IGNORED

Bible verses on groceries

Guest geniebelle

About In-N-Out: Personally, I choose them whenever that is one of my choices (there aren't any in my area, but they had one where I used to live). The owners are very religious, but they treat their employees very well, starting them well above minimum wage, offering great benefits and set hours. Also, from what I hear, it is a pretty awesome place to work, with none of the weird manipulative crap that happens at other fast food places. I have never heard of any discriminatory behavior and the religion is confined to a well-hidden Bible verse. So I am happy to choose good employee practices and a higher quality of food over religious differences, although I understand why others may feel differently.

If people want to use their religion as an excuse for treating their employees well, I am cool with that. Ditto if it were Koran verses.

Indeed.

However, you're not likely to see verses from the Koran on packaging and fast food bags because it is sacrilegious to toss words from the Koran into the garbage with your coffee grounds, kitty litter, and used menstrual products. I mean, *I* don't particularly care any more than I care about throwing out words that say "McDonalds" into the trash, but Muslims religious enough to want to proselytize presumably do care. (And if I found I had a spare Koran around, for whatever reason, I'd try to freecycle it rather than just toss it... but then, I don't like throwing books out, period, no matter my opinion of them.)

Remember when McDonalds wanted to put images of flags from various countries on its packaging in honor of the Olympics, and Saudi Arabia protested? That was why, because their flag bears the Islam declaration of faith.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a very conservative Christian and I like it when I see Bible verses on products. I have seen products that have had quotes from other religions as well and that doesn't bother me at all. To me it's no different than if there are just quotes from books or famous people. It's just a quote and if you don't want to read it, no one's forcing you to. It isn't like you have to read it and sign something saying you agree with it before you can use the product. Can never understand why people get bent out of shape over some words on a package, regardless if they are words from the Bible, the Quran, or any other religion.

The problem is you don't know what something is until you read it. If someone doesn't want to read a post here, you can avoid it by the title. You can't avoid reading a bible verse on a can unless you protest reading altogether. That is what these idiots are counting on. Generally you have to read something to know if it's something you wouldn't have wanted to read. In fact, it's why text-based advertising is becoming more popular. People have learned to ignore flashing images, but you don't always know if something is an ad until you've read it.

(And if I found I had a spare Koran around, for whatever reason, I'd try to freecycle it rather than just toss it... but then, I don't like throwing books out, period, no matter my opinion of them.)

We don't have a bible, but we have a Koran. Don't ask us why, we don't know where it even came from.

I've never heard of In-N-Out being anti-gay, and the verses are not only inconspicuous, but it's just the book and verse number rather than the entire verse. You have to actually look for it on most of their packaging. Plus it's one of the few fast-food jobs in the nation that starts above $10 an hour and they treat its employees like PEOPLE instead of like temporary workers who will run away screaming in a few months. That's why so many of them are actually happy to be working there. They could hire everyone at minimum wage like everywhere else does, but they don't. One of my dearest, now-deceased, friends was a manager at one of them, and openly gay. He said he felt more accepted there than at any other job he's ever worked. Not ALL religious people are the anti-gay idiots. Some actually do believe in accepting and loving people the way Jesus would have done, and the verses aren't in-your-face. The founders are Mormon, and it's like they found the compromise between "reaching out" and not being annoying. Better to have "John 3:16" on the bottom inside rim of a cup than to have the entire verse printed out on the front of a can.

I've never heard of Forever 21 tossing in verses. That's not cool. At the last Forever 21 I saw, I rolled my eyes at how trampy a lot of the clothes were, and aimed at teens. Mixed message?

My verse problem is when it's in your face. There's a trucking company in Southern California that has giant verses on the sides of all its trucks too.

I wouldn't use In and Out when I had one around the corner from me.

But hey these folks are in the deep south, in the bible and heart attack/stroke belt. I'm so glad they found leviticus on their bag of pork rinds. :roll:

If they really do have Leviticus on the pork rinds i'd DIE of irony.

Ironically, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the woman who founded the company did so because she found teenage girls' clothing to be immodest. Maybe that's just an urban legend, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Typical fundie "do as I say, not as I do". :roll:

I think I buy Dr. Bronner's soap at least in part for the reassuring opportunity to read the insane religious ravings on the label in the bathtub.

I love the craxy that is the Dr. Bronner's label.

Good thing I stay away from canned chili!

I know that Chick-fil-a endorses causes that I don't support, but then they endorse things that I do support, too, like scholarships for employees. And then there's companies out there who are run by Satan himself (ok, not really, but you know what I mean) - the soulless corporations all about the almighty dollar, screw employees. I don't know, I guess I'm just to the point that I'm going to buy what I like and not worry about it, because it seems that every major corporation is giving money to all sorts of bad causes or treat their employees terribly.

Maybe I should just go off the grid.

Ironically, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the woman who founded the company did so because she found teenage girls' clothing to be immodest. Maybe that's just an urban legend, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Typical fundie "do as I say, not as I do". :roll:

The family that owns it is Korean and not fundie as far as I know. The clothes are the opposite of modest, so I think that is probably an urban legend.

Guest Anonymous
I am a very conservative Christian and I like it when I see Bible verses on products. I have seen products that have had quotes from other religions as well and that doesn't bother me at all. To me it's no different than if there are just quotes from books or famous people. It's just a quote and if you don't want to read it, no one's forcing you to. It isn't like you have to read it and sign something saying you agree with it before you can use the product. Can never understand why people get bent out of shape over some words on a package, regardless if they are words from the Bible, the Quran, or any other religion.

