IGNORED

Duggars have a special announcement!/Number 20 merged

Ralar

1,000th post in the thread!

For what it's worth, almost all of the lefties I've known have had interesting, somewhat quirky and creative personalities - they seem to disproportionately favor the arts and rather unorthodox careers, lifestyles, worldviews, etc.

This could be just confirmation bias or coincidence due to small sample size, though; has anyone else observed this or read any literature about lefties/righties and left/right brain personality traits?

Maybe there's hope for Jinger yet?

OMG so strange! I have noted the complete opposite. The lefthanders I know are nearly all very straitlaced and conservative.

I wonder, maybe where you are they get no bad messages and can express themselves? Whereas here they get "You write with the wrong hand and that is weird. Don't be weird any more" and internalise that...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1,000th post in the thread!

For what it's worth, almost all of the lefties I've known have had interesting, somewhat quirky and creative personalities - they seem to disproportionately favor the arts and rather unorthodox careers, lifestyles, worldviews, etc.

This could be just confirmation bias or coincidence due to small sample size, though; has anyone else observed this or read any literature about lefties/righties and left/right brain personality traits?

Maybe there's hope for Jinger yet?

My psychiatrist said that left-handers tend to have more emotional problems than right-handers. I *think* he said it was emotional problems. I'll have to ask him again. He's a lefty, which I find even funnier, since he's a psychiatrist for people with ADD/ADHD, depression, etc.

Just to make myself feel better, I see a psych for ADD with OCD/depression medication.

OMG so strange! I have noted the complete opposite. The lefthanders I know are nearly all very straitlaced and conservative.

I wonder, maybe where you are they get no bad messages and can express themselves? Whereas here they get "You write with the wrong hand and that is weird. Don't be weird any more" and internalise that...

I would have to say the very same thing but also agree that all the lefties I know are crazy talented in some form of art. My left husband was a soloist for the West Point Chior and taught himself to play music by ear. But he is the poster boy for Boy Scouts. ;)

Interesting lefty observations. :D I never considered that more straitlaced lefties might be reacting to an environment where their difference was intentionally suppressed. Is lefty discrimination still practiced? I thought that was more of a medieval kind of thing.

GryffindorFTW, great film strip!

Thanks! :)

Interesting lefty observations. :D I never considered that more straitlaced lefties might be reacting to an environment where their difference was intentionally suppressed. Is lefty discrimination still practiced? I thought that was more of a medieval kind of thing.

I don't know if it still is, but the teachers at my grandma's school tied her left hand behind her back to force her to write with her right hand. My mom also had to learn how to write with her right hand instead of with her left and sometimes is all sorts of confused when doing normal daily household tasks because she has to stop and think which hand to use. My parents told my kindergarten that I was a leftie and was going to stay that way.

I think it's so sad that left-handed children used to be forced to write with their right hand. Seems so odd that such a superstition lasted for so long. In my completely unscientific observation, I have two sisters who are left-handed. Coincidentally, they are the oldest and the youngest of the siblings. Oldest is a teacher, with progressive, Democratic views, religious but not fundie, gives generously to various charities, takes in stray cats and over the years, various unwanted dogs.

My youngest sis has Down's Syndrome, so she is neither conservative nor progressive. However, she too is a very caring, kind individual who loves to sing and dance. To me, she is clearly one of the most gentle, kindest people I've ever met, so her singing and dancing only serves to prove my belief that the Duggars are full of horseshit in regards to their fear of "sinful" music.

The land that they live on is next to a dump. It was probably dirt cheap when they bought it, not only because of its location, but because until just the past 10-15 years, land was really affordable (it's still quite affordable out there - you can get a 2k sq ft home for under $200k. My husband has family and quite a few friends who bought acreage as low as a few thousand dollars each, and had sold to a golf course, apartment and single-family home developments, commercial development, etc.

Regarding the location, there's much more ecological awareness these days, but there's a big chance that stuff was inappropriately disposed of in the location. I am wondering if that's why they don't have a garden. Also, I wonder if they're ever downwind on a steamy summer day... then again, there are still plenty of farms in that area, with the ever-pleasant aroma of cow and horse manure.

It's pitiful how easy it is to make me happy sometimes. :lol: I FINALLY found the show on YouTube, the entire episode in 3 parts. Here's #3, the family announcement - my thoughts are added; parts with * - * instead of " - " are what I believe the person is thinking, yet not saying:

"Mama's gonna have another baby!!!"

Josiah: "...the FUCK?!?" (runs off, crying)

Smuggar: *Fuckin' right, bitches - rock on with the Duggar sperm, we're REAL men in this family!*

Michelle: (drunk on the hormonal Kool-Aid) "Yaaaayyyy!!!"

Josiah: *Tie it in a fucking knot, you horny old bastard! You make me sick!!!*

Jim Bob: "Little Josie is perfect and beautiful in every way; she's just a little small..."

Duggar Daughter #?: (cries) *WTF-ever, douche sip!*

(Jessa looks like she's as close to a Goth phase as it's possible for a Fundie daughter to get.)

Jim Bob: "...I feel like the richest man in the world..."

Grandma Duggar: *Tie a knot in it, you horny goat, and raise your own damn kids!*

Josh: *I'm getting all hot and greasy just thinking about making this a double-header!*

I could go on all day, but I'll just shut up and post.

I FINALLY found the show on YouTube, the entire episode in 3 parts. Here's #3, the family announcement -

I know it was talked about already, but I didn't realize how it really looked until I saw this video. If you freeze each frame after Jim Bob says "Say mama's gonna have another baby," it gets ugly. The kid runs off and is edited out. The other kids turn to see what is happening in that direction, and the kid holding his elbow was obviously crying and physically hurt. Jim Bob is a bastard. He hurt that kid. If there is abuse in that house and TLC is not reporting it to authorities, they are scum.

I FINALLY found the show on YouTube, the entire episode in 3 parts. Here's #3, the family announcement -

It really is revealing.

I watched some with the sound off, which is really helpful when trying to see what is really going on.

Just about all of the footage after the announcement is full of one smiling Duggar giving the expected answer to the camera, and various Duggars behind them, wandering or pacing and looking sad, angry, or stunned.

Keep in mind that I don't watch the show -- maybe people drifting around in the background looking glum while waiting for something happens often. Maybe some of them are just bored.

But, to me, it looked like most of them couldn't keep their happy face on unless being looked at by J'Uterus, Boob, or a camera.

Also, right after the announcement, and once later, J'Uterus gets some of the younger ones to smile by staring at them and making an exaggerated happy face until the child responds in kind.

It seems to me to be a little insight into how the "look happy or I'll whip you" system works. Between the natural tendency to smile when someone smiles at you, and past practice of "remember, this is how you are supposed to look at all times, or else," I'm beginning to understand more how kids raised this way can learn to turn it on when expected, ignoring or even killing their own feelings.

Is it just me, or did someone else hear someone yell "Josiah! Don't cry!" just after he ran out of the shot? So sad for those kids :(

Is it just me, or did someone else hear someone yell "Josiah! Don't cry!" just after he ran out of the shot? So sad for those kids :(

At 8:18 -- it's with a strong accent, so it sounds like "Josiah, don't crah," but I think you're right.

I'm pretty sure it was Jana, but I could only make out "Josiah don't.." Ohers said his name as well. Even some of the howlers looked concerned.

Crying or not, I'm sure he broke all kinds of rules by abruptly walking out of the filming of one of Michelle's big TLC announcements.

I heard more like 'Josiah, come here!' but still in a concerned way.

Wow, that was my first time seeing that clip (didn't have it in me to watch it on TV) and Josiah definitely did not share Michelle's "grateful beyond words" attitude. I feel awful for him. How dare he bring down the joy of the family *eyeroll* Poor guy :-(

What an odd clip. He actually looked kind of happy to me when he ran away, but that could also be upset. It was just kind of a strange reaction the way he ran off. He certainly didn't look happy when he came back.

I definitely heard "Josiah, don't" and it sounded like "cry", but I can't be sure. There were definitely a lot of people calling his name.

What an odd clip. He actually looked kind of happy to me when he ran away, but that could also be upset. It was just kind of a strange reaction the way he ran off. He certainly didn't look happy when he came back.

I definitely heard "Josiah, don't" and it sounded like "cry", but I can't be sure. There were definitely a lot of people calling his name.

It looked to me like he was trying to keep the "smile" on his face until he was able to get out of the line of the camera. Honestly, the most telling part to me is when he moves behind Michelle after JB pulls him back into the pack, he was trying to put someone between himself and his father.

Considering his mom and baby sister almost died the last time 'round, I can totally see Josiah being upset. He seems like a very sensitive young man and that was such a traumatic experience for everyone.

In that picture where he is standing beside Jim Bob....look at the camera angle. I think that it's very telling the way it cuts off ABOVE Josiah's elbow.

I think Jim Bob is still hanging on to him there - very painfully, by the looks of things!

Wow, Josiah is definitely not happy. If you look closely too, when he comes back and he has a tissue in his hand. I'll bet he was crying.

In that picture where he is standing beside Jim Bob....look at the camera angle. I think that it's very telling the way it cuts off ABOVE Josiah's elbow.

I think Jim Bob is still hanging on to him there - very painfully, by the looks of things!

Both of Jim-Bob's hands can be seen -- one is on Josiah's shoulder. I think JB is too experienced with making sure that crap happens off-camera to still be gripping hard.

Archived