IGNORED

"Damn immigrants need to learn proper english!"

xReems

Point taken, and maybe to some extent you're right. I will tone it down, and try to stay away from threads like this where I know my expressing my point of view leads to nothing but pointless arguing and name calling. I know, I know I have said that before, and you have no reason believe me. But I will try.

Genie, I don't want you to stay away from threads in which your views cause arguments. I want you to think.

I want you to think about WHY your views cause arguments.

I want you to examine your thought processes, the thought processes of those around you. Then I want you to think, critically, about your views and the views of those around you.

Talk to us. PM me if you want to, I don't mind. For all the muck slinging around here, I do not think you are a bad person. You seem desperate for us to think that you are nice. If you were a shit head then you probably wouldn't care. But you live in a small world, surrounded by people who share your views. This forum and others like it is not small. You can call us liberals if you like, but we are people who have been out there and seen things from the point of view of others. That changes things.

You live by your own admission in a conservative area. You do not travel out of your country. The people you know and meet are like you, share your views, share your opinions and share your outlook. Well you joined this forum and I will say Welcome to the real world Sweetie.

You need to think, examine, and most of all learn. Then when you've done that, if you so desire you can go back to your community and get them to think, examine and learn. And you know something, you do that you and your community will be better for it.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just shocked that she called Free Jinger a group of cyber bullies that is as mean and crazy as fundies and that she was only here to be a shit stirring troll and now she is just going to other threads like she never said any of that.

I'm having flashbacks to AD...

Guest Anonymous
I'm just shocked that she called Free Jinger a group of cyber bullies that is as mean and crazy as fundies and that she was only here to be a shit stirring troll and now she is just going to other threads like she never said any of that.

She seems to have a pathological need for attention - any kind of attention - and as soon as she is put on ignore, or the conversation turns to something else, she makes a faux apology and asks to be allowed back in to 'play'.

She can do whatever she wants; I won't know from now on because I have foe'd her.

I'm glad this topic is still alive as I've thought a lot about it this weekend. I was on a retreat with 11 other women, most of whom I had met previously to the weekend. One woman, however, most of us had never met.

About six of us, including this woman, took our dinners out onto the deck Friday as it was a lovely evening. This woman began talking about herself and her job (she works for a very large insurance company headquartered in my city). Then she launched into a rant about all the Indians she works with, how they don't speak "the language", their food smells bad, they are "hard to understand" , they "eat the same thing every day", how they sometimes speak to each other in their own language, which she finds highly offensive, and how they are stealing Americans' jobs.

:shock:

I have to say, it was really ugly. I mean, the words this woman was spewing were just repulsive. The rest of us began by trying to civilly point out her erroneous assumptions and calmly explaining things to her. She took absolutely no cues from the rest of us that we were not on board with her bullshit, and she just continued to spew. I challenged her pretty forcefully, although I did not raise my voice, but spoke very assertively. I felt my blood pressure rising and finally had to either get up and leave or I would have gotten ugly with her in a big way. I got up and left as I did not want to disrespect our host. She ended up sitting there by herself.

I avoided her for the rest of the weekend, and went out of my way not to have any further conversations with her. But it really made me think about the fact that there are a lot of people out there who still think like her and geniebell, who are either willfully ignorant or proudly racist. I don't think they realize how truly ugly they are when they speak this way. Their contempt and disdain for people different from themselves seems to be a very defining facet of their identity. Between my job and friends and acquaintences, I don't really hang with people who think in these ways, so it was a real eye-opener for me.

Guest Anonymous
Do you know how much "out-and-about" practice it takes to become functional in a language, much less accent-less?

Do you plan on learning a language perfectly and achieving native fluency before you travel to that language's homeland?

Are you referring to those questions?

1) No, I don't. I never meant speaking without an accent. But again, I see your point.

2) Yes, I want to learn French and possibly German now that I think about it. I would like nothing more than to make a long visit the birth places of my ancestors in Sedan, France and Mannheim, Germany. But flying & Meniere's Disease are two things that don't go together. But who knows, maybe I'll get that chance. And of course I would like to learn Spanish as well.

I will tone it down, and try to stay away from threads like this where I know my expressing my point of view leads to nothing but pointless arguing and name calling.

I can't speak for anybody else but I waited a long time before I decided you were totally intractable and decided to give up on reason and turn to namecalling.

Your problem isn't your opinion, your problem is your total unwillingness to consider any point of view than your own.

She seems to have a pathological need for attention - any kind of attention - and as soon as she is put on ignore, or the conversation turns to something else, she makes a faux apology and asks to be allowed back in to 'play'.

She can do whatever she wants; I won't know from now on because I have foe'd her.

