IGNORED

"Damn immigrants need to learn proper english!"

xReems

Ok, without using Google translate - pomology really likes Hebrew, but it's hard to speak Hebrew now because she wants to say everything in Spanish because now she knows Spanish better, even though she learned Hebrew her whole life and just started learning Spanish nine years ago.

If I got that right, do I need to admit to my kids that I really do know Hebrew, and stop automatically telliing them to ask their father for help with Hebrew homework?

But yes, it took me longer to get through that than it did the Spanish stuff, and I was able to cobble together some meaning from the Spanish based on French.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
¡Hola geniebelle! Supongo que ahora hablas español perfectamente ¿correcto? Porque es muy, muy, muy fácil aprender una lengua nueva. Si tienes el deseo, no necesitas mucho tiempo. También, supongo que no hablas con un acento, porque hablando con un acento es terrible y los que hablan una segunda lengua con un acento son estupidos y no tratan a aprender la lengua. Pero, no sé con que acento hablas. ¿Un acento español? ¿Un acento mexicano? ¿Un acento guatemalteco? ¿Un acento chileno? O quizás mi acento favorito un acento argentino. Por favor, respondes a mi mensaje en español porque yo sé que puedes. Si no eres una idiota y no debes visitar un país hispanohablante nunca. Pero yo sé que entiendes y hablas perfectamente.¡Un beso!

Yay! I can translate this! I haven't lost all my Spanish after all!

I'm not going to try and write something in French because I can't remember enough of it. But here is some Bristolian slang:

Those your new daps? They're proper mint.

I believe לאמר should be לומר, and לתשע שנים should be תשע שנים. Sorry for nitpicking. On the other hand, my Arabic spelling isn't the greatest:

Nitpick away. It proves the point of this thread. I started formally learning Hebrew at age 5 and I still make mistakes with it. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

Ok, without using Google translate - pomology really likes Hebrew, but it's hard to speak Hebrew now because she wants to say everything in Spanish because now she knows Spanish better, even though she learned Hebrew her whole life and just started learning Spanish nine years ago.

If I got that right, do I need to admit to my kids that I really do know Hebrew, and stop automatically telliing them to ask their father for help with Hebrew homework?

But yes, it took me longer to get through that than it did the Spanish stuff, and I was able to cobble together some meaning from the Spanish based on French.

Well, in theory, yes, but in actually, I think you can keep telling them to ask their father for help with their Hebrew homework, as long as he still knows it better than you do.

I love FJ. (And I got the Spanish too :D )

Has it ever occurred to anyone just how much knowledge and expertise there is on this board?

There are so many awesome people here.

Pity that when we get to TEOTWAWKI we'll all be separated, not there to take over!

There really are some diverse and knowledgeable people here! You can learn so much if you are open to it. Too bad some people would rather not have their views challenged and stay in ignorance.

Guest Anonymous
¡Hola geniebelle! Supongo que ahora hablas español perfectamente ¿correcto? Porque es muy, muy, muy fácil aprender una lengua nueva. Si tienes el deseo, no necesitas mucho tiempo. También, supongo que no hablas con un acento, porque hablando con un acento es terrible y los que hablan una segunda lengua con un acento son estupidos y no tratan a aprender la lengua. Pero, no sé con que acento hablas. ¿Un acento español? ¿Un acento mexicano? ¿Un acento guatemalteco? ¿Un acento chileno? O quizás mi acento favorito un acento argentino. Por favor, respondes a mi mensaje en español porque yo sé que puedes. Si no eres una idiota y no debes visitar un país hispanohablante nunca. Pero yo sé que entiendes y hablas perfectamente.¡Un beso!

Via Google Translate:

Aquí vamos de nuevo. Sí, tengo un acento sureño. No es tan palurdo o de los Apalaches o la variedad sur profundo. Es algo intermedio. De todos modos, estamos golpeando a un caballo muerto aquí, y Afer el día que he tenido hoy, estoy en el estado de ánimo para continuar este debate. Usted ha hecho su punto. No estoy de acuerdo, y yo voy a dejar las cosas así.

What I actually wrote in English:

Here we go again. Yes, I do have a southern accent. It's not quite hillbilly or Appalachian or the deep south variety. It's something in between. Anyway, we are beating a dead horse here, and afer the day I've had today, I'm in to mood to continue this debate. You have made your point. I disagree, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Porfa, no esté maleducada. Se parece que Geniebelle aún no ha estudiado un otro idioma y por eso no entiende que aprender otros idiomas es difícil. Recuerde que hay otros cosas que son difíciles, por ejemplo ser cortés.

