IGNORED

Bible verses on groceries

Guest geniebelle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why use the money to feed the hungry? If people are down and out and hungry it's because they're not praying hard enough :roll: :?

*now I'm off to iron my hands for typing that*

Guest Anonymous

I doubt it costs more to add bible verses to a coloured piece of paper that is going to be printed anyway.

It would annoy the shit out of me and I might not buy the product, but I guess those companies know their target audience and market stuff accordingly.

Guest Anonymous
Why use the money to feed the hungry? If people are down and out and hungry it's because they're not praying hard enough :roll: :?

*now I'm off to iron my hands for typing that*

Knowing the people behind this, I would doubt that's what they're thinking.

I doubt it costs more to add bible verses to a coloured piece of paper that is going to be printed anyway.

It would annoy the shit out of me and I might not buy the product, but I guess those companies know their target audience and market stuff accordingly.

I also doubt it costs more to add the verses. I have eaten at In and Out burger a few times when I have been in Nevada and California and they print bible verses on their bags and I heard of an atheist group in Vegas that boycotts In and Out.

I wouldn't use In and Out when I had one around the corner from me.

But hey these folks are in the deep south, in the bible and heart attack/stroke belt. I'm so glad they found leviticus on their bag of pork rinds. :roll:

Alaska Airlines just discontinued the prayer cards they used to pass out with their drinks on most flights. IIRC they usually had Psalm 91 on them. It's been a while since I flew Alaska.

I don't mind In'N'Out having a verse on the bottom of their soda cups. How many people look on the bottom of their cups anyway?

I will not go to the brand new Chik-Fil-A though. Besides the fact it's always jammed and the 2 drive through lanes are always busy, I won't go there.

I don't shop at webpages that preach at me I rather spend more then support a VF business owner. I would not buy the product I don't need preached too. keep your religion to yourself like it says in the bible. Too bad they don't have to pay god a copyright fee.

I doubt it adds any more money to put a specific verse on your can of chili than to NOT put it on. It's not like they have to pay somebody to think it up and write it, or that they have to pay extra for the ink (if it weren't written with a verse it'd all be inked in red or yellow or something, it wouldn't be uncolored) or that it's the only text on an otherwise blank piece of paper or something.

The Bible verse shown in the article is the fairly innocuous "a soft answer turns away wrath" one, which... let's face it, is just good advice, no matter where it comes from.

Of course, the idiotic attitude that by putting religious scripture on their product, to get thrown out as soon as it's used, is somehow "taking a stand" is... well, inane beyond belief. Christians are the majority. If they really had to "take a stand" they wouldn't squander their lives and well-being on silly showboating like this. The fact that anybody could think that this sort of nonsense is "taking a stand" proves how secure their position in this country is. It's not brave, it's just crass capitalism.

Alaska Airlines just discontinued the prayer cards they used to pass out with their drinks on most flights. IIRC they usually had Psalm 91 on them. It's been a while since I flew Alaska.

I don't mind In'N'Out having a verse on the bottom of their soda cups. How many people look on the bottom of their cups anyway?

I will not go to the brand new Chik-Fil-A though. Besides the fact it's always jammed and the 2 drive through lanes are always busy, I won't go there.

I wont shop at forever 21 because they put a bible verse on each shopping bag. I also dont eat at in and out. I never had a desire to go there when there was a Culvers right down the street from me. Hearing that they put bible verses on their cups makes me less likely to eat there. You may not see it as a big deal but I do. I am against companies putting these things on their bags or cups because its just a new level of marketing. They are sinking lower and lower to try and get customers. I also dont eat or shop at such stores because they usually have no tolerance for LGBT people. I will not support any company that hates my friends.

I buy my eggs at a discount store and never really noticed that each carton had a verse printed on them, UNTIL last week when I was just about to close the carton and put it back in the fridge and glimpsed the verse at the last second before I dropped the whole thing and wasted 10 good eggs!! The verse?

"This is the day that the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. "

The whole day sucked as I remember.

Guest Anonymous
I doubt it adds any more money to put a specific verse on your can of chili than to NOT put it on. It's not like they have to pay somebody to think it up and write it, or that they have to pay extra for the ink (if it weren't written with a verse it'd all be inked in red or yellow or something, it wouldn't be uncolored) or that it's the only text on an otherwise blank piece of paper or something.

The Bible verse shown in the article is the fairly innocuous "a soft answer turns away wrath" one, which... let's face it, is just good advice, no matter where it comes from.

