IGNORED

Joy & Austin 34: Baby Three

Coconut Flan

I think Gunner is a bit like Hunter in that people think it has a vibe or sound they like but aren’t necessarily into guns or hunting. Joy and Austin probably liked the gun association but a surfer Gunner is probs just gunning for the next championship.

6 hours ago, LillyP said:

One of them is pretty into duck hunting, but otherwise we're a coastal town where the primary focus is surfing and fishing. I think people expect everyone's names to have some deep meaning and sometimes it's nothing more than someone liking a name. My older brother's name came from a soap show my mom used to watch - no special meaning other than she liked it. 🤣 

Yeah, on a parenting forum I was on, someone asked whether you’d be put off by a name’s meaning if you liked the name. Someone commented that they’d avoid names with a strong religious connotation but otherwise wouldn’t care, and she didn’t actually know the meaning of her son’s name. Her son was Christopher.

Edited by Smee
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

I think name meanings are important, and I would never name my child something I wasn't okay with the meaning of, or at least wasn't the name of a family member I wanted to honor. For example, I like the sound of the name Portia, but it means pig, so that would be a no. 

To be honest, it's only really in more modern times, and, it seems in the West, that we don't choose names with regard for their meanings. Most of history that was an important part, which is why names have meanings to begin with. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Apparently Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag from The Hills named their son Gunner. My daughter was just talking about them and I looked and they spelled it the same way.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/spencer-pratt-heidi-montag-didnt-leave-sons-side-for-year/

They also have a Ryker so it seems like both Bates and Duggars are using them as inspiration.

• Haha 2

My name means “lame one”, so not the best association! I’m guessing my parents just liked the sound of the name and didn’t think about the meaning (if they knew it at all).

• Haha 1

I used to love the name Reagan, but I can’t get the presidential connotation out of my head the more and more I see Reagan ‘84 t-shirts around Florida all the time. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

12 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My name means “lame one”, so not the best association! I’m guessing my parents just liked the sound of the name and didn’t think about the meaning (if they knew it at all).

If I had a girl she would be Cecelia. I looked up the meaning and it meant blind. But I was like, “meh I’ll still use it since I love it.” But I have boys. So no Cecelia. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I used to love the name Reagan, but I can’t get the presidential connotation out of my head the more and more I see Reagan ‘84 t-shirts around Florida all the time. 

My friend Regan called me at work one day in the early 90's. My coworker picked up the phone, turned to me and said 'the President is on the phone for you', lol. We had a good laugh.

• Haha 5

I read Regan and Reagan as re gun/gahn/gan not ray so it does not remind me of Ronald at at all 

Helps that he was not my president 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2023 at 7:10 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

Who is wearing these shirts? Is it the old people?

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:24 AM, Smee said:

Someone commented that they’d avoid names with a strong religious connotation but otherwise wouldn’t care, and she didn’t actually know the meaning of her son’s name. Her son was Christopher.

She was right, in a way, though. At least here, Christopher is such a common run-of-the-mill name for people in their 30s/40s/50s that no one would think the parents chose it due to its Christian connotation, or that the parents would even be Christian at all. It’s the same “type” of name as Alexander, Stefan, Daniel… just a really normal average name.

I can imagine that what this woman meant by “religious connotation” would be something like “Jedidiah”.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

On 6/28/2023 at 6:18 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If I had a girl she would be Cecelia. I looked up the meaning and it meant blind. But I was like, “meh I’ll still use it since I love it.” But I have boys. So no Cecelia. 

My nurses name was spelled Secelia.  A spelling I haven’t seen.  I asked her how to pronounce it because I figure if she’s calling me by name it’s nice if I do the same and it’s the same as Cecelia.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

She was right, in a way, though. At least here, Christopher is such a common run-of-the-mill name for people in their 30s/40s/50s that no one would think the parents chose it due to its Christian connotation, or that the parents would even be Christian at all. It’s the same “type” of name as Alexander, Stefan, Daniel… just a really normal average name.

I can imagine that what this woman meant by “religious connotation” would be something like “Jedidiah”.

Oh absolutely, it’s incredibly mainstream. But as a name nerd who cares very much about her kids’ name meanings it amused me that she didn’t know it had a religious meaning when Christ is literally right there in the name. 

