IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

Along the same lines, I hate when people refer to "Baby" instead of "the baby". This happens even after the baby is born, and everyone knows it's a HE and his name is Sam. Drives me batty, and it sounds like bad English even though I know people are referring to the baby as "Baby" instead of "Sam".

Oh, goodness, yes. If you don't know the kid's name, ask. Or refer to them as "your baby" or "Angela's baby," not just Baby.

I always end up thinking they're talking about their dog or cat named Baby, then I'm confused as to why they're saying that Baby needs socks/a hat/looks hungry...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandparents say supper to refer to the evening meal, and dinner in reference to lunch. Nobody else says it, not even their own kids, and us grandkids have always wondered how the heck it came about.

When I was growing up in a rural part of Pennsylvania, our family had breakfast, lunch(a light meal), and supper (our main meal). Except on Sunday's we had our main meal at noon and called it dinner.

We called my grandparents Meemaw and Pawpaw. My cousin named them; I didn't have a choice.

I hate:

My bad

It's all good

process as a verb, especially in regards to food

EVOO (it's why I hate Rachel Ray with the strength of a thousand suns. Just say olive oil, bitch!)

sweet as the fundies use it

hubby

DH, DD, DS

girl for anyone over 20 years of age

honey do list

anyone who uses honey as a term of endearment. I named my father Honey when I was two years old. So I only know the word as my father's name. Hence, hearing lovers refer to each other as Honey sounds squicky to me. I know it's weird.

EVOO (it's why I hate Rachel Ray with the strength of a thousand suns. Just say olive oil, bitch!)

Thank you! It doesn't matter if it's extra virgin olive oil or not. There's no difference in taste! And EVOO is supposed to be an abreviation. You're not shortening anything when you have to say "EVOO, that's extra virgin olive oil" every single time.

This never made sense to me since EVOO takes so much longer to say. Most of the time you use "extra virgin" olive oil, so there's no reason to specify it. Only on the occasions where you use "light" olive oil, should you specify it. Most cooks know you mean extra virgin olive oil, when you say "olive oil".

Plus, ee-vee-oh-oh just sounds stupid. Take that, Rachel Ray.

It doesn't matter if it's extra virgin olive oil or not. There's no difference in taste!

I believe there is. Take a look at bottles of Filippo Berio Olive Oil the next time you are in a grocery store. The extra virgin is a darker, well, olive green color while the light olive oil is more of a deep yellow color. Extra virgin olive oil is supposed to have more of a pronounced taste. It's the first pressing of the olives (i.e., virgin), so the flavor is deeper.

Two things:

The word 'tween' drives me up the walls. There are no tweens. There are babies, toddlers, children, teenagers, adults, and elders. Young adults as well, if you absolutely must. But here are no Tweens. They are children. Stop trying to make it a thing so that you [retailers] can pretend eleven year olds aren't kids and you can sell them thongs. *twitch* HUGE pet peeve, sorry.

Also, the terms 'reboot' and 'reimagining.' It's neither, you tools. It's a RE-MAKE. Call it what it is, please. Calling it a reboot doesn't magically make it more original.

*grumbles, shakes her cane and goes off to complain about linguists these days*

I believe there is. Take a look at bottles of Filippo Berio Olive Oil the next time you are in a grocery store. The extra virgin is a darker, well, olive green color while the light olive oil is more of a deep yellow color. Extra virgin olive oil is supposed to have more of a pronounced taste. It's the first pressing of the olives (i.e., virgin), so the flavor is deeper.

Maybe in a salad dressing where it's the main ingredient but when you're using a tbsp to sautee an onion and garlic which will then be added to a soup?

I also hate Rachel Ray immensely. Her expressions are like fingernails on a chalkboard. EVOO, sammies, Yum-O - they're all awful.

Extra virgin olive oil is meant to be a condiment and not really a cooking oil. For cooking, one uses regular olive oil. Not that I'd expect a salad-and-sandwich maker like Rachel Ray to know that. There are so many incorrect cooking terms floating around Food Network. Carmelize, for one. They use that one all the time, when it should only be applied when the natural sugars in food are browning, and reach a certain temperature. Meat, for instance, can't be caramelized. The browning is called the Maillard Reaction. They also don't know the difference between sauteing and frying. I could go on and on...

