IGNORED

Political Memes, Comics, and other Shenanigans, Part 44

GreyhoundFan

97922535-B4D6-4445-9243-08588C3ED66C.thumb.jpeg.5dfab6252d5048da2ec53d65658fe078.jpeg

• Upvote 4

828B4E49-9445-455E-BC52-FF79FFC265CA.jpeg

• Upvote 9

image.png.7f93efdb2baa3b2ffef8933c8f98f9b5.png

"Woke Hurricane"

I have a lot of friends in Florida, as I’m sure you do as well. At the rate people are moving to the Sunshine State (making it the third most populous in the nation), it’s probably impossible not to know someone in Florida. And I’m concerned for my friends in Florida. I don’t want to call them “Floridians” because some of them truly don’t like it there and would take offense to the label. But still, they live there nonetheless.

I’m concerned for my friends in Florida because of Hurricane Ian, which is making a beeline for my friend Karen’s house (who definitely doesn’t want to be labeled as a “Floridian”). This is a bad storm and I’m afraid there will be a staggering loss of lives in addition to the billions in property damage. Plus, Karen just put in a new pool. I tell her every day to check for alligators before diving in. After this storm, she might find manatees in her pool.

I’m concerned for my friends at the Sarasota News-Tribune because I can’t afford to lose another client. Seriously, hang in there, guys. I’m thinking of you.

It’s not just the hurricane that scares me for the good people who live in Florida. I’m also scared for them because of the largest threat to the state, Republicans.

Republicans are in charge of the state. They have the governorship and the legislature. With that, they’re making a lot of stupid and racist laws. They’re crafting laws that harm their state just to own the liberals. They unloaded a huge tax burden on Floridians to spite Disney.

They’re making it illegal to teach any American history that would make white kids feel guilty. They’re outlawing compassion in schools as they outlawed “gay” curriculums. They’re banning books. They literally passed a law against “wokeness” in business and higher education, which was struck down by a court. They passed a law making it legal to run over Black Lives Matter protesters with your car (yes, they did this). Governor Ron DeSantis made the state less safe during the COVID pandemic, forcing students and teachers to go to schools without face masks. He publicly shamed students for wearing face masks by scolding them while pointing his pointy racist finger at them. And, DeSantis is removing elected Democrats from office.

On top of all that, Republicans deny that Climate Change exists while filling sandbags for an approaching category 4 hurricane. But it’s OK. The hurricane is named “Ian,” which is a nice Scottish name. Now, if it was a Hurricane Carlos, Hurricane Maria, Hurricane Lopez, or Hurricane Jesus, then I’m sure DeSantis and his fellow goons would be blaming Biden and say he opened the border for illegal hurricanes. It’s a hurricane invasion.

A Hurricane Alejandro will take your job. A Hurricane Emilia will be a welfare queen. A Hurricane Diego will never bother to learn English. Hurricane Isadora will never assimilate. Hurricane Estaban will leer at your white daughter. Hurricane Lorenzo will illegally vote Democratic. Hurricane Fernando is probably a member of MS-13. Hurricane Juanita will put a taco truck on every corner. A Hurricane Pablo will lie and tell you Taco Bell isn’t authentic Mexican cuisine. Oh no! And if you really wanna see them lose their shit, wait until Hurricane Mohammed arrives.

But don’t worry too much. This hurricane is an Ian if you listen to Trump, Ians don’t come from shit-hole countries. Nobody’s deporting Ians to Martha’s Vineyard. We don’t need a wall to protect us from Ians.

By the way, the water keeps getting higher and higher on those Florida hurricane walls. I wonder why.

Now, I really want a taco.

Creative note: I started this cartoon yesterday morning and right after I had it spellchecked by Laura and Hilary, I thought of the Sharpie/hurricane cartoon. I liked that one much better and decided to do it then, pushing this one aside. I had decided this one would be placed on the back burner until the next hurricane, if not dead forever…but I changed my mind this morning. I still liked it.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, thoughtful said:

The inclusion of his stupid lame dancing is just brilliant. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

The inclusion of his stupid lame dancing is just brilliant. 

Especially since it's matched up with Schwimmer's, right after it.

• Upvote 5

image.png.e3dc567b2f9c1239244bc95bbae5a7ef.png

"Hurricane Ron"

Hurricane Dorian was an extremely powerful category 5 storm that hit the Atlantic ocean in 2019. It decimated much of the Bahamas before traveling up the east coast hitting Florida, Georgia, North Carolina (where it made landfall), and Virginia. It even hit Newfoundland and Nova Scotia with hurricane-force winds before finally petering out over Greenland. Note that none of those places are Alabama.

