IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

There is a clip of Micheal Pearl "spanking" the doll in one of his training seminars, so I imagine he will get mentioned.

I wish Above Rubies would be included too - and so many who aren't really IBLP related but share the same horrible beliefs.

I think any awareness is good awareness. I also hope it's validating for the people, especially the children, who were raised in these movements and that more survivors will come forward as a result.

I didn't read the People article but super eye-roll over here. Nice. People platformed this family for years, every marriage and birth, and now they'll get clicks off this too.

I am curious to see if the Duggars will be painted as victims of Gothard - kind of like how Jinger did in her book - or if there will be any kind of accountability for them. For those still all in at IBLP I bet they will plug their ears, avoid it all, and carry on amidst the "persecution."

I'm also really curious what adjacent fundamentalists like Kristen Young and Abbie H will do as they've tried to be in adjacent circles. I think they kind of offered Jinger vague support (KNY) or distanced and pretended they were unfamiliar with the community and curious (AH), but I wonder if it will jolt any of them awake.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

It seems like the documentary is expanding its focus beyond the specific legalism and abuse of the IBLP cult, to groups working towards Christian theocracy (dominionism) generally. The new show specifically talks about IBLP wanting to take over the world, and compares it to The Handmaid’s Tale. 

I’m pretty excited about that, since while IBLP practices will have a lot of shock value to an audience and people will feel for the abused children, it’s the political side that’s really a threat to the rest of us.

I really hope this will put a stop to any more Duggars running for office, at the very least. I’d love it if they referenced Jinger’s new church, since MacArthur is on the record against democracy and religious freedom. And also condones domestic abuse. Gee, it’s almost like these things go together. 

• Upvote 37
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

I hope we will be able to see it in Europe as well... I don't think it will be very popular here but who knows

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

I hope we will be able to see it in Europe as well... I don't think it will be very popular here but who knows

In my experience shows produced directly by Amazon are available on local Prime streaming in other countries. So I assume we can watch it in Europe too. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

18 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Anyone else wishing they had picked a less earwormy song for the title? REM is now on repeat in my brain 🙃

As I always liked REM, I’d have preferred no REM tune associated with Duggars.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It seems like the documentary is expanding its focus beyond the specific legalism and abuse of the IBLP cult, to groups working towards Christian theocracy (dominionism) generally. The new show specifically talks about IBLP wanting to take over the world, and compares it to The Handmaid’s Tale. 

I’m pretty excited about that, since while IBLP practices will have a lot of shock value to an audience and people will feel for the abused children, it’s the political side that’s really a threat to the rest of us.

I really hope this will put a stop to any more Duggars running for office, at the very least. I’d love it if they referenced Jinger’s new church, since MacArthur is on the record against democracy and religious freedom. And also condones domestic abuse. Gee, it’s almost like these things go together. 

Yes, the political side of this is something I’ve recognized for a long time and have wanted more people to grasp what this cult is actually doing. A doc like this helps connect the dots and expose the religious cult’s intent. In the trailer, the statement is made: “they’re playing the long game.” And it’s true. We see it especially being played out with so many Bible states somewhat successful current attempts to block access to abortion. They are imposing their religious beliefs on everyone. They want this to be one nation under the God of their choosing and they want everyone to fall in step with it.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 29
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, KWLand said:

I wish they’d throw the Pearls under the bus at the same time as the others.  Add in Above Rubies and the KJV only teaching.  It’ll be interesting to see if they have a safe place for people who were once or are but want out, involved in all of this to go to for further support. I won’t watch because the Duggars coverup of Josh and the lack of help for the girls triggers me. 

This is about Gothard and the Duggars and likely Bates.  The Pearls, AR, and basic IFB fundamentalism are not necessarily connected to IBLP/ATI.

I would rather have a focused documentary that does its job than a spaghetti at the wall take on of the literal hundreds of fundie sects.

• Upvote 11

For all who are saying "I hope they talk about XYZ," I think it is important to temper expectations a bit.  Most people have no clue who the people are we talk about on Free Jinger EXCEPT the Duggars.  Even the Bates are pretty obscure to the average American.  This show was not created to be a TV version of Free Jinger, rather it was created to drive viewership to Amazon Prime.  Therefore, I expect we will see a big focus on the Duggars and their cult/cult leader (because that is what will hook the average viewer) and very little of other families we discuss here.  Perhaps disappointing to the FJ audience, but it will open the eyes of a lot of the general public and that is a good thing in my opinion.  And even if that is all it is, I can't wait!!!

• Upvote 44

I mean I get people not wanting to be disappointed, but from what we’ve seen so far I think high expectations are pretty reasonable. It seems like serious investigative journalism. They’ve already shown the Pearls in the preview so clearly they’re going to discuss that. And they have excellent, well informed experts on the topic ready to go into detail about the political side of things. This is a dream come true for many of us here and I don’t see any need to be be dismissive about it in advance. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I mean I get people not wanting to be disappointed, but from what we’ve seen so far I think high expectations are pretty reasonable. It seems like serious investigative journalism. They’ve already shown the Pearls in the preview so clearly they’re going to discuss that. And they have excellent, well informed experts on the topic ready to go into detail about the political side of things. This is a dream come true for many of us here and I don’t see any need to be be dismissive about it in advance. 

Likely only in context to How To Train Up a Child because Michelle used the book, so don't expect a deep dive!

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Likely only in context to How To Train Up a Child because Michelle used the book, so don't expect a deep dive!

But child/blanket training is the main reason the Pearls are important/horrible/interesting. That’s what they should talk about! If the goal is to expose the dangers of this brand of fundamentalism, it’s an excellent choice. I’m not sure how that’s an ‘only’?

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Documentaries have a narrative they want to tell. This series (apparently it is 4 episodes) will not tell everything, it can't. But it seems from the trailer the angle is going to be the agenda of IBLP and how it has impactor America (and the Duggars as part of that). 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Even just mentioning Mike Pearl’s book and the Duggar endorsement of it in the documentary will make me happy. Mike is still alive along with Debi. They still need even a small mention because they are still spreading their abusive beliefs on the internet to this day. I want more people to know about this man. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4

47 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Documentaries have a narrative they want to tell. This series (apparently it is 4 episodes) will not tell everything, it can't. But it seems from the trailer the angle is going to be the agenda of IBLP and how it has impactor America (and the Duggars as part of that). 

Sure, I guess I just think that’s by far the best possible thing a documentary about IBLP could do. Use the Duggars and their fame as a hook to get people to look at how scary the whole thing is. That seems much more original, powerful, and effective than doing something like an in depth exposé on several fundie families. 

I mean FJ exists to discuss the dangers of fundamentalism, and this will reach a much larger audience than we ever have. Getting the main parts of that story out in front of millions and changing public perception isn’t a ‘just’ or an ‘only’, it’s a great victory against fundamentalism and honestly I’m not sure what could be better. Some details we didn’t already know about some families we discuss here? That doesn’t even come close. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cam said:

Yes, the political side of this is something I’ve recognized for a long time and have wanted more people to grasp what this cult is actually doing. A doc like this helps connect the dots and expose the religious cult’s intent. In the trailer, the statement is made: “they’re playing the long game.” And it’s true. We see it especially being played out with so many Bible states somewhat successful current attempts to block access to abortion. They are imposing their religious beliefs on everyone. They want this to be one nation under the God of their choosing and they want everyone to fall in step with it.

I wonder if the doc will mention Daniel Webster’s connection to IBLP. Are there any other national or local politicians with connections to IBLP?

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I wonder if the doc will mention Daniel Webster’s connection to IBLP. Are there any other national or local politicians with connections to IBLP?