Didn't I already say that once? Bad language practices are a huge pet peeve of mine. :naughty:

This is a little off topic, but I just re-watched the 19 Kids and Counting birth episode. There's a scene where Josh says to Anna, "You can do this". Then, there's a talking head spot where Josh says, "I expressed to Anna that she can do this". In that case, Josh, you didn't 'express' to Anna, you 'said' to Anna. Quit trying to use big words to make yourself sound more intelligent. Had you motioned to her w/ your hands that she was capable of delivering the baby, then using the word 'express' would be appropriate. Had you paraphrased what you said using a different set of words, that would be 'expressing' to Anna. Otherwise, it's just highfalutin language for no good reason.

We called my grandparents Meemaw and Pawpaw. My cousin named them; I didn't have a choice.

I hate:

My bad

It's all good

process as a verb, especially in regards to food

sweet as the fundies use it

hubby

DH, DD, DS

girl for anyone over 20 years of age

honey do list

anyone who uses honey as a term of endearment. I named my father Honey when I was two years old. So I only know the word as my father's name. Hence, hearing lovers refer to each other as Honey sounds squicky to me. I know it's weird.

I sent my 41 year old friend as e-mail last night in which I said "Girl, don;t let it bother you." I totally use "girl" for my friends in ways like that.

Also guilty of typing DH. I would never SAY DH, and I HATE HUBBY with a passion, but DH is ok to me.

Also despise "My Bad" . I probably hate that more than anything else going at this time.

There's a scene where Josh says to Anna, "You can do this". Then, there's a talking head spot where Josh says, "I expressed to Anna that she can do this".

Yes, I hate when arrogant people try to speak for me. I don't mind sincere encouragement, but I don't wanna hear "You can do this babe..." from some smug person.

Or (in movies) when someone says "Shhhhh...it's okay" then hugs a person when they're crying. It would drive me crazy if someone did that to me. If I'm crying--shut up and let me cry!

I admit that I don't like it when adults, such as those in a romantic relationship, refer to each other as "baby." It kind of skeeves me out (although I admit I'm weird). I'm multiple decades old so I'm definitely not a baby.

It's not so much a vocabulary issue, but one thing that annoys me to no end is when people refuse to pluralize -ist words like communist, scientist, etc. I grade a lot of papers where I read about what the abolitionist did to end slavery and I have to resist being too snarky when I point out that there were actually multiple abolitionists (and not just one who was very active).

Wow - this thread is going to make me self-conscious! Maybe that's a good thing.

The one that's bothering me the most right now is when someone starts every other sentence with "Honestly. . ."

If you feel the need to tell me you plan to be honest with what you're about to say, what should I think when you don't say "Honestly. . ." first? That you're lying to me?

It's stupid, I know, but it bugs me.

"Amazing" and "Awesome" get on my nerves, too.

Jessica, you'd just hate me. I eat supper! And I say Aauuuuuuuunt. (If there is a "u" in the word, I intend to pronounce it.) But that being said, I also think it's regional. Most of my family, friends and neighbors from where I grew up say Aunt (not Ant), but it's a very Norwegian area and the Norsk word for Aunt is Tante. It's common to use the term supper for the evening meal, and dinner for the noon meal. I think it's because dinner was a large meal since I came from farm families--lunch is a light meal eaten when you're not doing heavy manual labor, or for us it's snacks, cookies, bars, fruit and open faced sandwiches with coffee eaten around 3 PM, after dinner but before supper. Good Norwegian Farmers. :) And despite eating like that (breakfast, lunch, dinner, lunch, supper, lunch, bedtime snack), they're generally slim. Hard work burns calories!

But much of it can be regional, I think, and it mostly annoys people who are from elsewhere. Around where I live now, people drop the infinitive, which drives me nuts (though I admit I've thought it once or twice--they're converting me!) Here's an example: "The car needs washed." (not to be washed) Or "That needs fixed." (Not fixing.) It's weird! But people make fun of me for saying, "I stopped to put some gas on," meaning I bought petroleum and put it in my car. It's just what we say where I'm from, so I never even thought about it.

An old one--when telling a funny story, to add the phrase, "I was laughing!" Really!?!? You were!?!? Well DUH IF IT WAS FUNNY THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE DO.

Ginormous. NO. It's either giant or enormous and that's enough, thank you. Would you say tinyscule? mediverage?

Also, fundie-wise and others, too--I hate the overuse of "epic". It is apparently the new "awesome". I remember the photos on Liberty's (I think?) page of what's-his-face with the lame little Rushdooney tote bag in Vatican square being described as "epic". It was not even close. Epic was the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Rushdooney on a tote bag in the Pope's backyard is just stupid.

There's a girl in my program who says "important" wrong. It comes out something like "impora-int" and drives me crazy. She starts almost every comment in class with "Well, I think it's really impora-int to remember X" and I just want to smack her.

I also hate OMG (or O-Em-Gee, depending on who you are :D ). For the love of all things good, be creative in expressing yourself!

Can't stand headship, transfer of authority...all those type of terms. For everyday terms the word "appalled" just because it sounds so dramatic, and is usually used for little things. When people pronounce frustration as flustration :x

Note, I checked our local craigslist, and there were no posts for "chester drawers". Maybe it's regional?

I used to know someone who used the word "imparticular" when she meant "particular" - and somehow managed to work it into every other sentence, or that's how it felt at the time ;) "In this imparticular instance..."

Also many of the words my erstwhile housemate routinely used. "Bop" as in "I've just been bopping around town all day," and anything that was funny was a "gas"... He was in his seventies, though, maybe that explains some of it. We used to have epic arguments about the correct meanings of words and would sit in the kitchen for hours with our respective dictionaries (mine was new, his was from 1954).

I also hate the word "hubby," and you will never hear/see me use it. I think DH is okay, though.

I used to know someone who used the word "imparticular" when she meant "particular" - and somehow managed to work it into every other sentence, or that's how it felt at the time ;) "In this imparticular instance..."

Oh, that reminds me of another pet peeve of mine: "irregardless" instead of plain old "regardless".

Another New Englander here, who is incapable of calling her mother's sister "Ant" instead of "Aunt. I'm not trying to sound lah-de-dah--honest!

I was always taught that "dinner" is the principal (most elaborate) meal of the day, whether it's served at noon or in the evening. Examples:

On weekdays--Breakfast, lunch, dinner

On Sunday--Breakfast, dinner, supper

F'rinstance, a lunch or supper would be a sandwich or a bowl of soup or something; a dinner would be the traditional meat-potatoes-vegetable kind of thing.

Re the MeMaw thing (and a little OT):

In our extended family, a woman shared a three-family house with her two grown children and their spouses. They'd constantly yell up the stairs to her, "Hey, Ma!" So their kids grew up calling their grandmother Heyma.

In the New York/New Jersey branch of my family, I have an Aunt (pronounced "Ant") Joann. Her great-nieces and nephews, and some of her grandchildren, have just shortened it to "Ann."

Oh, that reminds me of another pet peeve of mine: "irregardless" instead of plain old "regardless".

I know what you mean. I've heard this a few times: "Flustrated". You can be frustrated or flustered, but you can't be "Flustrated". I guess mispronunciations in general get under my skin.

I know what you mean. I've heard this a few times: "Flustrated". You can be frustrated or flustered, but you can't be "Flustrated". I guess mispronunciations in general get under my skin.

That's funny, because my husband's whole extended family says "fustrated" - with no "R". He doesn't, thank goodness. They also say "south-o-more" instead of "sophomore" and "par-ME-see-an" instead of "parmesan" and "haul-E-cost" instead of "holocaust".

I have no idea why. :lol:

corrected for wrong letter - I'm confusing even myself!

Archived