IGNORED

"Damn immigrants need to learn proper english!"

xReems

But what you said was "It's not my problem" how was that showing compassion and the love of Christ?

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

The foe button, plus the effects of a few glasses of sloe gin, makes for a very entertaining thread.... Brava FG, for your commitment. ;)

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I apologize for coming back to this after so long, but I've been away and I didn't see anyone else address it. If they did and I missed it, I apologize. "I was drunk"/"I was high" is an excuse that is frequently trotted out when someone acts like a jackass on the internet but doesn't want to own their behavior. It's right up there with "It wasn't me, it was my cousin/little brother/cat" or "I was hacked." I'm not really buying it.

If it is true, then you need to get some help. If you are frequently under the influence of drugs or alcohol and it affects you to the extent that you say horrible things that you wouldn't normally say, then you really need assistance from professionals and I hope you will seek it out. Addiction is terrible.

That said, you have already been (grudgingly) given a second chance by many posters here after your first cursing freak out and subsequent breakdown. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. It doesn't matter what kind of person you *say* you are, what matters is the kind of person you prove yourself to be. You have proven yourself to be a bigoted hot mess. How many times are people supposed to give you the benefit of the doubt? You obviously want to be a member of this community but when you're confronted by people (which happens to all of us here) you refuse to reflect on what you might be saying that's wrong because you'd rather lose your shit all over the place. That's a big fucking problem. Hell, you aligned yourself with actual trolls of the "force a woman to have an abortion" variety in your zealous pursuit of sticking it to the hive vagina. You have used up your allotment of good faith and made yourself look like a troll, too. If you actually aren't one, which seems unlikely.

FJ is a place where your beliefs are going to be challenged. People are going to tell you that you're wrong. If you can't handle that then you really need to find a new place to spend your internet hang out time. What exactly are you looking for from this forum, anyway? You don't seem to be finding companionship with the posters here. It certainly doesn't seem to be entertaining you or helping you to grow as a person or making you happy.

Now wait a minute. You're jumping to conclusions here. I am not an addict or alcoholic. I have Meniere's Disease (which my doctor has now informed me is bilateral and may require surgery on my other ear). I take one 2mg Valium tablet and 12.5mg Pheneragan up to 3 times per day as needed to treat the intense vertigo, dizziness, and nausea. I monitor my medications very carefully and never take more than the prescribed amount or more often than prescribed. If I get so sick and feel the medications aren't working, I call my doctor. I don't over medicate. I have never done any type of street drug or "popped pills" (as in abusing prescription drugs), and I don't drink alcohol at all. Anyway, when I said I was under the influence, I was still feeling the effects of the medications that I had taken as prescribed earlier. I probably would have said the same things, but perhaps in a different manner. What I should have done was rest a little longer, but I didn't. My condition and medications have nothing to do with my opinions. Those existed well before I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease and started taking any medication. Sorry for the TMI, I just wanted to set the record straight.

I'm not "jumping to conclusions." You used being under the influence of something as an excuse for your behavior. Now you're saying that the drugs don't/didn't affect your behavior, so being under the influence is neither a reason nor an excuse. According to what you've said now, that was just more bullshit and you're an asshole all on your own.

Guest Anonymous
But what you said was "It's not my problem" how was that showing compassion and the love of Christ?

Ok, maybe it isn't a compassionate or Christ-like thing to say. But that still doesn't change my opinion on this subject.

Ok, maybe it isn't a compassionate or Christ-like thing to say. But that still doesn't change my opinion on this subject.

So you are a Christian who doesn't want to be like Christ? Why bother being a Christian?

:doh: :doh: :doh:

я не понимаю. Что бы сделал Иисус?

I don't think I have heard a Christian come out and flat out say that they don't want to do what Christ commands and that they won't change. Many act like that, but I haven't heard any that would just admit it.

