IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

lol Austin. I used to do the "Chester-Drawers" thing when I was a kid. Took me a while to realize it's Chest of Drawers! :lol:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard this a few times: "Flustrated"

Urgh. My sister says "fustrated". Uh, no dear, there are TWO Rs in that word.

Hane beat me to it -- I always understood that dinner was the main meal of the day, whether at midday or in the evening. If you had dinner at noon, you had supper in the evening; dinner in the evening, then lunch at noon. Another Northeasterner here.

It drives me bonkers when people pronounce "height" as "heith" The h is BEFORE the t.

ETA: You posted while i was writing, Austin!

Everyone I know that says Chester Drawers is Southern and over 45 so I think it might be one of those old fashioned phrases.

Things that drive me crazy- the southern pronunciation of Jordan. They pronounce it Jer- as in jerk- Dan instead of the o sound. I also can't stand Buckhanan for Buchanan.

No one will probably agree with me, but I HATE the word soda. In most parts of Indiana it's pop or coke(even if it's pepsi). I hate going out of state where everyone says soda.

So many of the above (especially in regards to Rachael Ray; you're a grown woman for crying out loud!), but also:

-Obviously... obviously, if you have to state something is obvious, it isn't obvious

-Bling or any permutation thereof.

No one will probably agree with me, but I HATE the word soda. In most parts of Indiana it's pop or coke(even if it's pepsi). I hate going out of state where everyone says soda.

When the show Detroit 187 was filming here (I live in Detroit), they said "soda" in their first episode. There was such an uproar, they wrote the last scene where the main character's son told his dad: "It's POP, not soda." :lol:

I was just about to post about my dislike for the word "pop"! :whistle: It's definitely a regional thing. I'm from the South, therefore, I call it soda! :mrgreen:

I also can't stand "EVOO".

I was just about to post about my dislike for the word "pop"! :whistle: It's definitely a regional thing. I'm from the South, therefore, I call it soda! :mrgreen:

I also can't stand "EVOO".

Everyone where I live calls soft drinks Coke. It normally goes like this- "Hey, can you grab me a coke on your way back from the fridge?" "Sure, what kind?" Sprite." To me soda is more of a West Coast thing.

edited because I forgot to uncapitalize something after I added a word in front of it.

Pop is definitely a mid west thing. I grew up in Ohio and my college friends in Minneapolis get on my case about it. Apparently only baking soda can be soda.

Let's see.....

Not really a vocabulary thing, but I hate it when people in commercial say normal everyday words/items/products like they're the BEST THING EVER MADE. A recent subway commercial has in fact made me hate the word "avocado" because of the satisfied way the actor says the word. IT'S AVOCADO. YOU CAN BUY ONE AT THE STORE FOR A DOLLAR. It's not like it's freakin' steak tartar in your sandwich.

I think it's a very local thing, but I grew up calling Reeses-Cups Reesey-Cups. Another thing my Minnesota friends get on my case about. :lol:

Also, the phrase water ice, as used to refer to italian ice. That just confuses the heck out of me. What do they call just plain ice? It's made of water. Water ice as a food product just sounds idiotic.

It took me a long time to figure out that "drainage ditch" wasn't "drainitch ditch". And that "Juana" wasn't pronounced "Jew-Anna".

There's a girl in my program who says "important" wrong. It comes out something like "impora-int" and drives me crazy. She starts almost every comment in class with "Well, I think it's really impora-int to remember X" and I just want to smack her.

I also hate OMG (or O-Em-Gee, depending on who you are :D ). For the love of all things good, be creative in expressing yourself!

Everyone I know insists I say "important" wrong, that I don't pronounce the T's (apparently I also say "button" funny). I blame this on the fact that for several years I had an orthodontic device on the roof of my mouth that made it physically impossible for me to get my tongue in the correct position to pronounce a T like in "important," although I can't hear any difference between what I'm saying and what everyone else is saying.

To add to my list of hated words: random. My sister and her friends went through a period where everything was "so random." They would say things like, "And then he ate the whole sandwich. It was so random." I would be like, no, it wasn't random. The use of random in that context does not even make any sense.

Ditto whoever said "epic."

I hate the phrase "Epic (Win/Fail)" Horrible.

Other words/phrases I detest:

"Kudos" when congratulating someone. It sounds so cold and insincere.

"Hubby" *UGH* Sounds so infantile- why not just say my HUSBAND?

"Literally" when you actually mean "Figuratively" speaking.

"Hoagie" - such an odd word. In New England, we would call this a sub or a grinder.

"Supper" instead of dinner.

"Preggo" "Preggers" "Knocked Up"

"Legit"

"Totes" in place of "Totally".

"Conversate"- Not a real word, people!

"Agreeance" - due to Kate Gosselin's love of this gem, I've noticed more people saying this more frequently.

Oh and when people can't seem to differentiate between "You're" "Your" "Their", "There" and "They're".

"Aint"

Oh and for you New Yorkers out there, I had a friend from Staten Island who used to pronounce 'breakfast' as "Breck-FIX" and 'toothpaste' as "TOO-Paste". It used to drive me up the wall.

Fundie words/phrases I detest:

Help meet

Countenance-most over-used fundie term, EVER.

Modesty

Blessing

Love this thread! Language is fascinating :)

The dinner/supper thing is funny! I didn't know there were differences on that in the US!

It's a class issue over here, I think. We have breakfast, dinner (or lunch) and tea (what you would call dinner). Supper's what you have just before you go to bed. Of course there are many variations on this depends on your class background and where you are in the UK.

We all have some habits that irritate other people. My family's from London and I picked up the London "...innit" That means "isn't it" but it actually doesn't go in a sentence always like "isn't it" would go. For example it sounds alright to say

"After that, I lost my job, innit."

or

"The film starts at nine, innit?"

Apparently this shift in "innit" was caused by so much immigration of Asian people to London. I read a very interesting article on it. That linguistic usage is apparently very common in some Asian languages. I looked into this because I have a pal who says she finds it really irritating when I do it, so I tried to stop (unsuccessfully) and then wondered why I did it in the first place.

Scots is also interesting. Things like "Whit for can ye no?" for "Why can't you?" :) Because of grammatical and other differences, in Scotland Scots is classified as a separate language from English. Scots is very hard for an English person to understand sometimes so when someone speaks Scots in a programme on the telly it may be subtitled in England.

Anyway, wandering wildly off topic! :oops: I really hate when someone says "You feel me?" to mean "You see where I'm coming from?" or "You know what I mean?" No, my friend, I am not feeling you, and I do not intend to start.

Other words/phrases I detest:

"Kudos" when congratulating someone. It sounds so cold and insincere.

YES THIS! It sounds either sarcastic or as if the person's saying it unwillingly IMO.

I sent my 41 year old friend as e-mail last night in which I said "Girl, don;t let it bother you." I totally use "girl" for my friends in ways like that.

THAT I don't mind - when it's a tongue-in-cheek friend thing. I was thinking about 34 SAHD who refer to themselves as a girl or some fundie mom who has 17 children and thinks of herself as a precious princess.

"Hoagie" - such an odd word. In New England, we would call this a sub or a grinder.

ITA. They call them grinders in California as well - or at least a a sandwich shop in Riverside. I grew up calling them grinders. Everything else sounds weird.

I think the coke/soda/pop thing may be regional. I grew up thinking coke was the word for any soda and we do the whole "what kind of coke do you want?" thing.

Anyone who uses "you know what I'm saying" more than once in a conversation. Yes, I have been responding to you and I do understand English. Shut up!

HATE the phrase help meet. It makes no sense in the written form, and sounds like "help meat" when spoken. When a woman says that she's a man's "help meat", it conjures up a visual that, well, never mind...

It irritates me when people confuse the word advice with advise. You don't need my advise, you need my advice.

Love this thread! Language is fascinating :) ...We all have some habits that irritate other people...

And THAT seems to be the takeaway from this thread. :) :)

oh yes, THANK YOU for the rachel ray hate. she makes me crazy. somebody got me her magazine subscription a few years ago, and it was totally unreadable...all the "RACH'S FAVE!" and YUM-O! blerg. awful.

things like "irregardless", "taken for granite", "intensive purposes" make me nutty, too.

i stand by my absolute adoration for Chester Drawers.

Apparently this shift in "innit" was caused by so much immigration of Asian people to London. I read a very interesting article on it. That linguistic usage is apparently very common in some Asian languages. I looked into this because I have a pal who says she finds it really irritating when I do it, so I tried to stop (unsuccessfully) and then wondered why I did it in the first place.

That I can confirm a little bit. In Japanese there is a class of sounds that are almost like spoken punctuation. Even when speaking very formally, most sentences have some kind of "softener" on the end. It's part of the culture of making language and interaction softer and less "harsh" to listener. When I was first learning I was almost constantly told that my way of speaking was too harsh. Little things like ne or wa or yo serve to soften things as well as convey tone. Wa is traditionally a word used by women, yo indicates excitement or denotes an interjection, etc.... (For you game fans out there, Kupo is another one of these words. Just a made-up one. :mrgreen: )

I've often tried to explain this to people, but it's hard because there's no universal element of English that serves a similar purpose. It's a lot like the Londoner "innit" or someone tacking "eh" onto all their sentences., but if you live in a region where there's not phrase like that you're shit outta luck.

I'll get off my exchange student soap box now. :angry-soapbox:

Guest Anonymous

Hmm, here in Ontario Canada it is "pop" - I have no idea if there are any regional differences in Canada when it comes to that (?) It is also breakfast, lunch and dinner/supper interchangeably, with Sunday dinner being a larger meal mid afternoon.

I hate the words purposed and repurposed, especially repurposed. In the land of interior design and reno shows I've noticed they use it a lot - "we have repurposed this bench as a shoe rack", or "look at the repurposed bench - now it holds shoes!"

POP,hoagie or sub in PA.

Pittsburgh has its own dialect. YINZ is said for "you guys" or "you all". (Are yinz going to the concert?) I do NOT say that, but I have as a child and my dad and all my inlaws who grew up in Pittsburgh do.

They also pronounce things like "down town" would be "daun taun". There is a book on Pittsburgh dialect.

POP,hoagie or sub in PA.

Pittsburgh has its own dialect. YINZ is said for "you guys" or "you all". (Are yinz going to the concert?) I do NOT say that, but I have as a child and my dad and all my inlaws who grew up in Pittsburgh do.

They also pronounce things like "down town" would be "daun taun". There is a book on Pittsburgh dialect.

My sister says "youse" instead of "you guys" or "you all". She sounds like she's straight out of a Rocky movie sometimes :roll:

Speaking of Rocky, I grew up about an hour away from Philadelphia (I don't say "youse" lol), and we called submarine sandwiches hoagies, too. Or cheesesteaks. Even if the hoagie wasn't a cheesesteak, we'd say that we were going to "pick up the cheesesteaks". I never heard of sub or grinder until I moved to Ohio. I don't get grinder to this day.

As far as funidie speak I don't like "invested in," as in "I invested in their lives" or "Thank you for investing in my life."

In everyday speak, "my bad" drives me crazy. My pet peeve would have to be, "I agree with you 150%." I'm looking at you, Randy Jackson. Although he would say a hundred million percent. You can't agree more than 100% and you can't give more than 100%.

I live in CA, and I've never heard of a sandwich on a roll called anything but a sub.

I live in CA, and I've never heard of a sandwich on a roll called anything but a sub

D'Elia's Grinders in Riverside. http://www.deliasgrinders.com/menu.html Every year my parents go to CA to visit friends, etc. and they always stop at D'Elia's and they call me while they munch grinders. They're cruel people.

I forgot the WORST Rachel Ray inanity: sammy. I can't take her language fuckery at all. I honestly may need some kind of therapy for my intense hatred of everything about her.

Encouragement. I never thought about it until the fundies started using it about everything. "My godly DH has been eating bran cereal to control the regularity of his headship bowels. It's such an encouragement to others to see how God can work miracles in our lives to relieve us from the pain of constipation. Glory be!"

Archived