She hasn't even made an apology for all this.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, the shit stirring troll and cyber bullying part I do apologize for. It had nothing to do with the topics being discussed, and I was kinda under the influence when I wrote that part. As for needing attention, no, I don't. I have enough going on in my life. I have strong opinions, which others find offensive. For that I won't apologize, just as I don't expect anyone with opinions I don't agree with to apologize. But I will tone it down and try to express my opinions in a less offensive way because it only derails the topic at hand.

Seriously, this is like the second time you have done something like this and you have only been a member since February. You can only do this so many times before people are not willing to forgive and forget.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not asking people to forget, because clearly it's hard to forget when you hear or see things that are offensive. I hear and see offensive things on a daily basis, sometimes you've just got to live and let live. And, yeah, I probably do need to shut my mouth because I have said more than a shit load.

She needs to shut 'er cake oyl an' stop mithering folks. Mardy sod. She's shit 'er pot full, this time.

I fookin luv you missus!

But yeah, I completely agree with Austin, what I said on the other thread for Genie was an attempt for her to take a step back and think. I don't think she's actually trying to be racist. It's just that her views have never gone challenged before and it is down to ignorance.

I want her to really stop and critically think about what she is saying.

It would be nice if she did that Sola, but it looks like she is just going to try and avoid anything that will challenge what she already believes.

Guest Anonymous

"She's shit 'er pot full" was something my grandma once said when she'd had enough of someone .... I was so impressed that my super-nice Grandma-who-NEVER-swore came out with that, it has stayed with me ever since. It is my special occasion phrase... :mrgreen:

"All fur coat and no knickers" is the other Grandma-shocker phrase I have held dear but, alas, it doesn't apply to this occasion. I am sure it will come in handy, one day. Or simply that it will "come in" one day, as they say in Wales.....

Vaguely relevant to foe'd members is my mum's poem, but I don't think it is exclusive to Yorkshire:

As I was walking up the stair

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

Oh, how I wish he'd go away....

I'm not asking people to forget, because clearly it's hard to forget when you hear or see things that are offensive. I hear and see offensive things on a daily basis, sometimes you've just got to live and let live. And, yeah, I probably do need to shut my mouth because I have said more than a shit load.

It's the total lack of empathy that gets me. You see, I see how hard it is for my DH sometimes to communicate effectively. Just saying try to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

Guest Anonymous

It's the total lack of empathy that gets me. You see, I see how hard it is for my DH sometimes to communicate effectively. Just saying try to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

In my world, you've got to live and let live with things that can't be changed (easily), like an accent. Bigotry is entirely unacceptable, ever.

Guest Anonymous

I fookin luv you missus!

But yeah, I completely agree with Austin, what I said on the other thread for Genie was an attempt for her to take a step back and think. I don't think she's actually trying to be racist. It's just that her views have never gone challenged before and it is down to ignorance.

I want her to really stop and critically think about what she is saying.

Yes, you are right, my views have never been challenged like this before, and I said I will tone it down.

Guest Anonymous
"She's shit 'er pot full" was something my grandma once said when she'd had enough of someone .... I was so impressed that my super-nice Grandma-who-NEVER-swore came out with that, it has stayed with me ever since. It is my special occasion phrase... :mrgreen:

"All fur coat and no knickers" is the other Grandma-shocker phrase I have held dear but, alas, it doesn't apply to this occasion. I am sure it will come in handy, one day. Or simply that it will "come in" one day, as they say in Wales.....

Vaguely relevant to foe'd members is my mum's poem, but I don't think it is exclusive to Yorkshire:

As I was walking up the stair

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

Oh, how I wish he'd go away....

And finally.... since this thread has become surreal...

Did you know this one:

I went to the pictures tomorrow

And got a front seat at the back

A lady, she gave me some chocolate

So I ate it and gave it her back....

Yes, the "I don't care about those people, they aren't my problem." attitude is really sad. She is supposed to be a Christian, yet shows a distinct lack of Christ's love. Jesus would have never looked at an immigrant struggling to work two jobs, care for a family and learn a better accent and say "Well, it isn't my problem."

Dude, that Geniebelle is one aggro kook. This thread has been really gnarly, but the posts where people were all talking Yorkshire and shit were really sick.

[/my attempt at local surfer dialect]

Guest Anonymous
Dude, that Geniebelle is one aggro kook. This thread has been really gnarly, but the posts where people were all talking Yorkshire and shit were really sick.

[/my attempt at local surfer dialect]

"Yorkshire and shit".... is that one dialect or two? :lol:

"Yorkshire and shit".... is that one dialect or two? :lol:

Dude, I'm not even sure.

Also, is it bad that I miss Geniebelle's mooning smiley?

Ooooh, I find the mooning smiley - must post once more for old times sake. Then close window quickly so the teenager cannot see and call me immature.

:obscene-buttsway:

Archived