IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

Am I related to you? My fil is called Honey, it even spread to his employees. My kids and their cousins call him Grandpa Honey.

Wow!! I've never met anyone else who knows about the true definition of Honey before! LOL

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of on topic ("Milk" "Malk" "Melk")

Agreed with everyone above who hates words spoken with letters that don't exist "asterick", "taken for granite"...

Oh, and the mispronunciation of "would have"; "I would of".... AAAACK! And they even write it out that way! Drives me batty.

Warsh... i think that's an Oklahoma thing. I've known several born and bred OKans who pronounced it that way .

Out here in Az, we say soda and sub sandwiches. :-D

"LOL" used under any circumstances

"Like" used as a quotative

"Tad bit" (use "tad" or "bit," but PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT BOTH AT ONCE)

"Mischievous" pronounced "mischEEvious"

Business cliches: "step up to the plate," "bring to the table," "push the envelope," "grow our business," and "kudos to___."

Also, I have seen "soak and wet" used several times in place of "soaking wet," yet each time I am startled anew.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but "You complete me..." (Just saw it on a fundie blog.) Cannot stand the phrase.

"Mischievous" pronounced "mischEEvious"

Hangs head in shame. I have the hardest time with this. I tend to have to remind myself how to pronounce it correctly.

Warsh... i think that's an Oklahoma thing. I've known several born and bred OKans who pronounced it that way .

I agree. My family is from OK and everyone I've ever known in OK says warsh.

I can't stand it when Kate Gosselin talks about "making memories". Just enjoy the event. The memories will make themselves w/o having to purposely pencil in 'making memories'.

Also, eXpresso. I've even seen it written like that in coffee shops. No. It's eSpresso. No X.

For those of you who hate Rachel Ray, have you seen foodnetworkhumor.com? The women that run the site make fun of basically everyone on Food Network, which I think is awesome. Some--no, most--of those people are horribly annoying

We're from Michigan! :) Besides my mom, I don't hear many people pronounce it that way around here.

Southern and Eastern PA.

I'm in eastern Pa. and we say soda. Eastern & Western Pa are actually very different culturally. I've heard Pittsburgh described as the start of the Midwest.

I hate the phrase "genuinely curious." It is rampant online, not so much in real life.

For example: Me: "I really like Sarah Palin"

Asshole: "Can you tell me why you like Sarah Palin? I'm genuinely curious."

No, you're not genuinely curious, you're trying to figure out whether I'm (in your opinion) stupid or ignorant. Either way, you'll try to school me.

We're from Michigan! :) Besides my mom, I don't hear many people pronounce it that way around here.

I knew a lot of people who said warsh is South-Western Ohio, too. Including my teacher from Kentucky who used to talk about "George Warshington". :)

I HATE when people say sammies instead of sandwhich (or when they say sammich. that's annoying too) and I can't stand the word 'tween when refering to a pre-teen. Also, I hate basically anything that comes out of Sarah Palin's mouth, but I REALLY wanted to scream when she made up the word refudiate. I think she later said well, shakespeare made up words too! in order to defend herself. Yea, he made up words, but the difference between him and her is he was a genius! I doubt she can even spell the word genius!

It seems like there's almost as many ways to mispronounce sandwich as there are kinds of sandwiches. Let's see....

Sammich

Samwich (I reeeeaaaaally hate this one)

Sanwidge (????)

Sanwich

Sandwidge

Sammies, I guess, though I've never hear anyone but Rachael Ray that...

Let me add another one, a La Stacy London from What Not To Wear. It seems to be her favorite phrase...

"Shut the front door"

What does that even MEAN??

Let me add another one, a La Stacy London from What Not To Wear. It seems to be her favorite phrase...

"Shut the front door"

What does that even MEAN??

Ha ha, I think it's just something she says instead of "Shut the fuck up", since "Shut up!" is another one of her catchphrases. Rather than having to bother with them bleeping out her naughty language, I think she says "Shut the front door!" instead.

I think that's what Stacy means. We use 'Back the Truck Up' in the same way when the little kids are in earshot.

Ha ha, I think it's just something she says instead of "Shut the fuck up", since "Shut up!" is another one of her catchphrases. Rather than having to bother with them bleeping out her naughty language, I think she says "Shut the front door!" instead.

Ah! Not that she does all that much to disguise her potty mouth anyways... :lol: But still... the phrase just annoys me... LOL

And ditto to everyone who said Rachel Ray. Every word out of her mouth is like fingernails slowly scratching down an endless chalkboard....

I can't stand it when someone says "I seen". Instead of "I saw" or "I've seen". It kills me.

(sorry if this was already covered)

Oh dear, it seems everyone here would hate listening to me talk for several reasons. First off I was born with a middle and inner ear infections in both ears and those didn't clear up until I was about 12 years old. Hundreds of ear surgeries and 12 years of speach therapy have helped me to speak clearly enough that most people can understand me but I still slip or mess up all the time. I'm happy when someone corrects me but I still get upset when they don't understand why I mispronounced a word in the first place. So it is fine when someone corrects my death into deaf but don't laugh in my face and say what are you deaf? Ummm, yeah, I sort am.

Next is my mother comes southern appalachian hill billy stock but was raised in Arizona. So lunch is called supper but you need to warsh your hands first. My father was 4th generation Coloradian and very old fashioned at that. A shopping cart is a buggy and a stroller is a pram. I married a New Yorkian, so it really can get confusing around here. I'm lucky my kids can talk at all but they all needed some form of speach therapy themselves since they had a hard of hearing mother teaching them how to speak.... and speach problems do run in my family.

My husband likes to say that I can say one word correct: Ruin. I can say ruin perfectly and without an accent but that is the only word. Everything else either has a strong southern accent tied to it or sounds like a hard of hearing person saying it.

So if you all don't know if the person is hard of hearing there may be a real reason why some is saying samich because that really could be what they are hearing. I say sandwhich... I think.

So if any of you were to meet me in person I would drive you batshit crazy but not just because of that but because at times I can talk like Jerry Lewis, Forrest Gump, Rainman and Nell all got together and had a baby that turned out to be me. :oops: Hey wady! :lol:

It seems like there's almost as many ways to mispronounce sandwich as there are kinds of sandwiches. Let's see....

Sammich

Samwich (I reeeeaaaaally hate this one)

Sanwidge (????)

Sanwich

Sandwidge

Sammies, I guess, though I've never hear anyone but Rachael Ray that...

Me too--especially Sammich--makes me climb a wall!

So if you all don't know if the person is hard of hearing there may be a real reason why some is saying samich because that really could be what they are hearing.

Yeah, also the person could be a non-native speaker like my husband. Mispronunciations don't bug me as much either for that reason. If you are an early reader and tend to read more than you encounter new people, you could pronounce a lot of words wrong just because you've never heard them said before. I got "denouement" on a spelling test in high school and had no idea what the teacher was trying to say although I'd read that word many times. I thought "canary" was "cannery" for the longest time because when would I ever hear it said?

I do love regional speech although there are some terms that just bug me. Swamptribe's mention of chester drawers for chest of drawers reminded me of something I really loathe: pronouncing the word "suite" as "suit" as in bedroom suit. I know that this is a regionalism, but it just sounds ignorant to me.

What people call carbonated beverages is very regional and there are some interesting local terms. In the Boston area, tonic is the traditional name for sodapop. Some older Southerners call soda "dope". You would also hear "drank" for drink and co-cola. Those usages are fading though. http://popvssoda.com:2998/

Archived