So you aren't going to address the lack of Christ like compassion you have towards immigrants? Why bother to be a Christian if you aren't going to even attempt to be like Christ? The heathens here have more a more Christian love towards immigrants than you do.

Guest Anonymous

WHAT???? :oops: :oops: I really shouldn't be typing while under the influence! :lol:

Under the influence,and I apologized for shit stirring troll and cyber bulling part just now on a previous thread.

Ok, the shit stirring troll and cyber bullying part I do apologize for. It had nothing to do with the topics being discussed, and I was kinda under the influence when I wrote that part. As for needing attention, no, I don't. I have enough going on in my life. I have strong opinions, which others find offensive. For that I won't apologize, just as I don't expect anyone with opinions I don't agree with to apologize. But I will tone it down and try to express my opinions in a less offensive way because it only derails the topic at hand.

Okay, I apologize for coming back to this after so long, but I've been away and I didn't see anyone else address it. If they did and I missed it, I apologize. "I was drunk"/"I was high" is an excuse that is frequently trotted out when someone acts like a jackass on the internet but doesn't want to own their behavior. It's right up there with "It wasn't me, it was my cousin/little brother/cat" or "I was hacked." I'm not really buying it.

If it is true, then you need to get some help. If you are frequently under the influence of drugs or alcohol and it affects you to the extent that you say horrible things that you wouldn't normally say, then you really need assistance from professionals and I hope you will seek it out. Addiction is terrible.

That said, you have already been (grudgingly) given a second chance by many posters here after your first cursing freak out and subsequent breakdown. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. It doesn't matter what kind of person you *say* you are, what matters is the kind of person you prove yourself to be. You have proven yourself to be a bigoted hot mess. How many times are people supposed to give you the benefit of the doubt? You obviously want to be a member of this community but when you're confronted by people (which happens to all of us here) you refuse to reflect on what you might be saying that's wrong because you'd rather lose your shit all over the place. That's a big fucking problem. Hell, you aligned yourself with actual trolls of the "force a woman to have an abortion" variety in your zealous pursuit of sticking it to the hive vagina. You have used up your allotment of good faith and made yourself look like a troll, too. If you actually aren't one, which seems unlikely.

FJ is a place where your beliefs are going to be challenged. People are going to tell you that you're wrong. If you can't handle that then you really need to find a new place to spend your internet hang out time. What exactly are you looking for from this forum, anyway? You don't seem to be finding companionship with the posters here. It certainly doesn't seem to be entertaining you or helping you to grow as a person or making you happy.

So you aren't going to address the lack of Christ like compassion you have towards immigrants? Why bother to be a Christian if you aren't going to even attempt to be like Christ? The heathens here have more a more Christian love towards immigrants than you do.

Oh formergothardite, surely you remember your Bible? "And so I tell you this: whatever you didn't do for the least of my brothers because they weren't your problem, is totally okay with me. Who can understand them anyway. Amirite?" Amen.

:clap: To Lissar. I think most posters here have bad days where they say something bitchy, but nothing compared to how you have reacted Genie. Also, you refuse to show even a tiny bit of compassion towards immigrants who are struggling all while claiming to be a Christian. I understand Christians aren't perfect, but there is a world of difference between slipping up and having a bad moment and steadfastly choosing to stay in that bad moment like you have when it comes to people who have strong accents.

I'mma just going to say here that I was raised fundie-lite if not fundie, and have said plenty of close-minded, ridiculous stuff on forums. Eventually, I did become more open, but it took a while, and I am very grateful to all those people who treated me like a human instead of the jerk that I often was (and still am sometimes). So I'll just say that I hope Geniebelle sticks around long enough to learn more about other viewpoints and become more receptive to them.

The "oops I slipped and fell into bigotry" argument is dubious even when it happens once. But when it happens twice, in two different subjects, I'm going to go with the Occam's Razor: you just are bigoted.

I am another who is not going to forget the "you're all cyber bullies"/"I'm just here to be a shit stirring troll" comments. WTH?

Guest Anonymous
If it is true, then you need to get some help. If you are frequently under the influence of drugs or alcohol and it affects you to the extent that you say horrible things that you wouldn't normally say, then you really need assistance from professionals and I hope you will seek it out. Addiction is terrible.

Now wait a minute. You're jumping to conclusions here. I am not an addict or alcoholic. I have Meniere's Disease (which my doctor has now informed me is bilateral and may require surgery on my other ear). I take one 2mg Valium tablet and 12.5mg Pheneragan up to 3 times per day as needed to treat the intense vertigo, dizziness, and nausea. I monitor my medications very carefully and never take more than the prescribed amount or more often than prescribed. If I get so sick and feel the medications aren't working, I call my doctor. I don't over medicate. I have never done any type of street drug or "popped pills" (as in abusing prescription drugs), and I don't drink alcohol at all. Anyway, when I said I was under the influence, I was still feeling the effects of the medications that I had taken as prescribed earlier. I probably would have said the same things, but perhaps in a different manner. What I should have done was rest a little longer, but I didn't. My condition and medications have nothing to do with my opinions. Those existed well before I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease and started taking any medication. Sorry for the TMI, I just wanted to set the record straight.

Guest Anonymous
I'mma just going to say here that I was raised fundie-lite if not fundie, and have said plenty of close-minded, ridiculous stuff on forums. Eventually, I did become more open, but it took a while, and I am very grateful to all those people who treated me like a human instead of the jerk that I often was (and still am sometimes). So I'll just say that I hope Geniebelle sticks around long enough to learn more about other viewpoints and become more receptive to them.

Thank you

Guest Anonymous

I never said immigrants were heathens, and I never said I have no compassion. All I said was if they want to live here and work they need to learn to speak English more clearly. I don't think that shows a lack of compassion, but apparently you and others do.

Via Google Translate:

Aquí vamos de nuevo. Sí, tengo un acento sureño. No es tan palurdo o de los Apalaches o la variedad sur profundo. Es algo intermedio. De todos modos, estamos golpeando a un caballo muerto aquí, y Afer el día que he tenido hoy, estoy en el estado de ánimo para continuar este debate. Usted ha hecho su punto. No estoy de acuerdo, y yo voy a dejar las cosas así.

What I actually wrote in English:

Here we go again. Yes, I do have a southern accent. It's not quite hillbilly or Appalachian or the deep south variety. It's something in between. Anyway, we are beating a dead horse here, and afer the day I've had today, I'm in to mood to continue this debate. You have made your point. I disagree, and I'm going to leave it at that.

LOL, I think that pretty much went over GenieBelle's head, Pomology. If GenieBelle ever does figure out what you mean, she'll probably be banging on about how those damn Cubans or whatever should learn to speak Spanish properly.

I never said immigrants were heathens, and I never said I have no compassion. All I said was if they want to live here and work they need to learn to speak English more clearly. I don't think that shows a lack of compassion, but apparently you and others do.

When asked about the struggling immigrant who has learned English (with an accent) and didn't have the time or money to go to classes so they could learn to speak in a Genie approved way, your reply was "It isn't my problem." That shows a lack of compassion. Is that how Jesus would react?

The problem is your assumption that if someone has an accent that you find hard to understand (which is very subjective, btw), they just aren't trying, or haven't bothered to learn. I have worked with refugees and immigrants and most work very hard, much harder than you have ever worked in your life, both to support their familes and to learn English. By and large most immigrants value education very highly, more highly than most of the fundie families we talk about.

Thank you

Are you admitting that you are saying lots of closed-minded, ridiculous stuff?

And we are to show you more empathy to you than you show to immigrants who have worked hard to learn English yet still don't speak it clearly enough for you?

Also, if you have lived in another country and tried to communicate in another language, you understand how other people's reactions to your attempts affects your ability to communicate. An impatient person who immediately assumes you are stupid because you stumble in your pronunciation, will make it even harder for the language learner. A patient, understanding person will help the language learner be more relaxed and fluent.

God forbid you ever have a stroke that affects the language center of your brain. Then maybe you will learn what a difference it makes when people are patient with your attempts to produce understandable speech.

Guest Anonymous

Are you admitting that you are saying lots of closed-minded, ridiculous stuff?

And we are to show you more empathy to you than you show to immigrants who have worked hard to learn English yet still don't speak it clearly enough for you?

The thank you was directed at Anise for not saying something bitchy, so no I'm not admitting to anything. I have never asked for nor do I need, want, or deserve your empathy or sympathy (at least not on this issue). I got the memo several pages and threads ago. You think my statements make me a racists bigot. I got that already. Further discussion about how un-Christ like I am or why don't I have sympathy is pointless. I have repeatedly answered those questions, and repeatedly stated my opinions. You don't agree, and I get that.

Well, how exactly are you being Christ-like and showing compassion towards them?

Since you are claiming to be a Christian, and people aren't seeing the compassion Christians are supposed to show in your words, explain exactly how saying "It's not my problem" when is compassionate and doing what Christ would do.

If you can't do that, then maybe you should rethink your beliefs.

Guest Anonymous

By direct them to members of the Spanish speaking community who can help them or to the new Hindu cultural center near me. I'm using those 2 examples because those are the largest immigrant groups in my general.

Archived