IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

I definitely plan on watching it. The question will be if I watch it before or after the last 10 episodes of Manifest. 

• Upvote 9

Just saw Amy’s posting of this trailer on her IG and came straight here. I’ve been a little out of the loop on the whole Duggar circus so I didn’t even know that a documentary was being talked about or in the works in the first place. Very much looking forward to this…

• Upvote 4

Is the trailer for the new IBLP documentary being discussed anywhere? Amy (Duggar) King has shared it on her Instagram. Jill is interviewed in the documentary. 

(sorry if this has been discussed already, I’m slowly emerging from a post partum bubble and am catching up on everything else that’s been happening in the world 😅)

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

I think there’s a big difference between Jinger’s book and Jill participating in this documentary. Jinger refuses to say anything bad about her parents. She focuses 100% on Gothard and that’s it. But I have a feeling Jill won’t be completely protecting her parents in this documentary. Sure I don’t think she will shit all over them. But I also don’t think she will constantly defend them either. And that’s exactly why JB and Jill have a very strained relationship while Jinger says she still talks to her parents almost everyday. 

• Upvote 38
  • I Agree 8

I wonder if Jill will only criticize Jim Bob or if she will also say negative things about Michelle. My understanding is that her relationship with Jim Bob is very strained but somewhat better with Michelle. Michelle is equally responsible for how Jill was raised. But I think it would be easy perhaps for Jill to go after Jim Bob only because he was supposed to be the leader of the family. 

• Upvote 14

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think there’s a big difference between Jinger’s book and Jill participating in this documentary. Jinger refuses to say anything bad about her parents. She focuses 100% on Gothard and that’s it. But I have a feeling Jill won’t be completely protecting her parents in this documentary. Sure I don’t think she will shit all over them. But I also don’t think she will constantly defend them either. And that’s exactly why JB and Jill have a very strained relationship while Jinger says she still talks to her parents almost everyday. 

I suspect that JB is very afraid of Derick too. Derrick has a brain with degrees to prove it. JB is a thick uneducated blowhard. I’m no fan of Dericks but he has helped Jill wade out of IBL beliefs and is sending his boys to school. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 10

4 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Anyone else wishing they had picked a less earwormy song for the title? REM is now on repeat in my brain 🙃

I hope they got REM(Michael Stipe’s) permission 😂

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I don't know that there will be anything major that we, as people who have spent a lot of time discussing fundamentalism and IBLP, don't already know. But I think there are a lot of people that were casual watchers of 19 Kids or who just saw frequent pregnancy announcements on the Today Show and thought "oh what a nice family" who have never given a thought to the dark side of it all. Those people will probably learn a lot if they choose to watch. 

I hope so. I think itʻs good to have a mainstream production like this. Unlike FJ, many people tend to see the Duggars et al. as isolated oddballs, doing their own thing in AR. They do not know about the broader ties to RW Christianity and of course Christian nationalism. If a dramatic mini-series on Amazon opens a few more eyes, I'm all for it.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2

Well this is way more exciting than Jinger’s book. The show doesn’t look like it’s pulling any punches. I’m thrilled the things we talk about here will finally be reaching a large audience. That matters a lot more than whether we get any new details. But I think we will get new details. 

I expect they’ll talk about the Bates and their show. They are on the board of IBLP, and are staging their lives as public relations for the cult. I bet People dropped Lawson’s baby announcement over this. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, Alysabeth said:

Is the trailer for the new IBLP documentary being discussed anywhere? Amy (Duggar) King has shared it on her Instagram. Jill is interviewed in the documentary. 

(sorry if this has been discussed already, I’m slowly emerging from a post partum bubble and am catching up on everything else that’s been happening in the world 😅)

Just came to post the trailer. Comes out June 2.  https://people.com/tv/duggar-family-prime-video-docuseries-shiny-happy-people-trailer-exclusive/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Yeah, they show up for a nanosecond in the trailer and I feel like they will be mentioned in the documentary but barely..I think it will.be all Duggars and Gothard. 

I am not sure how they can discuss Gothard without Gil.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Anyone else wishing they had picked a less earwormy song for the title? REM is now on repeat in my brain 🙃

Will the documentary point out that while most viewers will recognize the song, the Duggar children (and other kids raised in IBLP) have never heard it, nor any music by REM or the B-52s? 

I don't know that Jill has a desire to publicly speak against any family members besides Josh, but her participation should legitimize the documentary for the Duggar fan base (or whatever's left).

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I'm singing that song too......along with Anne Wilson's Hey Girl. One of those "happy dance" songs. So, hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am not sure how they can discuss Gothard without Gil.

Bonus points if Dr. Paine, the Kellers, and Pecan Waller get at least a mention.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Bonus points if Dr. Paine, the Kellers, and Pecan Waller get at least a mention.

Tia Levings is interviewed and I know she references the Wallers fairly regularly in her reels. She refers to Pecan as a Gothard-wannabe. I would not be surprised if that comes up in the documentary. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

The more people that who find out what Gothard preached and what the Duggars believe/d the better. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

35 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

The more people that who find out what Gothard preached and what the Duggars believe/d the better. 

This is what I'm most excited about. I doubt anything in there will surprise me but if people who think convicted child predator Joshua Duggar is the only problematic entity* in that family I'm glad they'll get new info. 

*not sure what word I'm looking for here

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

There was a clip in the preview of Micheala and some other Bates (and maybe a little Bates not receiving education when they talk about homeshooling?) 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I wish they’d throw the Pearls under the bus at the same time as the others.  Add in Above Rubies and the KJV only teaching.  It’ll be interesting to see if they have a safe place for people who were once or are but want out, involved in all of this to go to for further support. I won’t watch because the Duggars coverup of Josh and the lack of help for the girls triggers me. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic