IGNORED

40K Moms Bitch About JCP catalog That Features Lesbian...

lilwriter85

The gals at 40 k moms are pissed about the May catalog that features a lesbian couple and their daughter

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/IssueDetail.asp?id=453

Issue Details

Don't Count Your JCP Chickens Before They Hatch

JC Penney has laid low in the month of April by airing two different commercials that portrayed them as remaining neutral in the cultural war. Even though JCP seemed to have changed their approach, their May catalog shows they are making a strong effort otherwise. On pages ten and eleven, under the title "Freedom of Expression," you'll find "Wendi and her partner Maggie and daughters" and again "Wendi, daughters Raven and Clover, and partner Maggie" in text. In the picture both women are wearing wedding bands.

Families who once supported JCP and hold open store credit cards or are on their mailing list received the May catalog yesterday. Today, customers are able to view the May catalog online on the JC Penney website under May books. (Click on image for larger view)

OMM has so many issues to cover we had no choice but to move on earlier in the year but have decided to revisit this issue and speak out again. It is obvious that JCP would rather take sides than remain neutral. JCP will hear from the other side so they need to hear from us as well.

Last time OMM contacted JC Penney store managers, we were brushed off. Some even experienced in person the store manager saying "Thank you" and walking off while their customer and our concerned members were in mid-sentence. OMM has been told that JCP corporate office told store managers to say "Thank you" and then walk away. If they want our business, then we will not be ignored!

The store managers are the ones who can communicate to corporate for their customers. Managers will not want to be in the middle so when we politely express our concern to them, they should realize that they are the ones taking all the complaints and corporate is not having to answer for the decisions they are making. Managers will pass along customers’ frustrations, and their own, to corporate because they will likely get tired of their game. Managers will also have to answer to corporate for the loss in sales from traditional families, so we will give them the proof they need to back this up when we tell them we will no longer be able to shop with them until they take a neutral stand.

TAKE ACTION

Since the corporate office doesn't consider your call important, please call, or visit, your local store manager. Local managers are more likely to listen to your concerns and pass them along to the corporate office.

Please be kind when you ask them to tell corporate that they should remain neutral in the cultural war. What was the purpose in stating on page eleven that Wendi and Maggie are partners?

You can find the phone number of your local store here, or in your local phone directory.

Normally, OMM has a prewritten letter ready to send from our email server, but JCP blocks emails from our server. You may send your own email to: jcpcorpcomm@jcpenney.com.

NOTE: If you see a commercial or program which is offensive, email us the information. Many of you have done this, and it is very helpful.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never would have known those women were gay if OMM didn't make such a big deal of it or care. Now I do care. I care how I'm going to have to get up off my ass and drive to JCP and see what cute tops they have. That is a 20 minute drive!

OMM has so many issues to cover we had no choice but to move on earlier in the year but have decided to revisit this issue and speak out again.

Translation: "Earlier in the year, we went after JCP and a huge celebrity. We got our sorry, bigoted asses handed to us on a national level, so we tucked our tails between our legs and ran. This time we've decided to go after JCP and a no-name family in the hopes that we won't get near as much blowback."

Last time OMM contacted JC Penney store managers, we were brushed off. Some even experienced in person the store manager saying "Thank you" and walking off while their customer and our concerned members were in mid-sentence. OMM has been told that JCP corporate office told store managers to say "Thank you" and then walk away. If they want our business, then we will not be ignored!

First, the thought of JCP employees thanking these harpies, then walking away, leaving them standing there like assholes fills my heart with glee. As for the bolded part--the woman(I forget her name) who runs 40K Moms is turning out to be quite the bunny boiler, isn't she?

Translation: "Earlier in the year, we went after JCP and a huge celebrity. We got our sorry, bigoted asses handed to us on a national level, so we tucked our tails between our legs and ran. This time we've decided to go after JCP and a no-name family in the hopes that we won't get near as much blowback."

First, the thought of JCP employees thanking these harpies, then walking away, leaving them standing there like assholes fills my heart with glee. As for the bolded part--the woman(I forget her name) who runs 40K Moms is turning out to be quite the bunny boiler, isn't she?

I think all FJers should e-mail JCP and thank them for featuring members of the LGBTQ community!

Like I said in a previous thread, once I move closer to JCP, I'm going on a shopping spree. :twisted:

That whole letter makes my stomach turn. I have a 5 year old son who is starting Kindergarten in August (single mom...not a "traditional family" either...will they be going after us next?), guess I know where I'll be buying his school clothes.

So they didn't even consider how many managers might be in full support of being inclusive of same-sex couples and so are willing to half listen to bigots and then walk away. They didn't consider that for every bigot who won't shop there anymore there are supporters or equality who will do more of their shopping there now so that JCP might see an overall increase in sales. The bigots think they have that much sway in a war they are losing.

I'm a small business owner right now and don't walk about it often. I make costumes and gowns, and I've always been welcoming of anyone, but since I've been more open about my support of gays and lesbians, my sales to drag queens has gone up. I don't have many sales to those who are "god bless you" every other sentence, but so? Aside from just a moral standpoint, from a business standpoint, it's a smart business move to be openly inclusive.

If JCP backs down to bigots, they will lose far more in sales than the bigots will be able to make up.

That's a song cue if I ever heard one!

pv9Zf4EYP18

I sent JCP an email, expressing how happy I am that they've stuck to their guns and how I am going to make an effort to shop there more. This makes me happy.

As for 40K moms, they're like obnoxious flies. They have no real power and don't really do anything (although they can possibly spread disease!), but are just a nuisance. Also that is completely laughable that they think appealing to store managers will do more good. All the retail store mgrs I know, would walk away rolling their eyes and would never bother passing that drivel up the chain.

I'm pretty much a regular at JCP.

Maybe, just maybe, JCP doesn't want their kind of business. Did they ever think of that? I think ignoring ignorant people is often the best way to deal with them.

These customers are the sort who make work hell for retail workers.

QFT. We get a biweekly printout of customer comments at my place of work, and this kind of fuckery abounds. We once had someone write a pages-long screed because some t-shirts in our catalog were arranged in a peace sign.

I need some new capris, and maybe a couple of cute tops. Oh, and some new walking shoes, as I've got an 8k coming up soon and my old ones--which I bought at JCP last fall--are getting a bit past their use-by date. I think a trip to JCP is now on the books for this week! :dance:

In the past I have rarely shopped at JCP. However, I found a really cute swimsuit (well, it didn't make me want to barf when I looked in the mirror) there.

I need some new towels and will probably pick some up there next week.

JCP tends to have really big petite sections, and as a very petite person, I appreciate that. Most of my work clothes are from them.

Now if I only lived closer to one; it's 80 miles from here. (Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere. It is beautiful nowhere, though!) And there's no way I can buy clothes online, I'm too weird to fit. So I will make every effort to get to one in late August when I will be visiting family in the Portland area.

I think a trip to JCP is in the works for this week, especially since I'm running low on my Bare Minerals foundation, and they have Sephora inside.

Never heard of JCP until now but I'm feeling a strong desire to support them. Do they do overseas mail order?

Good grief! Are these moms going to start asking their servers at restaurants or cashier at the grocery check-out line if they support/are gay? Because if you are going to boycott the "gay supporters" you have to do it across the board. I would like to post that on their site and point out that they would have some slim pickin's to choose from.

Ignorant up-tights!

Archived