McDonalds playground.

Creatures. Creatures.

If I could revoke my membership in the human race, I would do it right now.

I'm right there with you dude, right there with you.

I'm loath to step into this debate in most other circumstances, but this kind of thing is why we really do need some tighter hate crime laws here.

If he is doing it repeatedly, they might be rushing off to get help for the man on the playground they assume is having a seizure.

I love that these people are freaking out about Muslims being the decline of Western Civilization ... while hanging out at the McDonalds playground.

We wouldn't HAVE Western Civilization if it weren't for the Muslims! They invented zero ! and algebra! and COFFEE, and AND AND!!! *head explodes from the idiocy of these people*

I'm right there with you dude, right there with you.

Me, too. I'm Catholic, and this makes my skin crawl.

Seriously having to remind myself that not all Catholics are like this. I went to 2 Catholic schools as a kid, one was amazing, the other prolly had these people as students though. I don't remember any sort of hatred being taught at the good school. This really saddens me because the people posting on that forum are no better than terrorists. They see a religion and culture that is different and decide to villify it. :( That really makes me sad. These are prolly the same types of people that scream at Muslim women (or men, if they are obviously Muslim) and spit at Muslim women, and assault Muslim women, and just generally make life unpleasent. :(

No, no, no, we really aren't all like this, thank you for trying to keep that in mind. I wouldn't blame you if you just gave up, though, not after reading all those evil, hate-filled comments over there.

As someone who lives in an area with a high Muslim population, this just makes me sick. I just... I can't even... I want to hurl a hastly opened pack of bacon at the author of that post and every single person who replied in kind. I just couldn't get past the first couple of fucked up posts. That is just so fucking disgusting. How the HELL can they even live with themselves and call themselves Catholic? This is just so fucked up.

We wouldn't HAVE Western Civilization if it weren't for the Muslims! They invented zero ! and algebra! and COFFEE, and AND AND!!! *head explodes from the idiocy of these people*

Exactly! I read somewhere (prolly in some CNN comment, I really have to learn to stop reading those!) that Arabs/Muslims havne't done anything worth remembering in hisory. Um, no, not really. In addition to the things you mentioned, there are also like, 6000 words with Arabic roots (or maybe it's 4000, I can't remember. Either way, it's a lot.

Exactly! I read somewhere (prolly in some CNN comment, I really have to learn to stop reading those!) that Arabs/Muslims havne't done anything worth remembering in hisory. Um, no, not really. In addition to the things you mentioned, there are also like, 6000 words with Arabic roots (or maybe it's 4000, I can't remember. Either way, it's a lot.

Arabs translated almost the ENTIRE body of Greek science and philosophy, which then worked its way into Europe through trade routes. A lot of the science was wrong, but the ideas that percolated gave us the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment. It's not an understatement to say that the Muslims gave us the modern world. Also, a lot of the turmoil in the Middle East can be traced to Western colonialism and arbitrary borders drawn when those countries backed out.

Arabs translated almost the ENTIRE body of Greek science and philosophy, which then worked its way into Europe through trade routes. A lot of the science was wrong, but the ideas that percolated gave us the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment. It's not an understatement to say that the Muslims gave us the modern world. Also, a lot of the turmoil in the Middle East can be traced to Western colonialism and arbitrary borders drawn when those countries backed out.

Essentially we'd still be living in the Dark Ages.

Oh WAIT, they'd like that wouldn't they?!??!

Including, much to my own amusement, alcohol. But, yeah, while Christians in Europe were busy hiding up in castles and being ignorant, Muslims in Arabia were discovering all sorts of things that Europeans (like Kepler) later took credit for.

The Muslims kept knowledge going during the Middle Ages. It's not that there were not intellectuals in the Church, but they were mostly concerned with religious matters. Scientific and mathematical knowledge depended on the Muslims and the Jews.

Just cruising their forum, they are just as hard on Jews. Jeez, these people are xenophobic idiots. Mossad caused 9/11 and Jews put infant blood in Passover matzot. Shit like that.

eta: and several favorable mentions of a documentary made by David Duke :roll:

That's a particularly odious site. And I'm a bit unhinged about the initial post that started this thread. I live in a college town, that has a small mosque and a rather well integrated Muslim community. If a Muslim child or adult makes eye contact with me or bumps into me with their cart at the grocery store I don't grab bacon I simply say, 'a salaam alaikum'.

Don't you know! Only Christian and Jewish modesty is good because they aren't terrorists!!!!111! Why can't the fundies on that RC forum just come out and say it?

So all nuns in the history of man chose to become nuns. I thought some up until recently were either forced into it by their parents or guilted into it. Not all nuns or even a lot but some in history. Until recently women didn't have a lot of choices outside of marriage and becoming a nun might not have a woman's first choice in some cases.

Don't you know! Only Christian and Jewish modesty is good because they aren't terrorists!!!!111! Why can't the fundies on that RC forum just come out and say it?

Actually, Jews are not liked at all in that forum. Someone else brought up a yarmulke as a sign of an anti-Christ religion and, like I said, videos made by David Duke are treated as credible sources about Jewish history.

My doctor's new medical assistant is a bright and talented young Muslim lady. She was wearing a lovely hijab when she took me into the room to do my vitals. I complimented her on the ornateness of the scarf and she said thanks. I see lots of ladies wearing hijab and abaya but rarely see one in a niqab. We used to live down the street from the Islamic Center of the South Bay and never ever had any issues with the families that attended there. Some of the locals had a NIMBY attitude because they desperately need to expand. ( And in Temecula, home of several megachurches, there was an uproar over a mosque proposed to open. The people there threw up all sorts of roadblocks that the Christian churches never experienced. Paranoid much?)

I remember though when I was a little girl, the Catholic Kids would sing a taunting little rhyme:

Catholics, Catholics ring the bell

Lutherans , Lutherans go to hell.

Charming wasn't it? Those were the ones who went to Catholic school. The kids who went to public school were shamed by putting their names in the Sunday bulletin if they didn't attend Catechism on Saturdays. They were somehow less devoted than the ones who attended St Marks.

I don't know how these haters get through the day.

Fisheaters is a nasty place with nasty people. I got their via the catholic.com forum, which is already pretty conservative and traditionalist, but for some, still not enough.

It is the usual fundie mixup of neo-conservative political views, religion, racism, misogyny and stupidity.

I bet my foodmoney for the week that the stinking housewife has an account there.

ETA:

Calling Muslims "devil worshippers" is against Catholic teaching. The church states in the documents of Vaticanum II. that Jews, Christians and Muslims, the three Abrahamitic religions, worship the same God. But these nuts are sedevacantists anyway, methinks.

Did some reading over there... Learned that Islam is a cult based on superstition, but seriously considering satanic possession as a cause for normal childhood behaviours is perfectly normal.

Because the Muslims are like vampires and are frightened off by the sign of the cross. Yes, that EXACTLY what it is for, harassing Muslims. Jesus himself said to do so.

They've only given America terrible Presidents and killed good ones. They wanted to be a separate country...maybe they should have been lol. Just kidding. Sort of.

We tried it for a little while; it didn't take. ;-)

Archived