IGNORED

Anna is 41 wks and Mel is 37 wks, new blog.

Justme

90 degrees out and two of the sons are wearing that crap on their backs? WTF did they need to all bring?

Seriously, you'd think they'd have figured out how to travel light. I can't imagine either of the little girls would want to ride in that thing for very long when it's that hot.

Stick 'em in a stroller and pack all the crap you need to bring on the bottom of the stroller. Lots easier if you ask me.

I'm remembering the 100 pounds (okay, more like 55 pounds) of stuff I had to bring for my client when I did home care. he was trached and bringing him to the zoo was a huge ordeal, and I was exhausted by the end of the day from pushing him in his w/c along with all of his equipment. He was 85 pounds, plus 55 pounds of equipment, including tube feeding, meds, ambu bag, emergency trach supplies, and an O2 tank.

For him, we HAD to carry all that stuff, but it drove me nuts to see parents of healthy kids lugging who would lug all that crap around with them that's so totally not needed.

Some of it is overzealousness for SURE on the part of the parent. My husband packs enough diapers for 4 days, 4 outfit changes at minimum.... Makes. Me. Crazy. Its like, we can't go to the grocery store without a Sherpa helper to carry all our crap or something. O_O

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
90 degrees out and two of the sons are wearing that crap on their backs? WTF did they need to all bring?

Seriously, you'd think they'd have figured out how to travel light. I can't imagine either of the little girls would want to ride in that thing for very long when it's that hot.

Stick 'em in a stroller and pack all the crap you need to bring on the bottom of the stroller. Lots easier if you ask me.

I'm remembering the 100 pounds (okay, more like 55 pounds) of stuff I had to bring for my client when I did home care. he was trached and bringing him to the zoo was a huge ordeal, and I was exhausted by the end of the day from pushing him in his w/c along with all of his equipment. He was 85 pounds, plus 55 pounds of equipment, including tube feeding, meds, ambu bag, emergency trach supplies, and an O2 tank.

For him, we HAD to carry all that stuff, but it drove me nuts to see parents of healthy kids lugging who would lug all that crap around with them that's so totally not needed.

I'm sure the Maxwells had plenty of useful supplies in those packs -- you know, all of their books (including the Moody series), chore packs, tracts, One Ton Onramp materials -- you NEVER know when you might find a marketing opportunity! You can just imagine how many times they "witnessed" at the f-ing zoo, right? And if you find a new fan, you've gotta push your wares!!!!!!

Everyone that I have ever known to have a scheduled induction or c-section was at 37 or 38 weeks. My 2 youngest kids were scheduled for 37 weeks each (one of them came at 35 weeks).

I bet your kids are older than 2 years. IIRC, in April 2010, the federal government instituted new guidelines for when doctors can do elective inductions and c-sections, and started monitoring - with possible negative consequences on hospitals - the outcomes of inductions done for convenience reasons prior to 39 weeks. There were just too many near-term babies being born who needed extra care, and health care officials felt that outcomes could be improved by changing how soon elective deliveries could be done.

Someone I know actually had a scheduled C-section at 38 weeks even. Then her insurance wouldn't cover it, but it would cover an elective induction. She wound up needing the C-section anyway, but insurance did cover it because it wasn't scheduled.

This was New Year's, this year.

I bet your kids are older than 2 years. IIRC, in April 2010, the federal government instituted new guidelines for when doctors can do elective inductions and c-sections, and started monitoring - with possible negative consequences on hospitals - the outcomes of inductions done for convenience reasons prior to 39 weeks. There were just too many near-term babies being born who needed extra care, and health care officials felt that outcomes could be improved by changing how soon elective deliveries could be done.

This is interesting, I didn't know that -- thanks Snickerdoodle! I know both my sister's kids were born via elective C-section because her doctor was going on vacation. And maybe this legislation will cut down on the "convenience" of having C-sections (no surprises, no ring of fire, no stretched out vajayjay!). Unless this legislation doesn't apply to the wealthy who can hire private doctors to do it for them. Honestly, before I was ever pregnant with my kids, I hoped to have a C-section because I couldn't imagine giving birth naturally (all the labor and deliver pain scared the crap out of me). But watching my friends recover from C-sections has been enlightening. And the costs to insurance are much higher for the surgery, anesthesia, hospital room, etc.

Someone I know actually had a scheduled C-section at 38 weeks even. Then her insurance wouldn't cover it, but it would cover an elective induction. She wound up needing the C-section anyway, but insurance did cover it because it wasn't scheduled.