On 6/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, mango_fandango said:

Claudia? 

There are a few nice names with unfortunate meanings. Cameron means crooked nose, which seems a bit cruel for a child but again, plenty of people wouldn’t know.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Who is wearing these shirts? Is it the old people?

No, anyone really. I had an old boss who wore one on a work zoom call and he was probably mid 40's.

(and that was probably the least offensive thing he ever did).

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Smee said:

Oh absolutely, it’s incredibly mainstream. But as a name nerd who cares very much about her kids’ name meanings it amused me that she didn’t know it had a religious meaning when Christ is literally right there in the name. 

Claudia? 

There are a few nice names with unfortunate meanings. Cameron means crooked nose, which seems a bit cruel for a child but again, plenty of people wouldn’t know.

Yep! That’s the one! 
One meaning of the name Mary is apparently “bitter”, from a Hebrew root that also gives the word “myrrh”. But there are other meanings too like “beloved” which is a lot better. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

No, anyone really. I had an old boss who wore one on a work zoom call and he was probably mid 40's.

(and that was probably the least offensive thing he ever did).

That cracks me up.  Dh grew up in Reagan’s home town and aside from the local museum (maybe in Reagan’s home too, never been there) I’ve never even seen a Reagan shirt.  And the people love Reagan—it’s a great source of pride that they are hometown of Reagan.   FIL I believe has an election poster.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2023 at 7:10 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

Ronald Reagan famously said "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.""  I work for the federal government and every time I meet someone born in the 80s or later named Reagan (I know 4), I assume their parents must be terribly disappointed that their little Reagans grew up to join the federal government they so despise*. 

*Except when some sort of disaster strikes, then most of their opposition to the government takes a sabbatical while they seek their FEMA freebies. 

• Upvote 8

On 6/28/2023 at 7:18 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know several people named Cecelia (or Sheila) because she is the patron saint of music. Gotta say though, in my (most Irish-American family) nobody cares about the original meaning of a name. Past generations usually named for a relative or favorite saint (lot of overlap here), but now people just pick what they like the sound of.

• Upvote 5

In my country, name is part of prayer and hope from the parents to their child, so we tend to pick them carefully when it comes to meaning. Although there's an ethnic group in my country with an old tradition of naming their kids with what is the first thing the dad sees when his child is born. I have a friend named Banyan Tree (yeah, complete with the "Tree" part) but in their language because allegedly that was the first thing his dad saw. Rather unfortunate because in my country banyan tree is believed to be where spooky things like ghost and evil spirit live. My friend goes by his baptist name because he hates his actual name so much.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

My parents, especially my mom took great care in picking our names, looking into meanings, ect. 

I know several people whose tradition is opening a Bible and pointing, and that's the name. Most of them luckily I guess keep going until they find an actual name, but I've known a Queen Esther  and a Bridal Veil. The former unfortunately had severe mental health issues and it didn't help that she of course introduced herself always as Queen Esther. The latter was named because that's what he mother's sister pointed to in the Bible. I like my sister but no way

• Sad 1
  • WTF 4

4 hours ago, patsymae said:

I know several people whose tradition is opening a Bible and pointing, and that's the name. Most of them luckily I guess keep going until they find an actual name, but I've known a Queen Esther  and a Bridal Veil. The former unfortunately had severe mental health issues and it didn't help that she of course introduced herself always as Queen Esther. The latter was named because that's what he mother's sister pointed to in the Bible. I like my sister but no way

They’d be better off using a random Bible name generator like this:

https://thestoryshack.com/tools/biblical-name-generator/?v=1

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

I ran it several times and I had no idea so many familiar names were in the bible, like Dorothy and Kathleen, etc. Obviously I'm not a bible reader.

According to a Google search, those exact names are not in the Bible.  Maybe a form of those names?

• Upvote 3

Joy sucked me into her latest YouTube video. Gunner has an umbilical hernia. She showed it and it made me squeamish. The doctor said it will probably resolve itself by the time he’s two. 

The Forsyths are on an RV trip with Jed and Katey to Yellowstone. Where do they get the energy to do this with new babies? The RV had a few problems along the way. This doesn’t sound like a vacation to me at all.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

You notice your infant has a hernia and delay his 1 month exam by 2 weeks. These folks are idiots.

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 4