Well the product is aimed at you so your custom is to be expected. The only problem for the company is if they are shortsighted enough to employ someone with your lack of understanding that other people think differently and make purchasing decisions in line with their own thinking. Marketing is precisely about 'bending people out of shape', but in a positive way that induces them to buy your products.

I would love some examples of the quotes from other religions. Goddess knows there might be Hindu quotes on the products I buy at the Dehli Deli, or Moslem quotes on other items. Since I can't read either of those scripts I'm clueless. The only product I can think of is perhaps Tazo tea, IRRC they had little Zen-like sayings on their bags or boxes at one time. Nothing remotely resembling the old testament.

I'll be waiting with bated breath for your response.

The family that owns it is Korean and not fundie as far as I know. The clothes are the opposite of modest, so I think that is probably an urban legend.

From de ebil wiki:

Forever 21 has received attention in the media[9] for printing "John 3:16" on the bottom of their trademark yellow bags. A Spokeswoman from Forever 21's LA headquarters said the Biblical quote is a "demonstration of the owners' Christian faith." (A similar practice ha

I knew that the family was Korean, but I was pretty sure they're Evangelical Christians. When I Google'd they were just mentioned as being Christians who put the message on their bag to "express their faith" or something. Guess not as far off the deep end as I'd heard!

I just want to add that I understand why an atheist would not buy from a company that promotes values that have been used to oppress them. It's completely understandable.

About Forever 21, I am sure they want to promote their values but the clothes are not fundie at all. And in my experience, they are over-priced and poorly made.

Forever 21 is known around here for being some of the skankiest clothes...

according to wikipedia -

"The chain, originally known as Fashion 21, was intended at first mostly for middle-aged women. The store was founded in Los Angeles, California in 1984 by Korean businessman Do Won Chang (Hangul: 장도원) and his wife Jin Sook Chang (Hangul: 장진숙).[6] "

So both of you were right - they are Korean AND they print the Bible verse on the bag. I never knew that... I mean you can be saved and dress skanky... ;) But, I would have never guessed...

I never knew that about In-and-Out, but I'll still buy the occasional fast food meal there. I try not to eat fast food much, but when I do, I choose either In-and-Out or Pollo Loco (although Pollo Loco in Southern California tastes better to me than what I get in my Northern California city - hmmmmm).

I wouldn't mind the bible verses if it were such verses as

Matthew 19:24

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

or

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers, that you do unto me"

or

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Heh - I'm sure fundies are quite as crazy for those verses as some of the more fire and brimstone Old Testament ones.

Ezekiel products do! It's all natural food and I buy it.

I won't buy their stuff or Maranatha stuff either. Those folks would prefer me to spend eternity in the fires of hell. Why would I spend my hard earned money with a company that hates me and mine?

I won't buy their stuff or Maranatha stuff either. Those folks would prefer me to spend eternity in the fires of hell. Why would I spend my hard earned money with a company that hates me and mine?

yeah, I know what you mean. It's sooo good though! I'll be eating their food while I'm on my way to hell, I'll tip my hat at them too.

I would love some examples of the quotes from other religions. Goddess knows there might be Hindu quotes on the products I buy at the Dehli Deli, or Moslem quotes on other items. Since I can't read either of those scripts I'm clueless. The only product I can think of is perhaps Tazo tea, IRRC they had little Zen-like sayings on their bags or boxes at one time. Nothing remotely resembling the old testament.

I'll be waiting with bated breath for your response.

I don't keep a collection of products or even a list of products I have seen with quotes on them, religious or otherwise. It just isn't a big deal to me what kind of quote a company might want to print on their label. I know I have seen disposable cups from fast food joints that have different quotes on them. Sometimes just a famous quote other times some buddhist proverb, or ancient chinese proverb. I buy products based on a lot of things, none of which is whether or not they include or don't include quotes on them. I'm more concerned with the quality of the product, the customer service of the company if I have a problem, etc. I would never decide to buy or not buy a certain brand because they chose to put some quote on the label or package.

Unless a company was putting ANTI "specific people group" messages on their products I don't really care. My fave quotes are on Chipotle cups. :D

I am a Christian, so obviously I don't mind the Bible verses at all, but if there were other religions/beliefs quotes I would find it interesting.

We used to have to turn the placemats over in chinese restaurants because of the "chinese zodiac", but now my mom likes to make sure we each know "our animal". I'm a pig. Boar technically. :)

I'm glad you're all pointing out these places, but I don't go to them anyway. I haven't been to Forever 21 since I was 19. I always assumed it was aimed at teenagers who want to feel grown-up and mature. I assumed that the older women who shopped there were just desperately trying to cling to a youth that they no longer had. I also don't go to Chik-fil-a because of their general despicableness, and also because both KFC and Popeye's make much better food, IMO.

However, I would shop somewhere that picked the Bible verses randomly. That would be fun stuff. Will it be a dry, boring verse from Numbers or the description of the Ark of the Covenant, or will it be something exciting and racy from the Song of Solomon? Buy this product and find out!

Anyway, they have every right to Bible verses on their stuff, and I have every right to not buy their product.

Archived