Guest Anonymous
I'm not "jumping to conclusions." You used being under the influence of something as an excuse for your behavior. Now you're saying that the drugs don't/didn't affect your behavior, so being under the influence is neither a reason nor an excuse. According to what you've said now, that was just more bullshit and you're an asshole all on your own.

What I said was I was using under the influence as a reason for typos, and the shit stirring troll comments, I never used it as an excuse for anything else that I said. Did you not read the last 3 sentences of of post?

Okay, I apologize for coming back to this after so long, but I've been away and I didn't see anyone else address it. If they did and I missed it, I apologize. "I was drunk"/"I was high" is an excuse that is frequently trotted out when someone acts like a jackass on the internet but doesn't want to own their behavior. It's right up there with "It wasn't me, it was my cousin/little brother/cat" or "I was hacked." I'm not really buying it.

If it is true, then you need to get some help. If you are frequently under the influence of drugs or alcohol and it affects you to the extent that you say horrible things that you wouldn't normally say, then you really need assistance from professionals and I hope you will seek it out. Addiction is terrible.

That said, you have already been (grudgingly) given a second chance by many posters here after your first cursing freak out and subsequent breakdown. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. It doesn't matter what kind of person you *say* you are, what matters is the kind of person you prove yourself to be. You have proven yourself to be a bigoted hot mess. How many times are people supposed to give you the benefit of the doubt? You obviously want to be a member of this community but when you're confronted by people (which happens to all of us here) you refuse to reflect on what you might be saying that's wrong because you'd rather lose your shit all over the place. That's a big fucking problem. Hell, you aligned yourself with actual trolls of the "force a woman to have an abortion" variety in your zealous pursuit of sticking it to the hive vagina. You have used up your allotment of good faith and made yourself look like a troll, too. If you actually aren't one, which seems unlikely.

FJ is a place where your beliefs are going to be challenged. People are going to tell you that you're wrong. If you can't handle that then you really need to find a new place to spend your internet hang out time. What exactly are you looking for from this forum, anyway? You don't seem to be finding companionship with the posters here. It certainly doesn't seem to be entertaining you or helping you to grow as a person or making you happy.

Nice catch, Lissar. I've also noticed on days when she posts bullshit, then when people are properly calling her on it, it seems to be those same days people are calling her on bullshit that she disproportionately brings up any health concerns (multiple times).

She can say it's not a sympathy ploy, yet I can't see any other reason for bringing it up that often. Sort of like that other troll (custardtart?) who, when people were disagreeing with her opinion, 'name dropped' how she had worked at the world trade centre. When someone called her (i think it was custardtart, definitely not gb) on bringing up 9/11 to try to stop other people from disagreeing with her, she got uber defensive.

Same, same.

Again, nice catch.

LOL, I think that pretty much went over GenieBelle's head, Pomology. If GenieBelle ever does figure out what you mean, she'll probably be banging on about how those damn Cubans or whatever should learn to speak Spanish properly.

Yeah. Pretty much. I think I also went over Anise's head who was chastising me for grammatical errors. The fact that I still make grammatical errors in a language I've been studying for nine years though (okay, not actively, but I started learning Spanish nine years ago)? Is kind of the point. It's hard to learn a second language. Even if you are good at learning languages (which, for the record, if you ask any language teacher I've ever had, I am). Even if you can make yourself comprehensible. It's hard to get things perfect. And so chastising immigrants for their incorrect grammar is a douchey thing to do, especially if you've never even attempted to learn a foreign language.

ETA: And my point about accents went more over her head than the rest of the post. ¡Que boludo! (To use porteño slang that most Spanish speakers probably don't understand, but obviously you should understand if you ever wish to visit Buenos Aires).

The Bible says to do all things as if you are doing them for Christ. Genie would you really treat Christ this way? Saying that it isn't your problem? Saying that he should just go back to his country if he can't speak in the "correct" accent? Would you look at Jesus and say the things that you have been saying on this thread?

