IGNORED

Erin and Chad 10: Will they homeschool?

samurai_sarah

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I say Hudson Liam Paine. 

This is a good one. I think she will stick to a son name. 

Hudson is spot-on. So spot-on I’m having trouble coming up with other options (Brayden, maybe?). And yes, William or John for the middle. She likes trendy, he likes traditional. The good news is that they always announce the name early so we won’t be kept in suspense long. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, llucie said:

She has a brother Judson so it may be too similar.

I think rhyming might be ok for her. Since there are so many family members. It might get hard to not have any rhyming names in the family. I think they may call him Jud a lot too. Jud and Jeb.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think rhyming might be ok for her. Since there are so many family members. It might get hard to not have any rhyming names in the family. I think they may call him Jud a lot too. Jud and Jeb.

The others seem to be ok with rhyming. Callie and Allie, Maci and Kaci, Kade and Zade, Khloe and Zoey. 

Erin is big on nicknames, although weirdly she doesn:t seem to do it with Carson (maybe be she Carson is already a nickname). But she calls the girls Brookie, Evy, Holly and Finnie. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

The others seem to be ok with rhyming. Callie and Allie, Maci and Kaci, Kade and Zade, Khloe and Zoey. 

Erin is big on nicknames, although weirdly she doesn:t seem to do it with Carson (maybe be she Carson is already a nickname). But she calls the girls Brookie, Evy, Holly and Finnie. 

Carson isn't his actual name. It's the same as  Chad's name and Chad's father. It might be Charles. I can't quite remember but I recall something about this when Erin did the name announcement for Carson. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

Or, according to the gender reveal video, Brookie Cookie, Evy Wevvie, Holly Pup and Finnie Winnie, 

Edited by postscript
  • Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Carson isn't his actual name. It's the same as  Chad's name and Chad's father. It might be Charles. I can't quite remember but I recall something about this when Erin did the name announcement for Carson. 

Yes, that is what I said. Carson is already a nickname. He is Charles Stephen Paine IV

32 minutes ago, postscript said:

Or, according to the gender reveal video, Brookie Cookie, Evy Wevvie, Holly Pup and Finnic Winnie, 

I was trying to catch what she called Holly, I knew it didn't rhyme like the others. I do this with my kids, ad silly rhymes or alterations to their names. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 2

Hudson is a famous missionary name, too, so I think it's a likely bet.

I know a little girl named Avonlea. She goes by Ava sometimes, for a nickname. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, postscript said:

Or, according to the gender reveal video, Brookie Cookie, Evy Wevvie, Holly Pup and Finnie Winnie, 

I thought Erin said Holly Pop, which I thought was cute. More cute than the others!

• Upvote 2

I’ve always found it a bit odd to name a child one name, but say from the beginning that you’re going to call them something completely different. Not like “his name is Charles but we’re calling him Charlie”, or “his name is William but we’re calling him Bill”, but when it’s a completely different name, like Charles but they say from the beginning that they’re calling him Carson. To me it would make more sense to use the official name as a middle name, ie Carson Charles 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

31 minutes ago, Keys said:

I’ve always found it a bit odd to name a child one name, but say from the beginning that you’re going to call them something completely different. Not like “his name is Charles but we’re calling him Charlie”, or “his name is William but we’re calling him Bill”, but when it’s a completely different name, like Charles but they say from the beginning that they’re calling him Carson. To me it would make more sense to use the official name as a middle name, ie Carson Charles 

Chad’s parents already set the precedent by naming him Charles Stephen Paine III and calling him Chad, not a conventional nickname for Charles. So Erin and Chad did the same thing. Family tradition. What will Carson call his firstborn son? Chance, Chase, Carter?

• Upvote 5

On 6/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, Hazelbunny said:

How old is Carson? 9? So by the time "The Silver child" is of an age where he can play properly Carson will be a teenager and won't be playing the same things anymore... 

My children are similar age gap. I thought they weren't going to play together, but they did! The eldest was fascinated with the baby 

Anyway, there's a big difference with Paines: Carson already has 4 sisters to play. I guess he and Brooklyn are very close, plus he has already enjoyed baby siblings. So the baby boy is not going to be that special for Carson. Because baby boys are exactly like baby girls...

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Anyway, there's a big difference with Paines: Carson already has 4 sisters to play. I guess he and Brooklyn are very close, plus he has already enjoyed baby siblings. So the baby boy is not going to be that special for Carson. Because baby boys are exactly like baby girls...

But his parents will harp on and on about how it is. And Carson will soon discover the truth and be disappointed. 

Chad and Erin are doing a wonderful job of setting him up for future deconstruction. First encouraging him to pray for a baby brother, which failed. And now they'll be pushing gender stereotypes hard core which Carson is old enough to see through. All it takes is a few things his parents teach him to not add up for him to start questioning things later on. 

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, Baxter said:

Carson is actually Charles Stephen Paine, IV.  Which is how Chad became Chad-nickname for Charles Stephen Paine III.  I presume at lrast one of the predecessors is either Charlie or Chuck. I think Chad's dad (II) goes by Steve if I am not mistaken. 

If Carson has a son it will be interesting to see what nickname/alternative name they can derive out of Charles Stephen. 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
Addition
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Keys said:

We nicknamed our older son right out of the womb since he was named after his dad. Just so we didn’t get them mixed up. But it doesn’t bother me that other people don’t like when people do this. I honestly don’t get defensive about name choices. To me it’s like getting defensive over criticism of a favorite color or food. We all won’t agree. And that’s ok.

