IGNORED

Erin and Chad 10: Will they homeschool?

samurai_sarah

I never heard about the holli-pop name but I have to say I think that's kind of adorable, at least for a little one. I have a daughter that I called KitKat when she was little. And maybe just sometimes now that's she's 21. ❤️

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

There’s a fundie name Holly Daye. Yes, her middle name is Daye.

Holly pop is cuter than someone I know named Holly that was occasionally nicknamed HollsBalls. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There’s a fundie name Holly Daye. Yes, her middle name is Daye.

Holly pop is cuter than someone I know named Holly that was occasionally nicknamed HollsBalls. 

My friend Holly gets Holly Polly from me lol just cause it rolls off the tongue...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I thought Brookie Cookie was pretty cute too. 

Yes, but it reminds me the Duggars: Jana Banana, Jessa Blessa... 

Michelle and JB are called Lolli and Pops by their grandkids.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yes, but it reminds me the Duggars: Jana Banana, Jessa Blessa... 

Michelle and JB are called Lolli and Pops by their grandkids.

I mean I do this with my kids, so I didn't go fundie association (also have never seen a single episode of any of the Duggars shows)

• Upvote 3

I fell down the Tubi rabbit hole over the long weekend and the way that Erin has "Michelle Duggarized" her voice from season 6 to season 11 is very noticeable. In throwbacks to her courtship you could hear the "affected" speech, but after she was married, her voice was normal for a while without all the pauses and whispers. Now it just makes me cringe.

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

I don’t get the problem with using Carson as a nickname for Charles#5(?). A nickname doesn’t have to be a derivation of the actual name? 
In my parents generation it was a pretty popular concept that your nickname in your friends group was established through an incident or talent or whatever. There would be a joker or a woodworm or something similar. In my youth we distinguished classmates with the same name over the family name. Calling them Smith even though their name was Daniel. Thinking about it, we did that even with people that didn’t share a name. Shortening names was also always a thing. 
People don’t necessarily tend to have the same nickname in all settings. My parents use(d) a petname for me that never went beyond this circle. My colleagues sometimes call me Bernadette (after Big Bang Theory). Non of my friends do though because I don’t communicate in a professional setting with them- so the nickname makes less sense, and they knew me way before I was in the career I am now.
So most people might call you a shortened version but you can actually have other nicknames as well. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

A nickname doesn’t have to be a derivation of the actual name? 
In my parents generation it was a pretty popular concept that your nickname in your friends group was established through an incident or talent or whatever.

This reminds me of a story about Prince George’s nickname given to him by his classmates. First they were calling him PG for Prince George. Apparently there’s a brand of tea called PG Tips. So the kids started calling George “Tips.” I thought that was so clever.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Nicknames definitely evolve. My family is full of nicknames. Some people have multiple nicknames. It can be based on a funny story. Or it could be based on a person’s looks. Like someone being nicknamed Tiny because they are petite. I think the problem people have with Carson and Kade is that they aren’t typical nicknames of Charles and the 4th. It’s not a huge deal. Its just something that could bother people. 

• I Agree 1

Agree about the nicknames. We have a great friend whose nickname started as a play on his name and has evolved to the point that I actually would feel unnatural calling him by his actual name. 

My own nickname was given by my sister who is 14 years younger than me. She couldn't say my name, and when learning to talk it came out something that doesn't even sound remotely close to my name. Somehow it stuck and my entire family and even some of our close friends call me it. I'm sure people are confused as heck when they hear me called it. 

I never understood how Dick became a nickname for Richard. Or Bill being a nickname for William. Makes zero sense yet people never question that because it's become a normal part of society over the years.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LillyP said:

I never understood how Dick became a nickname for Richard. Or Bill being a nickname for William. Makes zero sense yet people never question that because it's become a normal part of society over the years.

I see a very little kid saying "I'm Dee-chard' Dick. Or Bee-lliam... Bill. I mean, toddlers speak like that sometimes.

12 hours ago, LillyP said:

I never understood how Dick became a nickname for Richard. Or Bill being a nickname for William.

Oooh, I know that one! Apparently (or so I was taught) there was a phase when rhyming nicknames were popular in England - might have been as far back as the Middle Ages, I’m a bit hazy on the details. So Rick became Dick, Will became Bill, Maggie became Peggy, and so on.

As for the, ahem… vulgar use of „dick“, I’m pretty sure that came about later, long after Dick was a popular name.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 6/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

I fell down the Tubi rabbit hole over the long weekend and the way that Erin has "Michelle Duggarized" her voice from season 6 to season 11 is very noticeable. In throwbacks to her courtship you could hear the "affected" speech, but after she was married, her voice was normal for a while without all the pauses and whispers. Now it just makes me cringe.