Guest Anonymous

Ok, the shit stirring troll and cyber bullying part I do apologize for. It had nothing to do with the topics being discussed, and I was kinda under the influence when I wrote that part. As for needing attention, no, I don't. I have enough going on in my life. I have strong opinions, which others find offensive. For that I won't apologize, just as I don't expect anyone with opinions I don't agree with to apologize. But I will tone it down and try to express my opinions in a less offensive way because it only derails the topic at hand.

Under the influence,and I apologized for shit stirring troll and cyber bulling part just now on a previous thread.

Anyway, when I said I was under the influence, I was still feeling the effects of the medications that I had taken as prescribed earlier. I probably would have said the same things, but perhaps in a different manner. What I should have done was rest a little longer, but I didn't. My condition and medications have nothing to do with my opinions. Those existed well before I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease and started taking any medication. Sorry for the TMI, I just wanted to set the record straight.

What I said was I was using under the influence as a reason for typos, and the shit stirring troll comments, I never used it as an excuse for anything else that I said. Did you not read the last 3 sentences of of post?

I read what you wrote when you said that being under the influence of drugs caused you to say things that you wouldn't have otherwise, and I read what you wrote when you said that your medications have nothing to do with your opinions and you would have said the same things anyway, but differently. Sorry, but there's not that many different ways to say what you said and retain the meaning behind them. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You have zero credibility, and not only because of this.

(Does anyone actually believe that geniebelle went to talk to her church about sexism, and lo and behold, they immediately told her they had hired a woman pastor? Bueller? Bueller?)

Also, you didn't answer my question.

Considering that you think:

Of course there's probably more, but you get the idea. The very moment I said something they deemed sexist or racist they mentioned everything they found on me. Does it bother me? No. Am I angry? No. I intentionally put the information out there. Having my information out there for the public to see led to finding my long lost great-aunt's family and connect to others researching the same family surnames.

Anyway, you're right this forum is sketchy. This is a group of people who see things in black and are intolerant of different opinions. That is hypocritical and makes them just as bad and crazy as the fundies they snark on.

I took responsibility for everything I said. The problem is you don't like what I have to say. As for the privacy, I chose to make my email address public. I believe I stated that already. Grow up? Ummm...I'm acting no more childish than anyone else here. Because, let's face it snarking is just the adult form of internet bullying. You find somebody with a lifestyle/belief that you think is wrong/dangerous/whatever, and rip them to shreds. That's no different than a bunch of junior high kids engaging in cyber bulling. And, yes that includes me too. Every single one of you are just as nasty and horrible as any fundie, except on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Oh, and oops, sorry for the typo.

Why are you asking a question that you already have the answer to? Me a victim? Hardly. I stopped considering myself a member of FJ the moment I finally realized that this isn't really a snark board.

If you aren't trolling, and you don't consider yourself a member of this forum, then what are you getting out of being here? Why do you continue to post in multiple threads as if you were a member of this forum?

Does anyone actually believe that geniebelle went to talk to her church about sexism, and lo and behold, they immediately told her they had hired a woman pastor? Bueller? Bueller?) :liar:

Nope not for a moment.

I think I also went over Anise's head who was chastising me for grammatical errors.

Eh, I just don't like it when people act so superior. And perhaps that's not what you intended, but that is how it came across. I'm just trying to point out that we all make mistakes and in more important things than simply grammar.

And Geniebelle, no one here is being black and white about beliefs. From what I've seen FJ is a diverse group of people. Perhaps because of your inexperience, you made assumptions about learning languages and these assumptions have shaped how you have viewed immigrants. The members here who have reacted strongly are those well familiar with the difficulties of learning languages and are trying to correct your assumptions. The fact is that learning a language generally takes years and often people can never be truly rid of their accent.

Eh, I just don't like it when people act so superior. And perhaps that's not what you intended, but that is how it came across. I'm just trying to point out that we all make mistakes and in more important things than simply grammar.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to act superior at all and my point clearly went waaaaaaaaay over your head.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to act superior at all and my point clearly went waaaaaaaaay over your head.

Intentionally or not, that's how it came across, m'kay?

Intentionally or not, that's how it came across, m'kay?

To you, apparently so. But kthx for your opinion. It's super important to me.

To you, apparently so. But kthx for your opinion. It's super important to me.

Hey, I'm just letting you know that I wouldn't have snarked you unless I was under the impression that you were acting superior. Otherwise, what would I care about grammar mistakes? :)

Hey, I'm just letting you know that I wouldn't have snarked you unless I was under the impression that you were acting superior. Otherwise, what would I care about grammar mistakes? :)

Okay, but, you pointing out my grammar mistakes kind of proved my point and therefore I appreciate them being pointed out, so I didn't consider it being snarked on. But apparently that point does not register with you, which is why I know consider you to be a complete moron ala geniebelle.

Well, I chose Spanish because she mentioned a desire to learn Spanish and was given resources. Hence, she should already be speaking it. Also, it is the language I am best at, despite the pesky desire to Italianize everything that comes from taking Italian. Closely related languages are so easy to learn, but so difficult to keep separate. :(

Also, as Hebrew and Arabic are in different alphabets, they aren't even remotely accessible to somebody who can't read those alphabets, whereas in Spanish you can at least figure out the cognates.

×בל ×× ×™ ×והבת עברית גמקן. ×בל ×–×” קשה לדבר בעברית ×›×™ ×× ×™ רוצה ל×מר כל דבר בספרדית ×›×™ עכשיו ×× ×™ יודעת וספרדית יותר טוב מעברית ××£ על פי שלמדתי עברית כל ×”×—×™×™× ×©×œ×™ ורק למדתי ספרדית לתשע שני×.

وانا احب اللغة العرابية لكن لا اتذكر كثيرا.

Sorry for the thread-jack. It just drives me crazy when people who don't know anything about languages blabber on about it. Having studied more languages than my fair share, I believe that my opinion (expecting people, even those who are proficient at language learning, to become fluent in a foreign language before visiting a country where that language is spoken is completely absurd and expecting them to be able to speak in a flawless accent is even more absurd) is far more accurate.

כל הכבוד על העברית! ×יפה למדת? ×× ×™ גדלתי בתל ×ביב ועברתי לקנדה לפני שמונה שני×, ×•×’× ×“×•×‘×¨×ª רוסית מהבית.

Okay, but, you pointing out my grammar mistakes kind of proved my point and therefore I appreciate them being pointed out, so I didn't consider it being snarked on. But apparently that point does not register with you, which is why I know consider you to be a complete moron ala geniebelle.

Well, thanks. I was merely attempting to diffuse the situation. Can you please take the hint?

Well, thanks. I was merely attempting to diffuse the situation. Can you please take the hint?

I don't understand your hint, because all I really get from you is that you are both clueless and a douchebag. I was not trying to prove anything except that it is incredibly difficult to learn foreign languages WHICH I PROVED BY MAKING ERRORS WHILE TRYING TO SPEAK A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. Which everyone else but you and geniebelle seemed to understand.

I love that this thread has devolved into Hebrew.

Lamati ivret aval gam lamati spardit v sinit. Y ahora solo puedo hablar una mezcla de los tres. :oops:

Yah, it was really embarrassing in class when I substituted aval for pero. But now I am more likely to use danshi because I've forgotten nearly all my Hebrew. :(

כל הכבוד על העברית! איפה למדת? אני גדלתי בתל אביב ועברתי לקנדה לפני שמונה שנים, וגם דוברת רוסית מהבית.

:oops: Um, thanks. I learned at the Jewish day school I went to from kindergarten through seventh grade. Tel Aviv is really awesome! I really enjoyed it when I was in Israel over January. But I like cities, in general. Where in Canada are you? I really like Canada as well. Also, I have two friends who study Russian and talk about it all the time and it seems like a really cool language. In fact, one of my friends who is studying Russian is currently in Sberia, she seems to really enjoy it.

Archived