IGNORED

J'Slaves Writing a Book

GeoBQn

I actually really enjoyed their book.... It did get me worried about std's though. LOL. I feel like they failed to express that even though one is married to a Christian man, they can still get an std. A woman at my church caught HPV from her husband (Because, you know, there's not really a way to test it in men) which resulted in her having to have part of her uterus (I believe) removed and caused her a lot of pain. I just wish that they would acknowledge that waiting until marriage doesn't ALWAYS mean that you're safe. I know that they're talking about two virgins having sex, but they didn't really make it too clear so I feel like there will be a lot of girls out there thinking "Well, if I wait, i'll automatically be safe". No.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually really enjoyed their book.... It did get me worried about std's though. LOL. I feel like they failed to express that even though one is married to a Christian man, they can still get an std. A woman at my church caught HPV from her husband (Because, you know, there's not really a way to test it in men) which resulted in her having to have part of her uterus (I believe) removed and caused her a lot of pain. I just wish that they would acknowledge that waiting until marriage doesn't ALWAYS mean that you're safe. I know that they're talking about two virgins having sex, but they didn't really make it too clear so I feel like there will be a lot of girls out there thinking "Well, if I wait, i'll automatically be safe". No.

They couldn't do that though since I'd bet my kidneys that the Duggarettes know next to nothing about STD's in any meaningful sense.

I actually do think that Jessa will end up marrying Ben- because I don't think that the Duggar's would want the stain of a failed courtship hanging over their family. They've gone on and on about how courtship is so perfect and the right way to do things that there's no room for anything that might call that into question.

Wait, I can't tell if you're being for real or sarcastic. You're new, so I feel the need to be nice

- But you enjoyed it? The writing style would bore a 6th grade dropout.

- The only thing you took issue with is the STD part? First off, just because 2 devout virgin Christians get married, this is NO guarantee neither person could become unfaithful at some point

I have A LOT of thoughts about the book, which I listened to in the car while driving around town. It was actually a nice break from the Beauty & the Beast or Sofia the First soundtracks. I've been thinking about writing down all my thoughts at some point, bc y'all are the only people that would appreciate it! (Mr. Hope gets a little tired of hearing my rants. And you know, I'm a good submissive wife so...)

Wait, I can't tell if you're being for real or sarcastic. You're new, so I feel the need to be nice

- But you enjoyed it? The writing style would bore a 6th grade dropout.

- The only thing you took issue with is the STD part? First off, just because 2 devout virgin Christians get married, this is NO guarantee neither person could become unfaithful at some point

I have A LOT of thoughts about the book, which I listened to in the car while driving around town. It was actually a nice break from the Beauty & the Beast or Sofia the First soundtracks. I've been thinking about writing down all my thoughts at some point, bc y'all are the only people that would appreciate it! (Mr. Hope gets a little tired of hearing my rants. And you know, I'm a good submissive wife so...)

I kind of enjoyed it, in a snarky, roll my eyes kind of way. Just like I enjoy the show. I also found it interesting that they openly endorsed Journey to the Heart and ATI Character Qualities. I'm wondering if they are regretting that now..

But the overwhelming impression I came away with was that it was the work of sheltered young women who had no idea about the issues they were writing about and who were just parroting what they had been taught, with absolutely no analysis or independent thought.

The article says Michelle birthed all of her children naturally,

Do c-sections count as natural births?

Exactly what I was wondering!

Exactly what I was wondering!

Me too! Although, my 2 c-sections were very natural, as in, my scars are very natural.

I kind of enjoyed it, in a snarky, roll my eyes kind of way. Just like I enjoy the show. I also found it interesting that they openly endorsed Journey to the Heart and ATI Character Qualities. I'm wondering if they are regretting that now..

But the overwhelming impression I came away with was that it was the work of sheltered young women who had no idea about the issues they were writing about and who were just parroting what they had been taught, with absolutely no analysis or independent thought.

Yes, I must say, I enjoyed the book. In the same way I enjoy watching documentaries about The Manson Family & the FLDS. I sit there with my eyes wide & thinking, "What the fuck?"

Why do the 'older girls' have to tell us about Joy getting the period talk? Poor Joy is probably really embarrassed to have that in the book.

Interesting that they talk outwardly about something so personal. Not modest.

What was said of this, anyways?

I hope they gave her the talk BEFORE she actually had her period. Or that she at least had an idea of it with four older sisters.

I remember being freaked out when mine came, and my mom had talked to me about it five years before AND my evil public school had given us a puberty talk. I think they used the Disney film. I cant imagine how I would have felt if nobody told me til after the fact.

According to the book, when they "heard about the concept of purity rings" the older four girls got given rings from Michelle's jewellery box. Jana's is a sapphire surrounded by tiny diamonds, Jill's is a pearl, Jessa's is a solid gold band and Jinger's is heart shaped with a small diamond.

When JoyAnna was 12 she got a day out with JimBob and Michelle to pick her ring, then got taken to lunch where JimBob told her all about the commitment she had apparently chosen to make to God to remain pure and accountable to her parents until marriage.

Thanks for that. I feel slightly better knowing that not all of the Duggar girls/women were given pearl purity rings, and at least had some say in choosing the type and style they wanted. The idea of the pearl still squicks me out beyond belief, though.

I hope they gave her the talk BEFORE she actually had her period. Or that she at least had an idea of it with four older sisters.

I remember being freaked out when mine came, and my mom had talked to me about it five years before AND my evil public school had given us a puberty talk. I think they used the Disney film. I cant imagine how I would have felt if nobody told me til after the fact.

With as many older sisters as Joy has, I'm sure she already had a basic understanding.

Mine came before we ever watched that video in 5th grade, and my mother never told me a thing. I still wasn't entirely sure what was going on. All my mother told me was "go get a pad, and see what happens."

The article says Michelle birthed all of her children naturally,

Do c-sections count as natural births?

I think in this case they mean she didn't adopt any children or have any fertility assistance like IVF.

I think in this case they mean she didn't adopt any children or have any fertility assistance like IVF.

Probably. The fertility assistance being "unnatural" is a bit of a pet peeve. It's not unheard of for parents of multiples to be asked if their children are natural or not. :? Uh, yes. They're humans. They're "natural".

What happened to the person who was reviewing the book, chapter by chapter? I don't want to buy the book but I'm interested to find out more about the book.

What happened to the person who was reviewing the book, chapter by chapter? I don't want to buy the book but I'm interested to find out more about the book.

We had a death in the family, and I have a paper to write for English. Next week is Spring Break, so when I get back from little rock Monday I will type it out in between packing.

We had a death in the family, and I have a paper to write for English. Next week is Spring Break, so when I get back from little rock Monday I will type it out in between packing.

Take care of yourself.

Probably. The fertility assistance being "unnatural" is a bit of a pet peeve. It's not unheard of for parents of multiples to be asked if their children are natural or not. :? Uh, yes. They're humans. They're "natural".

Aren't all children no matter how they're conceived gifts from God?

No, only if they're being born into a Christian family, preferably with white, conservative voting, middle income parents.

Other babies are either punishments for premarital sex or irresponsible and a burden on government(all those Dem voters who bludge off the government and use public schooling and maybe even welfare). Or both.

We learn that WND caught up with the Duggar daughters at CPAC, which is kind of like a rightwing BronyCon but with more furtive shameful gay sex, and notes that the sisters were “attired modestly but charmingly in floor-length skirts,†unlike all the slutty slut girls on teevee these days.

I died when I read that.

Archived