She is SO cringe!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

On 6/22/2023 at 8:13 AM, Nothing if not critical said:

Oooh, I know that one! Apparently (or so I was taught) there was a phase when rhyming nicknames were popular in England - might have been as far back as the Middle Ages, I’m a bit hazy on the details. So Rick became Dick, Will became Bill, Maggie became Peggy, and so on.

As for the, ahem… vulgar use of „dick“, I’m pretty sure that came about later, long after Dick was a popular name.

Dick is also an oldfashion Dutch name, short for Diederik. But it is very unpopular in the lates generations because of the influence of English.

On the other hand, when I was young I was also laughing a lot whenever the mentioned Bill Clinton on the news since 'bil' means butt in Dutch. There was also a character named Bill on the Guess Who?-game and whenever the other person got that one you instantly knew because they would be chuckling as soon as they saw it. I think kids by now are so used to English names they might not think it is funny anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Dickon was a recorded nickname for Richard (first recorded use is a portrait of Richard III) but there is no record of Dickon and Dick being used by the same person, so there may have been class elements involved. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 1

In Erin's case, I think this happened: She liked the name Carson, but she needed to be respectful to her husband's stupid family traditions. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, just_ordinary said:

I don’t get the problem with using Carson as a nickname for Charles#5(?). A nickname doesn’t have to be a derivation of the actual name? 

I think it’s just odd because “Carson” was never intended to be used as a nickname. It IS his first name, yet it’s not  what he’s called officially. It’s not a nickname that evolved, it’s not a nickname used interchangeably with his real first name, it’s the ONLY name ever used. Most children with a nickname will answer with their official name when asked by someone they don’t know or in a more “formal” setting. Carson may not even know that his actual name is Charles. And yes, I do find that odd.

• I Agree 6

53 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I think it’s just odd because “Carson” was never intended to be used as a nickname. It IS his first name, yet it’s not  what he’s called officially. It’s not a nickname that evolved, it’s not a nickname used interchangeably with his real first name, it’s the ONLY name ever used. Most children with a nickname will answer with their official name when asked by someone they don’t know or in a more “formal” setting. Carson may not even know that his actual name is Charles. And yes, I do find that odd.

"Charles" is a family name they've proudly used for four generations.  I think Carson probably knows about it.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

This is very normal among people who like traditional names. I have quite a few relatives where they use the nickname exclusively. They are both very traditional and also like formal names on the resume. 

It stands out in Erin's family since her girls all have trendy names. If you don't like the trendy names, I would think Charles nn Carson would appeal to the traditionalists here. Just proves that people are never happy.

• Upvote 1

I think Carson works well as a nickname for Charles. I was stunned that it's not actually a derivative 'Son of Charles' because 'Car' and 'Char;' just makes so much sense.

• Upvote 2

Accidentally my maternal grandpa and my father had the same first name and were called by the same common nickname (think something like John/Jack). Until they reached adulthood they both thought that Jack was their official name and when they received their first official letter they were both like "Who is John?"

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Yes, thank you! That’s what I was trying to say. I’m sorry - I didn’t mean to come across as judgemental. And maybe it’s a regional thing too, where doing this is not at all common in my area. I totally understand nicknames. Just wondered why they would name him one name but decide right from the beginning that he would go by something completely different. But I understand it has to do with the family name too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keys said:

Just wondered why they would name him one name but decide right from the beginning that he would go by something completely different. But I understand it has to do with the family name too. 

I guess they didnt like Charles at all, but didn’t dare go against the family tradition either.

Even in non-fundie families dealing with family expectations on naming can be tough. It is YOUR decision as the parents, but at the same time you don’t want to disappoint anyone. I know many people who comprised on middle names so that grandpa/grandma/favorite aunt wouldn’t feel left out. Sometimes it really is about honoring a beloved grandparent or happily and proudly following a family tradition, but sometimes it’s more of a “we really don’t like naming our kid that, but they will be so disappointed if we don’t… ok, we’ll at least use it as a third name, our kid won’t ever have to actually use it.”

It must be so much harder when the family tradition is about first names!

I'm a female working in a very macho, male environment and about six months ago I pushed back against the guys when they were moaning about transgender being a bullshit concept and how "they're all only looking for attention"... :angry-banghead:

Apparently because I spoke in defence of the transgender community, I must be transgender.:confusion-confused:

I've been called Peter in work for the last six months. 

• Confused 2
  • WTF 7
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic