IGNORED

Duggar World Tour

Kitten

Watching part 1 of the world tour right now

Can you give me the address, please? I just can't find a link that is available outside USA.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, x1000! London has so many amazing places to see, not to mention the rest of the UK. Heck, there's the British Museum, the Maritime Museum, Trafalgar Square, the Tower... even if they just wanted to stick to religious sites, there's Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral, and that's only in London! They could have toured around and seen so many other religious and historical sites, learned about medieval or Victorian architecture and history.... I don't know why they didn't negotiate spending at least a couple more days. I've been once to London for 2 days and if I ever get there again, it'll be difficult to drag me away.

It's difficult to find a less educational 'educational' trip than one of Doug Phillips' ramblings through Europe, but the Duggars appear to have trumped him comprehensively. At least Dougie takes people to historical sites and museums, even if it is only so he can show off how many books he read about them on the plane.

London has so many amazing places to see, not to mention the rest of the UK. Heck, there's the British Museum, the Maritime Museum, Trafalgar Square, the Tower... even if they just wanted to stick to religious sites, there's Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral, and that's only in London! They could have toured around and seen so many other religious and historical sites, learned about medieval or Victorian architecture and history.... I don't know why they didn't negotiate spending at least a couple more days. I've been once to London for 2 days and if I ever get there again, it'll be difficult to drag me away.

I lived in the UK for a year, and whenever I was in funds I headed to London. I love the Abbey and St Paul's (I met one of the minor Canons - think that was his title - over 10 years ago, anyway he was an old sweetie) but I doubt the Duggars would go there because it would suggest there are other denominations of Christianity besides Gothard-ism.

There's plenty of non-defrauding action in London that would allow the family to see a little more of the planet they live on.

If I took a fundie family that size to London for two days I would make sure they saw:

• The London Eye
    (good for the little ones, point out important landmarks to the older kids)
    The Tower
    (force older kids to take a test on history of Tudors afterwards)
    Trafalgar Square and the National Portrait Gallery
    (no nike boobies, just faces, JimBoob can oggle James I)
    Imperial War Museum
    (actual history again - if the boys play dress up in ATI costume they should get to see what war is really like)
    V&A
    (we could jender-segregate and the boys could look at weapons and the J-slaves at the history of fashion: maybe get some ideas for improving the frumpers - also lots of children's exhibits for wee ones)
    Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
    (JBoob trussed up like Hannibal Lector)

I would sneak them at least past the Globe Theatre, although I suspect Shakespeare is not Gothard-approved. Same for Baker Street. Also past Westminster Abbey to point out the West Wall / 20th Century Martyrs.

I would also let the little ones play in Hyde Park/ Regents Park, maybe take them to the zoo or a canal ride.

If they had to shop, why not take them to Harrod's/ let them look in the windows of the posh places in the West End? The hat shop wasn't Philip Treacy's, was it?

A proper afternoon tea, not the 'high' tea sold to Americans to make it more fancy.

Where would other FJers take the Duggars?

I lived in the UK for a year, and whenever I was in funds I headed to London. I love the Abbey and St Paul's (I met one of the minor Canons - think that was his title - over 10 years ago, anyway he was an old sweetie) but I doubt the Duggars would go there because it would suggest there are other denominations of Christianity besides Gothard-ism.

There's plenty of non-defrauding action in London that would allow the family to see a little more of the planet they live on.

If I took a fundie family that size to London for two days I would make sure they saw:

• The London Eye
    (good for the little ones, point out important landmarks to the older kids)
    The Tower
    (force older kids to take a test on history of Tudors afterwards)
    Trafalgar Square and the National Portrait Gallery
    (no nike boobies, just faces, JimBoob can oggle James I)
    Imperial War Museum
    (actual history again - if the boys play dress up in ATI costume they should get to see what war is really like)
    V&A
    (we could jender-segregate and the boys could look at weapons and the J-slaves at the history of fashion: maybe get some ideas for improving the frumpers - also lots of children's exhibits for wee ones)
    Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
    (JBoob trussed up like Hannibal Lector)

I would sneak them at least past the Globe Theatre, although I suspect Shakespeare is not Gothard-approved. Same for Baker Street. Also past Westminster Abbey to point out the West Wall / 20th Century Martyrs.

I would also let the little ones play in Hyde Park/ Regents Park, maybe take them to the zoo or a canal ride.

If they had to shop, why not take them to Harrod's/ let them look in the windows of the posh places in the West End? The hat shop wasn't Philip Treacy's, was it?

A proper afternoon tea, not the 'high' tea sold to Americans to make it more fancy.

The Natural History Museum. That way Jimboob can learn something.

• The London Eye (good for the little ones, point out important landmarks to the older kids)
    The Tower (force older kids to take a test on history of Tudors afterwards)
    Trafalgar Square and the National Portrait Gallery (no nike boobies, just faces, JimBoob can oggle James I)
    Imperial War Museum (actual history again - hey if the boys play dress up in ATI costume they should get to see what war is really like)
    V&A (we could jender-segregate and the boys could look at weapons and the J-slaves at the history of fashion: maybe get some ideas for improving the frumpers - also lots of children's exhibits for wee ones)
    Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace (JBoob trussed up like Hannibal Lector)
    I would sneak them at least past the Globe Theatre, although I suspect Shakespeare is not Gothard-approved. Same for Baker Street.

Without wishing to disparage Tontitown, Arkansas, there's probably more in the way of cultural events in London - they could take this opportunity to go to the opera, or the ballet, or see a play, or a musical - or if that might be too defrauding, why not a choral or orchestral concert?

I think any form of science would frighten him so he would just go revert to his natural defense mechanism start spouting nonsense. He'd be on shakier ground if it was recorded history where a guide could say NO, you're WRONG, and here's why you fat moron.

It's so sad that the little girls will never see any type of performing arts. I loved ballet and opera when I was young. Would Boob go into an Anglican church for a free concert?

Jim Bob to the Scottish street performer: "We've had nineteen kids. Praise US! Tell US OUR feats are amazing!" What a tool.

Thanks, annalena for posting the link to the Scottish leg of the journey.

I agree with all your suggestions Renting with Raggles, Sola and FuManchu, and I'd add/elaborate:

- The Houses of Parliament. The Duggars would have an official tour guide to show them round, but as I used to work there I could add some interesting information about the section I used to work in (which isn't covered by the official tours).

- A children's concert at one of the great concert halls - the Royal Albert Hall, perhaps, or the Royal Festival Hall. An ideal programme would contain things such as 'Peter and the Wolf', 'Carnival of the Animals', 'A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra', etc....

- A ballet at the Royal Opera House - 'Swan Lake' or 'The Nutcracker' (if near Christmas), maybe. The boys probably wouldn't want to go owing to the way they're being brought up, but I bet the girls would all enjoy it.

- Covent Garden Piazza and Markets - lots of opportunity to shop at a range of different stalls and see more street performers.

- The Museum of London.

- The Horniman Museum - a very eclectic anthropological museum with collections including a natural history gallery, 1,600 musical instruments with an area where people can play some of them, an aquarium, anthropological ephemera, anatomical specimens and a gallery of African, Afro-Caribbean and Brazilian art. It has extensive family facilities. Yes, I know, the Duggars would never actually set foot here, but I can dream...

- The Museum of Childhood or Pollock's Toy Museum.

- London Aquarium.

- Camden Markets - though the Duggars would freak out at the sight of all the 'alternative' people!

- An open-top bus tour

- Tour of Whitechapel Bell Foundry, which is where Big Ben and Philadelphia's Liberty Bell were made.

- Brick Lane

- Brick Lane

I think JB's head might explode on eating a curry. Particularly if it was explained to him that it doesn't even come from England originally, but from a place even further away. Throw in some naan bread and see if he asks to have it sliced.

Spike was actually played by an American actor... go figure! Oh and yes he was hot!

Yes he was! (and these fundies think women aren't visually stimulated... ;) )

All of these places in London sound so interesting. I've really got to get over my fear of flying....and win the lottery so I could afford the trip. *sigh*

Btw, most houses here don't actually have bidets. Was that in their hotel? I always thought bidets were more of a French thing, to be honest, though I'm happy to be corrected.

I thought forever it was to wash feet as it was what my grandma used it for and what I used it for at a friend's house lol I had a hard time believing it was for another purpose lol (and I was 15).

Yes he was! (and these fundies think women aren't visually stimulated... ;) )

+ 1 He's so awesome in the last season.

I'd have kept them in Edinburgh/Scotland longer. In Edinburgh I'd at least take them to Arthur's seat, if not the Natonal Gallery, National Museum, Camera Obscura, etc. I think they might have been around during the Festival, too; I'm sure there are some Gothard-approved clasical music events on in any given year. They have ceilidhs, too, which I think is a great event for anyone visiting Scotland, but I don't think the Duggars dance.

I'd also take them to see more of the country. Glasgow, St. Andrews, Highlands, Southern Uplands, maybe even Orkney. I'd have loved to have seen them at the Neolithic sites in Orkney.

I actually tend to not like it when people do that. It feels a bit like people are appropriating my culture.

If asked by The Highlanders as Jim Boob was, he would don a kilt (without being held down and it forced upon him)

Donks, is that Sloth from the "Goonies" in your avatar? In doll form? Where did you get that?!

"Goonies never say die!" :)

Lol, yeah it's Sloth, I found it somewhere (?) online while looking for a funny pic of a kid who resembled Kyle from Teen Mom. Weird I know, but it did snag me a neat avatar!

If I were touring the Duggars round London, I would take them to the places everyones mentioned. I would also take them to Hamleys (the giant toy shop to those who don't know) and take the girls to Oxford Street.

They could have easily gone to a westend show - the theatres an hotels hold tickets for tourists - the Lion King is brilliant for all ages. I would love to take the older ones to Billy Elliot just to watch them freak out at all the dancing, and the fact that A BOY wants to dance (and the song where Billy and his friend dress up as girls, would have been priceless)

Did they go on the london eye or an open top bus? London Eye only takes half an hour, and they would have had their own pod, damn stupid if they missed that. There are some really nice Castles to visit in Kent too - some of them have mazes and things they would have had fun.

There are some really nice Castles to visit in Kent too - some of them have mazes and things they would have had fun.

Good point! Hever Castle (Ann Boleyn's childhood home) has a water maze that is fantastic fun.

The Duggars in England? that's surprising, why would they go to the UK where it is the least religious or has no religious people at all? most of the the UKers I read about are atheist, skeptical, agnostic or just plain non-religious. And its probably all thanks to Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens and many other brilliant atheists to break the taboo of questioning religions.

The Duggars in England? that's surprising, why would they go to the UK where it is the least religious or has no religious people at all? most of the the UKers I read about are atheist, skeptical, agnostic or just plain non-religious. And its probably all thanks to Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens and many other brilliant atheists to break the taboo of questioning religions.

They may not be aware of other countries' religious positions - I'm half expecting JB to be shocked when he finds out that the Israelis are, in fact, literally Jewish.

My favorite things from when I went to London were the Tower, the Jack the Ripper tour (at night), Windsor Castle (well it's fairly close to London) and the London Dungeon. I also went to a pretty nice World War II museum. I am really surprised they didn't do the Tower of London. It just seems to be the thing you HAVE to do while you're there!

Archived