This was New Year's, this year.

And what totally sucks about that situation your friend had was that she was induced (which is hard enough), and then had to have the C-section anyway. It's just too bad insurance gets to help make those decisions for you and that she even had to worry about it. So her stupid insurance company paid for the induction but not for the C?

Who invented that stoopid heart over the bump shit? It just irritates the fuck out of me, every pregnant fundy has one of those pictures posted.

aaaaah! I kept wondering why they all had that awkward hand position on their bellies! lol

Yes, they were born in 2005 (the 35 weeker) and 2007 (37 weeker). Just to be clear, my daughter was scheduled for a c-section at 37 weeks, but I went into labor (again!) at 35 weeks, so they did the c-section.

I don't like inductions for convenience, the OB that I had with my youngest loved to induce just about everyone! I thought it was crazy, he did it to keep his weekends clear!

It's Sunday afternoon and there are 28 comments. Guess Stevie is breaking is "no blogging on Sunday" rule.... :o

Yes, they were born in 2005 (the 35 weeker) and 2007 (37 weeker). Just to be clear, my daughter was scheduled for a c-section at 37 weeks, but I went into labor (again!) at 35 weeks, so they did the c-section.

I don't like inductions for convenience, the OB that I had with my youngest loved to induce just about everyone! I thought it was crazy, he did it to keep his weekends clear!

Well, and at what point are the OB/GYNs not held responsible for recommending these scheduled inductions and C-sections? Seems like the patient shouldn't have to pay the price when the insurance companies won't just so the doc can participate in a golf tournament or have a weekend free. OB/GYNs are one of the highest-paid of physicians. I can understand there are many times a scheduled induction or C would be necessary (I have a friend who has genital herpes so giving birth vaginally has it's own risks, so her C's were scheduled prior to really any chance of her going into labor), but I still think the onus should be on the doctors, not the patient.

It's Sunday afternoon and there are 28 comments. Guess Stevie is breaking is "no blogging on Sunday" rule.... :o

Oooo, great news! I must pop over and see what everyone is saying! You don't suppose (gasp!) they didn't make it to church today with the elderly due to it being a holiday weekend, do you?

Well, and at what point are the OB/GYNs not held responsible for recommending these scheduled inductions and C-sections? Seems like the patient shouldn't have to pay the price when the insurance companies won't just so the doc can participate in a golf tournament or have a weekend free. OB/GYNs are one of the highest-paid of physicians. I can understand there are many times a scheduled induction or C would be necessary (I have a friend who has genital herpes so giving birth vaginally has it's own risks, so her C's were scheduled prior to really any chance of her going into labor), but I still think the onus should be on the doctors, not the patient.

My c-sections are medically necessary. I have scar tissue on my cervix and can't dilate past 3 (33 hours of induced labor with the first (20 of those hours at 3!), 10 hours of labor with number 2 while they decided what to do, both got me to 3.

I think that inductions for convenience should end, because it's crazy! But I also think that making a woman labor for 33 hours with no sleep (Oh, I passed out once - not restful) and no food or drink (ice chips don't cut it!) and think that she might be able to push a baby out is cruel. I'm sure some women can do it, but there is no way that I would have been able to, I couldn't form a sentance, much less push a watermelon out!

And what totally sucks about that situation your friend had was that she was induced (which is hard enough), and then had to have the C-section anyway. It's just too bad insurance gets to help make those decisions for you and that she even had to worry about it. So her stupid insurance company paid for the induction but not for the C?

Yes. Well, they did pay for the needed C-section as well. What gets me is that she seemed to know all along she'd wind up getting a C-section, and only went through with the induction because she had little other choice.

I'm not sure why she scheduled the C-section in the first place though. Makes me wonder if there was a chance of something going wrong if she went into labor naturally. She didn't seem to have the smoothest pregnancy, and it was her third (but her first child). It wasn't for convenience, from what I gather.

Sometimes the dr can tell beforehand that there isn't enough clearance for the baby to get out. They might schedule an induction then for a trial of labor to confirm that events won't proceed. If the baby were breech or some other reason like that requiring a c-section, I can't at the moment think of a rationale for trying an induction first.

Bad Steve, do you not remember that this is the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

My favorite comment;

Melanie and Anna Marie, you both radiate Jesus!

Bad Steve, do you not remember that this is the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

My favorite comment;

The Jesus comment -- is there a chance that was one of us? Or are their blog followers just so brainwashed that they think the radiating beauty is Jesus filling their veins? Ugh.

I noticed this comment, too;

Karen W. says:

May 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Oh, and just watch — they might just have their babies on the same day. Now THAT would be an exciting day for your family. And a great new idea for your book series, Sarah! :)

Karen W., why must you encourage her?

The Jesus comment -- is there a chance that was one of us? Or are their blog followers just so brainwashed that they think the radiating beauty is Jesus filling their veins? Ugh.

Is it cold when Jesus fills your veins? Morphine is, and I don't like that feeling, so I don't want Jesus if my veins will be cold!

I noticed this comment, too;

Karen W. says:

May 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Oh, and just watch — they might just have their babies on the same day. Now THAT would be an exciting day for your family. And a great new idea for your book series, Sarah! :)

Karen W., why must you encourage her?

Oh, can you imagine -- Sarah might have to actually write a book on childbirth! Bwah ha ha! I'd love to see the illustrations on that one!

Like out of that 70's After School Special on TV (okay, I'm totally dating myself here): "My Mom's Having a Baby". Does anyone but me remember that?

37 weeks is considered full-term IF labor is spontaneous. It is NOT considered full-term for purposes of elective inductions and c-sections, and even ACOG recommends against inductions and c-sections that aren't medically needed until at least the 39th week because of this. The risk of serious complications of death for the baby drops 50% between 37 and 39 weeks. That gestation time is vital.

So don't go to the doctor the day you're 37 weeks and demand an induction because you think your baby is fully-cooked. If labor hasn't started, there's a good chance the lungs aren't mature enough yet. There's too much liability involved for the doctors since electively delivering earlier than 39 weeks is known to drastically increase problems and NICU stays. It was accepted as "normal" for a while, but is now not allowed. Only an absolutely selfish person would want a delivery that early that isn't needed. The baby needs that time to finish gestating!

I have to admit that I get a little envious when I see big preggo belly's like the Maxwell ladies. I carried my daughter kind of small and all over my belly rather than like having a huge ball under my shirt. Honestly, I felt I never really looked that pregnant, especially when I went to get a bridesmaids dress that I was wearing to a wedding altered at 8 months along and the seamstress didn't even realize I was pregnant until I told her :? I always wished I had the big ol' belly!

Me too. I posted a picture on a "guess how far I am" site, and I had people saying I didn't' look pregnant at all or looked like I just ate a big lunch. Daughter was born at 40 weeks and 1 day on the dot a couple days later. I wanted the big ol' belly and instead no one ever believed I was pregnant, even when found a way to not-so-casually drop it into conversation with strangers. The day we went to get our Christmas tree my husband asked someone to help load it on the car, and this lady nearby said I should have helped instead, and I told her I was pregnant and due that day, and she said I was lying because I was too thin. Labor started later that night.

All the discomfort, none of the perks of "rude" questions. You hate the comments when you get them, and wish for them when you don't.

But I was back in my pre-preggo jeans the day after, so I guess I can brag about that!

Me too. I posted a picture on a "guess how far I am" site, and I had people saying I didn't' look pregnant at all or looked like I just ate a big lunch. Daughter was born at 40 weeks and 1 day on the dot a couple days later. I wanted the big ol' belly and instead no one ever believed I was pregnant, even when found a way to not-so-casually drop it into conversation with strangers. The day we went to get our Christmas tree my husband asked someone to help load it on the car, and this lady nearby said I should have helped instead, and I told her I was pregnant and due that day, and she said I was lying because I was too thin. Labor started later that night.

All the discomfort, none of the perks of "rude" questions. You hate the comments when you get them, and wish for them when you don't.

But I was back in my pre-preggo jeans the day after, so I guess I can brag about that!

Wish I had had y'alls problems. With more than one swimming around inside I looked like a blimp.

I was back in my pre-preggo jeans 3 days post-delivery, too. Only gained 12 pounds during my first pregnancy and my baby was 7lb 3oz, so you can do the math there. My OB was freaked out that I wasn't gaining weight as I "should" be, but I was losing and baby was gaining. Yeah, it was fun to go to Babies R Us on day #3 post partum and people asking me if my baby was adopted. Sigh.

There are some doctors who will "fudge" the medical records a bit to make it look like the induction or c-section was medically necessary, so that gets them off the hook. But you'd be amazed how many patients don't ask questions or research their options. I'm a big proponent of informed consent, and I don't think most patient are made aware that early elective inductions frequently end up as c-section deliveries, because the cervix just isn't ready.

Archived