Of course, the idiotic attitude that by putting religious scripture on their product, to get thrown out as soon as it's used, is somehow "taking a stand" is... well, inane beyond belief. Christians are the majority. If they really had to "take a stand" they wouldn't squander their lives and well-being on silly showboating like this. The fact that anybody could think that this sort of nonsense is "taking a stand" proves how secure their position in this country is. It's not brave, it's just crass capitalism.

My point exactly.

I buy my eggs at a discount store and never really noticed that each carton had a verse printed on them, UNTIL last week when I was just about to close the carton and put it back in the fridge and glimpsed the verse at the last second before I dropped the whole thing and wasted 10 good eggs!! The verse?

"This is the day that the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. "

The whole day sucked as I remember.

Aldi eggs! I noticed that too. But I keep buying them because they are so inexpensive, and haven't been recalled once. :lol:

Also, I had no idea about In 'n' Out Burger or Forever 21! I never noticed the bible verses. Is this a new(er) development?

Aldi eggs! I noticed that too. But I keep buying them because they are so inexpensive, and haven't been recalled once. :lol:

Also, I had no idea about In 'n' Out Burger or Forever 21! I never noticed the bible verses. Is this a new(er) development?

I don't know about Forever 21, but In 'n Out has done it for decades

Forever 21 has done the verse since the very beginning. It's run by an Evangelical woman, if I recall correctly. I'm not a huge fan of having the Bible quoted at me, but I really love Forever 21's long skirts so I just refuse to take a bag and bring my own. :oops:

The small online stores are what get me. I love it when my package arrives and right on top of whatever i have purchased is a big long letter talking about how God has choosen them to spread their word. If it wouldnt cost postage back I would love to just pack it all back up with my own letter telling them that I already know.

I wont shop at forever 21 because they put a bible verse on each shopping bag. I also dont eat at in and out. I never had a desire to go there when there was a Culvers right down the street from me. Hearing that they put bible verses on their cups makes me less likely to eat there. You may not see it as a big deal but I do. I am against companies putting these things on their bags or cups because its just a new level of marketing. They are sinking lower and lower to try and get customers. I also dont eat or shop at such stores because they usually have no tolerance for LGBT people. I will not support any company that hates my friends.

This.

Forever 21 has done the verse since the very beginning. It's run by an Evangelical woman, if I recall correctly. I'm not a huge fan of having the Bible quoted at me, but I really love Forever 21's long skirts so I just refuse to take a bag and bring my own. :oops:

I've never been to Forever 21 but I was recently given a rather defrauding dress from there. If I even thought of bending over or reaching up with it on EVERYTHING would've been exposed. The woman who runs it might want to take a closer look at her merchandise.

Is there a list of products shilling Bible verses? I'd like to know so that I never make the mistake of buying one of their products.

That sounds like an FJ project for the ages!

About In-N-Out: Personally, I choose them whenever that is one of my choices (there aren't any in my area, but they had one where I used to live). The owners are very religious, but they treat their employees very well, starting them well above minimum wage, offering great benefits and set hours. Also, from what I hear, it is a pretty awesome place to work, with none of the weird manipulative crap that happens at other fast food places. I have never heard of any discriminatory behavior and the religion is confined to a well-hidden Bible verse. So I am happy to choose good employee practices and a higher quality of food over religious differences, although I understand why others may feel differently.

If people want to use their religion as an excuse for treating their employees well, I am cool with that. Ditto if it were Koran verses.

About In-N-Out: Personally, I choose them whenever that is one of my choices (there aren't any in my area, but they had one where I used to live). The owners are very religious, but they treat their employees very well, starting them well above minimum wage, offering great benefits and set hours. Also, from what I hear, it is a pretty awesome place to work, with none of the weird manipulative crap that happens at other fast food places. I have never heard of any discriminatory behavior and the religion is confined to a well-hidden Bible verse. So I am happy to choose good employee practices and a higher quality of food over religious differences, although I understand why others may feel differently.

If people want to use their religion as an excuse for treating their employees well, I am cool with that. Ditto if it were Koran verses.

Good post.

I am a very conservative Christian and I like it when I see Bible verses on products. I have seen products that have had quotes from other religions as well and that doesn't bother me at all. To me it's no different than if there are just quotes from books or famous people. It's just a quote and if you don't want to read it, no one's forcing you to. It isn't like you have to read it and sign something saying you agree with it before you can use the product. Can never understand why people get bent out of shape over some words on a package, regardless if they are words from the Bible, the Quran, or any other religion.

Archived