I think it will. The trailer has a line about them being in the halls of Congress. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

Regardless of how this documentary goes. I am proud of Jill. Takes a lot to be raised a certain way, realize it wasn't right and to speak up about it. If you told me years ago it would be Jill as the one to speak up I wouldn't believe you. I'm sure she still has a long way to go but still, I am very excited to watch this. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 18

2 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

For all who are saying "I hope they talk about XYZ," I think it is important to temper expectations a bit.  Most people have no clue who the people are we talk about on Free Jinger EXCEPT the Duggars.  Even the Bates are pretty obscure to the average American.  This show was not created to be a TV version of Free Jinger, rather it was created to drive viewership to Amazon Prime.  Therefore, I expect we will see a big focus on the Duggars and their cult/cult leader (because that is what will hook the average viewer) and very little of other families we discuss here.  Perhaps disappointing to the FJ audience, but it will open the eyes of a lot of the general public and that is a good thing in my opinion.  And even if that is all it is, I can't wait!!!

I agree with this train of thought. The documentary isn’t aimed at people like the FJs and Reddit Duggarsnarkers who have comprehensive knowledge about IBLP, the Duggars and the many offshoots of that. The doc sounds like it’s geared toward people who never gave the Duggars’ lifestyle any serious thought. A lot of people don’t realize the Duggars are in a cult since TLC spent years whitewashing the whole thing.  I don’t think the average person grasps how a show like 19KAC and the IBLP adversely affected the political landscape of the U..S., or how it enforces/reinforces white male domination and raises little predators. My hope is the documentary opens a lot of eyes. 

Of course, the flip side of that is it could also provide a type of playbook for wannabe cult leaders.

• Upvote 13

3 minutes ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

Regardless of how this documentary goes. I am proud of Jill. Takes a lot to be raised a certain way, realize it wasn't right and to speak up about it. If you told me years ago it would be Jill as the one to speak up I wouldn't believe you. I'm sure she still has a long way to go but still, I am very excited to watch this. 

Jill is the second oldest daughter and she was the oldest sister to be molested by Josh. Because she’s one of the oldest, she knows a lot. She saw how things worked in the house and likely remembers a lot of the bad times that the little ones never saw or remembered. She had to do a lot of sister momming at a young age. Her childhood was so different compared to the little girls. She can remember how poor they were. How cramped they were. And how hard things were before the show. I’m sure it took a long time to process all of that and see it for what it was. And not what her parents told her it was. Jinger still thinks she had a perfect childhood. I’m sure Jill thought she had a perfect childhood too when she was 20. But I’m sure she sees it very differently now. Probably because she’s had secular therapy and Jinger hasn’t. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 6

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

In my experience shows produced directly by Amazon are available on local Prime streaming in other countries. So I assume we can watch it in Europe too. 

Damn it I do not use Amazon prime, but I might try one month for free if they give me the choice next time I order something. 

• Upvote 3

I feel like Jill will pull a modified jinger. Gothard is the real evil and her poor parents were brainwashed /it's not their fault.

I can't see Jill pulling a Harry and actually coming out against her parents in a blatant manner. She still seems to want to be included and visits with them.

Makes me wonder why jinger and Jill aren't more friendly (at least as far as we can tell). Of course it could just be different personalities. Have they talked about this stuff and realized they both feel victimized but their reactions are so different they can't be reconciled?  Man to be a fly on the wall.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I definitely don't feel like I personally will learn anything new, but I'm bananas about this stuff and also lived through a decent amount of it. But I also didn't learn anything from the LuLaRich documentary and that still had an awesome impact teaching tons of people about the ills of MLMs. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It seems like serious investigative journalism.

If they indeed have someone like Kristin Kobes Du Mez providing informed commentary, I think that some dots will definitely be connected. Regardless of how big a net they actually cast, the trailer hints that they are creating a context for the Duggars, IBLP, etc. If so, that will be a good thing.

ETA: This Twitter thread from none other than Alex Harris -- of the Harris twins & Joshua Harris brother -- also suggests that the producers were trying to establish a context & to connect the dots:

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

Alex Harris was once one of the foremost voices of the Joshua Generation movement. As a homeschool graduate from that era, I am glad to see he’s now speaking out against all of this. 

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic