IGNORED

Duggar World Tour

Kitten

3 is enough: I love Quebecois swearing! A lot of English words are monosyllabic, which can be appropriate in certain circumstances, but sometimes it's more satisfying to say something longer like 'tabernacle'.

I use "bugger" too (I learned that one from Captain Jack in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies). I didn't know that it would be considered ruder than "bloody" or "arse." It seems so tame to me.

Erm, are you familiar with the meaning of 'bugger'?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My DD was raised on the Briggs FC. He liked to drink a bit IIRC.

I and my sisters LOVED the Briggs Father Christmas. In fact we still do, deep inside! Yep, he is fond of whisky and (possibly) rum. I love Briggs's pencil illustrations, as well as the humour that's so evident.

I and my sisters LOVED the Briggs Father Christmas. In fact we still do, deep inside! Yep, he is fond of whisky and (possibly) rum. I love Briggs's pencil illustrations, as well as the humour that's so evident.

They are a favorite here. She still has the books. And usually we do drag them out for Xmas when she is home to celebrate. He was a human Santa and not a jolly old elf.

I use "bugger" too (I learned that one from Captain Jack in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies). I didn't know that it would be considered ruder than "bloody" or "arse." It seems so tame to me.

It's funny, I use most of these words when I'm alone in the car (that's when I do most of my swearing). But once I was talking to my mom about our weekend plans and I said something like, "Bloody hell, that's going to take forever." She laughed at me and was like, "What is this, Harry Potter?" Sometimes I forget that most people have never heard my borrowed from the Brits and/or made up swear words (my current favorite is "cripes on a cracker" which I use at least three times per car trip).

That's the funny thing about swear words--they're only offensive if people think they're offensive. When people see it as just what it is--a word--then it becomes a tame way to let off steam.

I used to be afraid to even say the word "darn" when I was a nice little fundie lite Catholic homeschooler :lol: Now I swear...well, maybe not as bad as a sailor, but quite prolifically and casually. I think the change came about when I started learning sign language swear words (yes--in class) and used them casually because they were just a new vocabulary word to me. I started signing swear words at people when I was angry--and it just mushroomed from there.

I have a fascination with foreign language swear words...

3 is enough: I love Quebecois swearing! A lot of English words are monosyllabic, which can be appropriate in certain circumstances, but sometimes it's more satisfying to say something longer like 'tabernacle'.

Erm, are you familiar with the meaning of 'bugger'?

Apparently not, although I imagine it has something to do with sex. I guess I hadn't thought of it as having an actual meaning beyond being a handy exclamation for when something isn't going right.

My brit friends use "bugger"sometimes, but even then not much. Most of the british swear words I've heard aren't from my brit friends, but from aussies, who swear like mother's milk :D But the aussie one the aussies themselves use in a mock-funny way is "crikey!" :lol: which I kept trying to say right when they were just here visiting. Don't think I got it right!

Completely OT, but could someone tell me what "DD" means? I see it around here and CANNOT figure out what it is referring to, other than it sounds like it has something to do with referencing a daughter?

Yep, pretty much, and general erosion (they started going downhill at an alarming rate). I believe at some point in the early 20th century people would even try to chip off souvenirs!

I visited in 1967. I have photos of us sitting on the stones. No one tried chipping off a piece.

:o oh - that puts it in a different lightm I always thought it felt more like yelling "shit!" in an annoyed way.

About Stonehenge... I was pretty impressed how JB and Michelle seemed really touched and awed by the place. Anna too, right? She seemed to have a lot of respect for archeologists. I don't see them all leaving there without doing a prayer for purification to such a pagan site, but they did seem to love it anyway. Although maybe that was what Joy's "alien" joke meant, maybe JB couldn't accept that humans did it at all, so said that God put the stones there and she was like "or aliens" :lol: Darn - TLC must have edited out all the religious stuff, because they had to have done it, and I was really looking forward to seeing it!

Completely OT, but could someone tell me what "DD" means? I see it around here and CANNOT figure out what it is referring to, other than it sounds like it has something to do with referencing a daughter?

DD = Dear Daughter or Darling Daughter

:o oh - that puts it in a different lightm I always thought it felt more like yelling "shit!" in an annoyed way.

About Stonehenge... I was pretty impressed how JB and Michelle seemed really touched and awed by the place. Anna too, right? She seemed to have a lot of respect for archeologists. I don't see them all leaving there without doing a prayer for purification to such a pagan site, but they did seem to love it anyway. Although maybe that was what Joy's "alien" joke meant, maybe JB couldn't accept that humans did it at all, so said that God put the stones there and she was like "or aliens" :lol: Darn - TLC must have edited out all the religious stuff, because they had to have done it, and I was really looking forward to seeing it!

Yeah, me too! Although JB is so ignorant, his take on early British religious history would probably have just depressed me if I did hear it.

DD = Dear Daughter or Darling Daughter

awwwwwww!!! *wub* :) :) :)

Yeah, me too! Although JB is so ignorant, his take on early British religious history would probably have just depressed me if I did hear it.

Yeah. But MAN - let's just say that that IS why Joy made that comment, that would be priceless! At first tha's what I thought, but wasn't someone with her like Anna maybe? Or was it Amy. ok someone who works at TLC has GOT to release the edited-out footage when this is all over!

The archaeologist who showed them round is legitimate and not fundy at all (for example, he wrote the English Heritage Guidebook for Stonehenge), so I'm sure he wouldn't have told the Duggars anything that was factually inaccurate.

I'm afraid to find this episode. I don't really understand people who are that incurious about the world they live in that they were blown away by pretty common food items from a culture similar to their own.

How does Anna expect to homeschool with an attitude like that? I get that they couldn't go to places like art galleries (the 2-dimensional 14th century Madonna's boob might defraud the boys) or science museums (people didn't walk with dinosaurs!) but there are so many sites of historical/ cultural interest in the UK that they could have seen other than a stupid hat shop and a pseudo-pub. Someone suggested the Imperial War Museum somewhere and that would be a great place to start - not like Brits weren't on the right side or anything in the First/ Second World War.

This, x1000! London has so many amazing places to see, not to mention the rest of the UK. Heck, there's the British Museum, the Maritime Museum, Trafalgar Square, the Tower... even if they just wanted to stick to religious sites, there's Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral, and that's only in London! They could have toured around and seen so many other religious and historical sites, learned about medieval or Victorian architecture and history.... I don't know why they didn't negotiate spending at least a couple more days. I've been once to London for 2 days and if I ever get there again, it'll be difficult to drag me away.

As an Australian, I can vouch for the fact that we do swear a lot, and many of our phrases are quite British, due to our heritage. Maybe we swear more because that heritage was from convicts! "Bloody" is not a big deal and is used frequently, for example in this conversation between my mother-in-law and her brother (who, incidentally, were born in Malta, so English is their second language):

M: Would you like a cup of tea?

B: No thanks, I just had one.

M: Go on, have a bloody cup of tea.

B: No, I don't want a bloody cup of tea.

M: Well, I'll put the kettle on anyway. Have a cookie.

B: I don't want a bloody cookie. Or a bloody cup of tea.

M: Well, I've made one now, and I've just baked, so you can bloody well have them both.

B: :angry-cussing:

:lol: I've also heard teachers at school use the word "crap" in front of students. And "bugger", well, see for yourself! It was used extensively in this Toyota commercial, which screened for several months in Australia and New Zealand:

I visited in 1967. I have photos of us sitting on the stones. No one tried chipping off a piece.

Luckily for your ego, I do not consider 1967 the "early" 20th century. :D Seriously though, I meant "no later than" the early 20th century - I think the chipping was common for a few hundred years before that. Although, some crazy dudes chipped off a piece in 2008, so there's that.

I am completely loving the study of British swear words. Not to derail the thread but did anyone ever watch the tv show Buffy the Vampire Slayer? It was on from late 90s to the early 2000s. There was a regular vampire character on there that was English and used several English swear words each episode. I always found it funny that they managed to get so much through the censors (bugger was used quite a bit lol). Ok I will stop derailing now :) .

Luckily for your ego, I do not consider 1967 the "early" 20th century. :D Seriously though, I meant "no later than" the early 20th century - I think the chipping was common for a few hundred years before that. Although, some crazy dudes chipped off a piece in 2008, so there's that.

I didn't even notice the "early" 20th century.

As an Australian, I can vouch for the fact that we do swear a lot, and many of our phrases are quite British, due to our heritage. Maybe we swear more because that heritage was from convicts! "Bloody" is not a big deal and is used frequently, for example in this conversation between my mother-in-law and her brother (who, incidentally, were born in Malta, so English is their second language):

M: Would you like a cup of tea?

B: No thanks, I just had one.

M: Go on, have a bloody cup of tea.

B: No, I don't want a bloody cup of tea.

M: Well, I'll put the kettle on anyway. Have a cookie.

B: I don't want a bloody cookie. Or a bloody cup of tea.

M: Well, I've made one now, and I've just baked, so you can bloody well have them both.

B: :angry-cussing:

:lol: I've also heard teachers at school use the word "crap" in front of students. And "bugger", well, see for yourself! It was used extensively in this Toyota commercial, which screened for several months in Australia and New Zealand:

:lol: That actually helps explain something that happened when they were here visiting - apparently I was completely unaware that the kids were puzzled about my lack of swearing (even though I do, but not in casual conversation! :lol: ) but their last night here, my husband told me something that I found completely unacceptable and yelled "F***king hell, no I'm not!" and the kids gasped and I apologized, and their mother was like, "oh no, it's fine, they just haven't heard you use those words." :D It was kind of funny (after I stopped being mad at my husband! :D )

Just curious, when J'boob and J'chelle were learning to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, anyone here the soundman (or cameraman maybe) say "it's not that kind of show" when J'boob jokingly told one of the guys to sit in the other guys lap?

Apparently, it continued into the 1970's which is why it can usually only be viewed from a distance now: http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/yousif/ELT%20 ... ehenge.pdf (bottom of third page)

Just curious, when J'boob and J'chelle were learning to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, anyone here the soundman (or cameraman maybe) say "it's not that kind of show" when J'boob jokingly told one of the guys to sit in the other guys lap?

I did. :lol:

I am completely loving the study of British swear words. Not to derail the thread but did anyone ever watch the tv show Buffy the Vampire Slayer? It was on from late 90s to the early 2000s. There was a regular vampire character on there that was English and used several English swear words each episode. I always found it funny that they managed to get so much through the censors (bugger was used quite a bit lol). Ok I will stop derailing now :) .

Spike was so incredibly hot! I don't blame Buffy one bit for falling for him. He was my favorite character on BTVS.

I forgot which thread this was, so I just saw your response, emmiedahl. Thank you! I thought it was similar to 4 litres, but I wasn't sure.

Sorry to bump the thread so late in the game. Carry on. :oops:

Spike was so incredibly hot! I don't blame Buffy one bit for falling for him. He was my favorite character on BTVS.

Spike was actually played by an American actor... go figure! Oh and yes he was hot!

Archived