When storms develop in the Atlantic Ocean, forecasts for where the storm is a threat range from Mexico to Canada. By the time the current president (sic) at that time sent out a tweet on the storm, the Gulf of Mexico was not in the projections and every forecast had it going up the east coast. But, when you have a racist gameshow host clown president, misinformation will be sent out. And when that clown is contradicted, the clown will order every government agency to lie for him so his feelings aren’t hurt.

Proving that he didn’t pay attention to his daily briefings on threats to the nation, Trump tweeted that Alabama was in danger. It was not. But, Alabama is a yee-haw state that would rather listen to Trump than to scientists. So, fucknuts started calling local weather bureaus. In response to this, the Birmingham office of the National Weather Service tweeted that  Alabama “will NOT see any impacts from Dorian.”

NWS director Louis Uccellini said that the Birmingham NWS had not been responding to Trump’s tweet, but rather to a flood of phone calls and social media contacts their office had received, asking if the hurricane was going to hit Alabama. He added that the Birmingham office “did what any office would do to protect the public”, counteracting the wrong information to “stop public panic” and “ensure public safety.”

Donald Trump didn’t like this. He didn’t like being contradicted. He could have just said “oops,” even though it wasn’t a simple mistake. It caused panic in Alabama as it ranks 5th in states with the most mobile homes per capita. But Trump can’t handle being wrong, so he doubled down.

Donald Trump displayed a map in the Oval Office of Hurricane Dorian’s trajectory and it looked like someone had edited the path…with a Sharpie. We all know who loves to make obscenely huge signatures with Sharpies, but the Trump administration clung to the bullshit.

White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney ordered Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to order the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to back up Trump’s stupid claim and disavow the tweet from the Birmingham NWS office. There are reports that Ross threatened to fire people if this wasn’t done. Later reports from the press said Trump himself told his staff they needed to get the contradiction fixed.

NOAA published an unsigned statement supporting Trump’s claim and said the Birmingham tweet was wrong. It also contradicted itself as NOAA issued a September 1 statement that the “current forecast path of Dorian does not include Alabama.” September 1 was also the day when Trump originally claimed Alamba was in the forecast path.

What this did was undermine trust in our nation’s weather service.

The president of the NWS Employees Organization commented that the statement was “political”, “utterly disgusting and disingenuous”, and with “no scientific basis.”

The Commerce Department’s Inspector General Peggy E. Gustafson wrote a message to NOAA staffers saying the NWS “must maintain standards of scientific integrity,” adding that the statement called into question “the NWS’s processes, scientific independence, and ability to communicate accurate and timely weather warnings and data to the nation in times of national emergency.”

Craig N. McLean, NOAA’s acting chief scientist, said “the content of this press release is very concerning as it compromises the ability of NOAA to convey life-saving information necessary to avoid substantial and specific danger to public health and safety.” He also said he was “pursuing the potential violations of our NOAA Administrative Order on Scientific Integrity.”

Journalist Timothy O’Brien said, “NOAA, an agency built on science and data engineered to provide reliable, impartial information and serve the public interest, wound up purging science and data from its public profile to cover for Trump. This is how good government decays when it’s compromised by a cult of personality.”

Robert Reich said, “I think we have to face the truth that no one seems to want to admit. This is no longer a case of excessive narcissism or grandiosity. We’re not simply dealing with an unusually large ego. The president of the United States is seriously, frighteningly, dangerously unstable. And he’s getting worse by the day.”

The phrase, “Don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining” is popular in the south, yet many Alabamans believed Trump when he said it was raining while he was pissing on their legs. Donald Trump literally lied about the weather and had the government support the lie.

Facts are eschewed in favor of cults of personality. Now in Florida, facts are pushed to the side as Republican Governor Ron DeSantis purges elected officials who disagree with him, bans books and curriculums on American history, wages war against Disney, and deports migrants to Martha’s Vineyard from Texas who he claims are somehow threatening Floridians.

Now, as Hurricane Ian threatens Florida, Ron DeSantis is the face of public safety long after his credibility has been shot from his constant lies. Ron DeSantis politicizes everything he touches for personal gain. Who says he won’t do that with a hurricane? Trump did.

If you believe there is such a thing called “covfefe,” or that there is a nation pronounced as “Thighland,” or we have a national park called “Yo-Semite,” or that Trump won, or that Ron DeSantis isn’t a disgusting condescending lying racist fascist, then you’re a sycophant.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

• Destiny locked this topic