IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also despise hubby and preggo/preggers.

The use of "beyond" anything. "Beyond mad". So...you were really mad? It's such a lazy way to talk.

I cannot stand when people use words whose actual meaning clearly eludes them. It's one thing if you don't know how to pronounce something--but why would you employ a word if you're not certain what it means? You wouldn't reach for a Robertson if you needed a Phillips would you? (No Doug references, please. :P )

Also, mistakes like affect/effect, infer/imply...

I forgot the WORST Rachel Ray inanity: sammy.

Ugh. I hate that too. You are not five years old, Rachel Ray.

ETA: I looked at the D'Elias menu and it sounds yummy. Or should that be "Yum-O!"

POP,hoagie or sub in PA.

That's funny. I've been living in various parts of PA since I started college in 2000 and I've NEVER heard someone call soda pop and I've only heard older people call subs hoagies. Even now that I live in a town that's much more insular, I've still never heard it.

That's funny. I've been living in various parts of PA since I started college in 2000 and I've NEVER heard someone call soda pop and I've only heard older people call subs hoagies. Even now that I live in a town that's much more insular, I've still never heard it.

In the Pittsburgh or Western PA. area? I have lived in this area most of my life(excpet college and 2 years in LA.) and its pop. My first job was a Rudy's Subs and people would come in and say "Gimme a footlong Italian" (pronounced EYE tal yan) and every kids sports team has "hoagie sales" for fundraisers. :)

In the Pittsburgh or Western PA. area? I have lived in this area most of my life(excpet college and 2 years in LA.) and its pop. My first job was a Rudy's Subs and people would come in and say "Gimme a footlong Italian" (pronounced EYE tal yan) and every kids sports team has "hoagie sales" for fundraisers. :)

Southern and Eastern PA.

I forgot which TV personality says this, but "How Ya Doin'?" When I hear that, it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I think of leaving t's out of words as a country accent thing. Like, "We howpe it dawsant raeen befowre tha co'on (cotton) geets peeicked." I don't hate it more than I hate country accents in general.

I got called darlin' once. Blech.

I liked "totes" before I realized it was short for "totally." Then I started hating it. "Totes adorbs" is pretty much the worst thing ever.

I have a Mamaw and a Papaw. You can't really ask hillbillies to be called "grandmother" and "grandfather" though, because they'll end up being called "graeendmaaw" and "graeendpaaw." You can't stop it. It doesn't stop.

Ooh, I hate the "invested" thing, too. The Duggars use that word constantly for their relationships, like Josh talking about his grandpa 'investing' in his life. What the fuck are you talking about, dude. You invest in commodities, not people, and the ultimate purpose of investing is to get something material back, usually money. Personal relationships with friends and family shouldn't be viewed in terms of profit, even if there's an emotional reward involved.

I also hate when people say "especially" with a k or x sound, like "expecially". That really aggravates me.

And a Duggar-specific one is their habit of saying 'usually always'. "Jim Bob is usually always late." He is either always late or he's usually late, you don't use both words together like that! :roll:

My family always referred to family members by their status (so my mother refers to my father by a word that means "Dad" when talking to me) but we speak Japanese and I can't imagine any other way to do it? Do you call your husband by his first name in front of the kids? "Go ask sister" similarly sounds normal to me as a concept but maybe in English it's a bit weird.

On the other hand, I have no kids. But my own husband calls me "honey," I have to admit it's kinda... hm, not such a fan, but I appreciate the thought so live with it. :) He does say "acrost" though too. Now that I recognize it I get a little chuckle, it's a dialect thing apparently. We both say "the car needs washed," it's a Midwestern thing, I have to admit I started saying it to fit in.

Among fundie words probably "fellowshipping" annoys me the most. Regular ol' visiting friends is not good enough??

I will definitely be adopting "tinyscule" though, purely tongue in cheek as a riff on "ginormous." I'm still smiling over it pages later! :D

Ugh. I hate that too. You are not five years old, Rachel Ray.

ETA: I looked at the D'Elias menu and it sounds yummy. Or should that be "Yum-O!"

I share the hate for the inanity that is Rachael Ray. Every once in a while I surf past her talk show and EVERY SINGLE TIME she now uses "literally" as liberally as she used to throw out "EVOO" and "sammie," which she's toned down a lot of late...doesn't make her any more likeable.

I live in CA, where there are 3 accents: anchorman (me), Valley Girl, or western hick. Since we're a hodepodge of people from everywhere around the country, but mostly the midwest or northeast, we hear pretty much everything. It's fun to watch a person from Boston conversing with a person from Wisconsin about sandwiches or carbonated beverages. :mrgreen:

I live in CA, where there are 3 accents: anchorman (me), Valley Girl, or western hick.

Off Topic: I was almost seven when we moved to Kentucky and I pretty much had a Valley Girl accent (we did live in the Valley). I had the HARDEST time understanding the southern accent here. The way they draw out their 'i's" "hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" still drives me nuts. When someone says "farplace" instead of "fireplace" I really want to beat them with a red hot poker. Then again, if someone hears me exclaim "Oh my god!" like I walked out of a cliched '80's movie I'm sure they'd want to totally beat me down, too.

I have too many to name, but two mispronunciations that came to mind right away: exscape for "escape" and supposably for "supposedly." THAT'S NOT HOW THEY'RE SPELLED!!! And for God's sake, if you're a college professor, you should probably figure that out.

Grow a company.

I'm fine with growing carrots, but when you say, "I spent the last five years growing the business.." it makes me want to shriek.

What a great thread!

This one doesn't annoy me so much as it makes me wonder "WTF"... Why do some people put an "r" in wash??? Warsh. My mom does it. When I was little, it confused me. My mom pronounces a lot of words funny. I always wondered if it has to do with the fact that, since their arrival in the US back in the 1800s, her family has lived within a small community of Catholics of German-descent. Some of her pronunciations are "tallit" for toilet, "melk" for milk, "yisterday" for yesterday", and "luh-yer" for liar. It's weird because, with the exception of "melk", I have never heard anyone else around here talk like that.

When Kristina labelled a picture of her daughter "My Soak and Wet Daughter" (after the baby was playing in a fountain), I wondered if she was trying to be cute, or if she really thought that's what the phrase is.

I'll admit when i was young I thought the phrase "For all intents and purposes" was "For all intensive purposes".

I admit to thinking the same thing

My grandparents say supper to refer to the evening meal, and dinner in reference to lunch. Nobody else says it, not even their own kids, and us grandkids have always wondered how the heck it came about.

I'm probably repeating what someone else has said (only halfway through the thread), but dinner is traditionally your large meal of the day. So if you have your large meal in the evening, then you have breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you have your large meal at midday, you have breakfast, dinner and supper.

Grow a company.

I'm fine with growing carrots, but when you say, "I spent the last five years growing the business.." it makes me want to shriek.

Oh! I hate this one, too, and I can't figure out why. "Grow your marriage" is the one that I always hear. And first I thought I hated it because "grow" is not a transitive verb, but as you say "growing carrots" is okay.. so why is the other use so so wrong?

anyone who uses honey as a term of endearment. I named my father Honey when I was two years old. So I only know the word as my father's name. Hence, hearing lovers refer to each other as Honey sounds squicky to me. I know it's weird.

Am I related to you? My fil is called Honey, it even spread to his employees. My kids and their cousins call him Grandpa Honey.

No one will probably agree with me, but I HATE the word soda. In most parts of Indiana it's pop or coke(even if it's pepsi). I hate going out of state where everyone says soda.

I grew up in Indiana but never heard the coke means all carbonated products used. Here in Memphis that used to be a lot more normal.

I use soda btw. Pop just sounds goofy to me now. (and people here don't really say soda either)

I have heard the word "pop" so much in Washington. Really, that and hoagie may be my undoing. Growing up in Northern California, it was always soda and sub sandwiches.

Except for Milwaukee, and SE Wisconsin. We call it soda.

And a drinking fountain is called a "bubbler."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbler

When we first moved to WI, my mom worked as a substitute teacher. Some kid kept asking her if he could go to the bubbler. She kept saying no, because she thought he was trying to play a trick on her. She didn't figure out until the end of the day that he wanted to go to go get a drink of water.

By any chance, do you happen to drink white soda?

What a great thread!

This one doesn't annoy me so much as it makes me wonder "WTF"... Why do some people put an "r" in wash??? Warsh. My mom does it. When I was little, it confused me. My mom pronounces a lot of words funny. I always wondered if it has to do with the fact that, since their arrival in the US back in the 1800s, her family has lived within a small community of Catholics of German-descent. Some of her pronunciations are "tallit" for toilet, "melk" for milk, "yisterday" for yesterday", and "luh-yer" for liar. It's weird because, with the exception of "melk", I have never heard anyone else around here talk like that.

Once upon a time there was a big storm, and all those "r"s blew out of Boston and ended up in the Midwest...

I LOATHE the pronunciation "asterick." It's ASTERISK, people! If you can't pronounce it, say "star" instead!

Archived