NurseNell

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Anna looks great because she looks relieved, glowing, smiling, healthy, and radiant. I think this is different from commenting that someone "looks good" after birth al la crazy Janis - going home from the hospital looking hot wearing a miniskirt and heels. One is superficial, one is not.

This is what I meant when I said she looks wonderful! You've described it exactly.

For what it's worth, I'm glad baby and mother are okay. I just hope that both Christopher and Nathan remove their heads from their asses at some point in the near future and at least attempt to move their families - which they do seem to love - outside of Steve's dangerous sphere of influence. That man is a dangerous freak and no children should be growing up around him at all.

Does anyone wonder if poor Sarah was forced to be present for the birth? Having the teenage and older females of the family present for the "event" seems to be an obsession in fundie circles.

Do you suppose Stevie caught the baby? :lol: Why does it look like he's wearing nail polish?

Newborn fingernails look like that -- they are sort of blue for awhile. Both my boys had the same thing. Can't remember how long it lasts.

Is it normal to continue a home birth when there is meconium in the water? The baby's fingernails do look stained.

Not when you have someone trained. Meconium means get the hell to the hospital. If inhaled, that can kill. It's tarry, and there's a high chance of complications for the baby if any is inhaled.

I don't know, I do know my OB down in Los Angeles had a contract, if you went into labor early or were late you went to the hosp. where he had privileges, and his birthing center was not an option.

What was considered early and late? Some OB/GYNs consider under 39 weeks or a day over the estimated due date to be early or late, some go by 37 weeks and 42 weeks. Some use other times.

Meconium is scary! When my water broke the nurse saw Meconium in the fluid, and told me that when the baby was born the room was going to be packed with people.

They kept me on the fetal monitor and everything progressed well, but when DD was born there were like 10 other people in the room for that reason alone! DD was fine, pooped as soon as she came out though so I was happy she came out when she did.

ETA: I was 41 weeks 3 days when they induced me

Is it normal to continue a home birth when there is meconium in the water? The baby's fingernails do look stained.

I'm pretty sure that with a real midwife who has appropriate training, licensing, and liability insurance coverage, significant meconium in the water results in a hospital transfer. It's almost always a sign of fetal distress.

What was considered early and late? Some OB/GYNs consider under 39 weeks or a day over the estimated due date to be early or late, some go by 37 weeks and 42 weeks. Some use other times.

I really can't remember how many weeks was considered 'early' in 1987. But the contract was 2 weeks before expected due date or two weeks after. As it stands I'm good with the whole situation 27 years later, my Drs. prudence saved my daughters life.

Poor Melanie is all I can say. NR Anna wins, an easily conceived, healthy, home birthed boy, pretty much the fundy trifecta. Poor Melanie only had girls that take a long time to conceive and arrive after difficult pregnancies. I am sure that Steve sees this as a sign that he did a better job helping Christopher through the courtship process and that he went astray letting Melanie and Nathan hold hands and be alone together before their wedding night.

So sad that these poor daughters-in-law are only valued for their breeding ability. It must produce a lot of anxiety for someone like Melanie.

I am glad everyone is healthy (physically at least) but really I only see more emotional abuse for all of them in the future.

The baby's whole hand looks bluer than his face in that picture, so the fingernails might be dark because of the coloring rather than there's something on them.

I'm so glad that Anna had a healthy baby. She seems a nice girl, it's not her fault the Maxwells are insane. She looks so happy I can't help but smile.

Poor Melanie is all I can say. NR Anna wins, an easily conceived, healthy, home birthed boy, pretty much the fundy trifecta. Poor Melanie only had girls that take a long time to conceive and arrive after difficult pregnancies. I am sure that Steve sees this as a sign that he did a better job helping Christopher through the courtship process and that he went astray letting Melanie and Nathan hold hands and be alone together before their wedding night.

I thought NR Anna and Christopher had been married awhile before they got pregnant? Not as long as Melanie and Nathan but maybe close to a year?

If the water breaks early and there is meconium in the water then that is reason for a transfer, but if the water breaks when labor is imminent (which it often does) and there is meconium the midwife will usually advise keeping mother and baby at home. MW's do bring suction equipment and know how to help the baby avoid aspirating the meconium as long as the baby does not come very fast, but it is risky.

Meconium aspiration AFAIK is not a "baby will die in next five minutes without a NICU" emergency but a "get this baby treated ASAP" emergency, so it's better to wait for the baby to be born if birth is imminent and transfer the baby to NICU if aspiration occurs.

That does look like meconium staining to me in the fingernails, it is not unusual at all for babies who are over-cooked to pass meconium. It's one of the many reasons why a lot of MW's generally don't like to do homebirths past 42 weeks.

I thought NR Anna and Christopher had been married awhile before they got pregnant? Not as long as Melanie and Nathan but maybe close to a year?

NR Anna and Christopher married in October 2010. My guess is they didn't officially consummate their marriage for a long time because Christopher probably had guilt issues over even touching his own penis, much less actually using it for a purpose other than peeing. Just my opinion, of course.

She and the baby really do look beautiful. I hope little Joshua escapes one day, and makes sure his cousins come with him.

NR Anna and Christopher married in October 2010. My guess is they didn't officially consummate their marriage for a long time because Christopher probably had guilt issues over even touching his own penis, much less actually using it for a purpose other than peeing. Just my opinion, of course.

Exactly what I was thinking!

As someone who never did get pregnant I sure hope no one thought that about us. And I don't think it of NR Anna and Christopher either. Not everyone is a fertile Myrtle.

It took them quite awhile to get pregnant the first time so I think it will be awhile before number 2.

There were married 10 months when she got pregnant. Is that "quite a while" in fundy world? I wouldn't consider it that.

There were married 10 months when she got pregnant. Is that "quite a while" in fundy world? I wouldn't consider it that.

In the fun die world I think that's quite awhile. A new wife is allowed maybe 1 or 2 periods before people start wondering.

That description describes pretty much every Christian Fundamentalist male and plenty of them get their wives pregnant before the first anniversary so the guilt or can't figure sex out theory does not hold water with me.

That's pretty much an eternity in fundy time. After all, 10 months into a marriage, she could be getting ready to birth number one. After 20ish months into a marriage, their first born should be several months old and she should be announcing number 2. If not, clearly "god isn't choosing to bless them"

That description describes pretty much every Christian Fundamentalist male and plenty of them get their wives pregnant before the first anniversary so the guilt or can't figure sex out theory does not hold water with me.

And given you don't need penetration to get pregnant it doesn't hold water with me either. Yes, I have a friend who got pregnant without penetration, her first time. Very traumatic, as she did not want sex. Her OB/GYN said he sees this situation of no penetration pregnancy a few times/year. She gave the baby up for adoption.

And given you don't need penetration to get pregnant it doesn't hold water with me either. Yes, I have a friend who got pregnant without penetration, her first time. Very traumatic, as she did not want sex. Her OB/GYN said he sees this situation of no penetration pregnancy a few times/year. She gave the baby up for adoption.

I very very very much doubt a Maxwell would indulge in mutual masturbation or any other non intercourse way of getting semen into a vagina. Sex within marriage is sanctified (as long as you don't have too much fun, of course) , but they have been told since childhood that masturbation is of the devil.

Congratulations to NR Anna, and I hope Melanie has a boy too so the cousins will be allowed to grow up playing together.

Archived