• Upvote 12

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We nicknamed our older son right out of the womb since he was named after his dad. Just so we didn’t get them mixed up. But it doesn’t bother me that other people don’t like when people do this. I honestly don’t get defensive about name choices. To me it’s like getting defensive over criticism of a favorite color or food. We all won’t agree. And that’s ok.

Yep, my daughter shares my aunt's name and we picked the short form of her name to call her at birth, making sure to pick a different short form than my aunt uses. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Carson is actually Charles Stephen Paine, IV.  Which is how Chad became Chad-nickname for Charles Stephen Paine III.  I presume at lrast one of the predecessors is either Charlie or Chuck. I think Chad's dad (II) goes by Steve if I am not mistaken. 

If Carson has a son it will be interesting to see what nickname/alternative name they can derive out of Charles Stephen. 

It is just a very common naming practice in the Southern US. Lots of people do this. An example is country singer Luke Bryan. His name is Thomas Luther Bryan but he has always gone by Luke. He did the exact same thing with his son, Thomas Boyer Bryan "Bo".  Formally, the middle name is their mother's maiden name and the nickname is just whatever the parents want. I don't know why people do this but it is just what they do. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

They could name #6 Stephen Charles and call him Cannes, Columbus or Cleveland.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Keys said:

Thank you! I know people can do what they want, but this bothers me no end! Carson is not a nickname for Charles. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Ah, honestly, people can name and call their kids what they want, I don't really care. Most of them probably wouldn't like my kids' names either, and their nicknames even less. The only thing I'm a bit tired of is the fundie habit of assigning some deep meaning to a name, based on very little evidence. Like, call your kid Kade all you want, if you think it sounds cool, but don't pretend it means "the fourth" in any language known to man. Pet peeve of mine, because words do have meanings.  I don't think it's a problem if you choose a name solely based on what it sounds like. Just stop with the making up of meanings.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, WannabeHistorian said:

But his parents will harp on and on about how it is. And Carson will soon discover the truth and be disappointed. 

Chad and Erin are doing a wonderful job of setting him up for future deconstruction. First encouraging him to pray for a baby brother, which failed. And now they'll be pushing gender stereotypes hard core which Carson is old enough to see through. All it takes is a few things his parents teach him to not add up for him to start questioning things later on. 

Your post warrants an "I hope you are right but unfortunately I have my doubts" reaction 🤣

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Ah, honestly, people can name and call their kids what they want, I don't really care. Most of them probably wouldn't like my kids' names either, and their nicknames even less. The only thing I'm a bit tired of is the fundie habit of assigning some deep meaning to a name, based on very little evidence. Like, call your kid Kade all you want, if you think it sounds cool, but don't pretend it means "the fourth" in any language known to man. Pet peeve of mine, because words do have meanings.  I don't think it's a problem if you choose a name solely based on what it sounds like. Just stop with the making up of meanings.

I always want to tell these people, you know it’s ok just to love a name without any sort of deep meaning. Loving a name is enough of a reason to choose it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I think Erin called Holland Holly Pop, like lollipop. 

I actually applaud Erin for her nicknaming, solely bc it bucks the patriarchy. I don’t think she would ever admit it or even be aware of it, but Erin has a preference for androgynous names (some of them happen to also be place names, but I think that’s by chance). Not one girl name on any of her lists has ended in a. In order to get away with this, she agreed to more feminine sounding nicknames and traditional middle names. “Chad, Holland is not that strange, we can call her Holly! Isn’t that cute? That’s a girls’ name. She can still grow up to be a proverbs 31 woman.” 

Also, what is more patriarchal than the system of naming generations of boys after their fathers? Women change their own surnames, give birth to a child, and not only have to give every single child their husband’s surname, but also give their son all 3 of the father’s names, in its entirety, whether she likes those names or not. It’s insane! Charles could not be more antithetical to Erin’s naming style. And calling him Charles or Charlie or Stevie or Stephen was not going to cut it.

This is a person who painted her room pink bc she’d never been able to control her own space before. Carson is much more her naming style, even if it wasn’t her first choice. She skirted the patriarchal system by cleverly choosing a name she liked, agreeing to a hated formal legal name, and arguing that this nickname wasn’t too out of line bc it still shared 4 letters with his legal first name. Maybe she even argued that Carson could actually mean Charles’s son? Thank god Chad is the type of fundie headship who allows for nicknames and pink rooms, but I would guess on this one she also had to placate Charles the elder (aka IBLP board member). I’m giving Erin some neck controlling the patriarchal fundie head credit on this one. 

Also, I don’t think she will use Hudson solely bc as of now each of her children has a unique distinctive initial. Not enough data to definitively establish a pattern, but my guess is she won’t reuse C, B, E, H or F again unless there’s another name she absolutely loves (she did have Harbor on her previous girl list, which would have broken this rule). My guess is Grayson. She can spin it to mean God’s Grace in finally answering Carson’s prayers for them to have a son. 

And I also vote William for a middle name. Even though Chad picks it, I think they’ll want to honor Erin’s dad (and not with Gilvin!), plus she’s close to both papa bill and Lawson. And William is such a common traditional name, I wouldn’t be surprised if Chad has some Williams in his family tree too. Grayson William Paine. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always want to tell these people, you know it’s ok just to love a name without any sort of deep meaning. Loving a name is enough of a reason to choose it. 

That's exactly why our son was named what he was named.  We both loved the name. That was all.   However, many folks thought that because my husband is a die-hard hockey fan, that our son was named after a well-known hockey star that played for our beloved area team.  He wasn't.  

Our son's middle name is my dad's first name.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic