IGNORED

Duggar World Tour

Kitten

Is tea (as in the tea leaf/teabag hot drink) not very common the Southern US? Sounds like sweet tea is what we call iced tea over here.

What sort of rude comments did they make? Glad they did actually like the food when it arrived.

Not that many people drink tea regularly, but trust me, people should know what tea is. And we call it iced tea here too, even in the South, it's just that depending on what region of the US you're in, the iced tea might come unsweetened *by default* (in the North), or sweetened *by default* (in the South). In the South, iced tea and sweet tea are synonymous. And again, most children do realize that there is such a thing as hot tea, even if they don't drink it themselves. I don't know how old the kid was that made the sweet tea comment, but chances are they were just being bratty (yep, I said it).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol @ Grandma packing tuna. 1) What sort of food did she think we have in the UK?! We're not all that different to the US in terms of food basics, surely? 2) Yes, of course an island nation with a reputation for good and varied seafood won't have tuna... :roll: Excuse me while I nip to the shop to get some tuna for a tuna mayonnaise and cucumber sandwich. Haven't had lunch yet after all. ;)

This epi had me thinking that the family would have had a much better time if the rents, Amy, Josh and of Josh had just stayed home. I think if they had gone with just Gramma Mary they would have had a far better time.

Next time, please for the love of everything that is holy leave Amy at home. I need to go stab myself with a tooth pick now. :doh:

I see what you did there with ofJosh! Scary.

Please don't worry, my American friends (and their lot) give us/me Europeans a totally different impression, quite the opposite actually.

Not to mention, the English people are just as intelligent and educated as anyone else and they're likely going to realize that one strange family does not a country represent. Right?

Yes, bangers are sausages. You can get non-pork sausages (though admittedly they aren't nearly as common), so maybe they went for that option. Or perhaps they just didn't realise that most sausages are made of pork? :lol:

Ooh, now I want to try bangers. Now I'm googling mash... Oh oh. Potato mash. Yep, wanna try that. Heck I wanna spend a month in England and I don't just mean London.

*holds up sheepish hand*

I had no idea what bubble and squeak was, or bangers and mash or puds. However, I do know how to pronounce Thames, and I've read a lot, including much of English childrens' literature (so much that I grew up using words/phrases that I realized years later were English and I'd never heard a regular American use). Just not, I guess, about English food. Mostly just pudding and biscuits and fish & chips and something about marmite. And things in tins.

Pud is just an informal contraction of the word pudding. I'm surprised the restaurant said puds, actually, as opposed to puddings, because 'pud' is much more a word that would be used within families rather than by a business.

Purely out of interest, which English words/phrases did you grow up using?

Ooh, now I want to try bangers. Now I'm googling mash... Oh oh. Potato mash. Yep, wanna try that. Heck I wanna spend a month in England and I don't just mean London.

Oops, sorry I didn't explain about mash. It's such a common word here, I presumed it was common knowledge everywhere in the West that it refers to mashed potato. That'll teach me to make assumptions! :lol: I bet there's lots of common US foods that I wouldn't recognise by name.

If you ever do get to come over for a month, send me a PM and I'll recommend lots of great places you could visit outside of London. York, Oxford, the coast in Devon or Cornwall, the Lake District...I'd better stop now or I'll completely derail the thread :D

A great website for British pudding recipes is http://www.greatbritishpuddings.com/. Explore this website, try some of the recipes and note than contrary to the stereotype, puddings aren't always stodgy! It also has sections giving historic pudding recipes such as 17/18th c. Orange Pudding and Syllabub, and a section of savoury puddings that would be served as a main course.

As you may have guessed, I'm a great fan of the British sweet pudding. Trifle, proper baked rice pudding, fruit crumble (a staple pudding in my family), queen of puddings, Eton mess, treacle tart with hot custard, fruit fool, summer pudding with cream, sticky toffee pudding, pancakes (crepes) with sugar and lemon juice as traditionally eaten on Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day)...YUM.

I'll do that, thanks!

It makes sense that 'mash' would be self-explanatory since mashed potatoes are common in the US, but nope, we never call it mash as far as I know.

And on the subject of pudding, it's my understanding that it's a general term, like for 'dessert' (except in the case of savory puddings)? You know, after-meal sweetstuffs that isn't actually sweeties (candy). Please do tell me if I've got any, most or all of this right.

Pud is just an informal contraction of the word pudding. I'm surprised the restaurant said puds, actually, as opposed to puddings, because 'pud' is much more a word that would be used within families rather than by a business.

Purely out of interest, which English words/phrases did you grow up using?

Marmite! You either love it or hate it, trust me there is no inbetween. I hate it :)

Did you use some of the stereotypical things, like "Jolly Good show old chap", "bloomin' heck" or just good old Bloody Hell? hehe - no seriously Im curious which books you read, I used to read things like the Famous Five, I loved them, very British but face a lot of critisism these days I have heard for several reasons we won't bore each other with now :)

I'll do that, thanks!

It makes sense that 'mash' would be self-explanatory since mashed potatoes are common in the US, but nope, we never call it mash as far as I know.

And on the subject of pudding, it's my understanding that it's a general term, like for 'dessert' (except in the case of savory puddings)? You know, after-meal sweetstuffs that isn't actually sweeties (candy). Please do tell me if I've got any, most or all of this right.

Yes - pudding is another term for dessert - I personally use it more often, I find dessert more formal, for example in posher resturants. I don't know if I speak for everyone here, but it's used for hot and cold, so ice cream or treacle sponge for example. Sweets are candy. Biscuits are cookies (though we also have cookies).

By savoury puddings I guess you mean things like Yorkshire pudding? Seved with a roast dinner traditionally, its a lot like a Popover.

I am certainly going to search for this episode online, I really want to see them and their ignorance about the Uk and world for all its glory.

Ah, now you're opening up a bit of a can of worms! 'Pudding' has several definitions, all of which are in current use in this country:

1) A general term for the sweet course following the main course. So instead of saying 'what's for dessert?', you'd say 'what's for pudding?' This means that you can have a sweet food for 'for pudding' even if that particular sweet food isn't actually a pudding. Does that make sense?

2) Yes, you're right - pudding is very commonly used as a synonym for dessert, though even then some people don't tend to describe, say, yoghurt, as a pudding. Sometimes people think of hot desserts as being puddings and cold desserts as desserts, though even then some cold desserts are definitely more thought of as pudding. Trifle being a good example.

3) A dish, often containing flour or other cereal product, that is baked, boiled or steamed. This is an older definition of pudding, and is where savoury puddings come in, such as steak and kidney pudding and Yorkshire pudding. Also sweet suet puddings such as spotted dick and Sussex pond pudding - though these also of course fit into category 2).

4) A savoury sausage-like preparation made with minced meat and other ingredients, stuffed into a bag or skin and boiled. The best example of this is black pudding. Technically haggis is this type of pudding.

Haha, the only thing I know about marmite is it's in a jar, and the book Richard's Poor Almanac (not to be confused with Poor Richard's Almanac) describes it as 'a nasty English food'. I gather it's savory.

No, not those terms, those are stereotypical that not even the English people on tv say them, only the Americans trying to blend in or joke. I read the Narnia stuff, Agatha Christie, a bit of E. Nesbitt, several others I'm forgetting, and I watched the England- and Scotland-set 'Chariots of Fire' countless times growing up. So often in fact, that I hardly even noticed the characters' accents anymore.

Sweets I knew, biscuits I knew, and yes I mean things like Yorkshire pudding. I haven't had a popover in years but it's an egg-based pastry type thing? I mostly remember I didn't think much of it.

Ah, now you're opening up a bit of a can of worms! 'Pudding' has several definitions, all of which are in current use in this country:

1) A general term for the sweet course following the main course. So instead of saying 'what's for dessert?', you'd say 'what's for pudding?' This means that you can have a sweet food for 'for pudding' even if that particular sweet food isn't actually a pudding. Does that make sense?

