IGNORED

Karissa Collins 2: Riding Her High Horse

Coconut Flan

As a homeschooling ("homeschooling") parent how is she not hiding in shame that not a single one of her children likes to read? If they were doing a decent job homeschooling I'd expect the answer to be closer to "most of our children love to read. We have one/two who would read 24/7 if we let them and one/two who hate reading with every fiber of their being and one/two who love reading but have to work extra hard at reading."

Like the Rods and so many other fundies I snark on, they are abysmal failures at homeschooling. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

As a homeschooling ("homeschooling") parent how is she not hiding in shame that not a single one of her children likes to read? If they were doing a decent job homeschooling I'd expect the answer to be closer to "most of our children love to read. We have one/two who would read 24/7 if we let them and one/two who hate reading with every fiber of their being and one/two who love reading but have to work extra hard at reading."

Like the Rods and so many other fundies I snark on, they are abysmal failures at homeschooling. 

In their minds I’m guessing they see their homeschooling efforts as a complete success. Children who don’t read and aren’t ever encouraged to be curious about the world will be far less likely to leave the Borg. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I’ve read some disturbing online commentary about kids who were homeschooled for years, but then for some reason had to go to public school. Some of them got argumentative and confrontational when taught things different from what they were taught at home. Some of these involved math, where correct answers can easily be proven—but God forbid someone tells Homeschooling Mommy she’s wrong.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, Hane said:

I’ve read some disturbing online commentary about kids who were homeschooled for years, but then for some reason had to go to public school. Some of them got argumentative and confrontational when taught things different from what they were taught at home. Some of these involved math, where correct answers can easily be proven—but God forbid someone tells Homeschooling Mommy she’s wrong.

What else can anyone expect? You've been warned all your life that public school aims to brainwash kids. Disbelief is basically a sin. Deviating from what Mom and Pop said means you're going to hell forever. The only options you have are walling up and lashing out.

• Upvote 4

This is horrible advice. There are absolutely times in your life when you are more ready to have a baby than others. I had my first at 30 and I can tell you I was about a million times more ready than when I was 18. Would she say the same for a 12 year old who was pregnant from rape? Probably. She’s that ridiculous.

3D3037BD-71A4-4708-9349-A96D461564BE.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 10

Here's the thing. "You're never going to be ready so you might as well do it now" can actually be good advice - in very specific situations! But overall as a general post for your broader audience? That's horrible advice! It's also profoundly tone deaf and painfully unaware of her own immense privilege. It's easy to have kids & to start your own business from scratch when "from scratch" is having access to hundreds of thousands of dollars! 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

You weren’t ready for college….. that’s why you dropped out.

You weren’t ready for that new job…. So you were fired.

You weren’t ready to potty train… so you gave up after a week.

You weren’t ready to homeschool….. so your kids fell behind.

You weren’t ready to buy that house…. So you were denied a loan. 

Does she not realize that when you aren’t ready, things can fail spectacularly? I try very hard not to place expectations on my kids that they can’t handle. They aren’t ready for algebra. So I’m not going to force them to learn it. Her thinking is completely flawed. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You weren’t ready for college….. that’s why you dropped out.

You weren’t ready for that new job…. So you were fired.

You weren’t ready to potty train… so you gave up after a week.

You weren’t ready to homeschool….. so your kids fell behind.

You weren’t ready to buy that house…. So you were denied a loan. 

Does she not realize that when you aren’t ready, things can fail spectacularly? I try very hard not to place expectations on my kids that they can’t handle. They aren’t ready for algebra. So I’m not going to force them to learn it. Her thinking is completely flawed. 

Exactly! There are way more instances where "no, you're not actually ready" is the appropriate response. 

• Upvote 4

Also "you weren't ready to have that baby" has a much more awful failure state than "you weren't ready to start a garden". Plants dying from dehydration are kind of sad but it's nothing compared to having your baby die of sepsis because you didn't have the attention span to check and change their diaper regularly. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

Karissa and Mandrae finally agreed on a name. It sounds like he won. So maybe it wont be as bad as Aynjel. 

I think it was leaked that the name was Amaree. I could see Mandrae liking that name. I could see her liking a name like Amen or  Ardent. 

• Upvote 2

This is how Karissa saves money. It’s all pretty eyeroll worthy to me. If you want to save tons of money, stop having kids. That’s the biggest money saver of all. 

C986BCA4-63D6-4599-B20D-CA7E14CE5F65.jpeg

D4D87265-141C-4E1E-A154-E5DE423C2680.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 1

Wearing clothes for the next day to wear in bed to sleep in order to be “ready to go” when you wake up? That’s just nasty.

I don’t feel properly awake and dressed in the mornings before I’ve had a shower and put on some fresh clean clothes. On the very few occasions when I fell asleep in street clothes (complete exhaustion) or didn’t put on clean clothes in the morning but stayed in my pyjamas (e.g. reeeeeally lazy weekend or sick), I felt yucky and there’s no way I would have gone out and about my day dressed like that,

And I am in no way a clean freak. But I can’t imagine doing that on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 13

There are so many contradictions there. She says « no kids’ meals » and then says to buy the $0.99 kids’ meals. She talks about buying from thrift stores only and then says they buy the matching $5 outfits from Walmart. And no pyjamas is awful. The kids can’t be comfortable sleeping in jeans. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

That sounds freakin' miserable. My family was never too well off, but know how my parents saved money and ensured me a good childhood? They had only two kids.

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, AliC said:

That sounds freakin' miserable. My family was never too well off, but know how my parents saved money and ensured me a good childhood? They had only two kids.

Karissa also forgot to mention one of her biggest money savers. Shaq 🙄

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 4

It’s crazy to me that she openly admits to drinking an mlm weight loss supplement while pregnant with her 11th.

