IGNORED

"Damn immigrants need to learn proper english!"

xReems

I need to vent out about these stupid people I had to deal with today at Subway. For dinner, I decided to go to Subway and the guy who was making my sandwich was this kind and sweet old Indian guy making it. This fundie couple in front of me were getting pisses at him because he asked them the same question once or twice; fine, if that frustrates you but the husband thought it would be cool to be immature to throw some snarky comments at him like a douche. The couple got pretty annoyed him and by the end of it the wife decided, out of anger, to steal a bag of Lay's chips to avoid further conversation with him. Throughout this whole thing, the owner was still calm with them and politely asked them whether this food was for here or to go, which the wife in a bitchy attitude said 'to go!" I still remained calm but then the husband decided to throw in his two cents and say "Ain't no way in Hell we's staying here." Once again, I still remained calm, although it pisses me off. What got me the most was when they were leaving the place and as they walked by me, the wife had the AUDACITY to say "Damn immigrants need to learn proper english before working," Being Indian, that offended me the most. The owner could have had a bad day, hearing problem due to old age, or stress since he was the only person working but to make that remark out of nowhere was out of line and completely disrespectful. Granted, the Indian owner had a strong accent but he spoke proper english but both of those assholes refused to take the time to think about why the owner was "out of it" tonight. I gave them a dirty look to prove a point but just thinking about makes my blood boil.

What bothers me the most is that some fundies or conservatives have this same mentality. Because some people with different ethnicity have an accent, which they cannot understand, means "illegal" and need to take "proper english classes." I've heard this same crap from others when I was in college with immigrants needing to learn "proper english", yet that same couple should have taken their own fucking advice and learn proper grammar.

For some reason, this couple reminded me of Anna and Smuggar. The way the husband was acting like with his snarky remarks about the Indian sounded like something Smuggar would say if he was put into the same position. I felt so bad for the guy, I decided not to take the $3,15 change from him. As my dad said "Some people in this country are so close minded that they think they are the true Americans when in reality, Native Americans are the real ones. You'll never hear that though from conservatives."

It pisses me of to think some people have that mentality that having immigrants in this country is a bad thing yet they themselves forget their ancestors are also immigrants. Dumbfucks.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you need to feel you should "hold your tongue" when people are being outright assholes like that. I think it would have been fine (great even) if you had said something at the time in defense of the man behind the counter.

I empathize with you though, when I hear crap like that it makes my blood boil too.

Trust me, if I wasn't the next one in line, I would have thrown in my two cents to shut them up. I've had to deal with a lot of stupid people in lives but this one just really pissed me off to the point where I had to sit in my car for a few minutes to calm myself down before driving back home.

I do understand the frustration of having to repeat yourself a few times and I do understand the frustration of trying to understand someone with a strong accent but at least be respectful about it. The wife threw a bitch fit when the guy put "too much" olives on her sandwich when she said "just a small amount." From the bread to the payment, this couple were just throwing their discriminate insults at him.

I don't think you need to feel you should "hold your tongue" when people are being outright assholes like that. I think it would have been fine (great even) if you had said something at the time in defense of the man behind the counter.

I empathize with you though, when I hear crap like that it makes my blood boil too.

Yeah. I'm sometimes too chickenshit for a direct confrontation but will make some side snarky comment clearly intended for the offender to hear.

Aside from the accent there are people who make those exasperated "why don't they speak English???" comments when hearing a foreign language spoken just AROUND them. As if heaven forbid we not speak English in the coffeehouse even though we are not even remotely interacting with the offended party, they just don't like hearing us. I've been known to switch to English to say "it must suck to be monolingual" as part of my conversation, not looking at them. Sometimes then they shut up.

Of course assholes like the ones in the OP are often the first to assume the guy behind the counter (or whomever they're upset with) is talking about them behind their back, well, yeah! After you leave everyone's talking about how you were such an ASS, but that's only your own fault!!

How do you know the couple was fundy?

I'm always impressed with how well our recent immigrants do in adapting to a new culture and language. I don't know that I'd pick up a second language as quickly. I don't care if an immigrant is here illegally or not. Most in our area are refugees rather than immigrants as such but we have a good number of undocumented Hispanic immigrants. Refugees are always here legally. Those working jobs at Subway are surely here with a green card. Factories are where you find undocumented workers. I think the majority are hard workers and they do pretty darn well with their English.

I'd have said something, especially when she stole a bag of chips.

My mom speaks with an accent and she tells me of hostility at her work place of people with accents. She is a researcher at a large pharm company and they have a strict policy on discriminatory practices, so the anti-foreign sentiment simmers but never boils over.

I think it comes from a lack of exposure when people would feel threatened by a simple accent. I do not have an accent but I do speak Chinese with my parents in public. I notice sometimes receiving "looks" from people....not sure if people are annoyed at the Chinese or my incessant chattering LOL. For the most part, I don't receive the same problem as my mom. I think it's because I can speak English without any accent so I get a free pass. Haters are everywhere. It could be your race, your accent, your hairdo etc. I say live and let live. You can't change their minds and arguing with people like that never works. Just ignore and know there are people way smarter than that in the world.

We have a pretty international community here because of the uni. But every once in a while I'll hear someone make a crack about accented English and I'll call them out. I'm a first generation American, my family all had accents.

I live in an area that is about half latino and I get sick of hearing this shit.

Most of the people here would love to learn English. It would be amazing in terms of opportunities and just being able to navigate life. But English is a sucky language to learn, really difficult and idiosyncratic. It is especially difficult for people who are not particularly literate in their own languages. Getting rid of an accent is damn near impossible. I have lived in Washington forever and still sound Californian.

Compassion should not be so difficult for people.

I still remained calm but then the husband decided to throw in his two cents and say "Ain't no way in Hell we's staying here."

Have you ever noticed that most of the people who complain about those who speak English as a second language don't speak English very well themselves?

Have you ever noticed that most of the people who complain about those who speak English as a second language don't speak English very well themselves?

Just the fact the husband could not speak English properly with his double negative made both of them sound like hypocrites.

NurseNell, the wife's outfit screamed fundy and her attitude, in general, sounded like the typical submissive wife, minus her insulting two cents before leaving. I could have been wrong but I've had my fair share with run ins with fundies and they fit that mold to the point.

Ah, irony. I can't be the only who sees this, can I?

Saying an immigrant can't speak proper English = bad.

Saying people with regional accents can't speak proper English = good.

My thoughts exactly when I heard her husband say "Ain't no way in hell!". Clearly, they should have taken their own advice and learned some proper english before blurting out immigrants learning "proper english." :roll:

I think some people forget that just because they have a long generation of family members being born, doesn't mean they're 100% american themselves. Quick, someone needs to them a history lesson!

As an American majoring in a foreign language, stuff like this upsets me to no end. When I was abroad, people were so kind and genuinely interested in helping me learn. Did I make mistakes? Of course I did. Did they rail at me for doing so? No! Do these types of people have any idea how long it takes to learn a freaking foreign language and that the best way to do so is to be, you know, out amongst the general populace to get as much exposure as possible? Urgh!

Um, I really doubt that anybody would have cared about their grammar if they hadn't been insulting somebody else's language skills. And I can't say if that was a regional accent or not- but generally double negatives are not proper English.

(And I'm constantly getting after students who freak out that other students are talking about them when they are talking in another language. You know what- they usually aren't, and I can understand enough of one of the langages that is common with my students to know that.)

I think it's funny - most of those who spout off - they should learn English don't know another language. Here these people are trying to learn a new language and function in a job when they may not grasp at it. Yet these same Americans go to other countries and expect them to speak and have signs in English.

My grandmother has lived in the US for 60 years. She speaks fluent English, but with a heavy accent (she learned English as an adult). She speaks 2 languages other than her native one, which is more than the average American can say....

So rude. I can't imagine saying something like that right in front of someone's face. I really don't understand how some people have such lack of empathy.

How can people be so rude towards others? I just don't understand it. Personally I don't usually care when others speak their own languages in public, the only time it pisses me off is when I'm with the people my hubby wants me to be friends with because they refuse to speak English even though I'm the only one in the room who doesn't speak their language. They say I'll learn it by immersion. Fuck that. Aside from that one group of about a dozen people, I don't care if people speak their own language.

And you can bet that people who pull this kind of crap are monoglots (sp) who've never even TRIED to learn a foreign language. Or at least, they've never SERIOUSLY tried to become fluent. Do these people know how HARD it is to learn a language?

I don't get frustrated when I have a hard time making myself understood/understanding foreigners, but I do feel awkward, because I don't want anyone to feel badly.

All this aside from the fact that, for alll we know, language might not have been the issue.

I'm always impressed with how well our recent immigrants do in adapting to a new culture and language. I don't know that I'd pick up a second language as quickly. I don't care if an immigrant is here illegally or not. Most in our area are refugees rather than immigrants as such but we have a good number of undocumented Hispanic immigrants. Refugees are always here legally. Those working jobs at Subway are surely here with a green card. Factories are where you find undocumented workers. I think the majority are hard workers and they do pretty darn well with their English.

This has been my experience as well. And usually, the immigrants I've known who struggled with English were usually already fluent in at least two languages. So until the asshole nativists are bilingual, they can keep their mouths shut.

How do you know the couple was fundy?

I'd have said something, especially when she stole a bag of chips.

I speak one language. How could I put down someone for speaking with a second langauge with an accent?

No. Read the thread again.

Trying your best to get along in English, especially keeping your cool when insulted = good

Racist intolerance shown to non-white immigrant, especially when you aren't any better yourself AND you get hostile and break the law = bad

Guest Anonymous

Ok, the customer who had the hissy fit was wrong in acting the way he did. I agree it's a good idea to learn a 2nd (I'm considering taking Spanish & French classes or purchase language learning software). Having said that, why should I have to learn another language or repeat myself several times just to place an order at a restaurant or get customer service/technical support over the phone in my own country? I used to work in a call center, and one of the very first things a customer would ask me "do you speak English" or they would say "thank goodness somebody I can understand." Having an accent is not the problem, but when It's so "thick" that you can't understand anything being said, that's the problem. The fact they can speak a hundred different languages or that I can't speak other languages is beside the point. The fact of the matter is they are here in the U.S. where the primary language is English. So, no, I shouldn't have to learn another language to conduct everyday business or transactions in my own country.

I have no problem whatsoever with legal immigrants (regardless of race, ethnicity, or country of origin). Just to be clear, I'm referring to immigrants who work with the public, not immigrants in general, and I do agree that many immigrants do speak English in an understandable way. And, I'll repeat one more time the customer who pitched the hissy fit was wrong.

Archived