2) Yes, you're right - pudding is very commonly used as a synonym for dessert, though even then some people don't tend to describe, say, yoghurt, as a pudding. Sometimes people think of hot desserts as being puddings and cold desserts as desserts, though even then some cold desserts are definitely more thought of as pudding. Trifle being a good example.

3) A dish, often containing flour or other cereal product, that is baked, boiled or steamed. This is an older definition of pudding, and is where savoury puddings come in, such as steak and kidney pudding and Yorkshire pudding. Also sweet suet puddings such as spotted dick and Sussex pond pudding - though these also of course fit into category 2).

4) A savoury sausage-like preparation made with minced meat and other ingredients, stuffed into a bag or skin and boiled. The best example of this is black pudding. Technically haggis is this type of pudding.

Ahh. I was fairly sure of the first definition, and vaguely aware of the second. 3 and 4 make sense especially in explaining savoury puddings.

Oh--I thought of one thing I've done for ages that I hardly notice or question--spelling. Colour, savoury, favourite, etc. Ok, mostly the words with 'extra' U's. Not so much substituting S for Z like in 'analyse'.

I can't stand marmite either. Allyisyourpally is right - you definitely either love it or hate it. Going on your description of popovers, Yorkshire pudding is different. It's basically a savoury batter made of flour, egg, milk, seasoning and sometimes juices from the roast meat it accompanies, baked in the oven either in one big tin or in separate muffin tins. It's served as part of a traditional Sunday roast dinner (if the meat is beef or lamb), and in some cases is still served before the main course, as it always was in the past. The original idea was that the Yorkshire pudding would help fill up hungry farmers/labourers before they got to the meat course, meat being much more expensive.

Hmm. Yeah, I'm not sure. Maybe they're similar.

Oh--my one previous 'experience' so to speak of bangers and mash are in 'Get Him to the Greek' and the British singer sings a song mentioning bangers and mash. It sounded like he pronounced bangers the same way I would, but hey, it was a Hollywood movie, and since when are they concerned too much with accuracy?

Hahahahaha! This reminded me of the movie King Ralph. On a more serious note, I cannot believe how rude these people are. No wait, actually I can, and it pisses me off. I would love to be able to take a trip like that (if I could ever get over my fear of flying) and to try the different types of food and have those experiences, and they just scoff and act shocked that these things are so "different." Of course it's different! You are in a different country! Isn't that the whole point of travelling? To try something different?

I agree Anna and some of the Duggars were pretty rude about the food. Of course the food was going to be different and Anna was pretty smug about the food.

she's a vain little cow these days.

Wow! I laughed and nearly choked on my tea. And, why are they still driving that Hummer they supposedly "couldn't afford to keep?"

Also LOVED the comment about Anna dragging both kids while pushing the luggage cart. Josh probably too busy texting about their arrival or something.....

Yeah it was a hotel :). I don't commonly associate them with England either, more so the continent. They went to "high tea" and basically complained about the formality of it. It wasn't THAT formal. It was at a long table with basic settings. I can see why the little kids would care less and maybe I'm bias because I spent my childhood at countless church teas so it seems more obvious to me despite not being English.

No proper English breakfast? :( They are missing out.

For real. But then to these boobs, a proper breakfast is instant oatmeal with plain old tap water. :violence-smack:

Was I mistaken or did someone have the Trifle? No expert, but when I made a trifle it had sherry in it. Drunken Duggars anyone? lol

Was I mistaken or did someone have the Trifle? No expert, but when I made a trifle it had sherry in it. Drunken Duggars anyone? lol

Most people I know don't put alcohol in theirs. Normal trifle is jelly with fruit or sponge sticks, cold custard and dream topping.

I got the feeling that the pub menu was a "fun" thing that was deliberately filled with unfamiliar items with strange (unAmerican) names. Surely a pub would have things like stew, shepherd's pie, meat pies, ice cream, cake etc. but that wouldn't have caused all the confusion would it?

With the inclusion of bubble and squeak and bangers and mash, spotted dick was probably included in their "quaint" menu, but totally vetoed by either the Duggars or their production team.

Archived