6B8D8E23-11ED-4E63-BEB8-79EA553CD003.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 3

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is how Karissa saves money. It’s all pretty eyeroll worthy to me. If you want to save tons of money, stop having kids. That’s the biggest money saver of all. 

C986BCA4-63D6-4599-B20D-CA7E14CE5F65.jpeg

D4D87265-141C-4E1E-A154-E5DE423C2680.jpeg

Y'know what also helps to save money? Making more than a living wage.  If someone isn't bringing in enough money to cover their expenses no amount of "stop eating avocado toast" is going to allow someone to save. Say hi to Shaq for me. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

She posted a picture of the kids eating at a restaurant that Im sure doesn’t allow meal sharing and wearing specialized pro-life shirts shortly after the how to save money post.  #1 Accept gifts from whoever will give them to you

My kids don’t wear pajamas to bed. They either wear the clothes they hung out at home in or the clothes they’ll wear the next day.  Once they become a teenager, I give up trying to convince them to wear pajamas.  The youngest I make change if they’ve been outside and she usually chooses to wear clothes for tomorrow.  I have one kid who refuses to sleep on sheets, one who refuses to sleep in a bed and one who wear blue jeans to bed.  They all own pajamas-one wears them to school.   I don’t change if I’ve been home all day, but do if I’ve been running errands or outside.  But I change as soon as I get home and then just wear that to bed.  

I’ve known many homeschoolers who don’t enjoy reading.  The parents are usually devastated and still find ways to incorporate reading in their day.  Karissa and JRod don’t even seem to care their kids don’t read.  

• Upvote 5

Karissa should have googled tips to save money and used those. Three of her tips (#1 water only, #4 no kids' meals, #13 99 cent kids' meals) all involve eating out! Now having seen some pictures of the meals she chooses to share I would prefer to eat out if I was at her table, but goodness with a family of 12 I would have assumed it wasn't in the cards or was an ultra-rare treat. Although I guess it is better than David and Jill Rod taking themselves out on a date night and leaving the children at home to fend for themselves. 

• Upvote 4

One of my kids doesn’t wear actual pj sets. He wears old t shirts and pj pants I buy second hand. I spend very very little on them because I agree that it’s a waste of money to buy expensive pj sets for kids. My older son is a nudist. I have no idea how. I’m a never nude and I somehow produced a nudist. He sleeps in his underwear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

Are they from a Jehovah’s Witness background? Why don’t they celebrate holidays?

• Upvote 2

My oldest hates PJs. He stopped wearing them around age 6-7. He sleeps in his underwear, but I make him wear clothes when we are staying with family. On those nights he wears gym clothes. Sometimes he chooses to wear the outfit the next day which is usually fine for the activity we are doing, but then I make him change before bed that night.

Unless they are wearing matching clothes that Karissa chose, the Collins kids wear comfortable clothing, unlike the Duggar boys who were forced to wear jeans to bed. And didn’t have bed sheets? I seem to remember that from watching the show a long, long time ago.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, sleepygirl1 said:

Are they from a Jehovah’s Witness background? Why don’t they celebrate holidays?

No. They used to. But like everything else, when Karissa got overwhelmed by having too many children, she cut it out and used her cherry picked religion as an excuse. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I don't understand how buying gifts over the course of a year would mean more savings than buying gifts for holidays and birthdays. But I also don't understand not doing holidays because holidays to me are wonderful times and all about children and children get the most joy out of them.

I, like many of us,😉, wear nightgowns to bed. But I have pajamas for days when I'm in too much pain to leave the house and I know that I'm just going to be going back-and-forth to bed all day, or for when I'm away from home. I don't find jeans comfortable enough to sleep in but whatever. Most clothes today don't need to be ironed anyway. Although I do think that you get a sort of rumpledyness after sleeping in something, I also don't pay enough attention to other peoples clothes that I've ever noticed that in anyone except for myself. Anyway, not buying pajamas isn't something to brag about because it wouldn't save that much anyway, as most can be passed down and according to Karissa, their clothes are really cheap anyway. (although it is very possible that the cheap, fast fashion from Walmart does not hold up enough to be passed down.)

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

I don't understand how buying gifts over the course of a year would mean more savings than buying gifts for holidays and birthdays. But I also don't understand not doing holidays because holidays to me are wonderful times and all about children and children get the most joy out of them.

I, like many of us,😉, wear nightgowns to bed. But I have pajamas for days when I'm in too much pain to leave the house and I know that I'm just going to be going back-and-forth to bed all day, or for when I'm away from home. I don't find jeans comfortable enough to sleep in but whatever. Most clothes today don't need to be ironed anyway. Although I do think that you get a sort of rumpledyness after sleeping in something, I also don't pay enough attention to other peoples clothes that I've ever noticed that in anyone except for myself. Anyway, not buying pajamas isn't something to brag about because it wouldn't save that much anyway, as most can be passed down and according to Karissa, their clothes are really cheap anyway. (although it is very possible that the cheap, fast fashion from Walmart does not hold up enough to be passed down.)

If you don’t celebrate holidays, you have way less to do and way less money to spend. No Christmas tree to buy every year. No decorations to buy and put up. No Christmas lights for your house. You don’t have to wrap a bunch of gifts for 11 kids. Even if you limited it to 3 gifts each, that adds up. That’s 33 gifts for the kids. On Halloween you don’t have to buy or make costumes for 11 kids. You don’t have to buy candy to hand out. On Easter, you don’t have to make Easter baskets for 11 kids. You don’t have to color eggs with 11 kids. You don’t have to hide eggs for 11 kids. And they barely celebrate their children’s birthdays. But they celebrate their own birthdays big. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2